ImageImageImageImageImage

Roddick on Bosh/Hadi replies/Drake/HipHop/Cabbie promo p.22

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

bakafool
RealGM
And1: 4,651

Re: Roddick on Bosh/Hadi replies/Drake/HipHop/Cabbie promo p.22 

Post#381 » by bakafool » Mon Feb 8, 2010 6:11 am

So uhm, who's Drake?
Noooo!!! Not Possible! Not Possible! - Comcast commentator after the shot by Mo Peterson.
Suga
Freshman
And1: 3

Post#382 » by Suga » Mon Feb 8, 2010 6:13 am

ShelB wrote:I'm surprised these fools are still bigging up Drake. Don't you have some Degrassi DVDs to be watching?

Drake is a pop star. He's in the same mold as Britney Spears, N SYNC and all of the current Disney Channel teen stars.

He's a complete fabrication. He doesn't act the way he appears. His gimmick, a stylish nice guy or whatever BS they push with him, is a ploy to sell records to teenaged girls who've grown up watching him on Degrassi.

His lyrics, which are obviously partly if not mainly written with Lil Wayne, are cliche and bland: if I read his lyrics without having heard them, they could be attributed to any rapper. He has no style, unless you count auto tune and sing songy lyrics, which last I checked: a) suck and b) everyone does.

To the idiot saying there isn't a drought of bad hip hip: You've got to be kidding. Hip Hop is in the middle of it's worst period since the Shiny Suit era. Even the "underground" is pumping out cookie cutter paint-by-numbers trash. Even record sales reflect this: Ten years ago, dozens of rap albums would in the very least go gold, atleast a few multi-platnium records were released every few months. Who went platnium last year? Eminem? Jay-Z? While record sales on a whole are down, no genre is as bad off right now as Hip Hop.

And "So Far Gone" a 'classic' album? Are you nuts? It's not even a real album. It's a collection of songs put together on a CD. The order of the songs could've been rearranged and it would've made zero difference. Atleast wait until he releases a proper album to make non sensical lies up about your terrible tastes.

The fact people take this dude seriously and than call real talented musicans like K'NAAN one dementional... Sweet Jesus.

Well said, Ten to fifteen years so many rap albums would go gold. Hard not to when you had REAL rappers and REAL men that would drop **** like this on you every 2 weeks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzcdmGINcqI
Tha Cynic
RealGM
And1: 24,549

Re: Andy Roddick on Bosh then Hadi replies + Drake/HipHop convo 

Post#383 » by Tha Cynic » Mon Feb 8, 2010 6:17 am

Walid wrote:Lupe is probably my favourite current artist. Have you checked out his feature song with Kenna which was produced by Mike Shinoda? It was for the Haiti cause, it's called 'Resurrection'. Listen to it if you haven't ;)

Just checked it out and I'm loving this track.

Coach Smiley wrote:When did hip hop fans become such nerds, do yourself a favour and stop putting so much thought and effort into the entertainment biz

Oh, the irony.
Kobe Bryant:You asked for my hustle - I gave you my heart, because it came with so much more."~Kobe #MambaOut
HiMyNameIsTrey
General Manager
And1: 12,653

Post#384 » by HiMyNameIsTrey » Mon Feb 8, 2010 6:18 am

So Clutch wrote:There's not much to it. All the people trying to call out the "Drake haters" have this to say: "why you hatin on drake, yaddiyaddiyah, his hooks are nice, yaddiyaddiyah."

There's no question his hooks are catchy and that's why he's a popular mainstream artist, 'cause he makes songs that sound nice. I'm pretty sure people are just saying that lyrically. And get ready, 'cause I'm going to drop some truth on you: J Cole is by far the better lyricist.

No one's hating, one guy is a very successful mainstream hook machine, and the other is more of a soulful lyricist. They have different games.

Do you even really listen to Drake's music, or are you just basing your opinion from a few of his songs that are on the radio? To say that all he does is" makes songs that sound nice" as well as basically labelling him a "a successful hook machine" shows that you don't really listen to the guy. His game is as versatile as an artist can get.

Bottom line, Drake is a great musician that a lot of people won't really appreciate (unfortunately) because of their own pre-conceived ideas about rap, hiphop, and such. Stop putting artists into categories and just listen to the music! Hopefully when Thank Me Later drops, more people will begin to give him the props he deserves.
TrueChampion
Junior
And1: 37

Post#385 » by TrueChampion » Mon Feb 8, 2010 7:24 am

Knaan is gay, just like common and all the other douchy, preachy, pretentious fags who wear those gay hats.
Harold_and_Kumar
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,656

Post#386 » by Harold_and_Kumar » Mon Feb 8, 2010 8:02 am

Black Milk wrote:
|llsT oNe wrote:I'm just glad I am big fans of Nas, Mos Def, OC etc and still enjoy listening to some of Wayne or Soulja Boy or Drake. Diversity, it's your friend.

I agree with you, I bought K'naan's album as soon as it came out, same for both of lupe's album and Q-tip Renaissance. But I still can listen to a track or two from Wayne or drake if its got a catchy beat. If I want lyrical skill I have plenty of Mos Def, Talib kweli, Nas, Jurrasic 5 along with the ones i mention before and others to pick from.

On a side not I can't wait for Reflection eternal's next album to drop.

Renaissance is an amazing album. Could listen to it all day and wouldn't get tired of it.
Harold_and_Kumar
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,656

Post#387 » by Harold_and_Kumar » Mon Feb 8, 2010 8:03 am

TrueChampion wrote:Knaan is gay, just like common and all the other douchy, preachy, pretentious fags who wear those gay hats.

I hate intelligent, well thought out lyrics too.
So Clutch
Starter
And1: 178

Post#388 » by So Clutch » Mon Feb 8, 2010 8:29 am

ROBBS wrote:
So Clutch wrote:There's not much to it. All the people trying to call out the "Drake haters" have this to say: "why you hatin on drake, yaddiyaddiyah, his hooks are nice, yaddiyaddiyah."

There's no question his hooks are catchy and that's why he's a popular mainstream artist, 'cause he makes songs that sound nice. I'm pretty sure people are just saying that lyrically. And get ready, 'cause I'm going to drop some truth on you: J Cole is by far the better lyricist.

No one's hating, one guy is a very successful mainstream hook machine, and the other is more of a soulful lyricist. They have different games.

Do you even really listen to Drake's music, or are you just basing your opinion from a few of his songs that are on the radio? To say that all he does is" makes songs that sound nice" as well as basically labelling him a "a successful hook machine" shows that you don't really listen to the guy. His game is as versatile as an artist can get.

Bottom line, Drake is a great musician that a lot of people won't really appreciate (unfortunately) because of their own pre-conceived ideas about rap, hiphop, and such. Stop putting artists into categories and just listen to the music! Hopefully when Thank Me Later drops, more people will begin to give him the props he deserves.

you haven't said anything at all in that paragraph - "you don't listen to the guy, you have preconceived ideas about rap...". Sry, but I do listen to the guy. Drake is a good musician....and a hook machine. I have listened and do listen to Drake's stuff. Comeback SEason, So Far Gone, etc + all his mainstream stuff. Drake is a hook machine - and even that hiphop savvy dude you might know as Jay Z knows it. That's why on Blueprint 3, J Cole got a verse, and drake...you guessed it...Drake got a hook. I'm not withholding Drake any props, he can "sing" and rap well, I'm just saying that in comparing him to J Cole, J Cole is hands down the better lyricist. I don't know why you are trying to lecture me on preconceptions and what not.
J Dilla
Banned User
And1: 1,832

Post#389 » by J Dilla » Mon Feb 8, 2010 10:31 am

TrueChampion wrote:Knaan is gay, just like common and all the other douchy, preachy, pretentious fags who wear those gay hats.

RocLaFamilia
Lead Assistant
And1: 34

Post#390 » by RocLaFamilia » Mon Feb 8, 2010 12:17 pm

Just for those who are basing Drake's image/flow to his t.v. appearances (Degrassi) and say he is "wack" or "soft" rapper because of the role he has taken? They should take a look at a hip hop great (IMHO) Mos Def and look at the roles he has taken (Be Kind Rewind = pukage) but that doesn't take away from what he does as a hip hop artist. Not in anyway trying to compare Mos Def to Drake (Def trumps Drake easily in Hip Hop, maybe even acting if you've seen his episode on House, 16 Blocks & Brown Sugar), just saying to use this t.v. thing is just doesn't make sense.

I think Drizzy has the talent, but Lil Wayne is going to make him into that cookie cutter. Just like what happend to Kanye, after College Dropout all that crap went to his head and he starts making stuff like 808's. I personally really like Drake, I think his lyrics are dope. But I think he is on the same path as Jay where money is going to be more important to him and he dumbs down his lyrics to make cash. And you guys can look at my sig, I am a VERY BIG Jay fan, but he has even said himself in a few lyrics that he dumbs his stuff down to push CD's. But Jay still has the talent, just like Drake does, they just want "cake" more.
dacrusha wrote:
In 2009, when Wright asked a Colorado judge to intervene, Weems didn’t even bother sending a lawyer to court.

Since when does Weems bring any kind of defense to the court anyway?
The R
Junior
And1: 0

Post#391 » by The R » Mon Feb 8, 2010 3:12 pm

So Clutch wrote:And get ready, 'cause I'm going to drop some truth on you: J Cole is by far the better lyricist.

And?

Talib Kweli is probably a superior lyricist to Kanye West, but I know who I'd MUCH rather listen to. At the end of the day, that's all that matters. "So Far Gone" is a fantastic mixtape, and probably the second best release from last year after OB4CLII imo
Unknownone
Pro Prospect
And1: 16

Post#392 » by Unknownone » Mon Feb 8, 2010 3:16 pm

TrueChampion wrote:just like common and all the other douchy, preachy, pretentious fags who wear those gay hats.

Prior to his liaison w/ Badu and then pandering to the Oprah demographic, Rashid used to be interesting and thought-provoking, especially on "Resurrection"; owing to the fluid transitory nature of the genre though, staying relevant is the hardest aspect to maintain in the so-called game.

Some of this back-and-forth exchange seems as superfluous as people arguing for days on end about whether or not Rawkus was funded w/ Murdoch seed $$$ (it was via his scion James) in the "golden age" of backrap rap (a rather smug and supercilious era if there ever was one).

No hardened opinion on Drake though - can't say personally bowled over by him nor enthralled; would rather listen to someone/something else.
Unknownone
Pro Prospect
And1: 16

Post#393 » by Unknownone » Mon Feb 8, 2010 3:28 pm

TheCalm wrote:Lol dawg Let your backbone slide was in 1989, you think anyone in the states besides old hip hip fans even knows who the hell Maestro is? Yes, Maestro was the first Canadian artist who experienced some mainstream success across the border but he didn't do anything close to what Drake his doing. Lol his only successful album hasn't even done 200k yet, and that's the BEST SELLING CANADIAN ALBUM EVER.... Drake is gonna eclipse 200k in his FIRST WEEK. Lol all those Canadian artists you listed can hold their own, and Sauks is obviously a legend in Canadian hip hop but just cause someone isn't mainstream doesn't mean they're better than someone who is, which is the mentality you have.

And nah you got it all wrong bro, what I'm saying is commercial success + TRUE talent = Drake, Jay, Kanye. You have solely commercial success then you get your artists like Ja Rule who become irrelevant. If you can't see how Drake will stay relevant this whole decade the exact same way Jay-z and Kanye did the last, then you're lost and you just don't get music lol. And saying rappers like Drake will be irrelevant once this "drought" (lol wut?) is over is hilarious...if anything you should be saying that about someone like the Cool Kids DUCY? You don't listen to Drake, and if you did you'd know how versatile he is and we've been through how he's a multi dimensional artist but once again you just don't get it. The fact that you think 'hip hop is dead" and there's a "drought" right now again is lololol. And wtf you mean no ones gonna take me seriously by saying So Far Gone is as good as classics this past decade? The majority of people agree with ME bro, not you. So Far Gone is same level as Blueprint 1 and College Dropout, 10 times more ppl agree with this then they agree with your opinion..credible intelligent ppl, but you're stuck in your realgm world where ppl jock Jedi Mind Tricks and Immortal Tech..or Benefit or whoever the hell you kids are obsessed with now lol. No one said Drake is better than Nas but once again, in several years you can argue that he is just like you can say that Jay-z is better even tho Nas is the epitome of a Hip Hop Emcee if you will... Most of you hating are narrow minded and are the same people that don't have what it takes to become successful beyond a 40k/yr desk job because you can't adapt and think differently.

Time and history are better arbiters/litmus test/determinants of what may or may not be deemed a "classic" - reveling in the current zeitgeist can prove to be embarrassing when looking back in retrospect.

Citing sales numbers isn't particularly convincing - being able to sell isn't mutually inclusive w/ being good - they may overlap as Venn diagrams, but aren't necessarily one and the same: e.g. Black Eyed Peas.
So Clutch
Starter
And1: 178

Post#394 » by So Clutch » Mon Feb 8, 2010 4:04 pm

The R wrote:
So Clutch wrote:And get ready, 'cause I'm going to drop some truth on you: J Cole is by far the better lyricist.

And?

Talib Kweli is probably a superior lyricist to Kanye West, but I know who I'd MUCH rather listen to. At the end of the day, that's all that matters. "So Far Gone" is a fantastic mixtape, and probably the second best release from last year after OB4CLII imo

why do you have to get your panties in a knot? i was responding to the delusional few who were raging on about how drake's lyrics are so **** good. as i said, Drake is talented, a hook machine, makes catchy songs and thats why he's popular as hell. you hardcore drake fanboys are a little insecure?
tosi
Assistant Coach
And1: 504

Post#395 » by tosi » Mon Feb 8, 2010 4:21 pm

Ackshun wrote:
Gold Chain wrote:I wonder how many "heads" on here have ANY of these records on vinyl?

vinyl collector here.

Man i got Canadian records for days. That old Frankenstein, some of that Planet Mars - Mad Fiber stuff, Choclairs early decent stuff - 21 years, what it takes, the Brick House EP from Sox..

I actually hit up PLAY DE last week and finally found a compilation from DJ Adam 12. he had this "Ultimate Rush" track on there I been dying for since the mid 90's with Sox/Heltah Skeltah

Got Any Citizen Kane?
fart wrote:I agree. get over it people. MJ is ridicoulsly overrated that people have developed this perception that no one can challenge him for GOAT.
J Dilla
Banned User
And1: 1,832

Post#396 » by J Dilla » Mon Feb 8, 2010 6:41 pm

I wish I grew up in the vinyl era. They don't sell those anymore, but my dad probably has a bunch back home in NY.
DonkeyPunch
Junior
And1: 56

Post#397 » by DonkeyPunch » Mon Feb 8, 2010 7:08 pm

If you Don't listen to:

Big L
Mos Def
Pharcyde
Lupe Fiasco
Atmosphere
Aesop Rock
Wale
Big Pun
Deltron 3030
Jay Z
Nas
Common
Wu Tang Clan

Then you suck at life.

"To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women." Conan
BryceMaxJames
Bench Warmer
And1: 382

Post#398 » by BryceMaxJames » Mon Feb 8, 2010 7:18 pm

ROBBS wrote:
TheCalm wrote:Lol dawg Let your backbone slide was in 1989, you think anyone in the states besides old hip hip fans even knows who the hell Maestro is? Yes, Maestro was the first Canadian artist who experienced some mainstream success across the border but he didn't do anything close to what Drake his doing. Lol his only successful album hasn't even done 200k yet, and that's the BEST SELLING CANADIAN ALBUM EVER.... Drake is gonna eclipse 200k in his FIRST WEEK. Lol all those Canadian artists you listed can hold their own, and Sauks is obviously a legend in Canadian hip hop but just cause someone isn't mainstream doesn't mean they're better than someone who is, which is the mentality you have.

And nah you got it all wrong bro, what I'm saying is commercial success + TRUE talent = Drake, Jay, Kanye. You have solely commercial success then you get your artists like Ja Rule who become irrelevant. If you can't see how Drake will stay relevant this whole decade the exact same way Jay-z and Kanye did the last, then you're lost and you just don't get music lol. And saying rappers like Drake will be irrelevant once this "drought" (lol wut?) is over is hilarious...if anything you should be saying that about someone like the Cool Kids DUCY? You don't listen to Drake, and if you did you'd know how versatile he is and we've been through how he's a multi dimensional artist but once again you just don't get it. The fact that you think 'hip hop is dead" and there's a "drought" right now again is lololol. And wtf you mean no ones gonna take me seriously by saying So Far Gone is as good as classics this past decade? The majority of people agree with ME bro, not you. So Far Gone is same level as Blueprint 1 and College Dropout, 10 times more ppl agree with this then they agree with your opinion..credible intelligent ppl, but you're stuck in your realgm world where ppl jock Jedi Mind Tricks and Immortal Tech..or Benefit or whoever the hell you kids are obsessed with now lol. No one said Drake is better than Nas but once again, in several years you can argue that he is just like you can say that Jay-z is better even tho Nas is the epitome of a Hip Hop Emcee if you will... Most of you hating are narrow minded and are the same people that don't have what it takes to become successful beyond a 40k/yr desk job because you can't adapt and think differently.

Agree with u 100%, and so far gone is definately a classic.
IamRapsMvP
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#399 » by IamRapsMvP » Mon Feb 8, 2010 7:31 pm

all you drake haters, im gona shut you up with this one track http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLvpOX9TPJQ

HOLLAA AT YURR BOYY!!! YA HEARRD??
HiMyNameIsTrey
General Manager
And1: 12,653

Post#400 » by HiMyNameIsTrey » Mon Feb 8, 2010 7:48 pm

So Clutch wrote:
ROBBS wrote:

you haven't said anything at all in that paragraph - "you don't listen to the guy, you have preconceived ideas about rap...". Sry, but I do listen to the guy. Drake is a good musician....and a hook machine. I have listened and do listen to Drake's stuff. Comeback SEason, So Far Gone, etc + all his mainstream stuff. Drake is a hook machine - and even that hiphop savvy dude you might know as Jay Z knows it. That's why on Blueprint 3, J Cole got a verse, and drake...you guessed it...Drake got a hook. I'm not withholding Drake any props, he can "sing" and rap well, I'm just saying that in comparing him to J Cole, J Cole is hands down the better lyricist. I don't know why you are trying to lecture me on preconceptions and what not.

Read my post properly at least. You say J.Cole is a far better lyricist. Good for him. I'll make sure to let him know.

Why do you keep bringing that up? I'm not arguing about lyricism. You can say that all you want. But to label Drake as being a one-trick pony who is best-suited for singing hooks all day is quite funny. It's the equivalent of an ESPN analyst who claims that all Bargs does is shoot 3's.

Return to Toronto Raptors