Game 50: Utah Jazz (24-25) vs Philadelphia 76ers (29-17)

Moderators: Inigo Montoya, FJS

Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,471

Game 50: Utah Jazz (24-25) vs Philadelphia 76ers (29-17) 

Post#1 » by Inigo Montoya » Thu Feb 1, 2024 10:41 am

Time to start another run. Thankfully the Lakers aren't doing well either and Dallas continues to lose altitude. The Sixers have a bunch of injuries so the Jazz should take advantage.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
FJS
Senior Mod - Jazz
Senior Mod - Jazz
And1: 2,078

Re: Game 50: Utah Jazz (24-25) vs Philadelphia 76ers (29-17) 

Post#2 » by FJS » Thu Feb 1, 2024 6:05 pm

Tyrese Maxey PG Wed, Jan 31 Ankle Game Time Decision
Kenneth Lofton Jr. PF Wed, Jan 31 Personal Expected to be out until at least Feb 3
Nicolas Batum PF Wed, Jan 31 Hamstring Game Time Decision
De'Anthony Melton SG Wed, Jan 31 Back Expected to be out until at least Feb 3
Joel Embiid C Wed, Jan 31 Knee Expected to be out until at least Feb 3
Marcus Morris PF Wed, Jan 31 Foot Game Time Decision
Robert Covington PF Wed, Jan 24 Knee Expected to be out until at least Feb 22
FJS
Senior Mod - Jazz
Senior Mod - Jazz

Post#3 » by FJS » Thu Feb 1, 2024 6:06 pm

Better to win this one.
Lakers are doing as bad as us. Houston and GSW aren't doing well either, so our play in position is not in danger... but we have to try to do better than 10th place.
TNJazz
Rookie
And1: 432

Post#4 » by TNJazz » Thu Feb 1, 2024 11:43 pm

This is a winnable game! Lakers win and lose exactly when the Jazz do so no progress over them has been gained or lost since we moved into the play-in spot (#10) several games ago. Maybe tonight they start another set of winning basketball!
bkohler
Rookie
And1: 461

Post#5 » by bkohler » Fri Feb 2, 2024 5:44 am

Oi. No Embiid and still couldn’t pull it out. That maxey guy is good.
Gert42
Senior
And1: 215

Post#6 » by Gert42 » Fri Feb 2, 2024 5:48 am

This is a bad loss. Played too bad in transition in the first half. A lot of stalled offenses and bad bounces too.

I liked how they put Simone against Maxey in the fourth. This team desperately needs the trade deadline to come and pass, whether that means making deals or standing pat.
BigJimFinn
Junior
And1: 347

Post#7 » by BigJimFinn » Fri Feb 2, 2024 9:36 am

Kris Dunn got the Jazz back into this game with his defense on Maxey in the 3rd. So he sits the 4th Q, as Clarkson goes 1/7 from three and dribbles into shot clock violations, and then overdribbles again the last possession to give up the last chance of tying the game. That is the rotation change I want to see: closing with the starters, instead of getting burned by the flame blowing back into your face in most games. Never thought I would fighting for Kris Dunn, but he has earned it, and in this game the starter played 16 mins and the bench guy 34. That makes no sense. I hope that change is forced on Hardy by a trade, which I see as the only reason to overplay and overindulge JC.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,471

Post#8 » by Inigo Montoya » Fri Feb 2, 2024 10:15 am

1. I thought it was a good game but a disappointing one at the same time.

2. We keep falling behind when opening the game and having to chase our opponent the entire night. This has been a regular occurrence.

3. I thought Collins played well. Markkanen balled out in the 4th, Sexton George were solid. Too bad that Fontecchio missed a bunch of open 3s. He had good looks that just didn't fall.

4. When Kessler isn't on the floor, opponents score way too easily in the paint. There is no deterrence and they score with ease. Even though Collins is playing well, I think once the trade deadline passes it will be time to see what this team can do with Kessler starting and maybe the Jazz won't have to play from behind all game so often.

5. Kessler was really good. 8pts+7rbs+2ast+4blk in 14 minutes. Yes, he started the year poorly but it seems like he's been back to his former self for a while now. He should get more minutes.

6. Clarkson had a rough game. Springer did a great job defending him and Clarkson kept dribbling right into the help defense.

7. Sucks that we lost, it would have really helped. How tf did the Lakers beat the Celtics on the road without LeBron and AD?
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
FJS
Senior Mod - Jazz
Senior Mod - Jazz

Post#9 » by FJS » Fri Feb 2, 2024 10:19 am

There's no sense in play too little Dunn and Kessler.

When they play our deffense it's just better.

We use to finish games without Fontecchio too.. and we need defensive players. This team can score, but can't defend.

I'm tired to see George, Clarkson play so poorly. Sexton has good %, but he use to be blocked and do some bonehead plays. George and Clarkson aren't pg. We cannot play 2 of George, Clarkson and Sexton together. It's horrible.
Collins tries, but he is not a C. Lauri is too soft in defense... Without Kessler, it's a easy path to the basket.
red4hf
Jazz Forum GTS Champion 2019-2020
And1: 983

Post#10 » by red4hf » Fri Feb 2, 2024 11:19 am

Inigo Montoya wrote:1. I thought it was a good game but a disappointing one at the same time.

2. We keep falling behind when opening the game and having to chase our opponent the entire night. This has been a regular occurrence.

3. I thought Collins played well. Markkanen balled out in the 4th, Sexton George were solid. Too bad that Fontecchio missed a bunch of open 3s. He had good looks that just didn't fall.

4. When Kessler isn't on the floor, opponents score way too easily in the paint. There is no deterrence and they score with ease. Even though Collins is playing well, I think once the trade deadline passes it will be time to see what this team can do with Kessler starting and maybe the Jazz won't have to play from behind all game so often.

5. Kessler was really good. 8pts+7rbs+2ast+4blk in 14 minutes. Yes, he started the year poorly but it seems like he's been back to his former self for a while now. He should get more minutes.

6. Clarkson had a rough game. Springer did a great job defending him and Clarkson kept dribbling right into the help defense.

7. Sucks that we lost, it would have really helped. How tf did the Lakers beat the Celtics on the road without LeBron and AD?

If only we had someone who could, you know, make decisions to play players more minutes...... It's too bad that we apparently don't have one of those.......
FJS
Senior Mod - Jazz
Senior Mod - Jazz

Post#11 » by FJS » Fri Feb 2, 2024 12:22 pm

Our deffensive players:
Dunn 16 min +3
Kessler 14 min + 4
Fontecchio 26 min +5

Then
Collins 34 min -7
Clarkson 34 min -4
And thank god Keyonte had a decent game, but still was -1.

Collins is doing his numbers, but he is not a Center. Clarkson has 1 of every 5 games good, then he sucks. Sit him down when he does. Same with Keyonte.
Dunn is not scoring, but you have sexton and Lauri to score.

I'm sure the most competitive 5 we can put to close games is:
Kessler
Markkanen
Fontecchio
Sexton
Dunn

If Clarkson has a good night, then him for Sexton.

We can't stop anyone, but we play totally liabities on defense.

Collins, Lauri, Olynyk, Sexton, Clarkson, George are below average defenders. Agbaji is lost lately and Simone, Dunn and Kessler do all they can do in limited minutes.

Return to Utah Jazz