Are we starting Kris Dunn at PG?

Moderators: Inigo Montoya, FJS

Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,471

Re: Are we starting Kris Dunn at PG? 

Post#21 » by Inigo Montoya » Wed Jun 28, 2023 4:07 pm

stitches wrote:BTW, another option that's not being talked about much in Jazz media - Vasilije Micic. He's expressed desire to play in the NBA next year and the OKC hold his rights. They supposedly want a 1st for him... Since it seems like we prefer for the picke we owe them to convey in 2024, maybe they would be OK if we just drop the protection on the pick? Would you do that?

I thought about Micic as an option. If all it takes is removing the protection from the pick we already owe for next season then yes, I'd do that.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,028

Post#22 » by SoCalJazzFan » Wed Jun 28, 2023 5:34 pm

I have to admit, I don't know a lot about Micic. His Euro stats look ok, but sometimes career Euro guys who come to the NBA don't fare so well.

Also, will he be better than Dunn, who certainly is a defensive dawg and showed improvement in distributing and shooting last season? Would we be willing to let Dunn go to sign Micic? I'm probably not on board with that.

Further, do we need another pg/combo guard? We are thin at the wing (SG/SF).
Crunch 99
General Manager
And1: 3,713

Post#23 » by Crunch 99 » Tue Aug 8, 2023 1:15 pm

BigJimFinn wrote:I will just repost this here:

Summary for TL;DR: good as a backup PG and situational defender, bad as a starter.
Jazz need a much better lead ballhandler/playmaker than any of Dunn, THT, Sexton or JC.

Spoiler:
I was happy to see Dunn work so well as a late addition to a team that lacked a PG, but also happy that Jazz didn't fall in love by giving him a long or overpaid contract. He should be OK as a backup, but as a 30 minute starter he would set a hard ceiling on your offense (and likely be less effective as a defender). I watched him play for the Bulls with Lauri for 3 years, so I won't be easily convinced he's now a totally different player.

The obvious main problem is his lack of shooting threat. A lead ballhandler who can't shoot threes off the dribble basically cripples your PnR game from the beginning, and any guard who takes 2 three-point attempts per 36 will hurt your spacing. Dunn is a career 31% shooter on very low volume of only catch-n-shoot 3s. He made 2 pull-up three-pointers for the Jazz; not 2 per game, but 2 in the 22 games he played. He shot a remarkable 47% on assisted, mostly wide open standstill looks; I can believe he's worked on his shot in the long years away from the spotlight, but that small-sample excellence is surely not sustainable, and on such low volume it wouldn't add much value anyway.

The other small-sample issue is the area where he actually does take shots. Over 70% of his attempts come in the paint, with short jump hooks, flip shots and floaters usually off two feet and after several patient dribbles. That's good, because that's where he is most effective: 52% with the Jazz in the 3-10' range, again 10% above his career level. At the rim, he made a fabulous 77%, or 18% above his career average, and this must have been a mirage. He's cut off almost all the mid-range jumpers he used to take, which is a very good thing and likely a permanent improvement. Again the lack of a pull-up threat just negates his ability to run PnR effectively.

So I believe that Dunn can provide competent ball security and passing as a PG and be a very effective defender especially pressuring weaker ballhandlers and creating havoc. He should be able to score against second units, just not at the high level of efficiency he showed in the short spell for the Jazz. If you trust him to be a starting PG for a team trying to make playoffs, you will be disappointed. His scoring efficiency, which I expect to regress anyway, would drop further against first unit defenses, and his aggressive gambling D would be punished more often.

You likely posted an excellent analysis of Dunn's career, but I think there is some chance that Dunn's recent performance with the Jazz should be given a little more weighting, small sample size notwithstanding. This is a minuscule sample, but he started the last three games for the Jazz and outplayed SGA, Murray and Russell, while averaging 22.3 ppg on 13.7 fga, with 8.3 rebs, 10.0 ast and 3 tovs per game. Imo, the starting job on opening day should be Dunn's job to lose, but the reality is he probably won't start because of ageism, the unlikelihood of a 29 year old late bloomer and the Jazz' lack of contractual investment in Dunn's success.

Dunn's stats when he finally got an opportunity to start the Jazz' last three regular season games:
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach

Post#24 » by SoCalJazzFan » Tue Aug 8, 2023 8:54 pm

I think that there is a good chance that Kris Dunn has improved his game. IMO, we need his playmaking and particularly his onball/perimeter defense. I wish the Jazz would have extended him another year, such as with a team option or partial guarantee.
dr0welf
Analyst
And1: 777

Post#25 » by dr0welf » Thu Sep 14, 2023 11:08 pm

Would Cameron Payne be a better option for us? I believe he got released
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#26 » by Inigo Montoya » Fri Sep 15, 2023 12:12 pm

dr0welf wrote:Would Cameron Payne be a better option for us? I believe he got released

I thought about it too when I read he was released. He might be, but it would be hard to give everyone playing time as it is, let alone if we bring him on. If I had to guess, it would be that the Jazz will try to make a trade before the trade deadline that involves some of the players at the PG position, especially if Keyonte George shows signs he's ready.

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
Crunch 99
General Manager

Post#27 » by Crunch 99 » Tue Oct 17, 2023 12:51 pm

10/17/23 Kris Dunn has ridden his unique confidence to become the Utah Jazz’s most reliable point guard, by Andy Larsen
https://www.sltrib.com/sports/jazz/2023/10/17/kris-dunn-has-ridden-his-unique/
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach

Post#28 » by SoCalJazzFan » Tue Oct 17, 2023 8:21 pm

Crunch 99 wrote:10/17/23 Kris Dunn has ridden his unique confidence to become the Utah Jazz’s most reliable point guard, by Andy Larsen
https://www.sltrib.com/sports/jazz/2023/10/17/kris-dunn-has-ridden-his-unique/

I wonder if the Jazz are now regretting not giving Dunn and extra year on his contract so that they could extend him now.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#29 » by Inigo Montoya » Wed Oct 18, 2023 11:29 am

Utah Jazz reportedly discussed a trade with Houston Rockets involving Talen Horton-Tucker
https://www.deseret.com/2023/10/17/23921703/utah-jazz-reportedly-discussed-trading-talen-horton-tucker-to-houston-rockets-kevin-porter-jr

Per Yahoo Sports’ Jake Fischer, the Jazz and Rockets were in touch about a potential deal following the Porter trade, possibly involving Oladipo and additional Houston second round picks, as the Rockets look to add more win-now talent to their roster.

According to Fischer, that potential deal would have seen the Jazz send guard Talen Horton-Tucker to Houston.

Sources told Fischer that the Jazz have “seen continued progress from former No. 5 pick Kris Dunn — who’s found somewhat of a resurgence in Salt Lake City — and would like to afford plenty of opportunity for 2023 first-round selection Keyonte George to handle the controls of Utah’s offense, as well,” rendering Horton-Tucker available.

That the Jazz have looked at unloading someone from their crowded guard rotation isn’t all that surprising. Utah had reportedly looked to upgrade that position earlier this offseason, when guard Jrue Holiday was on the market after being acquired by the Portland Trail Blazers as part of the trade that sent Damian Lillard to Milwaukee.

Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,326

Post#30 » by Catchall » Thu Oct 19, 2023 4:15 am

Dunn is probably the Jazz's best floor general and is an excellent point-of-attack defender. Not sure if he starts or not, but I'd play him 25 mins and might have him close games.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
ForeverRDjazz
Starter
And1: 549

Post#31 » by ForeverRDjazz » Sun Oct 22, 2023 1:10 pm

Preseason games jazz didn't run a whole lot of pick and roll plays so not sure we need a PG who great at P@R and more the drive and pass PG who I believe that's about every PG on the team. Thinking our SG PG players are all inter changeable.
Crunch 99
General Manager

Post#32 » by Crunch 99 » Mon Oct 23, 2023 10:40 am

Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#33 » by Inigo Montoya » Mon Oct 23, 2023 12:10 pm

Nice. Happy for Dunn, and hopefully this will help him stick in the league long-term.

Hoops Addict
Sixth Man
And1: 167

Post#34 » by Hoops Addict » Tue Oct 24, 2023 7:33 pm

Dunn is showing a lot. He should get 20 minutes a game....and so should Geroge.
Hoops Addict
Sixth Man
And1: 167

Post#35 » by Hoops Addict » Tue Oct 24, 2023 7:34 pm

Dunn's defense is complimentary to play with Clarkson.
Crunch 99
General Manager

Post#36 » by Crunch 99 » Mon Jan 29, 2024 4:59 pm

It took until the 29th game of the season and for Clarkson to be inactive for the coaching staff to figure out that it would be a good idea to regularly start Dunn for defense, along with playmaking, but they finally got there.

Starting Dunn is only one of many factors contributing to the Jazz' 14-5 win/loss record beginning Dec 21, but it is an important factor imo. Though Dunn is only averaging 5.4 ppg since becoming a permanent starter, he is doing it on a not horrible 55.1 TS%, along with a good 5.8 ast, 1.1 tov, 3.5 rebs and 1 stl in 21.3 mpg - while playing defense.

https://www.nba.com/stats/players/traditional?TeamID=1610612762&DateFrom=12%2F21%2F2023&DateTo=01%2F29%2F2024

I've regularly lamented that Dunn is not signed for longer, but given that he is a very unusual NBA starter only averaging 5.8 ppg for his combined starts, I think the Jazz will have a reasonable chance to re-sign him. I can't see another team going after Dunn for a starter, and his 4.4 ppg along with 2.8 ast and 1 tov as a bench player is not very exciting either.

Words of caution: I probably just jinxed Dunn with this post. Also, the Jazz' 73% win % since making Dunn a permanent starter is not sustainable, but I am optimistic for the Jazz' chances to win more games than they lose going forward. Go Jazz!
TNJazz
Rookie
And1: 432

Post#37 » by TNJazz » Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:23 pm

So glad Dunn has become the starter! I agree it is too bad he isn't secured past this year, but maybe both sides wanted it that way. (OK, not Dunn's side) but his production may be a result of his needing to prove he belongs so he plays with a chip and an attitude and a desire. He does seem to have the support of Hardy and his teammates, so hopefully you are correct Crunch and the Jazz can keep him on a quality deal for both sides for a few years.

As far as the winning %, the next several games are a gauntlet, especially once they finish in NY. 2 road games back to back Nets/Knicks, both winnable, especially since Randle most likely won't be available with his shoulder injury, but then...Home for Philly, Bucks, OKC, Road for Suns, then nice home stand GSW, Lakers, GSW (makeup game, back to back). How bout that Jazz!
FJS
Senior Mod - Jazz
Senior Mod - Jazz
And1: 2,078

Post#38 » by FJS » Mon Jan 29, 2024 7:19 pm

I only hope he plays more minutes, and Keyonte plays less.

He is great alongside Sexton or Clarkson.
theFireBlanket
RealGM
And1: 4,214

Post#39 » by theFireBlanket » Sun Feb 4, 2024 4:17 pm

Let him get on the plane to Milwaukee after the game tonight? :pray:
DukeH wrote:Plenty, RealGM Bucks Board is the Golden Dawn of forums.

f=21 runs better with Diesel, #FreeChuckDiesel

Return to Utah Jazz