ImageImageImageImageImage

OT - Amare to Heat?

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

sanity
RealGM
And1: 1,812

Re: OT - Amare to Heat? 

Post#41 » by sanity » Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:30 pm

Quite the big expiring since Amar'e will expire himself anyway. Whats the point of Pheonix doing such a trade if Barbosa could easily fetch talent on the market?

I think Miami would improve from the trade, but players like Haslem and Beasley will see their games suffer.
BrickHeads
Assistant Coach
And1: 94

Post#42 » by BrickHeads » Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:31 pm

Pchu wrote:The reason why the Suns would want to do this is that Amare might not opt out. He is due 18 mil next season. There is no way any team will pay him that.

If he doesn't opt out, then the Suns are screwed.

Really? I always thought he was a free agent this year I didn't know he had a player's option.
pspot
General Manager
And1: 283

Post#43 » by pspot » Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:32 pm

It would be interesting to see Amare go from playing with Nash to a team with no pure PG (well Alston) but you know what I mean
nm
TheVoiceOfSanity
Pro Prospect
And1: 19

Post#44 » by TheVoiceOfSanity » Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:37 pm

Barbosa makes $7.1 M next year.

Enought that if Amare doesn't sign with Heat , Heat probably won't be able to sign two max players.
RapTelligence
General Manager
And1: 96

Post#45 » by RapTelligence » Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:40 pm

The Heat really do not lose anything if Amare decides not to resign. Infact they could get more in a S&T from Amare then they would get for JO. PHO just using this to dump Barbosa? Can nevr figure Saravr
ranger001
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,752

Post#46 » by ranger001 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:41 pm

Its obvious that picks have to be involved. I'd guess they send Toronto's pick and a second possibly.
heemer
Veteran
And1: 14

Post#47 » by heemer » Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:42 pm

If they trade Amare don't they pretty much have to deal Nash? Why keep him around if they aren't going to be trying to contend.

Oh ****, what if Nash becomes available? For once it would make sense for us to go after him. Of course that only works if they want Jose, but still.
rapsrealm
Assistant Coach
And1: 424

Post#48 » by rapsrealm » Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:44 pm

The Miami board is a bit opposed to this deal since they think they can reel in a big time free agent this summer i.e. Bosh. They rather keep a core of Wade/Beasley and sign a FA opposed to this proposed deal.
Lord Eder
General Manager
And1: 16,625

Post#49 » by Lord Eder » Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:47 pm

heemer wrote:If they trade Amare don't they pretty much have to deal Nash? Why keep him around if they aren't going to be trying to contend.

Oh ****, what if Nash becomes available? For once it would make sense for us to go after him. Of course that only works if they want Jose, but still.

I think he'd go to New York for Larry Hughes
"Jerome Moiso with 2 rebounds and a steal.... Put him in the hall of fame!"
- Chuck Swirsky
stopnpop
Bench Warmer
And1: 18

Post#50 » by stopnpop » Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:50 pm

Awesome move for Miami if they do it. Amare will resign for max in Miami and that gives them the inside presence they need to go with Wade and Beasley.
I mean damn pg-chalmers sg-wade sf/pf-Beasley pf/c-Amare....thats a good starting set to which they can add a capable 3,4, or 5.

Would JO pull the classic vet move and not report? get bought out and then return to Miami? is that possible?
Alston/Wade/Beasley/Amare/JO...thats a contender

If Nash is available, would BC have the balls to send a package to PHX? would phx want a package of Caldy/Picks/and role players?
LeRozan
Sophomore
And1: 1

Post#51 » by LeRozan » Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:52 pm

alpha wrote:While Amare is a good to great player..he will go the way of the Matrix without Nash. (just a good player) Just watching the game against Dallas yesterday convinced me again.

Amare gets 80% of his baskets on easy dunks and layps all delivered and wrapped in a bow from Nash.

This is true. It amazes me how Steve Nash can make guys look way better
bboyskinnylegs
RealGM
And1: 25,497

Post#52 » by bboyskinnylegs » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:01 pm

stopnpop wrote:Awesome move for Miami if they do it. Amare will resign for max in Miami and that gives them the inside presence they need to go with Wade and Beasley.
I mean damn pg-chalmers sg-wade sf/pf-Beasley pf/c-Amare....thats a good starting set to which they can add a capable 3,4, or 5.

Would JO pull the classic vet move and not report? get bought out and then return to Miami? is that possible?
Alston/Wade/Beasley/Amare/JO...thats a contender

If Nash is available, would BC have the balls to send a package to PHX? would phx want a package of Caldy/Picks/and role players?

I think our only legit shot at Nash was this past offseason. After his impressive play this season, there's little to no chance Phoenix would trade him to us. Dragic is young and playing well, so I don't see them being interested in Jose. We dont have enough expirings, and any other trades would require us to gut our team.
Lateral Quicks
RealGM
And1: 16,429

Post#53 » by Lateral Quicks » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:05 pm

What about Grant Hill as a short-term wing player?

He's @ $3M this year and next. If Phoenix tanks (shipping Amar'e would suggest that) I'd think Nash and Hill would go. Hill would be a useful player in the short term on the wings.
Nick Nurse recounting his first meeting with Kawhi:
“We could have gone forever. (Raptors management) kept knocking on the door and I was like, ‘A couple more minutes.’ Because we were really into it."
Lateral Quicks
RealGM
And1: 16,429

Post#54 » by Lateral Quicks » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:08 pm

Barbosa would be a salary dump for the Suns. He hasn't come close to earning his contract.
Nick Nurse recounting his first meeting with Kawhi:
“We could have gone forever. (Raptors management) kept knocking on the door and I was like, ‘A couple more minutes.’ Because we were really into it."
edgehead411
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,142

Post#55 » by edgehead411 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:14 pm

What a fall from grace.

A few years ago the Suns were the number 1 offense in the league and were serious title contenders every year. If it wasn't for Robert Horry, they might have a ring.

In regards to this trade, to everyone saying this is a downgrade for Miami: WHAT THE **** ARE YOU ON?! Give Dwyane Wade, a top 3 player in the league, a legit second option that is capable of 20/10 pretty much every night is huge for Miami. Sure they will lose some defense but Amare gets his rebounds and gets his blocks aswell. Throw in Barbosa and all of a sudden they have a pretty decent bench.

/my two cents
PM me if interested in writing about the Toronto Raptors!
theonlyeastcoastrapsfan
RealGM
And1: 8,676

Post#56 » by theonlyeastcoastrapsfan » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:14 pm

http://basketball.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/64354/20100129/kerr_doesnt_deny_rumors_amare_says_trade_is_50_50/

Trade rumors involving Amar'e Stoudemire have increased as of late and Suns general manager Steve Kerr isn't doing anything to deny them.

"Obviously with a player of Amare's caliber, an All-Star player, when the rumor mill starts it's tough to stop, because he's such a high-profile player," Kerr said Thursday.

"Especially when a guy is a free agent at the end of the year, potentially. That's why you're going to see Amare and Chris Bosh in the news here the next few weeks. It's just business as usual. We always look at this as, 'How can we make our team better?' Re-signing Amare long-term, or any other option, whatever we do is going to be designed to make our team better."

Why's he bringing up Bosh, not Wade or LeBron. Pheonix still trying to stick it to BC?
Parasight
Sixth Man
And1: 20

Post#57 » by Parasight » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:27 pm

edgehead411 wrote:What a fall from grace.

A few years ago the Suns were the number 1 offense in the league and were serious title contenders every year. If it wasn't for Robert Horry, they might have a ring.

In regards to this trade, to everyone saying this is a downgrade for Miami: WHAT THE **** ARE YOU ON?! Give Dwyane Wade, a top 3 player in the league, a legit second option that is capable of 20/10 pretty much every night is huge for Miami. Sure they will lose some defense but Amare gets his rebounds and gets his blocks aswell. Throw in Barbosa and all of a sudden they have a pretty decent bench.

/my two cents

Amare has never averaged 10 rebounds, and his highest block average was posted in 07-08, which is looking like a fluke considering the 2 years afterwards he returned to 1.1 and 1.0 respectively. He's a lazy rebounder. Did you watch the game last night? 1 rebound in 27 minutes, and people here love to crucify Bargnani, but Amare can be just as bad. His defense in general involves him standing in the paint and watching people, instead of challenging them.

Despite JO's offensive inconsistency and injury problems, he's a much more effective anchor for defense and rebounding than Amare. Lateral move at best for Miami.
Greg Stink
Starter
And1: 13

Post#58 » by Greg Stink » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:28 pm

djsunyc wrote:i would have to assume beasley is included in the deal unless pheonix is so desperate to dump barbosa's deal as well.

Definitely. Otherwise, this makes no sense at all for Phoenix. If it were a straight salary dump they'd insist on JRich being included.

Holding out for Bosh is a dumb plan if you're Miami, IMO. Just take the second-best big and run, especially considering Amar'e is probably a better 2nd Banana to Wade and might sign an extension this season. Try and grab Haywood in the summer to cover for STAT's D, maybe, but it would be wise to do that for Bosh anyway.
Pchu
Lead Assistant
And1: 230

Post#59 » by Pchu » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:28 pm

Again, Amare has a player option:

After this season, Stoudemire has one year left on his contract that will pay him $17 million.

However, Stoudemire also has the opportunity to opt out of his contract and negotiate a long-term deal, either with Phoenix or with another team that has cap space.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/frank_hughes/01/23/stoudemire.decision/index.html
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,556

Post#60 » by Raps in 4 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:28 pm

Here's a question. Would Nash make us contenders in the East? Our defence wuldn't imrpove, but our offence would be elevated to a nearly unstoppable level.

Return to Toronto Raptors