New York Watch thread. The race for the 2010 #1 pick.

Moderators: Inigo Montoya, FJS

hoops4life
General Manager
And1: 31

Re: New York Watch thread. The race for the 2010 #1 pick. 

Post#2101 » by hoops4life » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:27 pm

That and they had no reason to tank at all.
Soul Patch
RealGM
And1: 920

Post#2102 » by Soul Patch » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:40 pm

foilfence wrote:I know you guys just follow the box scores, but anyone care to give an evaluation of Gallinari?

Obviously, we're very optimistic with his potential. Just wanted to know what you guys think of his game.

I wasn't impressed by him when he played against us. He seems talented but I don't know if he has the mentality of a franchise player. He'd be a great second or third fiddle.
Jugs wrote:Fark orf slet kent dome wuote ujquote exp
DelaneyRudd
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 9,340

Post#2103 » by DelaneyRudd » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:39 pm

hoops4life wrote:That and they had no reason to tank at all.

No player ever has a reason to tank. No one sucks at work hoping they get replaced with a more capable employee.
Jazzfan12
Assistant Coach
And1: 213

Post#2104 » by Jazzfan12 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:23 pm

Coaches can rest players in key situations to purposely lose games though. The Timberwolves did it a few times this year until they were completely out of danger of losing that second worst record.
hoops4life
General Manager

Post#2105 » by hoops4life » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:00 pm

DelaneyRudd wrote:

No player ever has a reason to tank. No one sucks at work hoping they get replaced with a more capable employee.

Right, I meant the organization as in the President, GM, and possibly coach. I sure hope players don't completely tank. I do think that some take nights off and it happens more frequently with weaker teams.
kebutah
Analyst
And1: 99

Post#2106 » by kebutah » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:12 pm

Players tank in a different way. They quit playing team basketball and try for individual statistics to enhance their next contract negotiation. In other words they gat their stats but the team gets no wins. I think this happens especially with players on an expiring contract on a bad team.
hoops4life
General Manager

Post#2107 » by hoops4life » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:52 pm

Low level players need to worry about being replaced but an average to an above average player with 2 or 3 more years on his contract has nothing to worry about. If they are elminated from the play off's there is no incentive to give a 100% every night. They are more willing to shut it down for the year to rest a minor injury that may not even be a real injury.
Sloanfeld
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#2108 » by Sloanfeld » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:25 am

Well they could have tanked and hoped that we got the #1 pick instead of a division or conference rival. I hope the Sixers get the #1 pick if we don't, that'll show em!
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,977

Post#2109 » by Manhattan Project » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:49 am

kebutah wrote:Players tank in a different way. They quit playing team basketball and try for individual statistics to enhance their next contract negotiation. In other words they gat their stats but the team gets no wins. I think this happens especially with players on an expiring contract on a bad team.

In the beginning of the season I had said that if D'Antoni can convince them that wins = money we could be in business. Two games later everyone went for the stats = money equation. It has to be hard to feel like a team knowing that 2/3rds of the team are just rental players essentially.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Porter Jr l Marshall l Tucker
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
seejaydeja
Lead Assistant
And1: 53

Post#2110 » by seejaydeja » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:53 am

Knicks lose, Clippers win tonight. Both teams have identical records...So what is the tiebreaker?
Clincher
General Manager
And1: 733

Post#2111 » by Clincher » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:01 am

Clincher wrote:Woah Indiana, and New Jersey over the Knicks?

NJ LOST Carter, he opened up everything for every one else. Harris is a stellar player but who else plays for them? Lee is a nice role player maybe, Lopez is an alright big man(Nothing to get worked up over), Alston is a nice backup PG who can start on other teams and who knows what Yi is going to do. You also have a coach who will lose games alone based on bonehead decisions. I like TWill and CDR but do not think they are ready.

Indiana lost Jack, and unless Ford becomes an iron man then who knows with their guards either. Murphy, Granger you know what your getting but I don't like Indiana at the swingman positions, especially with Dunleavy out. That and like NJ, they have an inept coach IMO.

And anyone tell me why Houston will be better than NY? No Tmac, no Yao, no Artest who is their go to guys? Ariza? Brooks? Scola? They are in a similar spot with NY and NY plays in the easier conference so I expect a down yr by the Rockets.

I see SAC, HOU, NJ, IND, MIN, CHA, MEM as teams I think NY finishes better than. Teams like PHI(The loss of Dre Miller is HUGE....that and Eddie Jordan is head coach. Ask Wiz fans how his magic works.), MIL(We are banking on alot here like if Redd can comeback to true form and if Bogut does too), GSW, and maybe WSH(Injuries........Jamison out already. Who's next?).

NYK could give you maybe the 9th-11th pick somewhere around there.

Outside of team choices, my prediction has come to life......

Though the Clips stupidly won their final game, meaning you might have a chance to get the ever dreadful 8th pick......which has brought the likes of Jordan Hill and Channing Frye(As a Knick fan trust me on how dreadful that was).
El Turco
GOTB Fantasy Basketball Ultimate 2x Champion
And1: 20,561

Post#2112 » by El Turco » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:04 am

Clincher wrote:

NJ LOST Carter, he opened up everything for every one else. Harris is a stellar player but who else plays for them? Lee is a nice role player maybe, Lopez is an alright big man(Nothing to get worked up over), Alston is a nice backup PG who can start on other teams and who knows what Yi is going to do. You also have a coach who will lose games alone based on bonehead decisions. I like TWill and CDR but do not think they are ready.

Indiana lost Jack, and unless Ford becomes an iron man then who knows with their guards either. Murphy, Granger you know what your getting but I don't like Indiana at the swingman positions, especially with Dunleavy out. That and like NJ, they have an inept coach IMO.

And anyone tell me why Houston will be better than NY? No Tmac, no Yao, no Artest who is their go to guys? Ariza? Brooks? Scola? They are in a similar spot with NY and NY plays in the easier conference so I expect a down yr by the Rockets.

I see SAC, HOU, NJ, IND, MIN, CHA, MEM as teams I think NY finishes better than. Teams like PHI(The loss of Dre Miller is HUGE....that and Eddie Jordan is head coach. Ask Wiz fans how his magic works.), MIL(We are banking on alot here like if Redd can comeback to true form and if Bogut does too), GSW, and maybe WSH(Injuries........Jamison out already. Who's next?).

Though the Clips stupidly won their final game, meaning you might have a chance to get the ever dreadful 8th pick......which has brought the likes of Jordan Hill and Channing Frye(As a Knick fan trust me on how dreadful that was).

it wasn't the 8th pick that brought those guys to you, it was the genius of Knicks GMs circa 2000.
TheLowlySquire wrote:Wow, Arda! Huge!

Howard Mass wrote:Arda is not a terrorist. Arda is a good person.
Clincher
General Manager

Post#2113 » by Clincher » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:11 am

ElTurco wrote:
Clincher wrote:

it wasn't the 8th pick that brought those guys to you, it was the genius of Knicks GMs circa 2000.

Yeah true but then you also had the following guys who were taken 8th in the past 10 years

Joe Alexander(MIL, 2008)
Brendan Wright(GSW, 2007)
Rudy Gay(MEM, 2006)
Rafael Aruajo(TOR 2004)
TJ Ford(MIL 2003)
Chris Wilcox(LAC 2002)
DeSagana Diop(CLE 2001)
Jamal Crawford(CHI 2000, ugh another Knick great)

At least the 9th pick has brought the likes of Iggy and Noah in past years. Oh and a guy named Amare. Really outside of Gay, the 8th pick has been lackluster if not horrible the past decade. Andre Miller was the year before and he has been hit and miss throughout his career.......

Pick is cursed. I'm just sayin'
El Turco
GOTB Fantasy Basketball Ultimate 2x Champion
And1: 20,561

Post#2114 » by El Turco » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:14 am

Clincher wrote:Yeah true but then you also had the following guys who were taken 8th in the past 10 years

Joe Alexander(MIL, 2008)
Rudy Gay(MEM, 2006)
Rafael Aruajo(UTAH 2004)
TJ Ford(MIL 2003)
Chris Wilcox(LAC 2002)
DeSagana Diop(CLE 2001)

At least the 9th pick has brought the likes of Iggy and Noah in past years. Oh and a guy named Amare. Really outside of Gay, the 8th pick has been lackluster if not horrible the past decade. Andre Miller was the year before and he has been hit and miss throughout his career.......

oh noez you didn't! :nonono:
TheLowlySquire wrote:Wow, Arda! Huge!

Howard Mass wrote:Arda is not a terrorist. Arda is a good person.
Clincher
General Manager

Post#2115 » by Clincher » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:16 am

ElTurco wrote:
Clincher wrote:Yeah true but then you also had the following guys who were taken 8th in the past 10 years

Joe Alexander(MIL, 2008)
Rudy Gay(MEM, 2006)
Rafael Aruajo(UTAH 2004)
TJ Ford(MIL 2003)
Chris Wilcox(LAC 2002)
DeSagana Diop(CLE 2001)

oh noez you didn't! :nonono:

LOL I edited that baby out too but too little too late.

But yeah Hoffa was sadly a Raptor until he took his **** to Utah.
Sloanfeld
Banned User

Post#2116 » by Sloanfeld » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:32 am

Ah the draft lottery. Looks like the next Jazz disappointment. 12th Pick here we come!
carrottop12
RealGM
And1: 30

Post#2117 » by carrottop12 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:00 am

Bat wrote:ESPN predicts the Knicks will finish at 32-50, tied for 7th worst in the league. Meaning even if 3 teams were to somehow jump ahead of them in the lottery the Jazz would still get a top 10 pick.

I'm hoping for 8 or higher. Top 3 would be a dream.

Dated 10/2/2009.

Guess I can't be too unhappy so far. We have a 57.3% chance at getting the 8th pick or higher!

Honestly that step between 8th and 9th could be big if Greg Monroe doesn't declare.
Racer X
Sixth Man
And1: 2

Post#2118 » by Racer X » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:59 pm

8th best chance.

Atleast one thing went right last night.
hoops4life
General Manager

Post#2119 » by hoops4life » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:48 pm

8th best chance really? That isn't too shabby. Could have been better could have been worse.
Knicksick
Banned User

Post#2120 » by Knicksick » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:59 pm

As a Knick fan I'm kinda happy. 8th or 9th pick is very decent and you might get a good player out of it but odds for the type of player that Knick fans are gonna lose sleep over a really slim. Still you guys gave up nothing so that's a plus. Also I believe Jazz scouts are good and usually make the most of their pick.....we'll see how it pans out but barring a major lottery luck out the superstar potentials will be gone and that's a good thing for Knick fans.

Return to Utah Jazz