Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,471

Re: 2023 Trade Rumors 

Post#441 » by Inigo Montoya » Mon Dec 25, 2023 11:36 pm

red4hf wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:Celtics Are Monitoring Kelly Olynyk
https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/274081/Celtics-Are-Monitoring-Kelly-Olynyk

Not sure if the Celtics have anything we'd want.

Payton Prichard and 2 seconds? He's a bit small, but good shooter......

Do we really need him though? Or the two seconds? We have plenty of backup PG material already, including George.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
red4hf
Jazz Forum GTS Champion 2019-2020
And1: 983

Post#442 » by red4hf » Tue Dec 26, 2023 12:06 am

Inigo Montoya wrote:
red4hf wrote:
https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/274081/Celtics-Are-Monitoring-Kelly-Olynyk

Do we really need him though? Or the two seconds? We have plenty of backup PG material already, including George.

Probably not..... Maybe flip him to a third team for something......
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,659

Post#443 » by 165bows » Tue Dec 26, 2023 3:21 am

red4hf wrote:

Celtics can cobble their end of bench guys together to make the salary necessary for Olynyk without Pritchard, who’s been a regular part of the notation. It would take a couple of other teams to make the roster spots work however. At this point I don’t think trading Pritchard for Olynyk works as it adds depth in one area while more significantly thinning another.

Celtics also have enough draft compensation imo to make it work. Big question for me is KO capable of playing at the same time as Horford or Porzingis at this point - ie, playing the four. Not sure about the answer to that question. Otherwise he’s probably as good as anyone else they could add to the rotation so a good piece to keep an eye on from the Boston side.

Big question for me from the Celtics perspective is does he still fit the rotation.
HadAnEffectHere
Sixth Man
And1: 873

Post#444 » by HadAnEffectHere » Tue Dec 26, 2023 10:11 pm

The goal is to trade Olynyk for 1-3 second round picks and the Celtics have some 2nd round picks.

I would imagine the Jazz's trade goals for each of their trade assets looks like

Lauri Markkanen: 1 quality young prospect and several good firsts
John Collins: An expiring contract or a PG on a similar bad contract
Collin Sexton: 4 second round picks (maaaaybe one first)
Kelly Olynyk: 2 second round picks
Jordan Clarkson: 1 first
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#445 » by Inigo Montoya » Wed Dec 27, 2023 11:18 am

HadAnEffectHere wrote:

The goal is to trade Olynyk for 1-3 second round picks and the Celtics have some 2nd round picks.

I would imagine the Jazz's trade goals for each of their trade assets looks like

I wouldn't move Olynyk for second round picks, or even a first, simply because we have plenty and we don't need more. He's valuable as a connective piece and a secondary (and sometimes even primary) playmaker and facilitator, which is something this team desperately needs. If all we can get for him is second round picks or a protected first I think it's more valuable to:

1. Keep him until the end of the season and get cap relief
2. Keep him and maybe sign him to a new contract--he's a good player to have on your roster
3. Trade him as a part of a larger deal for more significant assets or a star/quality player in a position of need.

It's not that I'm disputing Olynyk's trade value, it's just a situational thing where if that's all he brings back, given the Jazz are loaded with picks, he'd be more valuable in each of the aforementioned scenarios.

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
red4hf

Post#446 » by red4hf » Wed Dec 27, 2023 3:42 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:
HadAnEffectHere wrote:

I wouldn't move Olynyk for second round picks, or even a first, simply because we have plenty and we don't need more. He's valuable as a connective piece and a secondary (and sometimes even primary) playmaker and facilitator, which is something this team desperately needs. If all we can get for him is second round picks or a protected first I think it's more valuable to:

2. Keep him and maybe sign him to a new contract--he's a good player to have on your roster
3. Trade him as a part of a larger deal for more significant assets or a star/quality player in a position of need.

It's not that I'm disputing Olynyk's trade value, it's just a situational thing where if that's all he brings back, given the Jazz are loaded with picks, he'd be more valuable in each of the aforementioned scenarios.

Olynyk is the best fit with Markkanen and Kessler upfront if we're trying to win......
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#447 » by Inigo Montoya » Wed Dec 27, 2023 3:46 pm

red4hf wrote:Olynyk is the best fit with Markkanen and Kessler upfront if we're trying to win......

The problem with that front court is that our transition defense has been terrible with it last season, and it's a bit too heavy and can't really switch on the perimeter all that well. But the nice thing about Olynyk is that you can plug him anywhere. Even if we aren't trying to win, we need someone to pass the ball to Hendricks, Sensabaugh, George and Kessler.

mg
General Manager
And1: 4,071

Post#448 » by mg » Wed Dec 27, 2023 4:49 pm

I was pretty surprised to see the Jazz really don't have any 2nd round picks in the warchest although Ainge doesn't seem to value them anyway. Most of the SRP's got dealt during the Don/Rudy era.
bkohler
Rookie
And1: 461

Post#449 » by bkohler » Wed Dec 27, 2023 4:53 pm

mg wrote:I was pretty surprised to see the Jazz really don't have any 2nd round picks in the warchest although Ainge doesn't seem to value them anyway. Most of the SRP's got dealt during the Don/Rudy era.

I imagine this is the part of the war chest that gets restocked this trade deadline.
red4hf

Post#450 » by red4hf » Wed Dec 27, 2023 5:24 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:
red4hf wrote:Olynyk is the best fit with Markkanen and Kessler upfront if we're trying to win......

The problem with that front court is that our transition defense has been terrible with it last season, and it's a bit too heavy and can't really switch on the perimeter all that well. But the nice thing about Olynyk is that you can plug him anywhere. Even if we aren't trying to win, we need someone to pass the ball to Hendricks, Sensabaugh, George and Kessler.

All true, but my eye-test says we're much better offensively with that line-up......

Plus, so long as we don't play zone we could be OK with chasing perimeter shooters, so long as the other team doesn't put 4 guards against us......
AGE1207
Senior
And1: 136

Post#451 » by AGE1207 » Wed Dec 27, 2023 8:21 pm

Who are we interested in ??? That should be the real question going forward…

It’s always been about some other team interested in one or more of our players and than we see what we could eventually get in return…But if we want to build a really good team, we should be the ones taking the initiative…And I don’t hear or see any initiative from the Jazz front office in that sense.

“Boston is monitoring the situation around Olynyk?” Great, good for them but who are WE monitoring?
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#452 » by Inigo Montoya » Wed Dec 27, 2023 9:04 pm

Beggars can't be choosers and the Jazz are beggars. They'll go after anyone they can. As an example, they went after Lillard, Porzingis and Jrue.

My guess is they'll monitor the free agency and trade market with their eye on Dejounte Murray, Trae Young, OG Anunoby, Siakam, Zion (something will happen with the Pelicans), and others.

And while Ainge's front office has been known to leak, the Jazz have traditionally been tight lipped when it comes to trades so there's that. But I'll expect movement before the trade deadline and in free agency.

As for who the Jazz are interested in, Ainge had recently gone to see Cooper Flagg and Nikola Topic. It's not NBA players but it's something.

HadAnEffectHere
Sixth Man

Post#453 » by HadAnEffectHere » Wed Dec 27, 2023 10:35 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:
HadAnEffectHere wrote:

We have eight billion big men on the roster and Kelly Olynyk is 32.5 years old.

If Taylor Hendricks is worse than Kelly Olynyk next year, the team's future is just really bad.

If Olynyk is still somehow one of the better passers on the team, the team's future is just really bad.

Hopefully he's traded for two second round picks.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#454 » by Inigo Montoya » Thu Dec 28, 2023 10:17 am

HadAnEffectHere wrote:We have eight billion big men on the roster and Kelly Olynyk is 32.5 years old.

If Taylor Hendricks is worse than Kelly Olynyk next year, the team's future is just really bad.

If Olynyk is still somehow one of the better passers on the team, the team's future is just really bad.

We do have a surplus of bigs, but if you're bringing Olynyk off the bench, you're doing alright. Hendricks needs time to develop. He can be good but if our guards suck and no one can make a pass, then he's going to be wasted on the offensive end because he can't really create for himself and needs to be set up.

The Jazz do need to free up some space but 2 seconds do nothing for the team--you might as well just take the cap relief Olynyk's contract will provide when the season ends and use that cap space to find a PG who can pass and run a team. Or, package Olynyk in a bigger trade at the deadline or on draft night. I'd much prefer those options than getting two second round picks and salary back.

bkohler
Rookie

Post#455 » by bkohler » Thu Dec 28, 2023 7:13 pm

I think Kelly could fetch a Jae Crowder like return (4-5 seconds). He just fits in so well with so many teams.

I’ve wondered lately if we couldn’t be sellers AND buyers at the deadline. Move JC, Sexton, Kelly, Dunn for whatever we can and use those assets to make a play for someone like OG.
HadAnEffectHere
Sixth Man

Post#456 » by HadAnEffectHere » Thu Dec 28, 2023 10:28 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:
HadAnEffectHere wrote:We have eight billion big men on the roster and Kelly Olynyk is 32.5 years old.

We do have a surplus of bigs, but if you're bringing Olynyk off the bench, you're doing alright. Hendricks needs time to develop. He can be good but if our guards suck and no one can make a pass, then he's going to be wasted on the offensive end because he can't really create for himself and needs to be set up.

The Jazz do need to free up some space but 2 seconds do nothing for the team--you might as well just take the cap relief Olynyk's contract will provide when the season ends and use that cap space to find a PG who can pass and run a team. Or, package Olynyk in a bigger trade at the deadline or on draft night. I'd much prefer those options than getting two second round picks and salary back.

I'm actually very confused, what are you even talking about?

The hypothetical Celtics' thing was offering 4 guys on 1 year minimums (all of whom would be waived by the Jazz) and probably 1-2 second round picks. How is that not cap relief? What?
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#457 » by Inigo Montoya » Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:50 am

HadAnEffectHere wrote:I'm actually very confused, what are you even talking about?

The hypothetical Celtics' thing was offering 4 guys on 1 year minimums (all of whom would be waived by the Jazz) and probably 1-2 second round picks. How is that not cap relief? What?

Maybe I missed the offer with the actual names of the players other than Pritchard, but I haven't seen one. Haven't seen any detail on their contracts and how long are they, but it doesn't really matter. Even under your scenario, all we get is 2 second round picks (cap relief would be the same). That's hitting a single, which doesn't really do anything for the Jazz. 2nd round picks can be easily acquired if the need ever arises, it happens every year. Is it a bad return for Olynyk? Probably not. Does it help the Jazz in any way? Probably not. Which is why I'd rather either keep him for all the stuff he does bring (and was already discussed), or try and move him as a part of a bigger deal if one becomes available, either around the trade deadline or the draft. At worst, he expires and we get cap relief and we missed out on two 2nds, which is not a big deal.

bkohler
Rookie

Post#458 » by bkohler » Fri Dec 29, 2023 7:16 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:
HadAnEffectHere wrote:I'm actually very confused, what are you even talking about?

Maybe I missed the offer with the actual names of the players other than Pritchard, but I haven't seen one. Haven't seen any detail on their contracts and how long are they, but it doesn't really matter. Even under your scenario, all we get is 2 second round picks (cap relief would be the same). That's hitting a single, which doesn't really do anything for the Jazz. 2nd round picks can be easily acquired if the need ever arises, it happens every year. Is it a bad return for Olynyk? Probably not. Does it help the Jazz in any way? Probably not. Which is why I'd rather either keep him for all the stuff he does bring (and was already discussed), or try and move him as a part of a bigger deal if one becomes available, either around the trade deadline or the draft. At worst, he expires and we get cap relief and we missed out on two 2nds, which is not a big deal.

He expires so you can’t move him at the draft. Personally I think you move him and use the value you get back to offload Collins.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#459 » by Inigo Montoya » Fri Dec 29, 2023 7:28 pm

bkohler wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:

He expires so you can’t move him at the draft. Personally I think you move him and use the value you get back to offload Collins.

I might be wrong but I think the contract itself is still tradable on draft night and expires later.

EDIT-- just checked and yes, a player on an expiring contract can still be traded at the draft.

bkohler
Rookie

Post#460 » by bkohler » Fri Dec 29, 2023 7:54 pm

Edit: I’m unclear on this now, the few sites I’ve checked say you can’t deal an expiring contract after the trade deadline and before June 30th.

Players whose contracts will expire on June 30 can’t be traded prior to that date. Beginning in July, they can be moved in sign-and-trade deals, but those are rare. Once a 2019 free agent officially signs a new contract, he is ineligible to be traded until at least December 15, and perhaps even later than that if he meets certain criteria.

You can trade them on July 1st at that point it’s a sign and trade; which comes will all sort of issues - but you’re right it’s not impossible.

Return to Utah Jazz