What will the Jazz look like next year?

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

jazzfan1971
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,125

What will the Jazz look like next year? 

Post#1 » by jazzfan1971 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:23 pm

So, I'm thinking that the Jazz will probably embrace the tank next season. Again. But, this time more fully, shooting for a bottom 4 finish in the standings. So, I look for a very rookie heavy construction.

What would that look like?

PG - George,
SG - Sexton, Clarkson
SF - Markkanen, Sensebaugh, Bazely
PF - Hendricks, Lofton
C - Collins, Kessler

Those appear to be the guys under contract. I don't think that the Jazz do much with free agency until they get Lauri's renegotiate and extend done (or not done).

So, that's 10 guys. Plus we have 3 draft picks. I'll assume since Ainge hinted that George might not be a PG that we will look to draft a PG or two. I'm sure we'd love to bring back Dunn, but he might find better offers elsewhere.

PG - George, (Draft)
SG - Sexton, Clarkson, (Draft)
SF - Markkanen, Sensebaugh, Bazely, (Draft)
PF - Hendricks, Lofton
C - Collins, Kessler

I think we need more help in the backcourt so I"m putting the picks there, but BPA should rule the draft for us. However, that's up to 13 players, so we are getting close to the final picture.

I think Clarkson will be dangled in the offseason. Maybe with his new contract someone will give up a 2nd for him. Maybe we take that.

I think Collins will be dangles at the next trade deadline. I supect that he will fetch something like a protected first at that time. We'll probably have to take back a couple contracts to move him, so that will eat a roster spot. So, we should probably try to keep guys we like to keep down to 14.

That' leaves one spot. Maybe we sign someone after Lauri is taken care of. Maybe Ainge moves a minor asset for someone he likes like he did with Collins. I'll guess we use that 14th slot to take a chance on some 2nd draft guy. Someone that didn't work out on the team that drafted him, but we want to see if he can work here.

So, so start the season
PG - George, (Draft), (2nd draft player)
SG - Sexton, (Draft), (roster filler from Clarkson deal)
PF - Hendricks, Lofton, (2 way player to bring roster to 15)
C - Collins, Kessler

And after trade deadline
PG - George, (Draft), (2nd draft player)
SG - Sexton, (Draft), (roster filler from Clarkson deal)
PF - Hendricks, Lofton, (Roster filler from Collins deal)
C - Kessler, (roster filler from Collins deal)

That roster will likely be able to secure a bottom 4 record, especially if Lauri 'misses' a bunch of games again, with our starters meh, and our bench woeful.
"Thibs called back and wanted more picks," said Jorge Sedano. "And Pat Riley, literally, I was told, called him a mother-bleeper and hung up the phone."
HadAnEffectHere
Sixth Man
And1: 817

Re: What will the Jazz look like next year? 

Post#2 » by HadAnEffectHere » Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:15 pm

I think you have to bring back Sexton, Markkanen, and Kessler because Sexton is actually like one more leap away from Jalen Brunson but has no trade value currently because you have to be Brunson good to be valued in the NBA as a small guard... Kessler's trade value is also horrible because Hardy/Ainge sabotaged him completely and Markkanen's trade value is also heavily depressed due to various CBA issues.

You HAVE TO trade Jordan Clarkson and John Collins. Trade them for the corpses of Gabe Vincent and Lonzo Ball ideally. Just get them off the team. If you don't have to give up seconds to get rid of them, that's a win. I think Ainge and Hardy are deluded and don't understand how bad John Collins is and how little value he has and may not trade Collins though.

In the draft, I expect the Jazz to get Isaiah Collier or Cody Williams or Matas Buzelis or Steph Castle at their pick, if they move up in the lottery, I don't know if their targets change much unless they get to #1. If they trade up, I would expect it is for Sarr, I can't see them trading up otherwise. Maaaaaybe they go for Topic I guess? I doubt the pick plays much at all to start the season.

At the later picks, I expect the Jazz to trade one of these and draft Justin Edwards with the other pick. Edwards will probably play very little pre-tanking.

I expect the Jazz to strike out completely on trade targets and then re-negotiate and extend Lauri.

At the deadline, if Sexton and Kessler have taken a leap, the Jazz are actually really good and a genuine 50+ win team and then Ainge will probably be aggressive in getting wing defenders.

If Sexton does not take a leap, I would imagine he and Kessler are traded for picks and Lauri gets another fake injury to tank again for the 8th best odds.

Starting lineup:

PG: George
SG: Gabe Vincent
SF: ??? (would guess we use our cap space here...)
PF: Markkanen
C: John Collins

Relevant bench: Collin Sexton, Taylor Hendricks, Walker Kessler

G-League: Cody Williams/Steph Castle/Matas Buzelis/Isaiah Collier, Brice Sensabaugh, Justin Edwards
Gert42
Senior
And1: 213

Post#3 » by Gert42 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:32 pm

I think they look very similar to last season. I assume they may look to move Clarkson and Collins, but I don't think it will be easy to move them, at least not Collins.

I think the other part about the Jazz doing a tank/stealth tank is that if everything pretty much stays the same in the West, I'm guessing the Jazz will be projected to be 14th in the West.

I don't think anyone that made the playoffs/play-in will totally try to tear down, Memphis, Houston will both be better and I'm guessing short of injury, Victor's progression probably has SAS in a better place than the Jazz in 24-25.
HadAnEffectHere
Sixth Man

Post#4 » by HadAnEffectHere » Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:05 pm

One thing I will say is that if we don't add a high level SF and don't trade John Collins and don't trade Sexton, Markkanen, Kessler, then I have to assume the locker room is just going to be extremely toxic.

I don't know if Sexton, Markkanen, or Kessler have positive views on Ainge or Hardy at all right now and they're the only three currently good players on the roster.
FJS
Senior Mod - Jazz
Senior Mod - Jazz
And1: 2,066

Post#5 » by FJS » Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:57 pm

Just reading this is gonna depress me.

Probably we are going to look bad... but man, I hope Ainge make some trades of some good FA signings and we look at least decent.
I know Cavs and Wolves looks good right now (not impressive what Cavs are doing 2-2 in playoffs and hoping Conley take a step down) but we sucking big time another year would make not watching Jazz for me for first time since in Spain we can watch NBA every day (in the 90's)
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,373

Post#6 » by babyjax13 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:08 pm

HadAnEffectHere wrote:One thing I will say is that if we don't add a high level SF and don't trade John Collins and don't trade Sexton, Markkanen, Kessler, then I have to assume the locker room is just going to be extremely toxic.

I don't know if Sexton, Markkanen, or Kessler have positive views on Ainge or Hardy at all right now and they're the only three currently good players on the roster.

I don't think any of them like Ainge, because why would you? But Kessler, in particular, seems pretty close to Hardy? And it seems like the entire team really likes him as a coach. Obviously you can't know for sure and that isn't the only predictor of what the lockerrooom will look like. Tbh clearing the logjam at guard could help. Send Jordan to a contender, thank him for his time amd mentorship and do right by him. I think that clears some minutes to keep people happy.

Re: Collins, I'd be willing to attach our late first just to dump him into someone's cap (e.g., Detroit), and I think that might be the best asset play. The LaVine idea is fun, but we've had three years of complaints from the Bulls lockerroom about his lack of defensive effort.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
red4hf
Jazz Forum GTS Champion 2019-2020
And1: 982

Post#7 » by red4hf » Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:33 pm

FJS wrote:Just reading this is gonna depress me.

Probably we are going to look bad... but man, I hope Ainge make some trades of some good FA signings and we look at least decent.
I know Cavs and Wolves looks good right now (not impressive what Cavs are doing 2-2 in playoffs and hoping Conley take a step down) but we sucking big time another year would make not watching Jazz for me for first time since in Spain we can watch NBA every day (in the 90's)

So long as Lauri plays we're not going to be bad...... We're basically a .500 team when everyone plays......
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,027

Post#8 » by SoCalJazzFan » Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:41 pm

What I really hope doesn't happen is Zainge signing one or more decent, but not great, players (e.g. Olynyk) that help the Jazz win during the first half of the season and then realizing that they are not good enough to make the playoffs or make it through the first round, and then have to dump players again at the trade deadline and get another mid-lottery draft pick.

I hold out hope that the Cavs lose their playoff series with Magic, Mitchell won't agree to an extension, and the Cavs trade him to the Nets over the summer. The Jazz play the role of taking on Ben Simmons and Whitehead and give up Collins and Clarkson, who are routed to the Cavs who are more interested in staying in the playoffs than going young. Ben Simmons gets front row seats and free popcorn and the rookie-laden Jazz, even with Sexton and an extended Markk, are a bottom 5 team so that the Jazz have the chance of drafting a franchise player in 2025.
dr0welf
Analyst
And1: 777

Post#9 » by dr0welf » Wed May 1, 2024 12:00 am

Who would you like to see the team go "all in" on this summer that will make a difference for years to come? I suggest Cade Cunningham would pair really well with Sexton and even though he is not an all star player he is getting better each year and will be eventually. I would love to see us go after him this summer.
vryadli
Rookie
And1: 358

Post#10 » by vryadli » Wed May 1, 2024 11:30 pm

j
SoCalJazzFan wrote:What I really hope doesn't happen is Zainge signing one or more decent, but not great, players (e.g. Olynyk) that help the Jazz win during the first half of the season and then realizing that they are not good enough to make the playoffs or make it through the first round, and then have to dump players again at the trade deadline and get another mid-lottery draft pick.

No need worry about that. With the attitude toward defense which FO at last achieve no realistic addition will take Jazz from the very bottom of the league any time soon. 5-10 years at least we will have a lot bottom-based excitement - like one of young player make a couple flashy moves or has 5-10 minutes of something that can be interpreted as improvement. But other than that... which player with winning attitude will be willing to play for that FO?
mg
General Manager
And1: 4,042

Post#11 » by mg » Sat May 4, 2024 3:03 pm

If they take a risk on any player it should be a younger one with untapped potential (Cade, Deni, Dyson Daniels, Mobley, Anthony Black types). They were all lottery picks (like Lauri and Sexton) that have for the most part played well but for whatever reason haven't quite lived up to their draft billing yet.

Ainge already stated they aren't going after "dinosaurs" in his season ending presser.
Crunch 99
General Manager
And1: 3,687

Post#12 » by Crunch 99 » Sun May 5, 2024 11:15 am

HadAnEffectHere
Sixth Man

Post#13 » by HadAnEffectHere » Sun May 5, 2024 2:34 pm

Crunch 99 wrote:Ranking the Jazz Assets Ahead of 2024 Offseason (From SB Nation)
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/other/ranking-utah-jazz-assets-ahead-of-2024-offseason/ar-AA1nJcq1

lmao, Kenny Lofton and Brice that high.

Lofton is not an NBA player and Brice is unlikely to make the NBA.
HadAnEffectHere
Sixth Man

Post#14 » by HadAnEffectHere » Sun May 5, 2024 2:45 pm

Jazz asset rankings

1. Lauri Markkanen
2. 2025 Utah pick
3. 2026 Utah pick
4. 2027 Utah pick
5. Collin Sexton
6. Walker Kessler
7. Keyonte George
8. 2024 Utah pick
9. 2025 Cleveland pick
10. 2027 Minnesota pick
11. Taylor Hendricks
12. 2028 Utah pick
13. 2028 Cleveland swap
14. 2029 Utah pick
15. 2030 Utah pick
16. 2031 Utah pick
17. Top 5 protected Minnesota pick 2029
18. Top 4 protected Lakers pick 2027
19-onward. Various seconds and late firsts
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,745

Post#15 » by AingesBurner » Sun May 5, 2024 7:44 pm

HadAnEffectHere wrote:Jazz asset rankings

1. Lauri Markkanen
2. 2025 Utah pick
3. 2026 Utah pick
4. 2027 Utah pick
5. Collin Sexton
6. Walker Kessler
7. Keyonte George
8. 2024 Utah pick
9. 2025 Cleveland pick
10. 2027 Minnesota pick
11. Taylor Hendricks
12. 2028 Utah pick
13. 2028 Cleveland swap
14. 2029 Utah pick
15. 2030 Utah pick
16. 2031 Utah pick

We can’t trade an Utah pick until 28.
HadAnEffectHere
Sixth Man

Post#16 » by HadAnEffectHere » Sun May 5, 2024 7:45 pm

AingesBurner wrote:

1. Lauri Markkanen
2. 2025 Utah pick
3. 2026 Utah pick
4. 2027 Utah pick
5. Collin Sexton
6. Walker Kessler
7. Keyonte George
8. 2024 Utah pick
9. 2025 Cleveland pick
10. 2027 Minnesota pick
11. Taylor Hendricks
12. 2028 Utah pick
13. 2028 Cleveland swap
14. 2029 Utah pick
15. 2030 Utah pick
16. 2031 Utah pick

1. Yeah we can, you just make your new protections the complement of the protections already owed
2. For the Jazz's future, these picks matter hugely for them.
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,745

Post#17 » by AingesBurner » Sun May 5, 2024 7:52 pm

HadAnEffectHere wrote:
AingesBurner wrote:

1. Lauri Markkanen
2. 2025 Utah pick
3. 2026 Utah pick
4. 2027 Utah pick
5. Collin Sexton
6. Walker Kessler
7. Keyonte George
8. 2024 Utah pick
9. 2025 Cleveland pick
10. 2027 Minnesota pick
11. Taylor Hendricks
12. 2028 Utah pick
13. 2028 Cleveland swap
14. 2029 Utah pick
15. 2030 Utah pick
16. 2031 Utah pick

1. Yeah we can, you just make your new protections the complement of the protections already owed
2. For the Jazz's future, these picks matter hugely for them.

That could work but those picks won’t have strong value until the deadline.

Return to Utah Jazz