Utaz Jazz acquire Lauri Markkanen from Cleveland Cavaliers

Moderators: Inigo Montoya, FJS

FranchisePlayer
Sixth Man
And1: 598

Re: Utaz Jazz acquire Lauri Markkanen from Cleveland Cavaliers 

Post#221 » by FranchisePlayer » Sun Feb 26, 2023 10:46 pm

Read on Twitter

Although an ardent supporter of the Finnisher, I for one am amazed. Where is the ceiling for this guy? If he stays injury free, pretty high I reckon.
MrSparkle wrote:I don't see a scenario here or there where Lauri becomes the "7-pick we thought he could be." If you remove his 3P ability, he's worse than Felicio by a mile.

12/2/2022
I like the quote- it makes me chuckle. And it was/is pretty much true.
TNJazz
Rookie
And1: 432

Post#222 » by TNJazz » Mon Feb 27, 2023 1:54 am

Wow, that is an incredible stat. he also is pretty good at the midrange. Makes him almost unstoppable. When the coaches and players learn how to use his talents at a higher level, that could be even more amazing!
FranchisePlayer
Sixth Man

Post#223 » by FranchisePlayer » Tue Feb 28, 2023 7:46 pm

TNJazz wrote:Wow, that is an incredible stat. he also is pretty good at the midrange. Makes him almost unstoppable. When the coaches and players learn how to use his talents at a higher level, that could be even more amazing!

Yeah. The most crucial thing for the Jazz both short and long term is finding a true floor general, a lean mean passing machine who feeds Markkanen like moms their babies.
MrSparkle wrote:I don't see a scenario here or there where Lauri becomes the "7-pick we thought he could be." If you remove his 3P ability, he's worse than Felicio by a mile.

12/2/2022
Crunch 99
General Manager
And1: 3,713

Post#224 » by Crunch 99 » Sat Mar 11, 2023 4:13 pm

Utah's Lauri Markkanen: Most Improved Player award 'not main goal'
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/35826153/utah-lauri-markkanen-most-improved-player-award-not-main-goal

Snips: The main goal for Markkanen is improving a game that seems to be getting better and better each night. Jazz coach Will Hardy noted before Thursday's win that he still sees plenty of "room for growth" as Markkanen's confidence grows, adding, "I don't know if we're even close to the ceiling yet."

Markkanen was quick to smile when asked about the difference between being the guy counted on to make a big shot and being the guy counted on to make a big shot every night. "I think I'm getting more and more comfortable in those situations," he said.
FranchisePlayer
Sixth Man

Post#225 » by FranchisePlayer » Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:50 pm

Read on Twitter

You don't suppose the Cavs are having any second thoughts?

#TheFinnisher #onfire

12/2/2022
Jiipee84
Pro Prospect
And1: 237

Post#226 » by Jiipee84 » Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:30 pm

Jiipee84
Pro Prospect

Post#227 » by Jiipee84 » Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:52 am

Ryan Archidiacono you **** idiot.
That brain-fart could've caused serious injury for Lauri.
Was Archidiacono's move suspension and fines worthy?

Read on Twitter
?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1638754048353636352%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=
edededtut
Senior
And1: 699

Post#228 » by edededtut » Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:56 am

If Lauri wants to play the whole season with 50-40-85 he should maybe start thinking about the shot selection a bit. He is at 40,04% for threes at the moment.

While playing for personal shooting percentages obviously isn't that important, he's been taking one or two "bad" threes per game lately. I get that he can make them and it's possible the Jazz wont get a better shot up in the possession, but often a better option would be a pump fake and putting the ball on the floor and seeing what happens..
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,471

Post#229 » by Inigo Montoya » Mon Apr 3, 2023 4:33 pm

Congrats to Markkanen. Maybe that's why he played vs the Nets? Anyway, now that he has this accomplishment under his belt, it's time to shut him down.

Read on Twitter
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
zero24gravity
Sixth Man
And1: 842

Post#230 » by zero24gravity » Mon Apr 3, 2023 10:36 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:Congrats to Markkanen. Maybe that's why he played vs the Nets? Anyway, now that he has this accomplishment under his belt, it's time to shut him down.

Read on Twitter

Well, he's down to 49.9% FG & 39.2% 3's, so I guess he needs to keep playing to get them up, and have the rare 50/40/80??? Be a bit more selective with his shooting? (I actually don't think that's a motivator, even though it's a pretty cool stat line to be able to boast.)
BigJimFinn
Junior
And1: 347

Post#231 » by BigJimFinn » Tue Apr 4, 2023 3:11 am

zero24gravity wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:Congrats to Markkanen. Maybe that's why he played vs the Nets? Anyway, now that he has this accomplishment under his belt, it's time to shut him down.

Read on Twitter

Well, he's down to 49.9% FG & 39.2% 3's, so I guess he needs to keep playing to get them up, and have the rare 50/40/80??? Be a bit more selective with his shooting? (I actually don't think that's a motivator, even though it's a pretty cool stat line to be able to boast.)

He hasn't had the luxury of being more selective recently, which has clearly affected his efficiency, and it seems this was by design. My strong feeling is that in addition to tanking, Jazz wanted to force a situation where Lauri had to increase his usage and create his own shots against the maximum attention from defenses, to get him learning reps as first offensive option. Lauri has always been a streaky shooter, and his three-point shooting form with a quick, high release and fairly flat arc has a small margin of error. You can often clearly see when his shot looks "off" due to being physically or mentally overloaded, and that has mostly been the case after the AS break and trades. I agree that it's time to end that experiment and start preparing for next season.

The important thing is that Lauri has kept going inside and established a high scoring baseline with paint buckets and FTs, despite being doubled and battered, while earlier in his career he tended to fade against physical defenses. His playmaking has also improved, yet passing and ball security against helping defenses is still where the biggest remaining potential for growth can be found. Now I feel that as a second option with a good playmaker Lauri could reliably average 20+ ppg on 65% TS, which has immense value, but his ceiling as first option is still to be discovered.
BigJimFinn
Junior
And1: 347

Post#233 » by BigJimFinn » Thu Apr 6, 2023 1:44 pm

Lauri has just given an interview to ESPN and told that he will report for his national service at Defence Forces Sports School this off-season, likely starting April 17th. Theoretically, the minimum mandatory service is 6 months, but I am sure in practice they will allow him to attend the FIBA World Cup with Finland and return to Utah fairly soon after that. Since it's in the elite athletes' programme, he should be able to train almost normally and use the NT facilities.
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,028

Post#234 » by SoCalJazzFan » Thu Apr 6, 2023 5:39 pm

BigJimFinn wrote:Lauri has just given an interview to ESPN and told that he will report for his national service at Defence Forces Sports School this off-season, likely starting April 17th. Theoretically, the minimum mandatory service is 6 months, but I am sure in practice they will allow him to attend the FIBA World Cup with Finland and return to Utah fairly soon after that. Since it's in the elite athletes' programme, he should be able to train almost normally and use the NT facilities.

I hope he doesn't get burned out like Luka Doncic.
zero24gravity
Sixth Man
And1: 842

Post#235 » by zero24gravity » Thu Apr 6, 2023 7:14 pm

SoCalJazzFan wrote:
BigJimFinn wrote:Lauri has just given an interview to ESPN and told that he will report for his national service at Defence Forces Sports School this off-season, likely starting April 17th. Theoretically, the minimum mandatory service is 6 months, but I am sure in practice they will allow him to attend the FIBA World Cup with Finland and return to Utah fairly soon after that. Since it's in the elite athletes' programme, he should be able to train almost normally and use the NT facilities.

I hope he doesn't get burned out like Luka Doncic.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/other/jazz-s-lauri-markkanen-provides-surprising-update-on-offseason-plans/ar-AA19yMP1?ocid=hpmsn&pc=MDDS&cvid=0dfb89a2c06d4a7ca34191ad3a863233&ei=60
Jiipee84
Pro Prospect

Post#236 » by Jiipee84 » Mon Apr 10, 2023 8:11 pm

Jiipee84
Pro Prospect

Post#237 » by Jiipee84 » Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:05 am

Read on Twitter
?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1647005496929562625%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=
Taikuri
Pro Prospect
And1: 307

Post#239 » by Taikuri » Fri Aug 4, 2023 11:24 pm

Finland beat Lithuania 81-79 in a friendly game in a World Cup prep game. A lot of Lauri featured in these highlights. He scored 24 points and got 7 rebounds in 32 minutes that he played. The game ended just some hours ago, so you'll see the latest of Lauri.

Here's the video:

PaKii94
RealGM
And1: 6,554

Post#240 » by PaKii94 » Sat Aug 5, 2023 1:34 am

Taikuri wrote:Finland beat Lithuania 81-79 in a friendly game in a World Cup prep game. A lot of Lauri featured in these highlights. He scored 24 points and got 7 rebounds in 32 minutes that he played. The game ended just some hours ago, so you'll see the latest of Lauri.

Here's the video:

Was there any streams to watch it live? Is there a schedule of Finland's games out there?

Return to Utah Jazz