Gregg Popovich similar to Sloan

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

carrottop12
RealGM
And1: 30

Gregg Popovich similar to Sloan 

Post#1 » by carrottop12 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:24 am

I was wondering if anyone was watching the Pistons/Spurs game tonight.

Greg Popovich allowed the Pistons to go on a 22-2 run with out calling a time out, and it is a tactice he follows often. It isn't something Sloan does by himself, just wanted to note to everyone that Sloan isn't the only good coach who does things you might not agree with.
Racer X
Sixth Man
And1: 2

Post#2 » by Racer X » Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:30 am

Popovich also has a veteran team that has won multiple championships. We have a young team that hasnt won anything.
Malone Strong
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#3 » by Malone Strong » Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:33 am

LOL a desperate retaliation attempt to the "Sloan Kills Us Thread" by a giant Sloan-Homer!
sodapop
Sophomore

Post#4 » by sodapop » Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:32 am

A rational thread that shows how bad the Sloan haters have become. Phil Jackson does the same thing. Three terrible coaches.

I admit with young players it might be needed more, but even when S&M were here the complainers moaned about it.
Neon Black
Starter
And1: 19

Post#5 » by Neon Black » Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:50 am

I don't agree with Sloan on alot of things but i'm not so stubborn that i won't see any good in him...

He isn't very flexible, BUT if players are able to adapt to his type of game, wins will result.
JazzyPhinz
Starter
And1: 1,200

Post#6 » by JazzyPhinz » Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:30 am

For all the people who want Sloan out, out of the rest of the leagues coaches, how many of them would you rather have.? Not many I bet.

How many teams would love to have Sloans system on their team?
Many I bet.
Joseph17
RealGM
And1: 529

Post#7 » by Joseph17 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:48 am

Has anyone here looked at Utah's home record this year? Sloan is a great coach.
kebutah
Analyst
And1: 99

Post#8 » by kebutah » Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:41 pm

joeyyowee wrote:Has anyone here looked at Utah's home record this year? Sloan is a great coach.

Home record is nice, but overall record counts more. We only show up at home. Sloanies blame the players, but the coach is responsivble to pout the players in situations where they can be successful.
schneiderjazz
Assistant Coach
And1: 19

Re: Gregg Popovich similar to Sloan 

Post#9 » by schneiderjazz » Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:55 pm

Batronuj wrote:I was wondering if anyone was watching the Pistons/Spurs game tonight.

Greg Popovich allowed the Pistons to go on a 22-2 run with out calling a time out, and it is a tactice he follows often. It isn't something Sloan does by himself, just wanted to note to everyone that Sloan isn't the only good coach who does things you might not agree with.

We all know there are far worse coaches in the league than Sloan. But I don't see where you are going with this. Great coaches also do stupid things from time to time. Popovich allowing the Pistons go on a 22-2 run was such a great move that the Spurs could never get back in the game. My guess is that coaches do this to make the players have to fight for themselves and to show some mental toughness. I just have never seen it work out well.
I thought Sloan did a great job on the playoffs last year. He was calling time outs when it was needed, his rotations were a lot better and so on. I can understand a coach trying new things when you're in a great situation like the Spurs or out of the playoff picture, but when you're fighting for a playoff spot, I don't understand why you don't just try to win every game, what supposedly Sloan is all about.
sodapop
Sophomore

Post#10 » by sodapop » Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:58 pm

Jackson, Sloan and Popovich are trying to throw games?
Ming Kong!
RealGM
And1: 31

Post#11 » by Ming Kong! » Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:52 pm

I laugh at how much people wine of Sloan. So we had a bad month. Big deal, it happens. The Suns and the Mavs had terribly slow starts last season, and look how well they ended. We were in trade talks for who knows how long, probably throughout the entire month of December, and well it cost us several games. I'm not entirely surprised. We've won 4 out of out last 5 games now. We're just 1 game out of the playoffs now, and I can assure you we are going to make the playoffs. I'm sure we didn't make the conference finals by sheer luck. I'm not saying we're going to achieve the same success we did last year, but it's not entirely out of realm. Seems like Okur has been playing better with Korver, so I just hope he can keep this up.
kebutah
Analyst
And1: 99

Post#12 » by kebutah » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:06 pm

We have been winning the home games all year, so 4 out of 5 isn't any improvement. It is just consistent with playing at home. When we get back to winning at least half our road games I will feel confident. Last year we wer almost 50% (20-21) on the road.
Ming Kong!
RealGM
And1: 31

Post#13 » by Ming Kong! » Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:03 pm

kebutah wrote:We have been winning the home games all year, so 4 out of 5 isn't any improvement. It is just consistent with playing at home. When we get back to winning at least half our road games I will feel confident. Last year we wer almost 50% (20-21) on the road.

That's not even very impressive, and we still could have beat any team not called the Spurs in a seven game series.
Duiz
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#14 » by Duiz » Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:56 am

Perhaps Sloan ain't that bad... Perhaps two HoF coaches are not wrong, and perhaps it is the mentality of some newbs.

I am just saying.
Malone Strong
Banned User

Post#15 » by Malone Strong » Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:04 am

Dude last year we had that killer instinct to close out games on the road, and we even came furiously back in the fourth quarter from down 16+ like four times. We arent the same team. We cant win close games on the road anymore. I wonder if Fisher really DID matter that much? Maybe at least because of the ref respect he's got in the fourth....
stevebozell
Starter

Post#16 » by stevebozell » Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:16 am

And I am similar to Pop because we both pee standing up...big deal. Sloan is nowhere NEAR Pop in what matters, and we all know what that is.
ColdBlue wrote:I think NJN should go to the cave and whip up a Sloan + NJN + anal lube = Championship sig.
Malone Strong
Banned User

Post#17 » by Malone Strong » Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:18 am

stevebozell wrote:And I am similar to Pop because we both pee standing up...big deal. Sloan is nowhere NEAR Pop in what matters, and we all know what that is.

Cant believe I agree with SteveBozo...
stevebozell
Starter

Post#18 » by stevebozell » Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:19 am

Seems about right that IPUSS would chime in when I post...he's addicted.
ColdBlue wrote:I think NJN should go to the cave and whip up a Sloan + NJN + anal lube = Championship sig.
Malone Strong
Banned User

Post#19 » by Malone Strong » Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:21 am

stevebozell wrote:Seems about right that IPUSS would chime in when I post...he's addicted.

:lol: at you for defending yourself when all Im doing is agreeing with you...
stevebozell
Starter

Post#20 » by stevebozell » Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:24 am

IMissStocktonBadly wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

:lol: at you for defending yourself when all Im doing is agreeing with you...

:lol: at you for doing the very thing you just claimed I am doing.

Return to Utah Jazz