2023 Trade Rumors

Moderators: Inigo Montoya, FJS

Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,471

Re: 2023 Trade Rumors 

Post#461 » by Inigo Montoya » Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:28 pm

bkohler wrote:Edit: I’m unclear on this now, the few sites I’ve checked say you can’t deal an expiring contract after the trade deadline and before June 30th.

Players whose contracts will expire on June 30 can’t be traded prior to that date. Beginning in July, they can be moved in sign-and-trade deals, but those are rare. Once a 2019 free agent officially signs a new contract, he is ineligible to be traded until at least December 15, and perhaps even later than that if he meets certain criteria.

You can trade them on July 1st at that point it’s a sign and trade; which comes will all sort of issues - but you’re right it’s not impossible.

This assumes the date of expiration is June 30th, which may not be the case. For all we know, the contract expires later. Olynyk, as an example, signed a 3-year deal on August 6, 2021, which would mean it probably expires on August 6, 2024. This would make him eligible to trade even on draft night without necessitating a sign and trade.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
bkohler
Rookie
And1: 461

Post#462 » by bkohler » Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:27 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:
bkohler wrote:Edit: I’m unclear on this now, the few sites I’ve checked say you can’t deal an expiring contract after the trade deadline and before June 30th.

Players whose contracts will expire on June 30 can’t be traded prior to that date. Beginning in July, they can be moved in sign-and-trade deals, but those are rare. Once a 2019 free agent officially signs a new contract, he is ineligible to be traded until at least December 15, and perhaps even later than that if he meets certain criteria.

You can trade them on July 1st at that point it’s a sign and trade; which comes will all sort of issues - but you’re right it’s not impossible.

This assumes the date of expiration is June 30th, which may not be the case. For all we know, the contract expires later. Olynyk, as an example, signed a 3-year deal on August 6, 2021, which would mean it probably expires on August 6, 2024. This would make him eligible to trade even on draft night without necessitating a sign and trade.

I’m almost certain that’s not how it works; NBA contracts expire at the end of each NBA salary cap years. You can’t have a contract that covers multiple salary cap years without covering the whole season.

From the CBA:
A Player Contract that covers more than one (1) Season must be for a consecutive period of Seasons.

A Team cannot trade any player after the NBA trade deadline occurring in the last Season of the player’s Contract, or after the NBA trade deadline occurring in any Season that could be the last Season of the player’s Contract based upon the exercise or non-exercise of an Option or Early Termination Option.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#463 » by Inigo Montoya » Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:56 pm

bkohler wrote:From the CBA:
A Player Contract that covers more than one (1) Season must be for a consecutive period of Seasons

Olynyk signed for 3 years so he satisfies this condition.

bkohler wrote:A Team cannot trade any player after the NBA trade deadline occurring in the last Season of the player’s Contract, or after the NBA trade deadline occurring in any Season that could be the last Season of the player’s Contract based upon the exercise or non-exercise of an Option or Early Termination Option.

Olynyk doesn't have/ didn't have an option or an early termination option as far as I know so I'm not sure this is relevant.

I do know that players' contracts don't end on the same date. But this is an intersting topic. Maybe we can try to remember past trades that occurred on draft day (or leading up to it) and if they involved players on expiring contracts. I'll try to think on some.

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
HadAnEffectHere
Sixth Man
And1: 872

Post#464 » by HadAnEffectHere » Sat Dec 30, 2023 12:07 am

There are none.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#465 » by Inigo Montoya » Sat Dec 30, 2023 12:26 pm

HadAnEffectHere wrote:There are none.

I'll leave this here for reference:
https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/transactions/trade-deadline

Either way, it changes nothing. The opportunity cost of missing out on two second round picks is so small that keeping Olynyk for a potential larger trade (whenever it might be) and for the basketball reasons that were already discussed easily trumps the value of two 2nds, especially when the Jazz already have control over more picks than any other team in the league other than OKC, and when simply acquiring second round picks is relatively easy and happens every year.

SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,028

Post#466 » by SoCalJazzFan » Sat Dec 30, 2023 11:05 pm

It appears that the OG pipe dream is over for the Jazz.

Read on Twitter
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#467 » by Inigo Montoya » Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:15 pm

The Knicks would still need to re-sign him but yep, he's probably off the market. He's going to be looking for a huge contract and I don't think I would like him as much when he'll be making 30M+ per season.

red4hf
Jazz Forum GTS Champion 2019-2020
And1: 983

Post#468 » by red4hf » Sun Dec 31, 2023 3:19 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:The Knicks would still need to re-sign him but yep, he's probably off the market. He's going to be looking for a huge contract and I don't think I would like him as much when he'll be making 30M+ per season.

If my calculations are correct, he's eligible for a contract staring at about $42 million........ I don't think he'll get that, but it'll be substantially more than $30.......
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#469 » by Inigo Montoya » Sun Dec 31, 2023 3:29 pm

red4hf wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:The Knicks would still need to re-sign him but yep, he's probably off the market. He's going to be looking for a huge contract and I don't think I would like him as much when he'll be making 30M+ per season.

If my calculations are correct, he's eligible for a contract staring at about $42 million........ I don't think he'll get that, but it'll be substantially more than $30.......

Yep. And that's why as much as I like him, I'd hesitate to either trade for him or get him as a free agent. He's good but at $30M and up the bloom is off the rose.

red4hf

Post#470 » by red4hf » Sun Dec 31, 2023 3:35 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:
red4hf wrote:

Yep. And that's why as much as I like him, I'd hesitate to either trade for him or get him as a free agent. He's good but at $30M and up the bloom is off the rose.

Completely agree.......

A max contract with 8% raises would be 5 years and $246 million.......
red4hf

Post#471 » by red4hf » Sun Dec 31, 2023 3:45 pm

If the Hawks pursue a teardown, I wonder what we could give them for Murray......
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#472 » by Inigo Montoya » Sun Dec 31, 2023 4:06 pm

red4hf wrote:If the Hawks pursue a teardown, I wonder what we could give them for Murray......

I'm out on Murray. I'd rather take on Trae Young with all his issues and flaws (although I admit I don't like his game all that much. His shot selection gives me headaches). I also wonder if Jalen Johnson could be had (probably not).

red4hf

Post#473 » by red4hf » Sun Dec 31, 2023 4:31 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:
red4hf wrote:If the Hawks pursue a teardown, I wonder what we could give them for Murray......

I'm out on Murray. I'd rather take on Trae Young with all his issues and flaws (although I admit I don't like his game all that much. His shot selection gives me headaches). I also wonder if Jalen Johnson could be had (probably not).

I don't think we have any chance on Young or Johnson..... Murray on the other hand, very reasonable deal and would work with Sexton.......
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#474 » by Inigo Montoya » Sun Dec 31, 2023 5:33 pm

red4hf wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:

I don't think we have any chance on Young or Johnson..... Murray on the other hand, very reasonable deal and would work with Sexton.......

True, but are we now considering Sexton to be a part of the future, and a starter? So far, Murray's defense, at lease with the Hawks, hasn't been as advertised.

red4hf

Post#475 » by red4hf » Sun Dec 31, 2023 5:43 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:
red4hf wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:I'm out on Murray. I'd rather take on Trae Young with all his issues and flaws (although I admit I don't like his game all that much. His shot selection gives me headaches). I also wonder if Jalen Johnson could be had (probably not).

True, but are we now considering Sexton to be a part of the future, and a starter? So far, Murray's defense, at lease with the Hawks, hasn't been as advertised.

Why not about Sexton? As far as Murray, I think there's something wrong with the whole Hawks squad, I don't think it's Murray, in the right scheme I think he'd work just fine.......
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#476 » by Inigo Montoya » Sun Dec 31, 2023 6:06 pm

red4hf wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:
red4hf wrote:

Why not about Sexton? As far as Murray, I think there's something wrong with the whole Hawks squad, I don't think it's Murray, in the right scheme I think he'd work just fine.......

I happen to be a fan of Sexton, probably his biggest supporter on the board, but the prevailing opinion is that he's either a 6th man, or a trade asset and not a part of the future. I agree that a Murray-Sexton back court could work but I have some misgivings about Murray--I'm not sure he's a great facilitator either. I won't hate it if we get him but I'd be a bit skeptical. As for the Hawks, doesn't look like Snyder is making a difference there.

SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach

Post#477 » by SoCalJazzFan » Sun Dec 31, 2023 6:11 pm

The Murray of the Spurs interests me, the Murray of the Hawks, not so much.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#478 » by Inigo Montoya » Sun Dec 31, 2023 6:30 pm

I finally found some of the posts made by Spurs fans about Murray that helped shape my thinking about him, as I'm deferring to their knowledge on the subject as Spurs fans who watched him for years:

Phreak50 wrote:Name one thing he does great, or even very good?

He isn't quick, his jumper is extremely inconsistent (especially anything outside of midrange), he isn't a great playmaker and you can leave him open because he is about a bad three point shooter as Marcus Smart.

He has quick hands and if you allow him to gamble lanes he will get steals. But he isn't a good one on one defender.

If he ever accepts he would be the 3rd or 4th best player in a winning lineup, he could find a perfect role.

But in no way is he an 18 shot a game (5 of them from 3) point guard.

viewtopic.php?p=107118318#p107118318

Chinook wrote:I can't speak too much on Murray with the Hawks, but if he's like he was as a Spur, no he's not a good defender. He was a guy who makes highlight defensive plays without actually stopping anybody. The media made the mistake of crediting DJM for the Spurs' defense in 2017-2018, and that basically ruined him on that end for the rest of his Spurs career. The reality is that he needed to be hidden or at least protected on defense -- the team needed to have guys solid enough to allow Murray to gamble. That 2018 squad had LMA play his best defense of his career, Danny Green in his prime and Kyle Anderson. Those guys where huge parts of why the defense worked that year, and Murray was the main beneficiary.

If the question is how good Murray is, it's actually pretty good. I am not sure if he's top 50 or top 70, but he's one of the better guys in the league. But if the question is how important is he to have on your team, his attitude and refusal to take a step back hurt him there. As tempting as it might be to some to imagine the Spurs getting Wemby while somehow having kept DeJounte, to me that sounds horrible. He'd be trying to pull rank, sending out passive-aggressive IG messages, sulking if Pop tried to pull rank, trying to "get his" on the court. If DeJounte ever "gets over himself", I'd love to have him on a team. But I think he'll probably have that Stephen Jackson chip on his shoulder forever, and Jack was a rare player who out-performed expectations constantly while also constantly under-performing his talent due to his attitude.

viewtopic.php?p=107132322#p107132322

D Rog
Junior
And1: 84

Post#479 » by D Rog » Sun Dec 31, 2023 6:38 pm

I am in on Murray - Just like John Collins, it depends on the cost.

Clarkson and a pick?
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach

Post#480 » by SoCalJazzFan » Tue Jan 2, 2024 9:04 pm

If Dejounte Murray is a target, this could be a possible trade scenario, based on rumors on the internet.

UTA
out- Clarkson (or Sexton) and a FRP
In- Murray

POR
out- Jerami Grant
in- Fournier, A Griffen, UTA and NYK picks

ATL
out- Murray
in- Grant

NYK
out- Fournier, picks
in- Clarkson/Sexton

Would have to be done after 1/15.

Could Murray be an impact player that makes things work? He looked really good his last year with the Spurs as a PG, but hasn't been so shiny with the Hawks, although he has had to play, perhaps out of position, alongside Trae Young.

It would also signal that KG is going to be brought along more slowly, or we don't expect him to be the caliber of PG that DM is.

Return to Utah Jazz