Game 51: Utah Jazz (24-26) vs Milwaukee Bucks (33-16)

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

FranchisePlayer
Sixth Man
And1: 598

Re: Game 51: Utah Jazz (24-26) vs Milwaukee Bucks (33-16) 

Post#21 » by FranchisePlayer » Tue Feb 6, 2024 7:50 pm

Crunch 99 wrote:
PaKii94 wrote:
FranchisePlayer wrote:
You stole my line, bud. It's unreal how much he resembles Lavine.

Jazz needs a floor general and Sexton doesn't know how to be one. Although I give him that he's trying and has improved in that respect.

It's uncanny. I can already hear the excuses for sexton. "At least sexton [Lavine] is being aggressive and providing efficient scoring. He's a hard worker and is trying to to distribute the ball! Why is Lauri being so passive and soft? Sexton [Lavine] needs more help!"

This type of scoring works against lesser teams but against any semi good team it always falters. Add the handicap of his size and he's a dead end player. He needs to be coming off the bench.

I am not convinced Sexton is a dead end. He just turned 25 and is gradually improving. As starter, he is averaging 21.5 ppg on 50.2/42.1/88.4 splits with 5.4 ast, 1.9 tov and 0.9 stl in 27.3 mpg. Though the Jazz win % has been falling the last ten games, they've gone 18-10 with Sexton starting. Sexton's ast/36min as starter are a career high 7.2 ast.

But I agree it is frustrating when Sexton and Clarkson take turns going one on one and sort of forget about the rest of the team. In particular, the Jazz need to figure out a way to get Markkanen more fga in Q4, where he's shooting lights out. Markannen is averaging 6.2 pts on 3.6 fga, 72.3 TS% in Q4 compared to Clarkon's 5.1 ppg on 4.4 fga, 53.2 TS% in Q4.

I agree and for that task Sexton is the wrong guy. He's got hero ball in his veins.

If Markkanen is your go-to-guy, it's kind of hard to see Sexton as your starting PG in the long run. Sell Markkanen out of the way, then maybe.

Then again, Ainge has to be smoking some crack if he thinks Sexton has higher ceiling than Lauri.
MrSparkle wrote:I don't see a scenario here or there where Lauri becomes the "7-pick we thought he could be." If you remove his 3P ability, he's worse than Felicio by a mile.

12/2/2022
I like the quote- it makes me chuckle. And it was/is pretty much true.
PaKii94
RealGM
And1: 6,554

Re: Game 51: Utah Jazz (24-26) vs Milwaukee Bucks (33-16) 

Post#22 » by PaKii94 » Tue Feb 6, 2024 10:31 pm

Crunch 99 wrote:
PaKii94 wrote:
FranchisePlayer wrote:
You stole my line, bud. It's unreal how much he resembles Lavine.

Jazz needs a floor general and Sexton doesn't know how to be one. Although I give him that he's trying and has improved in that respect.

It's uncanny. I can already hear the excuses for sexton. "At least sexton [Lavine] is being aggressive and providing efficient scoring. He's a hard worker and is trying to to distribute the ball! Why is Lauri being so passive and soft? Sexton [Lavine] needs more help!"

This type of scoring works against lesser teams but against any semi good team it always falters. Add the handicap of his size and he's a dead end player. He needs to be coming off the bench.

I am not convinced Sexton is a dead end. He just turned 25 and is gradually improving. As starter, he is averaging 21.5 ppg on 50.2/42.1/88.4 splits with 5.4 ast, 1.9 tov and 0.9 stl in 27.3 mpg. Though the Jazz win % has been falling the last ten games, they've gone 18-10 with Sexton starting. Sexton's ast/36min as starter are a career high 7.2 ast.

But I agree it is frustrating when Sexton and Clarkson take turns going one on one and sort of forget about the rest of the team. In particular, the Jazz need to figure out a way to get Markkanen more fga in Q4, where he's shooting lights out. Markannen is averaging 6.2 pts on 3.6 fga, 72.3 TS% in Q4 compared to Clarkon's 5.1 ppg on 4.4 fga, 53.2 TS% in Q4.

Trust me when I say Bulls fans went through the same exact thought process with Zach Lavine. Sexton is like a half tier better distributor but their player archetype are the same.

Read on Twitter
?s=20

Look at how efficient Lavine is! And yet he's the most losingest player in the league.

Return to Utah Jazz