Utaz Jazz acquire Lauri Markkanen from Cleveland Cavaliers

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,471

Re: Utaz Jazz acquire Lauri Markkanen from Cleveland Cavaliers 

Post#201 » by Inigo Montoya » Thu Jan 5, 2023 3:04 pm

I heard Locke addressing a similar question and he remarked that Gay has the best +/- rating on the team. Sure enough, somehow Gay has the best +/- on the team with 4.4. The next player is Markkanen with 3.0.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
Jiipee84
Pro Prospect
And1: 237

Post#202 » by Jiipee84 » Sat Jan 7, 2023 3:02 am

Jiipee84
Pro Prospect

Post#203 » by Jiipee84 » Thu Jan 12, 2023 1:37 am

https://www.mtvuutiset.fi/artikkeli/lauri-markkanen-ylivoimainen-suosikki-arvostetun-nba-palkinnon-saajaksi-mielestani-han-on-varma-valinta/8609568#gs.mdnvnf
Lauri is number 1 favorite to win MIP award.
But Shai Gilgeous Alexander is not out of that competition.

Read on Twitter

Crunch 99
General Manager
And1: 3,700

Post#204 » by Crunch 99 » Sat Jan 14, 2023 2:11 pm

Markannen has been getting more usage lately: 27.7% USG% over last ten games versus 23.3% USG% his first 32 games. He has responded with 30.5 ppg on 65% TS% with 10.3 rebs/g and 9.3 FTM out of 10.1 FTA/g over the last ten games. He is looking more and more like a legitimate number one player to build around for a contender.
ForeverRDjazz
Starter
And1: 549

Post#205 » by ForeverRDjazz » Sat Jan 14, 2023 2:25 pm

Hoops Addict wrote:Markk is awesome....I believe he is the 2nd best white boy in the NBA after Luka Donkic. Change my mind.
Change your mind? How about the Joker? :lol:
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,754

Post#206 » by AingesBurner » Sat Jan 14, 2023 5:28 pm

Crunch 99 wrote:Markannen has been getting more usage lately: 27.7% USG% over last ten games versus 23.3% USG% his first 32 games. He has responded with 30.5 ppg on 65% TS% with 10.3 rebs/g and 9.3 FTM out of 10.1 FTA/g over the last ten games. He is looking more and more like a legitimate number one player to build around for a contender.

Very well could be a 1A or 1B, and even if he’s a 1B, those are hard to find.
Ingles is cooked.
FranchisePlayer
Sixth Man
And1: 598

Post#207 » by FranchisePlayer » Sat Jan 14, 2023 6:13 pm

Crunch 99 wrote:Markannen has been getting more usage lately: 27.7% USG% over last ten games versus 23.3% USG% his first 32 games. He has responded with 30.5 ppg on 65% TS% with 10.3 rebs/g and 9.3 FTM out of 10.1 FTA/g over the last ten games. He is looking more and more like a legitimate number one player to build around for a contender.

Some very wise words, man!
MrSparkle wrote:I don't see a scenario here or there where Lauri becomes the "7-pick we thought he could be." If you remove his 3P ability, he's worse than Felicio by a mile.

12/2/2022
I like the quote- it makes me chuckle. And it was/is pretty much true.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#208 » by Inigo Montoya » Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:03 pm

A really nice video breakdown of Markkanen's game.

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
dautjazz
RealGM
And1: 9,576

Post#209 » by dautjazz » Fri Feb 3, 2023 3:10 am

Jazz acquired All-Star Lauri, Sexton, Agbaji, three FRPs, and a swap for Mitchell. Mitchell is only averaging 2.2ppg more than Lauri, on far worse efficiency, and he's a far worse defender. Mitchell is a better playmaker, but Lauri is the far better rebounder. Advanced metrics actually favor Lauri, so I can no longer say Mitchell is having a better season. This trade is straight highway robbery.
NickAnderson wrote:
How old are you, just curious.

by gomeziee on 21 Jul 2013 00:53

im 20, and i did grow up watching MJ play in the 90's.
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,754

Post#210 » by AingesBurner » Fri Feb 3, 2023 4:24 am

dautjazz wrote:Jazz acquired All-Star Lauri, Sexton, Agbaji, three FRPs, and a swap for Mitchell. Mitchell is only averaging 2.2ppg more than Lauri, on far worse efficiency, and he's a far worse defender. Mitchell is a better playmaker, but Lauri is the far better rebounder. Advanced metrics actually favor Lauri, so I can no longer say Mitchell is having a better season. This trade is straight highway robbery.

I thought it was two swaps?
Ingles is cooked.
dautjazz
RealGM
And1: 9,576

Post#211 » by dautjazz » Mon Feb 6, 2023 2:26 am

AingesBurner wrote:
dautjazz wrote:Jazz acquired All-Star Lauri, Sexton, Agbaji, three FRPs, and a swap for Mitchell. Mitchell is only averaging 2.2ppg more than Lauri, on far worse efficiency, and he's a far worse defender. Mitchell is a better playmaker, but Lauri is the far better rebounder. Advanced metrics actually favor Lauri, so I can no longer say Mitchell is having a better season. This trade is straight highway robbery.

I thought it was two swaps?
You're right. I probably got mixed up with the Gobert deal.

Mitchell's struggles continue, he's down to 26.9ppg, just a 2ppg gap. Lauri IMO has surpassed Mitchell. Even Mitchell's assists are down, from over 6 at the start of the season to 4.8.
NickAnderson wrote:
How old are you, just curious.

by gomeziee on 21 Jul 2013 00:53

im 20, and i did grow up watching MJ play in the 90's.
zero24gravity
Sixth Man
And1: 842

Post#212 » by zero24gravity » Fri Feb 10, 2023 6:36 pm

Lauri was announced as an All Star STARTER today, due to injury. (Along with Embiid & Morant.)

Replacing Durant, Curry, Zion on the team are Edwards, Fox & Siakam.

Lauri as a starter may be a bit of home-court-love, but there's no denying he's a worthy All Star. :)
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#213 » by Inigo Montoya » Fri Feb 10, 2023 7:33 pm

zero24gravity wrote:Lauri was announced as an All Star STARTER today, due to injury. (Along with Embiid & Morant.)

Replacing Durant, Curry, Zion on the team are Edwards, Fox & Siakam.

Lauri as a starter may be a bit of home-court-love, but there's no denying he's a worthy All Star. :)

That's an awesome achievement, even with the injuries to other players. Mitchell and Gobert were never starters and injuries happen every season. Congrats Lauri!

PaKii94
RealGM
And1: 6,554

Post#214 » by PaKii94 » Fri Feb 10, 2023 7:42 pm

I want to see Lauri take the next step and carry the team. My fantasy scenario is Lauri finally takes over as a legitimate #1 and doesn't let them tank
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#215 » by Inigo Montoya » Fri Feb 10, 2023 7:55 pm

PaKii94 wrote:I want to see Lauri take the next step and carry the team. My fantasy scenario is Lauri finally takes over as a legitimate #1 and doesn't let them tank

I would love to see it too. Next season.

Don't mess with the tank.

SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,028

Post#216 » by SoCalJazzFan » Fri Feb 10, 2023 8:59 pm

I question whether Markk will ever be able to be a shot creator, so I think we either need a Batman or a really good distributor with several Robins, including Markk.
Jiipee84
Pro Prospect

Post#217 » by Jiipee84 » Fri Feb 10, 2023 11:06 pm

SoCalJazzFan wrote:I question whether Markk will ever be able to be a shot creator, so I think we either need a Batman or a really good distributor with several Robins, including Markk.

After getting rid of Mike Conley and without having even passable PG ( Sexton is not PG and neither is Clarkson )
to replace Conley staying to current losing Utah Jazz for 2 remaing years is basically career suicide for Lauri.

Jazz has made very clear that winning and playoffs aren't priority for at least 3-5 years
so why Lauri should stay after this season.

That current contract what Lauri has now is easy to trade for future assets.
Lauri will not make all NBA teams or future allstar games on losing Utah Jazz team.
Not to mention that his chances to win even MIP award this season have got hit after Conley's trade.
Anthony Edwards, De-Aaron Fox and Shai Gilgeous Alexander are also allstars now and eveyone has career year going on.

That will mean Lauri is not automatically number 1 favorite anymore to MIP award.
If team success and teams regular season record turns more important priority to MIP award than personal stats
i can see MIP award going to Fox or Edwards Sacramento Kings is TOP6 team in western conference
so Fox is challenging Lauri and SGA in MIP award competition.

Edwards isn't also out and if / when even Minnesota makes to playoff
then candidates to MIP award are Fox, Edwards, Lauri and SGA.

It wasn't Utah Jazz who made Lauri on allstar it was Lauri himself
Jazz only pays Lauri's salary but personally Lauri hasn't nothing to owe for Utah Jazz or Will Hardy or Danny Ainge.

Lauri is now allstar so his value in trade market is high and there are for sure some teams
who might even trade for Lauri if he comes available this off season or some draft night trade.
Lauri is not 22 yrs old he's in few months 26 yrs old and coming to his prime years.

There's no sense to stay in Utah in this situation
Lauri's career goals ( playoffs and NBA championship title ) DO NOT FIT Jazz plans anymore.
Jazz is now tanking team which-ones team goals are 5-7 years away so why Lauri should stay.

Jazz isn't this situation TOP10 or evenTOP15 landing spot for star / allstar level UFA free-agents.
Only free agents what Jazz might get are guys like Garret Temple, Simone Fontecchio, Coby White, etc guys
who aren't even close NBA allstar level.

Rebuilding trough of NBA draft is not easy task and takes time several years.
These are brutal facts of Jazz current situation.

Hopefully Lauri and his agent and inner circle takes serious evaluation after this season
which will lead trading Lauri Markkanen to playofff or championship contending team.

Lauri has already seen losing and tanking in Chicago so why he should see that also in Utah.
There's no sense Jazz are holding Lauri away of his career goals so it is time to say goodbye for The Finnisher
before summer 2025 because summer 2025 Lauri will walk out for free and that's really likely in this situation where Jazz are now.
zero24gravity
Sixth Man
And1: 842

Post#218 » by zero24gravity » Tue Feb 14, 2023 5:02 pm

Add this to the the list of Lauri's accomplishments .... 3 point contest contestant.

https://www.si.com/nba/hornets/news/who-is-in-the-nbas-2023-three-point-shooting-contest
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#219 » by Inigo Montoya » Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:40 am

zero24gravity wrote:Add this to the the list of Lauri's accomplishments .... 3 point contest contestant.

https://www.si.com/nba/hornets/news/who-is-in-the-nbas-2023-three-point-shooting-contest

He's been having a big slump from 3 in the 6 games or so. Hope he can break out of it soon.

Jiipee84
Pro Prospect

Post#220 » by Jiipee84 » Fri Feb 24, 2023 7:05 pm

Return to Utah Jazz