Game 36: Utah Jazz (16-19) @ Boston Celtics (26-7)

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

Crunch 99
General Manager
And1: 3,700

Re: Game 36: Utah Jazz (16-19) @ Boston Celtics (26-7) 

Post#21 » by Crunch 99 » Sat Jan 6, 2024 2:58 pm

For the last four games, the Jazz started a front line of Collins, Markkanen and Font, with Collins playing center. That starting three helped produce an early defecit in three of the four games, and Collins was the first one to sub out. Maybe this starting front line will start better over time, and I haven't checked these three players other stints playing together during games, but it does seem like Kessler should be starting.

Collins first stint v Boston: 3:38 mins, -10 plus minus
Collins first stint v Detroit: 3:37 mins, -5 plus minus
Collins first stint v Dallas: 4:12 mins, 0 plus minus
Collins first stint v Miami: 4:13 mins, -3 plus minus

The Jazz won three of the above four games, notwithstanding some slow starts.
red4hf
Jazz Forum GTS Champion 2019-2020
And1: 983

Post#22 » by red4hf » Sat Jan 6, 2024 4:09 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:
red4hf wrote:This is perfectly fine, in theory...... I'm just not so sure that's actually what is happening......

What do you think is actually happening?

I'm not saying there's some grand conspiracy, I think the Jazz don't even know what they're doing...... I'm just saying it's time to consider that Ainge isn't some genius, master-trader, and that Hardy, mostly, got lucky last season...... And that we're, unfortunately, a not very good team, although, obviously not a terrible one either, and for some time, we're just stuck where we are...... We're not landing a star with our picks, and we're wasting playing time on Olynyk and Collis instead of developing our players.......

I hope I'm wrong......
Cappy_Smurf
Head Coach
And1: 9,631

Post#23 » by Cappy_Smurf » Sat Jan 6, 2024 8:55 pm

red4hf wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:
red4hf wrote:I didn't expect much, but come on...... Am I the only one who's over Hardy, btw?

Hardy is fine. We've made a roster that doesn't fit together because every deal is about asset accumulation rather than fit. They are trying to find guys who can play better than they have and flip some later. Lauri hit, Sexton is doing well (but has no trade value because he is a 6-2 scoring guard who can't play defense), Collins is a dud, THT is a dud, Olynyk is the one guy we added who makes things kind of work together. I really think Ainge has done a poor job after the Mitchell/Gobert trades.

If you're a coach and you can't tell who should be playing most minutes on this team, you shouldn't be coaching......

If you can't tell the GM you're going to play the guys who deserve the minutes, you shouldn't be coaching......

So a coach should be coaching according to his own agenda and should ignore the bigger picture of what the GM is trying to do? You are watching with the idea that we should be focused on winning each game, while the FO is more focused on where the team is going in the future. Utah may have a chance to offload Collins at the trade deadline to a playoff team trying to find a stopgap for an injured player. We are not at a place where we can ignore where the team is going in favor of winning the game in front of us.
Dwayne "smells like" Bacon, A.K.A. The Policeman.

Dude needs to wear #50, that way when he's on the fast break, everybody can yell "Here comes five-oh!"
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,471

Post#24 » by Inigo Montoya » Sat Jan 6, 2024 10:31 pm

Cappy_Smurf wrote:So a coach should be coaching according to his own agenda and should ignore the bigger picture of what the GM is trying to do? You are watching with the idea that we should be focused on winning each game, while the FO is more focused on where the team is going in the future. Utah may have a chance to offload Collins at the trade deadline to a playoff team trying to find a stopgap for an injured player. We are not at a place where we can ignore where the team is going in favor of winning the game in front of us.

If I didn't know any better, I'd say that it almost sounds like you support tanking... 8-)
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
red4hf

Post#25 » by red4hf » Sat Jan 6, 2024 11:06 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:
Cappy_Smurf wrote:So a coach should be coaching according to his own agenda and should ignore the bigger picture of what the GM is trying to do? You are watching with the idea that we should be focused on winning each game, while the FO is more focused on where the team is going in the future. Utah may have a chance to offload Collins at the trade deadline to a playoff team trying to find a stopgap for an injured player. We are not at a place where we can ignore where the team is going in favor of winning the game in front of us.

If I didn't know any better, I'd say that it almost sounds like you support tanking... 8-)

Lol. Not this year with that terrible draft......
red4hf

Post#26 » by red4hf » Sat Jan 6, 2024 11:09 pm

Cappy_Smurf wrote:
red4hf wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:Hardy is fine. We've made a roster that doesn't fit together because every deal is about asset accumulation rather than fit. They are trying to find guys who can play better than they have and flip some later. Lauri hit, Sexton is doing well (but has no trade value because he is a 6-2 scoring guard who can't play defense), Collins is a dud, THT is a dud, Olynyk is the one guy we added who makes things kind of work together. I really think Ainge has done a poor job after the Mitchell/Gobert trades.

If you're a coach and you can't tell who should be playing most minutes on this team, you shouldn't be coaching......

If you can't tell the GM you're going to play the guys who deserve the minutes, you shouldn't be coaching......

So a coach should be coaching according to his own agenda and should ignore the bigger picture of what the GM is trying to do? You are watching with the idea that we should be focused on winning each game, while the FO is more focused on where the team is going in the future. Utah may have a chance to offload Collins at the trade deadline to a playoff team trying to find a stopgap for an injured player. We are not at a place where we can ignore where the team is going in favor of winning the game in front of us.

Or maybe, we don't trade for Collins in the first place and actually got something for Bojan......

Nobody is trading for a player who's got $50 mil left as a "stopgap"....

How's that for a front office?

Return to Utah Jazz