ImageImageImageImageImage

Roddick on Bosh/Hadi replies/Drake/HipHop/Cabbie promo p.22

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

Tha Cynic
RealGM
And1: 24,549

Re: Andy Roddick on Bosh then Hadi replies + Drake/HipHop convo 

Post#361 » by Tha Cynic » Sun Feb 7, 2010 9:39 pm

I.D. wrote:J. Cole IS one of the best up and comers. I rate him, Kid Cudi and Wale way before I rate Drake.

Ah, my 3 favourite up and comers. Them, along with Nas and Lupe Fiasco are pretty much all I'll listen to anymore. It's unfortunate that Nas has kind of fallen off, but his oldskool joints still do it for me. I'll admit that dumb rap by garbage rappers like Lil Wayne do sound pretty nice in a car with a nice system, because of the beats.

Anyways, being someone who in recent years has started listening to more R&B, rock and other genres, I'm not going to be ignorant and suggest that someone should listen to a certain rapper because he's smarter. People have different tastes and you really can do anything to change how they feel about what type of music they like. There are times I'll want to listen to something intelligent and relevant, and there are times when I'll want to listen to some guy scream about being an alien, while making no sense with what he's saying. You really can't judge music based on simply lyrics or beats.
Kobe Bryant:You asked for my hustle - I gave you my heart, because it came with so much more."~Kobe #MambaOut
TheCalm
Sophomore
And1: 0

Re: Roddick on Bosh/Hadi replies/Drake/HipHop/Cabbie promo p.22 

Post#362 » by TheCalm » Sun Feb 7, 2010 10:07 pm

J Dilla wrote:
He's putting us on the map like Vince did in 2000. And sorry mainstream was better 4-5 years ago? Dunno about that...now the new "mainstream" is artists like Cudi and Drake...a big step up from lil jon and lil scrappy imo

Shady, Nas, Jay-Z, Explosion of south, The Game, Bun-B, Common, Kanye, Obie, AZ, Papoose, Lupe, Ghostface- Morefish-Fishscale, Termanology, J Dilla, Hi-Tek

These people put out some good music, and it was more I'd say, diverse. Lil Jon did his thing with his production way before 2005. His first song that was publicized was "Bia Bia" in 2001, he had his screaming chorus, some mean lyrics from the artists featured in it, and a solid beat.

Lol half the other artists you named aren't mainstream. They're good and I've heard basically most albums by everyone you listed cept for Bun, Papoose and Term but they're not mainstream bro. The mainstream artists you did name are still in the game relevant today. Em dropped relapse, Jay dropped BP3, Game's dropping red album soon, Common UMC, Nas still dropping the damien marley album soon, Ye obviously still relevant. So if anything, mainstream music got better. You can say that there's not as much quality hip hop now - Dilla's dead, Hi-tek been quiet (RE back tho), Ghost came weak after Fishscale imo, Az's last good album was the format. But imo "mainstream" hip hop is better than ever. And yes, Jay Electronica is that dude, and yes he's more "hip hop" than Drake...but that doesn't mean Jay Electronica and Drake can't both be dope...I can **** with Jay Elec and Drake there shouldn't be anything wrong with that...**** even Diddy's the biggest jay electronica fan.
TheCalm
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#363 » by TheCalm » Sun Feb 7, 2010 10:10 pm

There are times I'll want to listen to something intelligent and relevant, and there are times when I'll want to listen to some guy scream about being an alien, while making no sense with what he's saying. You really can't judge music based on simply lyrics or beats.

looooool :lol: basically this.
K1NG
General Manager
And1: 856

Post#364 » by K1NG » Sun Feb 7, 2010 10:42 pm

jumpman wrote:Drake is beyond overrated. Only reason everyone is jumping on his dick is because he's from Toronto.

He's even more popular in America than he is here. I'd even bet the majority of haters are from Toronto. The fact that people feel like they have to hate on Drake or any musician for that matter every time their name is brought up, and follow by tossing out names of who's "actually good" as if any of it is relevant to their life is pure ignorance. Jay-Z (and I don't want anyone's opinion on him, I can formulate my own) said it best: what you eat don't make me ****. /rant
Walid
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,611

Post#365 » by Walid » Sun Feb 7, 2010 10:58 pm

ROBBS wrote:
Walid wrote:
ROBBS wrote:
I didn't say it but the guy that did was just trying to make a point that if you actually heard the mixtape, you'd realize that it was pretty damn awesome.

I've heard So Far Gone and I only liked the bonus track Congratulations and Say Whats Real was ok. Other than that it was a pretty average mixtape coming from todays rap world.

Not gonna say you're wrong because you're entitled to your opinion but listen to Houstatlantavegas, Little Bit, and Fear just to name a few. Take off the rap goggles and just listen to the MUSIC. Once you do, you'll get blown away. Take 'Little Bit' for example. The way he transitions from singing to spitting a verse is soo smoooth. My two cents.

Edit: While writing the above post, I realized that if people are just striclty RAP fans then you won't be able to see how talented guys like Drake, Cudi, and Kanye. When Kanye released 808's, a lot of people didn't give it a shot because he was "singing". Well here's the thing, if RAP is the only thing you guys are interested in, then stick with the guys you normally listen to, but don't hate on others that you can't even appreciate. To me these guys aren't rappers, they're artists. And damn good ones too.

Rap is my favorite genre, I listen to all kinds of music so if it seems that I'm coming off as an ignorant 'real rap' / 'underground rap' listener I apologize. Also, I have heard Little Bit and I wouldn't really classify it as rap that's why I didn't include it. Houstatlantavegas, not one I enjoyed, it was okay though but as you said, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Believe me, I loved Drake when he came out, but now ... I dunno. Him freestyling off his blackberry was lame too, one song I did enjoy though was Comeback Season by him which was a variation of the song Failure by Lupe, the same beat was used from a song I can't remember.

Also, Kanye was with me up until 808's, after that and Amazing was outplayed I got sick and tired of him and his autotune fascination as well as dick-moving T. Swift. Now he's trying to go back to his old style which I appreciate but other than that I'll always listen to pre-808 Kanye until he brings back his old style. Cudi is a good artist, not great, his voice is very unique and the flow in each of his songs is great.
Walid
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,611

Post#366 » by Walid » Sun Feb 7, 2010 11:02 pm

Tha Cynic wrote:
I.D. wrote:J. Cole IS one of the best up and comers. I rate him, Kid Cudi and Wale way before I rate Drake.

Ah, my 3 favourite up and comers. Them, along with Nas and Lupe Fiasco are pretty much all I'll listen to anymore. It's unfortunate that Nas has kind of fallen off, but his oldskool joints still do it for me. I'll admit that dumb rap by garbage rappers like Lil Wayne do sound pretty nice in a car with a nice system, because of the beats.

Anyways, being someone who in recent years has started listening to more R&B, rock and other genres, I'm not going to be ignorant and suggest that someone should listen to a certain rapper because he's smarter. People have different tastes and you really can do anything to change how they feel about what type of music they like. There are times I'll want to listen to something intelligent and relevant, and there are times when I'll want to listen to some guy scream about being an alien, while making no sense with what he's saying. You really can't judge music based on simply lyrics or beats.

Lupe is probably my favourite current artist. Have you checked out his feature song with Kenna which was produced by Mike Shinoda? It was for the Haiti cause, it's called 'Resurrection'. Listen to it if you haven't ;)
|llsT oNe
Starter
And1: 165

Post#367 » by |llsT oNe » Sun Feb 7, 2010 11:26 pm

I'm just glad I am big fans of Nas, Mos Def, OC etc and still enjoy listening to some of Wayne or Soulja Boy or Drake. Diversity, it's your friend.
raptorsam
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#368 » by raptorsam » Sun Feb 7, 2010 11:39 pm

good to see realgm is filled with music snobs.
Black Milk
Lead Assistant
And1: 987

Post#369 » by Black Milk » Sun Feb 7, 2010 11:58 pm

|llsT oNe wrote:I'm just glad I am big fans of Nas, Mos Def, OC etc and still enjoy listening to some of Wayne or Soulja Boy or Drake. Diversity, it's your friend.

I agree with you, I bought K'naan's album as soon as it came out, same for both of lupe's album and Q-tip Renaissance. But I still can listen to a track or two from Wayne or drake if its got a catchy beat. If I want lyrical skill I have plenty of Mos Def, Talib kweli, Nas, Jurrasic 5 along with the ones i mention before and others to pick from.

On a side not I can't wait for Reflection eternal's next album to drop.
J Dilla
Banned User
And1: 1,832

Post#370 » by J Dilla » Mon Feb 8, 2010 12:08 am

Lol half the other artists you named aren't mainstream. They're good and I've heard basically most albums by everyone you listed cept for Bun, Papoose and Term but they're not mainstream bro. The mainstream artists you did name are still in the game relevant today.

They still got tons of Radioplay and TV time, I dunno about Toronto, but in New York you'd hear them often. And you could also say the music was more diverse, even on mainstream radio and TV. It appealed to every group. Battle-rap, Material (cars, grillz, rims, jewelery), club song, gangsta rap, dance song, social, funny, love rap etc.

I have no problem with different styles and different subjects. I'm not a social-rap guy, although I prefer it, I don't wanna listen to it everytime. The problem for the past few years is that the music has been targeted for clubbers and lovers only, and theres been too much of it which has forced some Hip Hop fans to dig underground sources for music like myself. Like I said, Drake is not terrible, he's okay. Some Torontonians think its blasphemy to even criticize this guy just because he's from Toronto. He's said it himself he's a lover-boy, and that's why people started to hate 50 cent because of his love songs. With his Get Rich album, he brought club songs, love songs, hardcore gangsta rap, and some funny stuff, and later he started to release love songs. Same with Game, Obie Trice, Common, Bun-B, Chamillionaire, they appealed to every group in one album and they maintained it. All the good artists do that.

It's all about diversity. That's how mainstream rap was before. Its not about being a hip hop eltist or a true hip hop head. The problem is the mainstream music only appears to one group nowadays. I don't mean to generalize, but most of the time its the same stuff.
Hit Em Up
Assistant Coach
And1: 8,778

Post#371 » by Hit Em Up » Mon Feb 8, 2010 4:46 am

Man drake is sickkkkkk.. reppin Tdot.. u guys r a bunch of haters... his hooks are amazing.. I dont kno anybody that doesnt like that forever hook..

And i havent heard a verse from that guy that wasnt hot.. can anybody name a verse from him that wasnt good?
AlvinWilliams_fan
Analyst
And1: 18

Post#372 » by AlvinWilliams_fan » Mon Feb 8, 2010 4:52 am

Hit Em Up wrote:Man drake is sickkkkkk.. reppin Tdot.. u guys r a bunch of haters... his hooks are amazing.. I dont kno anybody that doesnt like that forever hook..

And i havent heard a verse from that guy that wasnt hot.. can anybody name a verse from him that wasnt good?

this whats with all the Drake hate?
My Game is Raptors Basketball
FIRE BRYAN COLANGELO RIGHT NOW
Waylon Mercy wrote:DeMar please F*ck my Wife PLEASE!!!!!!!
J Dilla
Banned User

Post#373 » by J Dilla » Mon Feb 8, 2010 5:15 am

Hit Em Up wrote:Man drake is sickkkkkk.. reppin Tdot.. u guys r a bunch of haters... his hooks are amazing.. I dont kno anybody that doesnt like that forever hook..

His verses are ok, but If you've listened to Eminem,Royce,Rakim or Roots alone, Drake's lyrics don't surprise you that much. Specially Eminem. Theo 3' and Eternia from Toronto write better than this guy, but its all about the mass appeal and the hooks that makes people wanna make love with drake.

If you're amazed at Drakes lines, then my guess is you don't listen to rap much.
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,510

Post#374 » by dagger » Mon Feb 8, 2010 5:22 am

AlvinWilliams_fan wrote:

this whats with all the Drake hate?

envy, jealousy. small penises awed by the big Dick.
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
HiMyNameIsTrey
General Manager
And1: 12,653

Post#375 » by HiMyNameIsTrey » Mon Feb 8, 2010 5:28 am

To each their own.

Now, no more talking about music and lets let this thread just die a peaceful death :)
J Dilla
Banned User

Post#376 » by J Dilla » Mon Feb 8, 2010 5:36 am

envy, jealousy. small penises awed by the big Dick

So you've seen Drake's dick? :lol:
So Clutch
Starter
And1: 178

Post#377 » by So Clutch » Mon Feb 8, 2010 5:37 am

There's not much to it. All the people trying to call out the "Drake haters" have this to say: "why you hatin on drake, yaddiyaddiyah, his hooks are nice, yaddiyaddiyah."

There's no question his hooks are catchy and that's why he's a popular mainstream artist, 'cause he makes songs that sound nice. I'm pretty sure people are just saying that lyrically. And get ready, 'cause I'm going to drop some truth on you: J Cole is by far the better lyricist.

No one's hating, one guy is a very successful mainstream hook machine, and the other is more of a soulful lyricist. They have different games.
Hit Em Up
Assistant Coach
And1: 8,778

Post#378 » by Hit Em Up » Mon Feb 8, 2010 5:42 am

J Dilla wrote:

His verses are ok, but If you've listened to Eminem,Royce,Rakim or Roots alone, Drake's lyrics don't surprise you that much. Specially Eminem. Theo 3' and Eternia from Toronto write better than this guy, but its all about the mass appeal and the hooks that makes people wanna make love with drake.

If you're amazed at Drakes lines, then my guess is you don't listen to rap much.

Im never said im "amazed" at Drakes line.. i said that all his verses are hot.. When you are in the club everybody is singing along with this songs.. his songs have mass appeal.. when you are in the car driving with guys and girls everybody is singing along.. hot rhymes, good hooks and a great flow.. maybe im biased cuz i want a hometown rapper to make it big.. but he is taking over the game and i love it..

plus hes a raptors fan!

ToffKobe
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#379 » by ToffKobe » Mon Feb 8, 2010 5:45 am

So basically this thread no longer has any relation to Bosh/Wade/Heat/Roddick/ or anything remotely related to the Raptors or NBA lol.
Coach Smiley
Assistant Coach
And1: 980

Post#380 » by Coach Smiley » Mon Feb 8, 2010 5:56 am

When did hip hop fans become such nerds, do yourself a favour and stop putting so much thought and effort into the entertainment biz

Return to Toronto Raptors