Hot take alert: It's time to finish the rebuild

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,471

Re: Hot take alert: It's time to finish the rebuild 

Post#21 » by Inigo Montoya » Mon Oct 30, 2023 11:20 am

bkohler wrote:Also, I agree that our roster isn’t super old… but player in our rotation skew older.

The data doesn't support this view:

The oldest player who is a starter is 31 year old Clarkson with 28.7 minutes per game so far, which is down from 32.6 minutes per game he averaged last season.

The next oldest player is 32 year old Olynyk who comes off the bench and plays 19.7MPG, down from 28.6MPG last season.

Then we have 29 year old Dunn who comes off the bench and plays 18MPG, down from 25.8MPG last season.

Next oldest is Fontecchio who is 28 years old and gets 10.5MPG, down from 14.7MPG last season.

Virtually all of our oldest players are playing significantly less minutes so far, and our rotation is very young.

Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
bkohler
Rookie
And1: 461

Post#22 » by bkohler » Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:16 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:
bkohler wrote:Also, I agree that our roster isn’t super old… but player in our rotation skew older.

The oldest player who is a starter is 31 year old Clarkson with 28.7 minutes per game so far, which is down from 32.6 minutes per game he averaged last season.

The next oldest player is 32 year old Olynyk who comes off the bench and plays 19.7MPG, down from 28.6MPG last season.

Then we have 29 year old Dunn who comes off the bench and plays 18MPG, down from 25.8MPG last season.

Next oldest is Fontecchio who is 28 years old and gets 10.5MPG, down from 14.7MPG last season.

Virtually all of our oldest players are playing significantly less minutes so far, and our rotation is very young.

I'm not sure the data supports the view that we're 'young' either.

Right now the average age of our top 10 rotation players is 26.7, same as the Nuggets, just under the Kings, Wolves, Mavs and Lakers :o

If you look at only 8 man rotations things look a little better, averaging 25.62 years (because we drop Dunn) but we're still next to the Knicks, Hawks, Pacers and Wizards. If you look at the starting 5 we're the same as Cavs. Basically we're very average age-wise. So not old... but not young either, although I wonder what this looks like with Keyonte hopefully playing more but that is probably at the expense of THT who is a young-in himself.
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,317

Post#23 » by Catchall » Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:55 pm

bkohler wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:

I'm not sure the data supports the view that we're 'young' either.

Right now the average age of our top 10 rotation players is 26.7, same as the Nuggets, just under the Kings, Wolves, Mavs and Lakers :o

If you look at only 8 man rotations things look a little better, averaging 25.62 years (because we drop Dunn) but we're still next to the Knicks, Hawks, Pacers and Wizards. If you look at the starting 5 we're the same as Cavs. Basically we're very average age-wise. So not old... but not young either, although I wonder what this looks like with Keyonte hopefully playing more but that is probably at the expense of THT who is a young-in himself.

We have 1st and 2nd-year players: Keyonte, Agbaji, Sensabaugh, Hendricks, Kessler
We have a few young vets: Lauri, Collins, Sexton
Then we have a couple additional vets, like Clarkson and Olynyk, who are likely to be traded by this offseason.

Jazz are really a pretty young team with just enough veteran presence to hold the rotation together and not look like total fools.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh

Return to Utah Jazz