WOJ: Collins to Utah

Moderators: Inigo Montoya, FJS

atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,621

Re: WOJ: Collins to Utah 

Post#101 » by atlantabbq99 » Sun Dec 10, 2023 9:13 pm

^ Agree, he is nothing special. "needs a stretch 5 and elite passing PG" Collins needs way too much help for things to go right. Collins is an okay role player or 6th man, but like i have been saying for years, Collins' contract vs talent is a negative value. He is getting paid like an All Star but producing like a bench player

Collins is currently the highest paid player for Utah but he is only the 3rd best scorer and 6th on the team in advanced analytics.
vtime
Rookie
And1: 251

Post#102 » by vtime » Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:08 pm

vtime wrote:Makes perfect sense. They will try to win and Hendricks can come along slowly and progress naturally instead of being forced into a huge role. When he is ready, Collins or could be moved for assets if necessary or continue to rotate those 4 along the frontline.

He’s really played well. With the rising contracts on players today, it’s not even a bad value contract.
ForeverRDjazz
Starter
And1: 549

Post#103 » by ForeverRDjazz » Mon Jan 15, 2024 5:35 pm

atlantabbq99 wrote:^ Agree, he is nothing special. "needs a stretch 5 and elite passing PG" Collins needs way too much help for things to go right. Collins is an okay role player or 6th man, but like i have been saying for years, Collins' contract vs talent is a negative value. He is getting paid like an All Star but producing like a bench player

Collins is currently the highest paid player for Utah but he is only the 3rd best scorer and 6th on the team in advanced analytics.

Was happy with the trade. Second round pick and player I was praying we could dump. JC is better than I thought and I'm glad the jazz made the move. Alstar players are making 50 million a year now. Look and LA Clips just signed KL for 153 million for 3 years. Think Hardy has got him and the rest the team all on the same page and playing great. Top 3 teams the last 3 weeks. Hawks and Q is the team looking like they need the draft picks, not the jazz. Yet we are loaded for next few years. Use them or bundle them if needed. Think JC finger has healed up finally and becoming the player he was early in his career. I'd want two first to move him today. Not old vet and second round pick. :D
ForeverRDjazz
Starter
And1: 549

Post#104 » by ForeverRDjazz » Mon Jan 15, 2024 5:36 pm

vtime wrote:
vtime wrote:Makes perfect sense. They will try to win and Hendricks can come along slowly and progress naturally instead of being forced into a huge role. When he is ready, Collins or could be moved for assets if necessary or continue to rotate those 4 along the frontline.

He’s really played well. With the rising contracts on players today, it’s not even a bad value contract.

100% agree. Great fit with Hardy and the jazz today.
red4hf
Jazz Forum GTS Champion 2019-2020
And1: 983

Post#105 » by red4hf » Mon Jan 15, 2024 6:55 pm

Collins leads Jazz in minutes played, btw........,
AGE1207
Senior
And1: 136

Post#106 » by AGE1207 » Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:05 pm

It seems like a good move all around: Hawks happy, Jazz happy and Collins definitely happy…
AGE1207
Senior
And1: 136

Post#107 » by AGE1207 » Sun Jan 28, 2024 8:21 pm

And I am increasingly happy also with Collins. Kessler isn’t having a great 2nd season (putting it nicely) so it’s a good thing we have Collins picking up the slack.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,457

Post#108 » by babyjax13 » Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:18 am

vtime wrote:

Even playing well it's not a good contract. $27 million under the new CBA is about what you should be paying your third best player if you are a contender (two max players, one closer to the max, 1 or 2 around $18-20 million). But one more year shaved off is good for his value, and it's especially good that he shows he can be incorporated into a different system. I expect his +/- numbers to continue to improve from very bad to meh, which is a good outcome considering how bad the beginning of the season was.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
bkohler
Rookie
And1: 461

Post#109 » by bkohler » Mon Jan 29, 2024 4:03 am

babyjax13 wrote:
vtime wrote:

Even playing well it's not a good contract. $27 million under the new CBA is about what you should be paying your third best player if you are a contender (two max players, one closer to the max, 1 or 2 around $18-20 million). But one more year shaved off is good for his value, and it's especially good that he shows he can be incorporated into a different system. I expect his +/- numbers to continue to improve from very bad to meh, which is a good outcome considering how bad the beginning of the season was.

You’ve got a rosier outlook than I do, I don’t expect his +/- to stabilize as I just think he’s not a very positively impactful player all around.

Also, it’s good he’s been impactful in other areas because his 3pt % has plummeted from a strong start to the season. Over the last 15 games he’s shooting 25% from three (basically since Jan 1).
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#110 » by babyjax13 » Mon Jan 29, 2024 4:12 am

bkohler wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:
vtime wrote:

You’ve got a rosier outlook than I do, I don’t expect his +/- to stabilize as I just think he’s not a very positively impactful player all around.

Also, it’s good he’s been impactful in other areas because his 3pt % has plummeted from a strong start to the season. Over the last 15 games he’s shooting 25% from three (basically since Jan 1).

Not positive when we switched him to center, but the last 10 games he has an overwhelmingly positive +/- and his net rating has been trending the right direction. If it continues he's going to look like a below-average to average starter instead of a really bad one, and I think that's right. Don't get me wrong, I wish we would have never traded for him.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
bkohler
Rookie

Post#111 » by bkohler » Mon Jan 29, 2024 4:37 am

I wonder how much of his increase in +/- is related to his being attached to Lauri for a lot of his minutes. When you use cleaning the glass and look at line ups he’s in with Lauri is mostly positive, without Lauri it’s overwhelmingly negative, which is true of most players but I wonder how much it’s bouying those numbers.
TNJazz
Rookie
And1: 432

Post#112 » by TNJazz » Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:09 pm

bkohler wrote:I wonder how much of his increase in +/- is related to his being attached to Lauri for a lot of his minutes. When you use cleaning the glass and look at line ups he’s in with Lauri is mostly positive, without Lauri it’s overwhelmingly negative, which is true of most players but I wonder how much it’s bouying those numbers.

This statement is a result of Hardy doing a good job of coaching and knowing which players work best together, not necessarily putting all the "best" players together as starters etc. While I am not a huge fan of Collins and his play so far, I do like the recent team results with him primarily playing alongside Lauri and Kessler coming off the bench with JC and company. Everyone seems to be buying in and they have been winning at a really good clip. A few more inches on JC's buyer shot and the Jazz would have the best WL last 10 in the west with the Clippers and only 1 behind Clevelands 9-1. Collins seems to be really engaged and was a beast in the Washington game and 20-10 with 2 blocks in the Charlotte game. I'll take that!
bkohler
Rookie

Post#113 » by bkohler » Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:33 pm

I definitely think you’re right about the Hardy thing, to me the biggest take away of this season is Hardy is not just a flash in the pan.
Butter
General Manager
And1: 131

Post#114 » by Butter » Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:49 pm

Realistically, what is the current trade price for Collins? What are is the Jazz's biggest needs?
Sometimes they live by the jumper, and some times they die by the jumper.
HadAnEffectHere
Sixth Man
And1: 873

Post#115 » by HadAnEffectHere » Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:09 pm

Butter wrote:Realistically, what is the current trade price for Collins? What are is the Jazz's biggest needs?

Collins is almost certainly available for cap space. He's a stretch 5, but he doesn't block shots, will get bullied against true centers, and isn't a great shooter.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,471

Post#116 » by Inigo Montoya » Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:45 am

Butter wrote:Realistically, what is the current trade price for Collins? What are is the Jazz's biggest needs?

The Jazz's biggest needs are a natural SF and a facilitating PG, preferably with size.

Not sure what Collins' price would be, the front office will probably want a first round draft pick, even if it's a late one or has protections, and cap relief or a good player with similar salary, which is less likely.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
Butter
General Manager
And1: 131

Post#117 » by Butter » Sun Feb 11, 2024 4:12 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:

The Jazz's biggest needs are a natural SF and a facilitating PG, preferably with size.

Not sure what Collins' price would be, the front office will probably want a first round draft pick, even if it's a late one or has protections, and cap relief or a good player with similar salary, which is less likely.

Any interest in Matisse Thybulle?
Sometimes they live by the jumper, and some times they die by the jumper.
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#118 » by babyjax13 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:00 pm

Butter wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:

Any interest in Matisse Thybulle?

I would take any combination of players from Portland that does not include Ayton.

JColl

Return to Utah Jazz