Walker
33%

Total votes: 15

Rishkar
Junior
And1: 329

Lauri or Walker 

Post#1 » by Rishkar » Tue Oct 10, 2023 3:49 pm

In a hypothetical scenario where the Jazz had to let one of these players leave (like in an expansion draft or a trade where the other team doesn't have a preference on which of these players they get) who would you rather keep? Lauri is an allstar player, but he's also older and this previous season could be a bit of an outlier given his history (especially considering injuries).
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,471

Re: Lauri or Walker 

Post#2 » by Inigo Montoya » Tue Oct 10, 2023 4:33 pm

It's a very tough choice but I'd probably move Markkanen because:

1. He's 'older' and may not have the stomach for losing much longer
2. He's had injury issues
3. He's about to get a very big contract while Kessler will be cheaper for longer
4. He'd be a sell-high player that will yield the most return

Having said that, I'd absolutely hate to trade him and would imagine the Jazz would build around him rather than trade him. He's the better player of the two too.

Just as a side note--even in an expansion draft there is no way the Jazz wouldn't protect both Kessler and Markkanen.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
vryadli
Rookie
And1: 358

Post#3 » by vryadli » Tue Oct 10, 2023 5:46 pm

Here is a big difference between "value" and "who to move". I voted according second. Lauri has quite a bit more of value given his 3p ability. But the price he will commands even more high. So, in the "only one has to stay" Walker that is.
FJS
Senior Mod - Jazz
Senior Mod - Jazz
And1: 2,071

Post#4 » by FJS » Tue Oct 10, 2023 6:05 pm

Who do you love more, daddy or mommy.
I don't want to answer.
FranchisePlayer
Sixth Man
And1: 598

Post#5 » by FranchisePlayer » Fri Nov 3, 2023 6:32 pm

Who is more valuable, Lauri 5, Walker 4. Gheesh... :o
MrSparkle wrote:I don't see a scenario here or there where Lauri becomes the "7-pick we thought he could be." If you remove his 3P ability, he's worse than Felicio by a mile.

12/2/2022
I like the quote- it makes me chuckle. And it was/is pretty much true.
Cappy_Smurf
Head Coach
And1: 9,631

Post#6 » by Cappy_Smurf » Sat Nov 4, 2023 6:13 pm

If you're going nuclear, you keep the guy on his 2nd year of his rookie contract. However, if you were going to go that route, it should have been done last year with Wemby in play. Doing so now would show lack of direction. I expect Utah to hold on to Lauri as long as he wants to remain in Utah. They need to find All star level players who aren't counting the minutes until they can leave, and they can't afford to trade one away based on some cookie cutter idea of how to run a team.
Dwayne "smells like" Bacon, A.K.A. The Policeman.

Dude needs to wear #50, that way when he's on the fast break, everybody can yell "Here comes five-oh!"
Jiipee84
Pro Prospect
And1: 237

Post#7 » by Jiipee84 » Thu Nov 9, 2023 3:24 am

Extremely tough question but i say Kessler.
Lauri is allstar and his goal now is to win NBA championship rings
so let him go as a UFA or trade him to team where he can achieve his goals and win.
Lauri's had enough losing in his career for now so it is time to start win and Utah is not the team where that could be possible.

Return to Utah Jazz