ImageImageImageImageImage

Bryan Colangelo on the FAN 590 now (5:23pm)

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,500

Re: Bryan Colangelo on the FAN 590 now (5:23pm) 

Post#41 » by dagger » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:50 pm

EvilMonkey wrote:I don't see Jack or Jose complaining. They are both locked up for the next three seasons and getting plenty of minutes. Amir/Wright/Weems seem more likely to me from a money stand point or Marco for being pissed off due to his dog house.

Weems is not a free agent. We have a third year team option on him for cheap!

Marco is under contract for next season, but he did bitch about minutes at GSW

Wright and Amir are my most likely candidates. Amir has lost minutes to Uncle Reggie, while Wright seems to gripe about a lot of things, and he's got to get numbers to make himself appealing to other teams. Amir, IMO, has a stronger likelihood of being signed by somebody next year. Wright might be facing a paycut to stay in the league.
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
SirHuey
General Manager
And1: 2,737

Post#42 » by SirHuey » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:50 pm

Rhettmatic wrote:
EvilMonkey wrote:I don't see Jack or Jose complaining. They are both locked up for the next three seasons and getting plenty of minutes. Amir/Wright/Weems seem more likely to me from a money stand point or Marco for being pissed off due to his dog house.

Amir actually has the right to be annoyed. Evans is terrible and he shouldn't be taking any of Amir's minutes.

Agreed, if fans have been bothered by that, I don't see why Amir wouldn't be
StringerBell
Veteran
And1: 2,200

Post#43 » by StringerBell » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:51 pm

dagger wrote:
StringerBell wrote:Pretty candid interview....was surprised to hear him mention players agents complaining abou the lack of playing time after the all-star break. wonder who he was refering to?...sounds like there are a lot of problems in the locker room

well, it depends on who has security.

Bosh wouldn't complain, would he. And he's been injured.
Hedo? Maybe - but his problems are largely self-inflicted, including foul trouble.
Bargnani? - not about minutes anyway, and he has the extension, unless he's getting ready to blow his top over touches.
Wright? - A likely candidate.
DD? - I doubt it. He might have a beef, but I don't think he has the seniority to bitch
Weems? Unlikely. He's made it into the rotation
Jack? Could be. I don't think he loves how he's been sitting late in games.
Belinelli? He's bitched before, and might be bitching again
Jose? Unlikely, but you never know.
Evans? Mmmmm
Amir? Quite possibly because he's an FA and he's losing minutes to Evans, which might be part of this.

that's true...there are also the newcomers who maybe were told they'd play a bigger role than they have been - most notably wright and turkoglu.
YogiStewart
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,402

Post#44 » by YogiStewart » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:52 pm

hoop_head wrote:Colangelo said that he's planning to meet with the team, to take the "temperature" of the Raps.

rectal, i hope.
because he needs to find what's up their collective @sses to make this the most indifferent season i've seen and personally felt in ages
Southward1
General Manager
And1: 2,411

Post#45 » by Southward1 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:52 pm

dagger wrote:

Wright and Amir are my most likely candidates. Amir has lost minutes to Uncle Reggie, while Wright seems to gripe about a lot of things, and he's got to get numbers to make himself appealing to other teams. Amir, IMO, has a stronger likelihood of being signed by somebody next year. Wright might be facing a paycut to stay in the league.

If Wright isn't careful he'll end up in Europe with our boy Juan Dixon.
Cross-over
Sixth Man
And1: 145

Post#46 » by Cross-over » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:52 pm

Ive got nothing to back it up but I think Amir is one of the culprits. With the way he was playing I think he figured he was due for a decent contract. But Evans has cut into his minutes and I notice hes been pressing things instead of letting the game come to him with his hustle.
SciencePiggy
Analyst
And1: 1,968

Post#47 » by SciencePiggy » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:56 pm

dagger wrote:

Missed the team option, that trade seems to get better all the time.

Rhettmatic wrote:Amir actually has the right to be annoyed. Evans is terrible and he shouldn't be taking any of Amir's minutes.

I understand wanting to get Reggie into game shape should the Raps pull Boston or Orlando in the first round but damned if it hasn't been ugly.
Cheers to Turbo_Zone
draft
Starter
And1: 8

Post#48 » by draft » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:57 pm

Wright is getting the same playing time he was getting last year in Dallas so he has nothing to complain about. This is clearly either Hedo or Marco.
SciencePiggy
Analyst

Post#49 » by SciencePiggy » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:58 pm

draft wrote:Wright is getting the same playing time he was getting last year in Dallas so he has nothing to complain about. This is clearly either Hedo or Marco.

I think it would be hilarious if it was Hedo if only for the fan backlash that want to see him receive less minutes.
Cheers to Turbo_Zone
dacrusha
RealGM
And1: 5,410

Post#50 » by dacrusha » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:00 pm

If 8th/9th men in the rotation are complaining about lack of minutes, then I couldn't care less.

They're not getting minutes because they haven't earned them: Wright is back to his November self and Amir's bone-headed play to smart play ratio is at about 3:1.
"If you can’t make a profit, you should sell your team" - Michael Jordan
Undefeated
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,105

Post#51 » by Undefeated » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:01 pm

It could be Amir, but why would Amir complain? He just doesn't seem that type of player who would complain about the minutes because coach has to restrict him due to fouling issues. Amir got less minutes in Detroit and it’s his first season here to fully develop, so I don't see complaints from him.

It’s most likely Marco and Marcus for me. Marco tends to whine and Marcus because he played a vital role in our streak in December and parts of January where the Raptors played great ball. It's always the less expected one that complains.
Basketball is like poetry in motion, cross the guy to the left, take him back to the right, he's fallin back, then just J right in his face. Then you look at him and say, "What?" - Jesus Shuttlesworth
TheBathinApe
Rookie
And1: 170

Post#52 » by TheBathinApe » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:02 pm

This better not be the reason why antoine might make it into the starting line-up.
SciencePiggy
Analyst

Post#53 » by SciencePiggy » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:04 pm

Undefeated wrote:It could be Amir, but why would Amir complain? He just doesn't seem that type of player who would complain about the minutes because coach has to restrict him due to fouling issues. Amir got less minutes in Detroit and it’s his first season here to fully develop, so I don't see complaints from him.

It’s most likely Marco and Marcus for me. Marco tends to whine and Marcus because he played a vital role in our streak in December and parts of January where the Raptors played great ball. It's always the less expected one that complains.

I'm assuming that the complaint might not be directly from the player. As already mentioned, more minutes = more $$$ = bigger cut for agent. Of course whether or not such a complaint could/should be made without the player's ok is questionable.
Cheers to Turbo_Zone
C Court
RealGM
And1: 25,122

Post#54 » by C Court » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:04 pm

The full interview is now available on www.fan590.com .

Bryan mentioned he was concerned about our half time adjustments. He also said we need to find a way to win these tight games. He felt the Raptors should have won the game in LA.

He sounded pissed.
NBA Champion Toronto Raptors
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,399

Post#55 » by Crazy-Canuck » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:11 pm

If Im a player , especially Amir; I would be pissed about the rotations.

Triano obviously has his reasons for the rotations he uses, but we do know its not based on play. He needs to set roles and have let EVERYONE know what they are expected to do out on the court. I mean who the hell as EVER made Reggie a primary option other than Triano? Reggies own mom wouldnt even do that.

I think Bill Cosby said it best:

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody"

Triano is trying to keep individuals happy at the expense of the team. He doesnt know how to manage a team nor does he know how to manage the players. I would understand keeping him around if the plays were crisp, but he no longer does that either. The team is constantly flat and ill prepared for most games.

If Triano has any shot at being a coach anywhere, he needs to grow a pair.
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,399

Post#56 » by Crazy-Canuck » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:12 pm

I know it might be too late, but BC should fire Triano and try to salvage this playoff run.
carlosey
General Manager
And1: 2,054

Post#57 » by carlosey » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:12 pm

If antoine wright is crying about time, hes being greedy. Hes lucky to be getting minutes with us at all.

I have noticed though that since the All star break he reverted to his early season form aka not playing within his role as a spot up shooter so something tells me that this guy is trying to showcase himself as more than what he is in his minutes.

I could see Amir maybe making a case for it, but I would think complaining is more part of wrights game than anyone elses. Belli is also a candidate since he is in the dog house. Personally, I would like to see wright gone.
Harry Palmer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,524

Post#58 » by Harry Palmer » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:14 pm

As disillusioned as I am with his vision and choices, the man definitely has strengths as a GM, and this kind of thing is high among them. He can come off extremely candid and sincere without actually saying all that much. He's a seriously awesome front man for an organization, and I do not say that with any kind of sarcasm.
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

-Arthur Schopenhauer
theonlyeastcoastrapsfan
RealGM
And1: 8,676

Post#59 » by theonlyeastcoastrapsfan » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:15 pm

Here's the thing about players, agents and minutes; the player doesn't have to be po'ed for his agent to talk to the gm. The more dough a player makes, the more dough an agent makes, so agents want to maximize their players earning potential. No matter who they are, especially in a contract year. At times a player in a long deal may ask their agent to talk to the gm, either they want to be playing, or not happy with how they are being used and would be open to a trade.

So Beli's agent for example could be afraid if he doesn't end up getting minutes in Toronto, what's it going to be like for his next contract. Beli and Jack also share an agent.

I'm not sure if you caught it last week but CDR made some comments how he a LeBron share an agent and how if he's not happy about how the team is treating him, LeBron would never go there as they all stick together. Players do that. It's almost like a sub union of the players union. That's why BC takes care of guys and at the same time the same reason agents have to be careful not to get involved in things like what happened with Salmons. It's give and take, so if it's a FA we're trying to bring in, but his agent's had a bad experience dealing with us, that can affect things. At the same time a FA looking for a deal, or a player hoping to be traded, or get a 10 day, if their agent burned a bridge and they're not good enough to make the GM get over it, that can cause problems too.

I guess what I'm saying is it's not always a player that's whining, but the agent could be whining because his interest is to advocate what is best for his client, and he's rewarded by putting his client in positions to maximize his earning potential. So it's not always that the players a whining in the locker room or two the coach.
Brinbe
RealGM
And1: 35,507

Post#60 » by Brinbe » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:20 pm

Nice, thanks for the recaps. Definitely a lot more straightforward than I expected, since BC is the master of saying a lot, without saying anything substantive. His recognition of Turk's problems means a lot (since we hadn't heard what he thought of Hedo's play) and if Hedo doesn't pick it up, BC'll be surely wanting to rid himself of Hedo.

As for who is whining about mins, Marco/Amir would make sense, Marco more so, but I'm betting on Wright being the main complainer. I mean he has already reverted back to playing for himself recently.

Return to Toronto Raptors