ImageImageImageImageImage

Bryan Colangelo on the FAN 590 now (5:23pm)

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

J Dilla
Banned User
And1: 1,832

Re: Bryan Colangelo on the FAN 590 now (5:23pm) 

Post#81 » by J Dilla » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:24 am

Centre Court wrote:I sound like a broken record, but this is exactly why I was opposed to Jay becoming the head coach. Successful NBA coaches are more about leadership, respect, motivation and controlling mega-egos than they are about Xs and Os.

When you really feel the effect of a weak coach, is when the locker room starts to fall apart. There is no one who can step up and take control.

The locker room atmosphere deteriorates because there is no strong leader to reign in the whiners. That's a toxic mix that Jay is ill-equipped to do anything about.

+1.
Jay Triano seems like a very nice guy and he does have a lot of room to grow but with his personality its very tough to stay as head coach. He'd be a good assistant, but in times like these he just doesn't have that personality to control the locker room and motivate them.

I think BC just chose the wrong guy last year. Yes it did seem cool to have a Canadian coach but you just knew it couldn't work with him long term.

For respect, leadership, motivation and controlling ego's, I think the best cheap candidate would've been Alex English. The guy's a legend in this league and it would be near blasphemy if players didn't listen to this guy.

BTW, it's probably Wright, Belinelli, Jose, and Jack. Can't be Amir because he's been a 15 MPG player for his entire young career, and plus he seems like a very chill guy so I highly doubt it.
Cool-Hand-Luke
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,530

Post#82 » by Cool-Hand-Luke » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:35 am

dagger wrote:
StringerBell wrote:Pretty candid interview....was surprised to hear him mention players agents complaining abou the lack of playing time after the all-star break. wonder who he was refering to?...sounds like there are a lot of problems in the locker room

well, it depends on who has security.

Bosh wouldn't complain, would he. And he's been injured.
Hedo? Maybe - but his problems are largely self-inflicted, including foul trouble.
Bargnani? - not about minutes anyway, and he has the extension, unless he's getting ready to blow his top over touches.
Wright? - A likely candidate.
DD? - I doubt it. He might have a beef, but I don't think he has the seniority to bitch
Weems? Unlikely. He's made it into the rotation
Jack? Could be. I don't think he loves how he's been sitting late in games.
Belinelli? He's bitched before, and might be bitching again
Jose? Unlikely, but you never know.
Evans? Mmmmm
Amir? Quite possibly because he's an FA and he's losing minutes to Evans, which might be part of this.

it's most likely players playing for a new contract i.e. wright, weems, amir
sig by TZ
Southward1
General Manager
And1: 2,411

Post#83 » by Southward1 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:21 am

After listening to this interview did anybody really notice BC's tone when it came to missing the playoffs and how good his team actually is? He seemed to not be all that enamored with his players and was generally po'd about their performance. I wouldn't be shocked if he sends a bunch of players packing this summer if he gets Bosh's name on a contract. Saying things like agents are complaining about playing time, players are being selfish and guys styles aren't fitting together. I could realistically see a 5 to 6 player turnover this summer.
James_Raptors
RealGM
And1: 10,804

Post#84 » by James_Raptors » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:59 am

Southward1 wrote:After listening to this interview did anybody really notice BC's tone when it came to missing the playoffs and how good his team actually is? He seemed to not be all that enamored with his players and was generally po'd about their performance. I wouldn't be shocked if he sends a bunch of players packing this summer if he gets Bosh's name on a contract. Saying things like agents are complaining about playing time, players are being selfish and guys styles aren't fitting together. I could realistically see a 5 to 6 player turnover this summer.

I could too but not just because of the way he was talking on the Fan590, moreso because it seems to be BC's style. I mean, we brought nine new players in last yr, how many in '06? So 5 or 6 new players next season would make total sense (yes my comments are partially tongue in cheek).
08-14-'21:
(re: Scottie Barnes)
-Top 3 Raptors of all-time, 5+ ASG, Min 1 All-NBA 1st /2nd,Min 3 All-Def 1st or 2nd team,between years 2-3 in the running for best current player on our roster,best Raptor on the team, multiple years in a row

RIP Hater
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,500

Post#85 » by dagger » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:00 am

coolhandluke99 wrote:
dagger wrote:
StringerBell wrote:Pretty candid interview....was surprised to hear him mention players agents complaining abou the lack of playing time after the all-star break. wonder who he was refering to?...sounds like there are a lot of problems in the locker room

well, it depends on who has security.

Bosh wouldn't complain, would he. And he's been injured.
Hedo? Maybe - but his problems are largely self-inflicted, including foul trouble.
Bargnani? - not about minutes anyway, and he has the extension, unless he's getting ready to blow his top over touches.
Wright? - A likely candidate.
DD? - I doubt it. He might have a beef, but I don't think he has the seniority to bitch
Weems? Unlikely. He's made it into the rotation
Jack? Could be. I don't think he loves how he's been sitting late in games.
Belinelli? He's bitched before, and might be bitching again
Jose? Unlikely, but you never know.
Evans? Mmmmm
Amir? Quite possibly because he's an FA and he's losing minutes to Evans, which might be part of this.

it's most likely players playing for a new contract i.e. wright, weems, amir

Weems is NOT a free agent this summer (unless we turn down his option which is not likely - it's cheap.)
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,549

Post#86 » by Raps in 4 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:38 am

Jmatt12 wrote:I liked the way he responded to Turks play and how he is disappointed. Probably the most honest tone in his voice I have heard this season. He was definitley more aggressive with his answers.

I didn't like how he went on to defend him after that. Justifying his lazy pathetic demeanor saying it is a defense mechanism. Saying that it took Turk time to adjust in Orlando. He is a vet this shouldn't be new to him. Orlando was not in the position of loosing their franchise player like we are after this season and they had way more options they could count on. We do not have that buffer this season. Turk has had more than enough time to develop and "adjust". I don't care that he got hit in the face. I don't care about his personal issues in his homeland. He is a "professional" athlete. He shouldn't disappear during games as often as he does.

I almost would prefer to miss the playoffs and keep the draft pick. This franchise needs to change. Change the way we draft, the way we coach and develop players and change the type of players we want to play for us.

Excellent post.

Only thing is, we'd be looking at a mid/early teens pick in this draft if we miss the playoffs, which is always a huge crapshoot.
sule
RealGM
And1: 34,205

Post#87 » by sule » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:40 am

I can actually see DeRozan's agent complaining about minutes, only b/c the plan that was announced with DeRozan was that they'd start him, give him about 15-20 minutes a game and slowly ease him into the team plan. So far Triano's just been giving him inconsistent minutes and not increasing his role on the team.

Sure he's a rookie, but DeRozan's agent is probably looking at other draft picks around him on teams that are just as good, if not better than us, and saying "why isn't my client getting more minutes, or any real opportunities to show himself?".

Triano's strategy was to give him less minutes b/c he didn't want him to hit the rookie wall. IMO, the rookie wall isn't about how many minutes you play, rather, it's about how many games you play. And with DeRozan, it looks like he might be hitting that right now. 50-60 games in is about how much they play in High School and NCAA. Not having been given a chance to shine thus far this season - neither when the team was winning, nor when it was losing in blowouts - and now hitting the wall, it looks like he's not going to show us anything for the rest of the season. Meaning his agent is probably frustrated that the team has wasted his rookie year by giving him inconsistent minutes, no role, and probably no chance to shine. And their only consolation being that they started him and let him idle on the court for the first 5-10 minutes of every game before being pined.
Canucklehead
Veteran
And1: 23

Post#88 » by Canucklehead » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:54 am

From what I've been reading in the articles I'd assume it's more then one and Wright and JJ would be the most vocal about there displeasure and then more so behind closed doors I'd expect it to be Marco through his agent and possibly Amirs agent expressing concerns over Reggies minutes (which we all are).
nad_oh_henry
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#89 » by nad_oh_henry » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:44 am

I missed the interview, does anyone have a link to where I can listen to it? thx
Strategist1
Head Coach
And1: 413

Post#90 » by Strategist1 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:48 am

I think its Marco and Banks.

Banks' contract is expiring next year and the dude wants to play so he can earn his next contract. If he doesn't play, he might not be able to prove himself.

Out of all the guys on the roster, I'd understand if Banks requested more minutes. This is his livelihood. Like what Mike James said, his fam needs to eat. Out of respect, perhaps they should consider trading him in the offseason. OR trade someone else.. :P so that he can be the backup PG for the Raps next year.

Marco is highly probable too. He had expectations of playing 20-25 minutes a game this season.

My 3rd guesses is a tie... Antoine Wright and Jose Calderon. A. Wright might not like the idea of CACK closing out ball games when he can adequately play defence and a rookie starting ahead of him.

Jose is one feisty guy. If you watched interviews when he came back, you can tell he wants his starting job back. He will never complain or bring it up in public though.
Prediction
Spurs in 7. Parker MVP. Lebron 6-17fg, 18pt, 8reb, 5 asst in game 7 LOSS.
The Heat will choke!
cookieman
Sixth Man
And1: 192

Post#91 » by cookieman » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:54 am

I think it's one or both of Calderon and Jack, which is why we are treated with inexplicable regularity to 4th quarter Cack. My money is on Calderon. Belinelli's agent lobbying for minutes is a non-factor. Calderon making waves could cause problems. Of course this is all idle speculation, but hey, it's fun. Between this situation, and BC's comment that some players don't fit with Turk, I think the writing is on the wall this summer for Jose.
vado
Analyst
And1: 2,172

Post#92 » by vado » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:12 am

Marco, Amir and Antoine would be logical. Amir has a point though.
Jakay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,928

Post#93 » by Jakay » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:37 am

Antoine would be in the category of "looking for his" for sure, since he's been taking more long distance shots when he should be moving the ball to better shooters lately.

And Turk has been disappointing. IF the rumour that he smokes like a chimney at the clubs is true, well, it would explain plenty.

I like Colangelo's candidness. Yes, he is careful with his wording, but he has to be. If he was truly candid it would be terrible for the team. He still says more than your average GM does about the team, and even his spun sentiment is still far more revealing than nothing at all.

But, he's always on preemptive damage control, that's for sure, while finger wagging.
sule
RealGM
And1: 34,205

Post#94 » by sule » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:33 am

Jakay wrote:I like Colangelo's candidness. Yes, he is careful with his wording, but he has to be. If he was truly candid it would be terrible for the team. He still says more than your average GM does about the team, and even his spun sentiment is still far more revealing than nothing at all.

But, he's always on preemptive damage control, that's for sure, while finger wagging.

I'd rather Colangelo's approach than Babcock's....ugh...he just sat there in the stands with ear plugs so he couldn't hear the boos from fans from whom he screwed money out of.
deno07
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#95 » by deno07 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:03 am

Vlade Divac wrote:If it is Amir I second his requests. He and Sony are ONLY two players who should play MUCH MORE.

As far as Belli Nelli is concerned, seriously I would let him go right now, because he proved that he cannot play in NBA.

You are moronic seriously,clueless and ignorant .Belinelli can't play in the NBA ? You don't know anything about basketball and if he is complaining which I don't think he is ,he should be .He should be starting and they are 3 and 8 after the allstar break and his minutes have been cut from 18 to 7 minutes per game.They are losing with him not playing .Do you have a brain ? I don't think so .Wright can't play in this league .
Anatomize
General Manager
And1: 6,167

Post#96 » by Anatomize » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:29 pm

How can Wright bitch about minutes? He plays the entire second half and most important minutes of ball games over better suited players such as Weems and Belinelli.

Put it into perspective, how many wing players are as bad, unathletic, overrated, and unable to make an open shot in the NBA as Wright? Wright barely gets an inch off the ground when he goes for a layup, his knees look shot.

Thanks Triano, good to see you love Wright's 'leadership', but as long as he and Jose are out there we continue to slip in games. Most of the time when Weems is out there, we're winning, it showed vs Sacramento in the first half and vs LA, and Triano just chooses to bench players who are actually performing on the court. Belinelli is also an intangibles guy, people act like if he doesn't hit his shots, he does little else, but his +/- isn't indicative of that, he has an influence on the game in many different ways. Lastly, Belinelli is a 'future piece' for BC and the Raptors, why are we doghousing a guy with this much talent who can be our starting SG or sixth man? Ridiculous.

How many other teams would hand Wright as many minutes we have? There is a reason Dallas let him go, and they are enamored with statistics relative to position and 'fitted' players for winning a championship, clearly, Wright wasn't a part of that.

Wright/Jose/Evans > Johnson/Weems/Belinelli.............
pspot
General Manager
And1: 283

Post#97 » by pspot » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:46 pm

One of the great things about BC and top end GMs they just don't abandon the team after they make a signing,trade,pick

BC interjects when needed and bitch slaps people back into place

There is continuity and a 'team' mentality from the top down
nm
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,399

Post#98 » by Crazy-Canuck » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:48 pm

pspot wrote:One of the great things about BC and top end GMs they just don't abandon the team after they make a signing,trade,pick

This time though, Triano has lost the team.

All the screaming in the world wont get the players to respect Triano. Respect is earned and clearly Triano cant earn it.
Yuri Vaultin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 14,278

Post#99 » by Yuri Vaultin » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:50 pm

deno07 wrote:
Vlade Divac wrote:If it is Amir I second his requests. He and Sony are ONLY two players who should play MUCH MORE.

As far as Belli Nelli is concerned, seriously I would let him go right now, because he proved that he cannot play in NBA.

You are moronic seriously,clueless and ignorant .Belinelli can't play in the NBA ? You don't know anything about basketball and if he is complaining which I don't think he is ,he should be .He should be starting and they are 3 and 8 after the allstar break and his minutes have been cut from 18 to 7 minutes per game.They are losing with him not playing .Do you have a brain ? I don't think so .Wright can't play in this league .

You need to take a few of these.

I would not be surprised, given your history that this little out burst results in a holiday of sorts.

Yuri
Props to Turbo_Zone for the sig.
pspot
General Manager
And1: 283

Post#100 » by pspot » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:53 pm

Crazy-Canuck wrote:
pspot wrote:One of the great things about BC and top end GMs they just don't abandon the team after they make a signing,trade,pick

This time though, Triano has lost the team.

All the screaming in the world wont get the players to respect Triano. Respect is earned and clearly Triano cant earn it.

I don't know, things were pretty awful when every loss was by 20+ . That was maybe one of the most if not the most frustrating time I've had as a Raps fan.....not counting last year :)

At this point they've won, they've beat some of the top end teams and I think the players and coaches know what they are capable of they just need to keep focused and not panic now that its getting into the thick of things. IF they can make it out of this and become a winning team again I think it will be better for them in the playoffs.
nm

Return to Toronto Raptors