WOJ: Collins to Utah

Moderators: Inigo Montoya, FJS

Blazinaway
General Manager
And1: 1,414

Re: WOJ: Collins to Utah 

Post#81 » by Blazinaway » Thu Jun 29, 2023 5:18 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:
Blazinaway wrote:Blazer fan coming in peace, was curious if you guys would consider a Collins for Ant Simons trade? Not sure what your needs are at guard

I'd do it. It fills our need at SG for the next few years with a young player who is still improving, clears some of the glut we have at PF, gives more time for Hendricks to develop, and already gets us off Collins' contract before we even began to reclaim his value. It's a yes for me.

Likely depends on whether we keep Lillard or not, if we do we have no need for Simons with Scoot drafted and Shaedon. We have a big need at PF, especially one that can rebound and shoot decently which Collins can. Thanks for the feedback
zero24gravity
Sixth Man
And1: 842

Post#82 » by zero24gravity » Thu Jun 29, 2023 5:46 pm

Blazinaway wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:
Blazinaway wrote:Blazer fan coming in peace, was curious if you guys would consider a Collins for Ant Simons trade? Not sure what your needs are at guard

I'd do it. It fills our need at SG for the next few years with a young player who is still improving, clears some of the glut we have at PF, gives more time for Hendricks to develop, and already gets us off Collins' contract before we even began to reclaim his value. It's a yes for me.

Likely depends on whether we keep Lillard or not, if we do we have no need for Simons with Scoot drafted and Shaedon. We have a big need at PF, especially one that can rebound and shoot decently which Collins can. Thanks for the feedback

Collins and a couple 1st round picks for Scoot? Ok, I'm in. :D :wink:
Dr Salad Bowl
Junior
And1: 51

Post#83 » by Dr Salad Bowl » Fri Jun 30, 2023 12:31 am

If his finger is mended then this is a great cheap pickup regardless of the logjam at F.

I don't think his talent just vanished. Plus the Hawks have had a pretty weird roster the past couple of years - too much starter level talent for the ball to go around, AND 2 dominant ball handling guards.

Hoping it's a Lauri-style resurrection!
Rauxcee
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,140

Post#84 » by Rauxcee » Fri Jun 30, 2023 12:47 am

AingesBurner wrote:You are being realistic when the Millers owned the team… this is new territory we are in! We actually traded guys before their contracts were about to expire!! Utah has never had a GM like Ainge, a real ruthless molla ****. Utah has never had the most assets in the league, we have never followed this blue print before. We are getting a star in a trade and 99% certain it will be a white Euro dude.

Oh you sweet summer child, Luka will not have Utah on his trade demand list. Cuban won't trade Luka until the last year or two of his contract either.

I appreciate your optimism and hope though. Someone should be hopeful for the rest of us.
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,757

Post#85 » by AingesBurner » Fri Jun 30, 2023 1:00 am

Rauxcee wrote:
AingesBurner wrote:You are being realistic when the Millers owned the team… this is new territory we are in! We actually traded guys before their contracts were about to expire!! Utah has never had a GM like Ainge, a real ruthless molla ****. Utah has never had the most assets in the league, we have never followed this blue print before. We are getting a star in a trade and 99% certain it will be a white Euro dude.

Oh you sweet summer child, Luka will not have Utah on his trade demand list. Cuban won't trade Luka until the last year or two of his contract either.

I appreciate your optimism and hope though. Someone should be hopeful for the rest of us.

Book of Ainge condemns you.
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 12,004

Post#86 » by jayu70 » Sat Jul 8, 2023 1:57 am

This Hawks fan will miss JC. A class act.
Read on Twitter
?s=20
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,757

Post#87 » by AingesBurner » Sat Jul 8, 2023 3:48 am

jayu70 wrote:This Hawks fan will miss JC. A class act.
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Utahans are excited to have a fellow Utahan playing for the Jazz.
TNJazz
Rookie
And1: 432

Post#88 » by TNJazz » Sat Jul 8, 2023 12:28 pm

jayu70 wrote:This Hawks fan will miss JC. A class act.
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Glad to have him as part of this team. He seems to be a terrific fit and is already starting to show his leadership and support by being at the Jazz Summer League as an active team mate pulling aside the younger players and talking to them about how to improve. Excited to see how this fresh start will re-energize his already impactful game.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,677

Post#89 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Sep 19, 2023 5:18 pm

You guys are getting a good one. And with strong ties to the area, I could see him being a Jazz lifer if all goes well.

Read on Twitter
Hoops Addict
Sixth Man
And1: 167

Post#90 » by Hoops Addict » Sat Oct 7, 2023 1:41 am

I think most coaches wouldn’t be. None of those guys can reliably defend small forwards IMO.[/quote]

Hendricks can guard small forwardseasily. He can get up in their face, because it is hard to drive to the rim on him.

Hendricks is going to be a defensive star.
Hoops Addict
Sixth Man
And1: 167

Post#91 » by Hoops Addict » Sat Oct 7, 2023 1:49 am

HadAnEffectHere wrote:
AingesBurner wrote:
HadAnEffectHere wrote:c
Keyonte George and Sensabaugh have extremely minimal value as they were picked 16th and 28th. S .

Terrible analysis. George has an awesome hesitation move .........he can completely stop, then accelerate.........he is a great prospect and future starter. If he can play PG, the future is good.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,471

Post#92 » by Inigo Montoya » Sat Oct 7, 2023 9:53 am

Hoops Addict wrote:I think most coaches wouldn’t be. None of those guys can reliably defend small forwards IMO.

Hendricks can guard small forwardseasily. He can get up in their face, because it is hard to drive to the rim on him.

Hendricks is going to be a defensive star.[/quote]
Hendricks should be able to defend forwards but he's currently buried in the depth charts behind good players, and the Collins trade just made it more difficult to find him some playing time. I'm sure that in time the Jazz will clear some minutes for him but that could be seasons down the line.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
TNJazz
Rookie
And1: 432

Post#93 » by TNJazz » Fri Oct 13, 2023 12:43 pm

A bit on Collins from Hardy: https://www.deseret.com/2023/10/12/23914316/utah-jazz-john-collins-easing-way-into-new-system-will-hardy

Hardy had a sit down talk with him to help insure support and said:
“His input is valuable,” Hardy said. “And it’s for John to understand too that we want to help him but we’re also not going to make our team and the game about him. It’s a work in progress. Today was a big step in the right direction. We were able to — after the conversation he and I had and after our staff meeting and watching the film — sort of iron some things out. I think we refined a few things today.”
Crunch 99
General Manager
And1: 3,713

Post#94 » by Crunch 99 » Fri Oct 13, 2023 2:10 pm

TNJazz wrote:A bit on Collins from Hardy: https://www.deseret.com/2023/10/12/23914316/utah-jazz-john-collins-easing-way-into-new-system-will-hardy

Hardy had a sit down talk with him to help insure support and said:
“His input is valuable,” Hardy said. “And it’s for John to understand too that we want to help him but we’re also not going to make our team and the game about him. It’s a work in progress. Today was a big step in the right direction. We were able to — after the conversation he and I had and after our staff meeting and watching the film — sort of iron some things out. I think we refined a few things today.”

I am glad that Hardy is proactive and already had a sitdown with Collins. I am worried that the Collins situation will go south in a hurry if the coaches don't stay on top of it. Reading between the lines from Collins' comments after the trade, it seems like Collins was very excited to leave Atlanta's ball dominant guards and a situation where he believed he was underutilized. After a couple of pre-season games, I would understand if Collins was starting to get the same feeling here.

Also going off a couple of pre-season games (lol at the tiny sample), I suspect it will take a very long time before Collins becomes a bigger asset to the starting lineup than Kelly Olynyk was. While Olynyk is not an outstanding defender or rebounder, he is a very unselfish, savvy player who does a lot of little things to help the offense click.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#95 » by Jamaaliver » Sat Oct 28, 2023 5:55 pm

Love this dude:

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#96 » by Jamaaliver » Sat Oct 28, 2023 5:56 pm

Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,326

Post#97 » by Catchall » Sat Oct 28, 2023 6:52 pm

He plays defense. He rebounds. He can score a bit. He gives the Jazz some extra physical presence.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#98 » by Jamaaliver » Sat Dec 9, 2023 8:58 pm

Sooner than later, John and Trae are going to realize that they were perfect complements for each other on the offensive end.

No player on our roster then or now can catch a lob and finish as strongly as John Collins. And no player on Utah (yet) can consistently make those high level passes in stride for easy dunks and finishes like Trae.

Man, I miss this kid.

Read on Twitter
mg
General Manager
And1: 4,069

Post#99 » by mg » Sat Dec 9, 2023 10:48 pm

^If you look at on/off stats John Collins rates near the very bottom of the league at #392 out of 402 players. The only guys worse than him play for teams such as the Pistons, Spurs, and Wizards. Hint: Jordan Poole is the very worst in the league when it comes to on/off. In fairness Clarkson and Keyonte George don't rate much higher than Collins as the entire starting lineup has been really bad this season. Alot of the issue is fit. Collins has been putting up some solid boxscore/rebounding numbers except for his +/- which is typically negative.

I do think Collins would be a fit on a few teams but needs to be playing alongside a stretch 5 and also should be playing with a really good PG who can feed him in his spots. Unfortunately the Jazz don't really have either of those types on their roster right now.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,456

Post#100 » by babyjax13 » Sun Dec 10, 2023 2:08 am

Jamaaliver wrote:Sooner than later, John and Trae are going to realize that they were perfect complements for each other on the offensive end.

No player on our roster then or now can catch a lob and finish as strongly as John Collins. And no player on Utah (yet) can consistently make those high level passes in stride for easy dunks and finishes like Trae.

Man, I miss this kid.

Read on Twitter

Honestly he's just nothing special. You can find another lob threat. Glad some Atlanta fans appreciate him. Seems like a good guy and isn't a nonfactor as a player, but he doesn't fit here and I can't wait until I don't have to see him, Sexton, THT, or Olynyk in a Jazz jersey.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl

Return to Utah Jazz