WOJ: Collins to Utah

Moderators: Inigo Montoya, FJS

Rauxcee
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,140

Re: WOJ: Collins to Utah 

Post#21 » by Rauxcee » Mon Jun 26, 2023 7:13 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:Next year's draft is supposed to be weak and OKC owns our pick. I'm not extatic about this move but it doesn't offend me either. We'd probably be at the 9th-10th pick range next season without this trade anyway. At least the cost was low.

I don't think it matters if it's a weak draft or not. Jazz weren't interested in trying for a generational type talent in this year's draft, so weak or deep doesn't seem to matter to them.

Which, why am I complaining? I've watched the team for 25 years and they are what they are. Well run organization that will only hover as a first/second round playoff team. No high's and no lows. I just need to accept that.
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,756

Post#22 » by AingesBurner » Mon Jun 26, 2023 7:18 pm

Rauxcee wrote:
AingesBurner wrote:
Rauxcee wrote:
I guess he's rebuilding us back to being perennial first round exits then.

No… We have a ton of assets and firsts became even more valuable after the new CBA. Gotta think long term.

Assets don't mean anything in hypothetical scenarios. Maybe we use our assests to get a star player. Maybe we misuse our assests instead, and get a player who doesn't help. Maybe our assets get out bid by a team with better assest like OKC. Don't get me wrong- I would much prefer to have assets versus not- but until they convey it doesn't mean much.

I can only judge the players we have, not unknown players we may never get. (Draft picks are also unknown- but they are Utah's best chance at star players)

I don’t see OKC assets as better. They are equal to ours and I think Luka would rather be in Utah than OKC with how our team is built. Do you think Chet is going to be that good? I see him as injury prone.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,470

Post#23 » by Inigo Montoya » Mon Jun 26, 2023 7:29 pm

Rauxcee wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:Next year's draft is supposed to be weak and OKC owns our pick. I'm not extatic about this move but it doesn't offend me either. We'd probably be at the 9th-10th pick range next season without this trade anyway. At least the cost was low.

I don't think it matters if it's a weak draft or not. Jazz weren't interested in trying for a generational type talent in this year's draft, so weak or deep doesn't seem to matter to them.

Which, why am I complaining? I've watched the team for 25 years and they are what they are. Well run organization that will only hover as a first/second round playoff team. No high's and no lows. I just need to accept that.

Normally I'd agree (and you certainly may end up being right about this) but to me it looks like an asset accumulation move. Before this trade, even if a star became available, the Jazz would have had a lot of trouble matching salaries and give good players back (let's pretend Collins is good in a few months or a year) without giving up Markkanen. And if it doesn't matter if the next draft is weak because the Jazz are unwilling to suck properly then it's no big loss to miss on the pick. We still have plenty more and can always trade into it anyway. It just looks to me like a precursor for a big trade down the road.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
FJS
Senior Mod - Jazz
Senior Mod - Jazz
And1: 2,073

Post#24 » by FJS » Mon Jun 26, 2023 7:38 pm

Man, the guy was a 20-10 in 2020 and he still 25.
Only for a 2nd round pick and Gay... what do you want more?
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#25 » by AingesBurner » Mon Jun 26, 2023 7:39 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:
Rauxcee wrote:

Normally I'd agree (and you certainly may end up being right about this) but to me it looks like an asset accumulation move. Before this trade, even if a star became available, the Jazz would have had a lot of trouble matching salaries and give good players back (let's pretend Collins is good in a few months or a year) without giving up Markkanen. And if it doesn't matter if the next draft is weak because the Jazz are unwilling to suck properly then it's no big loss to miss on the pick. We still have plenty more and can always trade into it anyway. It just looks to me like a precursor for a big trade down the road.

Bingo, rehab a distressed asset.
AGE1207
Senior
And1: 136

Post#26 » by AGE1207 » Mon Jun 26, 2023 7:42 pm

I think it’s potentially a fantastic deal. Low cost, we finally move Rudy Gay and last but not least, Collins can really play…
HadAnEffectHere
Sixth Man
And1: 867

Post#27 » by HadAnEffectHere » Mon Jun 26, 2023 7:45 pm

AingesBurner wrote:
Rauxcee wrote:
AingesBurner wrote:
No… We have a ton of assets and firsts became even more valuable after the new CBA. Gotta think long term.

Assets don't mean anything in hypothetical scenarios. Maybe we use our assests to get a star player. Maybe we misuse our assests instead, and get a player who doesn't help. Maybe our assets get out bid by a team with better assest like OKC. Don't get me wrong- I would much prefer to have assets versus not- but until they convey it doesn't mean much.

I can only judge the players we have, not unknown players we may never get. (Draft picks are also unknown- but they are Utah's best chance at star players)

I don’t see OKC assets as better. They are equal to ours and I think Luka would rather be in Utah than OKC with how our team is built. Do you think Chet is going to be that good? I see him as injury prone.

Jalen Williams is a future all-star

The unprotected 2026 Clipper pick and the top 4 protected 2026 Houston pick are amazing.

Giddey has a lot of trade value.

The Jazz have no chance whatsoever to match OKC's offer.
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#28 » by AingesBurner » Mon Jun 26, 2023 7:48 pm

HadAnEffectHere wrote:
AingesBurner wrote:
Rauxcee wrote:

The unprotected 2026 Clipper pick and the top 4 protected 2026 Houston pick are amazing.

:lol: The 27 and 29 Minny picks are amazing. The 27 Lakers pick is amazing. The 27 or 29 Cleveland pick could be amazing.

John Collins has all star potential.

Keyonte George could be amazing.

Sensabaugh should have been a top 20 pick.
jazzkid
Junior
And1: 6

Post#29 » by jazzkid » Mon Jun 26, 2023 7:48 pm

To get out of the Rudy contract for nothing is great. I've cooled on Collins but this really is a low risk move for us. We have cap space to handle it and if he returns to form then it's a huge win. No immediate pressure on Hendricks to perform and can taje tine to develope.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
HadAnEffectHere
Sixth Man
And1: 867

Post#30 » by HadAnEffectHere » Mon Jun 26, 2023 7:51 pm

AingesBurner wrote:
HadAnEffectHere wrote:
AingesBurner wrote:

:lol: The 27 and 29 Minny picks are amazing. The 27 Lakers pick is amazing. The 27 or 29 Cleveland pick could be amazing.

Keyonte George and Sensabaugh have extremely minimal value as they were picked 16th and 28th. Sensabaugh needs to lose 30 pounds and show he can stay healthy and play within a team concept before he has any value.

The Timberwolves' picks are not nearly as good as the Clippers picks as the Clippers are falling apart whereas the Timberwolves will have Edwards through 2029.
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#31 » by AingesBurner » Mon Jun 26, 2023 7:53 pm

HadAnEffectHere wrote:
AingesBurner wrote:
HadAnEffectHere wrote:

Keyonte George and Sensabaugh have extremely minimal value as they were picked 16th and 28th. Sensabaugh needs to lose 30 pounds and show he can stay healthy and play within a team concept before he has any value.

The Timberwolves' picks are not nearly as good as the Clippers picks as the Clippers are falling apart whereas the Timberwolves will have Edwards through 2029.

Star players have never asked out of Minny before.
vtime
Rookie
And1: 251

Post#32 » by vtime » Mon Jun 26, 2023 8:38 pm

Collins is an outstanding athlete and shooter. Outstanding starting frontcourt now. Playoffs look good now. Would’ve made it last year if Clarkson and Sexton weren’t **** down post all star break.
YoungJazz
Ballboy
And1: 2

Post#33 » by YoungJazz » Mon Jun 26, 2023 10:49 pm

Love this love, another fantastic example of Ainge jumping all over value. I get that the hawks went through a lot last year, and he had his worst year. But I mean the guy has had some really good yeaRs in this league. You could look at this being a great move in time. I approve.
ForeverRDjazz
Starter
And1: 549

Post#34 » by ForeverRDjazz » Mon Jun 26, 2023 10:52 pm

Maybe with Collins and pick this year and future pick and take back Blazer bad contract in Simons we can swing deal for Scoot?
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#35 » by AingesBurner » Mon Jun 26, 2023 11:12 pm

ForeverRDjazz wrote:Maybe with Collins and pick this year and future pick and take back Blazer bad contract in Simons we can swing deal for Scoot?

Doubt that is going to happen.
ForeverRDjazz
Starter
And1: 549

Post#36 » by ForeverRDjazz » Mon Jun 26, 2023 11:13 pm

AingesBurner wrote:
ForeverRDjazz wrote:Maybe with Collins and pick this year and future pick and take back Blazer bad contract in Simons we can swing deal for Scoot?

Hey! you dream Luka and don't be busting my bubble! :D
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#37 » by AingesBurner » Mon Jun 26, 2023 11:34 pm

ForeverRDjazz wrote:
AingesBurner wrote:

Hey! you dream Luka and don't be busting my bubble! :D

Fair enough but Blazers wouldn’t even consider Lauri for #3.
dr0welf
Analyst
And1: 777

Post#38 » by dr0welf » Mon Jun 26, 2023 11:34 pm

If before this trade someone posted a trade proposal of:

Atlanta trades Collins and gets Gay and a 2nd round pick from Utah

That poster would have been accused of drinking too much kool aid. This is a fantastic trade. I love Collins game and it was under utilized in Atlanta. This makes us a full on playoff team with a solid front court given Kessler continues to grow. And it cost us nothing. Most of us wanted Gay off the team anyways and how many 2nd round picks are going to stick on this team with all the 1st round picks we have?

Now is the time to get a solid ball distributor and make this a contending team. Resign JC and get the pg and we are solid!
vtime
Rookie
And1: 251

Post#39 » by vtime » Mon Jun 26, 2023 11:51 pm

12 months ago Collins would’ve easily been considered a better player than Lauri. Really excited to see what this coaching staff can do with a player just as young who had a better pre-Jazz resume than Lauri.
WinterSoldier
Junior
And1: 193

Post#40 » by WinterSoldier » Tue Jun 27, 2023 5:01 am

Feels like a Jazz move, taking a player nobody else wanted, stunting the development of Hendricks, losing our 24 draft pick, and being just bad enough to either miss the play-in or lose the first game of it.

Return to Utah Jazz