Utaz Jazz acquire Lauri Markkanen from Cleveland Cavaliers

Moderators: Inigo Montoya, FJS

FranchisePlayer
Sixth Man
And1: 598

Re: Utaz Jazz acquire Lauri Markkanen from Cleveland Cavaliers 

Post#161 » by FranchisePlayer » Thu Dec 1, 2022 7:54 pm

Crunch 99 wrote:After a slow start to the season on 3p%, Markkanen is now up to 39.5%. Over the last ten games, Markkanen is knocking down threes at 46.3%. I wonder if one contributing factor to his slow start on 3pt% could have been him getting in rhythm for the Euro three ball line and then having to readjust back to the NBA three ball line.

Markkanen is at an impressive 64.8% TS% for the season.

I don't think the story is fully written on Markkanen. Probably most coaches say this about their youngish players, but I saw an interview with Coach Hardy a week or two ago where he emphasized that we don't know what the ceiling is for Markkanen yet.

Great analysis! I actually would prefer see him drive to the basket more instead of chucking threes but my gut feeling says he's pacing himself and doesn't want to burn all of his energy by going iso all the time.

I mean, he isn't getting enough the ball and Sexton isn't the guy who can help him in that either.
MrSparkle wrote:I don't see a scenario here or there where Lauri becomes the "7-pick we thought he could be." If you remove his 3P ability, he's worse than Felicio by a mile.

12/2/2022
I like the quote- it makes me chuckle. And it was/is pretty much true.
zero24gravity
Sixth Man
And1: 842

Post#162 » by zero24gravity » Thu Dec 1, 2022 11:00 pm

PaKii94 wrote:Craziest thing is he's still being underutilized. If the guards look for him in the second half how much they do in the first half.... I could see a hot stretch from him averaging 30ppg.

I also think if everything goes right with Conley back, Lauri can get a 50 piece this season if he's the sole focus during a game

I could see this happening, as long as he doesn't fall in love too much with his jump shot. Mixing it up inside/out, slashing, getting offensive rebounds, etc. is the key to his consistency and would provide a better shot at having huge scoring nights.
edededtut
Senior
And1: 699

Post#163 » by edededtut » Fri Dec 2, 2022 12:46 am

The clipper guarding Markkanen didn’t really leave for help at all after the first quarter, which opened up space for other jazz players. And it seemed Lauri was often content to just stand on the wing and let others score..

Yesterday it worked, but when clarkson and other teammates are shooting 3/15 or something Lauri has to be more active.

Dont know if it’s about coaching, but you’d think they’d want more than 11 fga for a guy who’s ts% is about 65%
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,470

Post#164 » by Inigo Montoya » Fri Dec 2, 2022 12:07 pm

Markkanen interview with JJ Redick

Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
FranchisePlayer
Sixth Man

Post#165 » by FranchisePlayer » Fri Dec 2, 2022 6:51 pm

el_Diablo wrote:The clipper guarding Markkanen didn’t really leave for help at all after the first quarter, which opened up space for other jazz players. And it seemed Lauri was often content to just stand on the wing and let others score..

Yesterday it worked, but when clarkson and other teammates are shooting 3/15 or something Lauri has to be more active.

Dont know if it’s about coaching, but you’d think they’d want more than 11 fga for a guy who’s ts% is about 65%

I just find it hard to believe this is some weird reverse psychology type of tactics Hardy is trying to execute, and when/if not, why doesn't he try and stop it?
MrSparkle wrote:I don't see a scenario here or there where Lauri becomes the "7-pick we thought he could be." If you remove his 3P ability, he's worse than Felicio by a mile.

12/2/2022
BigJimFinn
Junior
And1: 347

Post#166 » by BigJimFinn » Sat Dec 3, 2022 9:00 am

FranchisePlayer wrote:
el_Diablo wrote:The clipper guarding Markkanen didn’t really leave for help at all after the first quarter, which opened up space for other jazz players. And it seemed Lauri was often content to just stand on the wing and let others score..

I just find it hard to believe this is some weird reverse psychology type of tactics Hardy is trying to execute, and when/if not, why doesn't he try and stop it?

No need to overcomplicate this. It's not coaching, it's not having a single point guard on the active roster and poor overall BB IQ. The effect was made even more obvious than usual last night when Indy pressed up on the ballhandlers, Jazz lost even the last shred of control. I wonder what Hardy thought when Olynyk was dribbling in the backcourt against a trap, lost the ball and took his 6th foul.
For Clarkson, Sexton and THT every possession is an adventure of dribbling into the unknown. For Beasley, every touch is a shot. So if Lauri needs to steal the ball from them and start iso dribble moves of his own, I'd rather he didn't. He has now great gravity behind the arc, as Diablo said the Clippers had Covington stuck on him like barnacles. It feels bad, but at times standing in the corner, hitting the shots when he gets it and crashing the boards when he doesn't is a very efficient way for him to help the team. On the Cavs it made sense because the team was winning. It remains to be seen whether Utah even wants to settle as a winning team with this squad, or if Lauri should prioritise his own production for the first time in his career.
Jiipee84
Pro Prospect
And1: 237

Post#167 » by Jiipee84 » Sat Dec 3, 2022 12:53 pm

Jiipee84
Pro Prospect

Post#169 » by Jiipee84 » Sat Dec 17, 2022 3:08 am

TallDude
Junior
And1: 140

Post#170 » by TallDude » Tue Dec 20, 2022 1:58 pm

Jordan Clarkson heroball was so ugly to watch last night. Without team first game we are so lost. Clarkson forget he should help the team win and not care his own stats too much. He make so many stupid plays... i cant even count them all. Hole team was awful. Lauri was solid but far from great. Of course he did try to play team basketball but i think he also get enough not even get decent passes. He was way too much standing in the corner. Dont know if it was his or coach choise. Garland and Mitchell kick Clarcsons and Conleys ass everytime. We cant won Cavs in outfield. Lauri must shoot ball more than 12 times. Jordan forced 21 shots. And make 1 point less than Lauri. He should not be nro 1 option against cavs. They are too big for him. Against Cavs Lauri should makes more drives. He atleast can make it ft line.
edededtut
Senior
And1: 699

Post#171 » by edededtut » Wed Dec 21, 2022 11:15 am

so Lauri is now shooting step back threes off the dribble

:-o
TNJazz
Rookie
And1: 432

Post#172 » by TNJazz » Wed Dec 21, 2022 1:54 pm

el_Diablo wrote:so Lauri is now shooting step back threes off the dribble

First night of All-Star voting...put an exclamation point on that shooting frenzy!! Maybe a wake up call for the team to look more for him in the second half of games.
Jiipee84
Pro Prospect

Post#173 » by Jiipee84 » Wed Dec 21, 2022 2:21 pm

Read on Twitter
?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1605419970023809026%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=
FranchisePlayer
Sixth Man

Post#174 » by FranchisePlayer » Wed Dec 21, 2022 9:12 pm

Lauri Markkanen. The Finnisher. The Markksman.

Some insane shooting prowess showcased once more.

12/2/2022
FranchisePlayer
Sixth Man

Post#175 » by FranchisePlayer » Wed Dec 21, 2022 9:14 pm

Yeah, with this much of self-esteem it feels like he can do that with his eyes closed.

12/2/2022
FranchisePlayer
Sixth Man

Post#176 » by FranchisePlayer » Wed Dec 21, 2022 9:24 pm

TNJazz wrote:

First night of All-Star voting...put an exclamation point on that shooting frenzy!! Maybe a wake up call for the team to look more for him in the second half of games.

Word.

I'd like to see something done in Clarkson's case. He has career high FGA, but not career high FG% nor 3P%. He could lay off for a while.

While I'm at it, there's a position to be upgraded, too. Clarkson isn't of starting caliber.

12/2/2022
pickIBL
Head Coach
And1: 951

Post#177 » by pickIBL » Thu Dec 22, 2022 12:30 am

Jc gonna be dealt at the deadline for like a bunch more picks. Take note!
I like my prospects the same way I like my women... foreign- pickIBL
Jiipee84
Pro Prospect

Post#178 » by Jiipee84 » Fri Dec 23, 2022 5:22 am

pickIBL wrote:Jc gonna be dealt at the deadline for like a bunch more picks. Take note!

Are you sure about that?
I read from Jazzfanz.com Jazz are negotiating contract extension with Clarkson.
pickIBL
Head Coach
And1: 951

Post#179 » by pickIBL » Fri Dec 23, 2022 5:47 am

Jiipee84 wrote:
pickIBL wrote:Jc gonna be dealt at the deadline for like a bunch more picks. Take note!

Are you sure about that?
I read from Jazzfanz.com Jazz are negotiating contract extension with Clarkson.

Naa I'm not sure. But realistically Danny is a shrewd wheeler dealer. So if he wants the most out of this then moving jc should happen
I like my prospects the same way I like my women... foreign- pickIBL
dautjazz
RealGM
And1: 9,576

Post#180 » by dautjazz » Fri Dec 23, 2022 8:23 am

What team would be dumb enough to trade multiple FRPs for an expiring contract? Jazz are going to give him an extension. We could get much more in return for him in the future if he's on a longer contract, so long as it's a healthy contract. I think Hardy and Jazz front office like Clarkson and know he's a fan favorite, so I see them holding on to him for a while.
NickAnderson wrote:
How old are you, just curious.

by gomeziee on 21 Jul 2013 00:53

im 20, and i did grow up watching MJ play in the 90's.

Return to Utah Jazz