ImageImageImageImageImage

Bryan Colangelo on the FAN 590 now (5:23pm)

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Trianoball
Starter
And1: 47

Re: Bryan Colangelo on the FAN 590 now (5:23pm) 

Post#61 » by Trianoball » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:22 pm

Harry Palmer wrote:As disillusioned as I am with his vision and choices, the man definitely has strengths as a GM, and this kind of thing is high among them. He can come off extremely candid and sincere without actually saying all that much. He's a seriously awesome front man for an organization, and I do not say that with any kind of sarcasm.

I agree with this, and I think it's a perfect example of why people shouldn't judge a book by it's cover.

Being media savvy, knowing how too look good. Making an impression. Saying all the right things. All that crap.

None of that (necessarily) equals knowing how to build a good basketball team.

It's always irritated and worried me how completely head over heels people were for this guy.

Like you said, a great front man...but that's about it.
Greg Stink
Starter
And1: 13

Post#62 » by Greg Stink » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:23 pm

Love the candour, but this team has not looked "great" at any point this season.
CapeCrusader
General Manager
And1: 92

Post#63 » by CapeCrusader » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:34 pm

Like how he said he was disappointed in Turk, but still covering up for him a little still. Hearing him talking about scouting players makes me sad that he traded the first round pick to Miami...still think that was a dumb move.
B*TCH ! You Weren't With Me Shooting At The Gym!
user name
Sixth Man
And1: 1

Post#64 » by user name » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:39 pm

People need to be careful to stick to what he said. He did not say that players are complaining about minutes to him or the coach. He said that players' agents are complaining to him about minutes. The most logical would, therefore, be the agent for any player who is looking for a contract. Otherwise, agents do not usually gripe to a GM about the minutes their guys are getting during a season, unless they are using it to request a trade. No one is getting traded now, so it surely comes from agents looking for paychecka for their guys this summer.
isyed
Starter
And1: 313

Post#65 » by isyed » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:39 pm

Not sure if its still possible but getting a leader as a head coach might be exactly what this team needs. Someone like a Van Gundy, Avery Johnson etc

We still have 19 games left. Lets try to get somewhere.........
StopitLeo
RealGM
And1: 6,606

Post#66 » by StopitLeo » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:42 pm

BC sounds quite disappointed with Turk.

He's being very kind in saying that he was starting to play well before his eye injury because that's BS. I hope he can correct this mistake in the off season.
Vlade Divac
Head Coach
And1: 7,602

Post#67 » by Vlade Divac » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:51 pm

If it is Amir I second his requests. He and Sony are ONLY two players who should play MUCH MORE.

As far as Belli Nelli is concerned, seriously I would let him go right now, because he proved that he cannot play in NBA.
Vlade Divac
Head Coach
And1: 7,602

Post#68 » by Vlade Divac » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:54 pm

CapeCrusader wrote:Like how he said he was disappointed in Turk, but still covering up for him a little still. Hearing him talking about scouting players makes me sad that he traded the first round pick to Miami...still think that was a dumb move.

Of course he will be covering for him because he over-payed him like he did with so many of this roster just to mention the most outrageous ones: Krapono, Jose, Turk, Bargs.
timdunkit
RealGM
And1: 585

Post#69 » by timdunkit » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:05 am

Harry Palmer wrote:As disillusioned as I am with his vision and choices, the man definitely has strengths as a GM, and this kind of thing is high among them. He can come off extremely candid and sincere without actually saying all that much. He's a seriously awesome front man for an organization, and I do not say that with any kind of sarcasm.

Totally agree ... it was you who first made me realize how much of a business savy GM BC is. He basically called out Hedo and then recovers it by saying that "he wasn't that much off from the numbers he predicted for Hedo" ...
Batmanz
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#70 » by Batmanz » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:08 am

yea, that balance and consistency comes when triano is gone baby gone

BC- President & GM/ babysitter
James_Raptors
RealGM
And1: 10,804

Post#71 » by James_Raptors » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:44 am

I've been a BC supporter, to some degree over the years, but not a blind one. You have to understand that the way he talks is very lawyer-ish, in that he is careful with his wording, always trying to be a good PR guy, look good, etc. I think he dangles tidbits out there for us on purpose, and then reels us in. He doesn't do this because he's being overtly honest/candid but because he is feeding the public just enough so that their frenzy and disatisfaction is subsided a bit. Although I do feel he is a good GM he is also a bit snake-like when it comes to his personality. He's the kinda guy who talks out of the side of his mouth, saying one thing, when the truth may be the complete opposite. Granted, alot of people in his position act simularly. They are as much general managers as they are at coming across like a politician or lawyer.
08-14-'21:
(re: Scottie Barnes)
-Top 3 Raptors of all-time, 5+ ASG, Min 1 All-NBA 1st /2nd,Min 3 All-Def 1st or 2nd team,between years 2-3 in the running for best current player on our roster,best Raptor on the team, multiple years in a row

RIP Hater
C_Money
RealGM
And1: 25,671

Post#72 » by C_Money » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:50 am

I'm not gonna find it but there was an interview in Spanish with Jose saying he wasn't happy with his minutes. It was back in January.

Also don't forget that these agents could be calling BC behind the players back. They do it all the time.
zilby
RealGM
And1: 38,871

Post#73 » by zilby » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:07 am

I like that he's being honest.

It's probably Marco, Amir and Jose whining for minutes.

All of them (and by all of them, I mean Belinelli and Amir) are justified in wanting more minutes. They have no reason to be sitting on the bench in favour of Wrong and Uncle Reg.
Hawaiian pizza is good.
jeffya2
Veteran
And1: 2,982

Post#74 » by jeffya2 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:21 am

Cross-over wrote:Ive got nothing to back it up but I think Amir is one of the culprits. With the way he was playing I think he figured he was due for a decent contract. But Evans has cut into his minutes and I notice hes been pressing things instead of letting the game come to him with his hustle.

Agree 100% You don't bitch unless you have the confidence to back it up & walk
He willl have lots of offers & should make some noise

Clearly NOT evans. BC didn't have any black eyes so reggie isn't NEGOTIATING
I seriously doubt he even has an agent :lol:
Reignman
Banned User
And1: 391

Post#75 » by Reignman » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:30 am

If Amir is the one that's bitching then I support him 100%.
sanity
RealGM
And1: 1,812

Post#76 » by sanity » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:36 am

Amir is already getting a pretty significant role (more than what he has had anywhere else), so I'm not too happy if he's the one complaining. Either way, I'm not so sure that Triano has sufficient control over this team by the way Colangelo is expressing himself. Its becoming more clear that his influence extends far beyond just managerial matters.
Boogie!
RealGM
And1: 52,785
Location: Ba da da da daaaaaa. If you build it, they will come!

Post#77 » by Boogie! » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:43 am

itbobby007 wrote:
Rhettmatic wrote:
Southward1 wrote:He said players are playing selfish and there agents are telling him that they're not playing enough minutes on a daily basis. This sounds like a bad locker room.

He said that this seems to be happening specifically since the all-star break, too.

Did he mention who? My guess in Marco or Antonie....

based on antoine's recent (Please Use More Appropriate Word) play of late, combined with the fact that for some reason belinelli just randomly got axed from the rotation and the fact that antoine is a free agent next year, where as belinelli is not, i'd say it's antoine.
mdenny wrote:In anycase....Masai is probably gonna make Fred the first active player/head coach in franchise history now that Nurse is out of the way. That's been the plan all along.
Jmatt12
Bench Warmer
And1: 0

Post#78 » by Jmatt12 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:05 am

I liked the way he responded to Turks play and how he is disappointed. Probably the most honest tone in his voice I have heard this season. He was definitley more aggressive with his answers.

I didn't like how he went on to defend him after that. Justifying his lazy pathetic demeanor saying it is a defense mechanism. Saying that it took Turk time to adjust in Orlando. He is a vet this shouldn't be new to him. Orlando was not in the position of loosing their franchise player like we are after this season and they had way more options they could count on. We do not have that buffer this season. Turk has had more than enough time to develop and "adjust". I don't care that he got hit in the face. I don't care about his personal issues in his homeland. He is a "professional" athlete. He shouldn't disappear during games as often as he does.

I almost would prefer to miss the playoffs and keep the draft pick. This franchise needs to change. Change the way we draft, the way we coach and develop players and change the type of players we want to play for us.
Woj wrote:David Stern has long pushed the individual over team, marketed showy over substance, and LeBron James represents the manifestation of it all."
Vandal Savage
Suspended
And1: 1,123

Post#79 » by Vandal Savage » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:19 am

The guys who can complain about minutes are the guys who have already proven themselves in the league. Jack, Jose and Turk. Guys like Amir, Marco and Wright are still on their rookie contracts.
Throwback24 wrote:I want to see Andrea Bargnani naked
Yeezus_
RealGM
And1: 13,742

Post#80 » by Yeezus_ » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:56 am

Im guessing its Wright, I dont think its Amir, Jay actually gives him good minutes, isnt he the first big off the bench? In my opinoin, Wright is getting way too much playing time, Bellinelli needs to get some action.
Yeezy SZN approaching

Return to Toronto Raptors