Sad but true

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

FJS
Senior Mod - Jazz
Senior Mod - Jazz
And1: 2,066

Sad but true 

Post#1 » by FJS » Mon May 6, 2024 11:18 am

You watch Twolves right now with Conley, Gobert, Alexander-Walker and then Mitchell in Cavs, and then you know we had a great team.
Sure we did not have Towns, or McDaniels. Mitchell is more or less like Ant.

It's a pity they did not want to play together, because we were a few roster changes.
TNJazz
Rookie
And1: 432

Re: Sad but true 

Post#2 » by TNJazz » Mon May 6, 2024 12:13 pm

I was thinking the same thing. Watching so many former Jazz recent teammates still playing and being significant contributors is depressing. Add to your list Joe Ingles and The Miny Van. I think the Covid thing really had a major impact between DM and RG that wasn't fixable. Snider saw it a bailed leaving the team unsure of it's direction, hence the blowup. The only time I have disliked watching the Jazz more than these last 2 years was during the Corbin years. I think Hardy is a good coach and while the talk seems primarily surrounding Laury's willingness to stay, I wonder how long Hardy will endure this current path.
Does anyone else wonder what this team might have been like had they kept the team together and brought in Hardy? and made a few tweaks?
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,471

Post#3 » by Inigo Montoya » Mon May 6, 2024 2:30 pm

I thought this was going to be a Metallica tribute thread...

Mitchell is not like Ant because Ant plays very good defense. Perimeter defense was one of the main weaknesses of that Jazz team. The lack of size with the Conley-Mitchell back court also hurt the Jazz, while the Wolves can offset Conley's lack of size with Ant. NAW should have been utilized by Snyder and wasn't, which I think was a mistake on his part.

But that team wasn't going anywhere, and neither are the Cavs, who had to go to game 7 just to make it past the Magic. The Jazz made the second round a few times, and that's as far as it went, which will be the same for the Cavs. What sucks is that Minnesota looks too good but hopefully the Nuggets will take care of them.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
bkohler
Rookie
And1: 461

Post#4 » by bkohler » Mon May 6, 2024 4:16 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:I thought this was going to be a Metallica tribute thread...

Mitchell is not like Ant because Ant plays very good defense. Perimeter defense was one of the main weaknesses of that Jazz team. The lack of size with the Conley-Mitchell back court also hurt the Jazz, while the Wolves can offset Conley's lack of size with Ant. NAW should have been utilized by Snyder and wasn't, which I think was a mistake on his part.

But that team wasn't going anywhere, and neither are the Cavs, who had to go to game 7 just to make it past the Magic. The Jazz made the second round a few times, and that's as far as it went, which will be the same for the Cavs. What sucks is that Minnesota looks too good but hopefully the Nuggets will take care of them.

Weirdly, I think Minnesota looking good might increase the chance they keep everyone together, and I think they're at their peak right now. Also, I'm willing to put a lot of money on Ant playing in LA in 4-5 years. If you think timeline-wise, Ant is where Mitchell was going in 2020. To me, it was the loss to the Clippers the next year that caused everything to fall apart.
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,028

Post#5 » by SoCalJazzFan » Mon May 6, 2024 8:42 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:I thought this was going to be a Metallica tribute thread...

This^^

It is clear now, if it wasn't then, that the lack of perimeter defense and defensive rotation put Gobert in no man's land (the Clippers game stands out) way too often. I suspect that Gobert griping to Mitchell about his defense was a big factor in them increasingly not getting along. How much to blame the players vs Quinn? I don't know.

Gobert still doesn't have a hook shot or post move, so is extra limited offensively, but the TWolves seem to be doing just fine with that limitation.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,431

Post#6 » by babyjax13 » Tue May 7, 2024 6:04 pm

I've been thinking similarly. Lindsay really pissed away assets in a way that lowered our ceiling. I also think it was a mistake to play Mitchell at shooting guard, but I think that it could have worked had we not missed out on some pretty obvious stuff.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
HadAnEffectHere
Sixth Man
And1: 849

Post#7 » by HadAnEffectHere » Tue May 7, 2024 6:49 pm

The Jazz just giving up after the Clippers loss is just inexplicable. We had two Hall of Fame guys under contract for four years in their 20s, and the Jazz responded not by firing Quin and trading for wing defenders, but salary dumping Derrick Favors.

We had Mike Conley (coming off an all-star season) and SIX future firsts available to trade for wings!

Six firsts and an all-star!
D Rog
Junior
And1: 84

Post#8 » by D Rog » Thu May 9, 2024 2:42 pm

Seems like 5+ years ago since that Jazz team was together. My biggest memory is Donovan dribbling and dribbling and dribbling outside the 3 point line while Rudy had 1 small defender pinned under the basket and Donovan wouldn't throw him the ball.

Go Celts
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,471

Post#9 » by Inigo Montoya » Thu May 9, 2024 3:42 pm

D Rog wrote:Seems like 5+ years ago since that Jazz team was together. My biggest memory is Donovan dribbling and dribbling and dribbling outside the 3 point line while Rudy had 1 small defender pinned under the basket and Donovan wouldn't throw him the ball.

Go Celts

That's equally on Gobert than it is on Mitchell. Gobert has proven throughout his time with the Jazz that he can't score anything that isn't a putback or a wide open dunk that was set up for him by other players. He still has zero offensive moves and he has been unable to take advantage when smaller defenders guard him. He complained a lot about not getting the ball enough but when he did get it he did nothing with it so I can't blame Mitchell for not passing him the ball unless he was wide open for an uncontested dunk\layup.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
vryadli
Rookie
And1: 358

Post#10 » by vryadli » Sat May 11, 2024 1:34 am

Inigo Montoya wrote:
D Rog wrote:Seems like 5+ years ago since that Jazz team was together. My biggest memory is Donovan dribbling and dribbling and dribbling outside the 3 point line while Rudy had 1 small defender pinned under the basket and Donovan wouldn't throw him the ball.

Go Celts

That's equally on Gobert than it is on Mitchell. Gobert has proven throughout his time with the Jazz that he can't score anything that isn't a putback or a wide open dunk that was set up for him by other players. He still has zero offensive moves and he has been unable to take advantage when smaller defenders guard him. He complained a lot about not getting the ball enough but when he did get it he did nothing with it so I can't blame Mitchell for not passing him the ball unless he was wide open for an uncontested dunk\layup.

Sure thing. He is limited that he got 14 ppg this season. On highest percentage on whole team... but OK, who cares about things like percentage? Results and efficiency are not important, offensive moves - that is important.

Or, how DM explained to Keyonte, body language. Then one take more shots and don't care about defence, teamwork etc.. Like DM took more shots than the whole CC team in the loss when hi go 50.
FJS
Senior Mod - Jazz
Senior Mod - Jazz
And1: 2,066

Post#11 » by FJS » Tue May 14, 2024 11:46 am

Well, maybe they are doomed to be 2nd round exit in every team they are.
Crunch 99
General Manager
And1: 3,699

Post#12 » by Crunch 99 » Thu May 16, 2024 1:21 am

Well Mitchell missed the last two games in the elimination by Boston, and Conley might miss the last two games for Minnesota, so there is that.
ForeverRDjazz
Starter
And1: 543

Post#13 » by ForeverRDjazz » Thu May 16, 2024 1:50 am

Crunch 99 wrote:Well Mitchell missed the last two games in the elimination by Boston, and Conley might possibly miss the last two games for Minnesota, so there is that.
I can see DM behind closed doors asking to be moved to NY.
D Rog
Junior
And1: 84

Post#14 » by D Rog » Thu May 16, 2024 1:21 pm

ForeverRDjazz wrote:
Crunch 99 wrote:Well Mitchell missed the last two games in the elimination by Boston, and Conley might possibly miss the last two games for Minnesota, so there is that.
I can see DM behind closed doors asking to be moved to NY.

I believe he can make more $$$ and get a longer guaranteed contract by re-signing with Cleveland (not 100% sure that is still how the CBA works). He will sign that and then ask to be moved 6 months to a year later.
Crunch 99
General Manager
And1: 3,699

Post#15 » by Crunch 99 » Thu May 16, 2024 2:01 pm

ForeverRDjazz wrote:I can see DM behind closed doors asking to be moved to NY.

I think the idea of Mitchell to the Knicks has sailed. Brunson is giving the Knicks everything they hoped to get from Mitchell and then some! If the Knicks have money kicking around, they should spend it on different type of players.

Edit: I don't know about Brooklyn's situation.
ForeverRDjazz
Starter
And1: 543

Post#16 » by ForeverRDjazz » Fri May 17, 2024 3:00 am

Crunch 99 wrote:
ForeverRDjazz wrote:I can see DM behind closed doors asking to be moved to NY.

I think the idea of Mitchell to the Knicks has sailed. Brunson is giving the Knicks everything they hoped to get from Mitchell and then some! If the Knicks have money kicking around, they should spend it on different type of players.

Edit: I don't know about Brooklyn's situation.

They wanted them both then and want them both now. Not changed and only a matter of time before DM is back home. Brunson will play point and Mitchell will play is normal position at SG.

Return to Utah Jazz