New York Watch thread. The race for the 2010 #1 pick.

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

jazzfan1971
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,130

Re: New York Watch thread. The race for the 2010 #1 pick. 

Post#41 » by jazzfan1971 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:06 pm

The standard here isn't great, the standard is better than what they had last year.
"Thibs called back and wanted more picks," said Jorge Sedano. "And Pat Riley, literally, I was told, called him a mother-bleeper and hung up the phone."
carrottop12
RealGM
And1: 30

Post#42 » by carrottop12 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:20 pm

The problem is the Knicks got two guys who fit into what D'antoni wants to do which is run and gun. Hill and Douglas are guys that can run and play the transition game, and whether or not that makes the Knicks a playoff team (it doesn't) but it does allow them to be a few steps closer to being a decent team next year. If they do find a way to get Lee back or Robinson back they might be decent in the Eastern Conference. I hoping not, and I am hoping that Lee and Robinson find their way out of town, but who knows at this point.
UTJazzFan_Echo1
Lead Assistant
And1: 279

Post#43 » by UTJazzFan_Echo1 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:51 pm

Well talk around the league is some sort of deal comprised of Rubio for Lee and Robinson. Works for me
Jerry Sloan >>>>>>>> Everything else.
Sloanfeld
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#44 » by Sloanfeld » Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:48 am

jazzfan1971 wrote:We love you guys. But, we hope you don't win a game all year. No offense.

Disagree. I'll be rooting for them against our conference rivals. Whether they go 0-82 or 17-65, it's probably going to be the same 25% chance of getting the #1 pick.
jazzfan1971
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,130

Post#45 » by jazzfan1971 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:38 am

picky, picky
"Thibs called back and wanted more picks," said Jorge Sedano. "And Pat Riley, literally, I was told, called him a mother-bleeper and hung up the phone."
carrottop12
RealGM
And1: 30

Post#46 » by carrottop12 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:45 am

The more losses the better. Now am I rooting for the Knicks against Conference rivals, much less division rivals. Next year is one year, however next year's pick could have Deron Williams like affect on the franchise.

Knicks, we need you to lose.
Phenom415
Senior

Post#47 » by Phenom415 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:11 pm

Bat wrote:Next year is one year, however next year's pick could have Deron Williams like affect on the franchise.

Knicks, we need you to lose.

No doubt!! Look at what happened to the Spurs, who already had a solid team with guys like the Admiral and Sean Elliot, when they fluked into winning the lottery and drafting Duncan. This could be nearly as big for the Jazz as that was for SA.
Brevity is the soul of wit.
erudite23
Lead Assistant
And1: 659

Post#48 » by erudite23 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:56 am

I don't think Hill is going to be any near as good (let alone better) than David Lee. He may be a better defender, but he won't be anywhere near as good of a rebounder, and his offense is still very raw. Lee might not be a world beater, but he was extremely efficient with the possessions he used and always made good decisions. He was a low mistake guy, and I don't see Hill being that guy. Also, its not like he is a Mutombo, Duncan, Robinson or even Okafor type prospect. Very few players come out of college and end up being good defenders in their rookie seasons, and the ones that do are the great help-side shot blocking bigs, traditionally. He is not that type of guy. He might hustle, but he'll still get schooled on defense, especially without any good team defenders to help....unless Darko can stay out of fould trouble, stay involved and alert mentally and at least put everything together on the defensive end. That would be a huge blow to us, were that to happen.

And, yes, I will be rooting against the Knicks in every game this year. What you guys need to understand is that its not just the ping pong balls. Its the actual draft positions, too. It is 100% imperative that they finish with a bottom 2 record, as that will guarantee us--at worst--the #5 pick. After 5 your chances of getting a superstar severely taper off. Really, if you don't have #1, the difference between 2, 3, 4, and 5 is minimal. So every win could potentially cost us a draft slot. In a year in which we probably don't have a chance to contend, this pick does more for our chances of ever being a champion than pretty much anything.
CAE15
Assistant Coach
And1: 699

Post#49 » by CAE15 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:29 am

erudite23 wrote:I don't think Hill is going to be any near as good (let alone better) than David Lee. He may be a better defender, but he won't be anywhere near as good of a rebounder, and his offense is still very raw. Lee might not be a world beater, but he was extremely efficient with the possessions he used and always made good decisions. He was a low mistake guy, and I don't see Hill being that guy. Also, its not like he is a Mutombo, Duncan, Robinson or even Okafor type prospect. Very few players come out of college and end up being good defenders in their rookie seasons, and the ones that do are the great help-side shot blocking bigs, traditionally. He is not that type of guy. He might hustle, but he'll still get schooled on defense, especially without any good team defenders to help....unless Darko can stay out of fould trouble, stay involved and alert mentally and at least put everything together on the defensive end. That would be a huge blow to us, were that to happen.

And, yes, I will be rooting against the Knicks in every game this year. What you guys need to understand is that its not just the ping pong balls. Its the actual draft positions, too. It is 100% imperative that they finish with a bottom 2 record, as that will guarantee us--at worst--the #5 pick. After 5 your chances of getting a superstar severely taper off. Really, if you don't have #1, the difference between 2, 3, 4, and 5 is minimal. So every win could potentially cost us a draft slot. In a year in which we probably don't have a chance to contend, this pick does more for our chances of ever being a champion than pretty much anything.

wow can we at least see what free agency does for us? or maybe a trade? To say were not going to contend is ridiculous. The Jazz as it stands right now have one of the most talented rosters in the league. Lets wait and see what we do and dont do then we can say our predictions. We did have 148 games lost to injury this past year.
@ndrew
Analyst
And1: 198

Post#50 » by @ndrew » Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:19 am

Too bad Knicks didn't take Jennings.... WOW. Did you hear his conversation with some rapper? I bet he is going to brake some rules at Rookie camp...
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,374

Post#51 » by babyjax13 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:42 pm

Next year's draft is as good as 07 or 08, no matter where we pick, if it is in the lottery we will most likely get something good out of it (even if it is not a franchise player).

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
StocktonShorts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,551

Post#52 » by StocktonShorts » Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:46 pm

babyjax13 wrote:Next year's draft is as good as 07 or 08,

2008 was a good draft, 2007 not so much. If 2010 looks anything like the 2009 or 2007 draft I'd rather trade the pick.

babyjax13 wrote:...no matter where we pick, if it is in the lottery we will most likely get something good out of it (even if it is not a franchise player).

Even in the lottery there are busts. Just off the top of my head I'd say the "hit" rate (the odds that a player meets or exceeds his perceived potential) maxes out at 75% near the top of the lottery and fades to about 50% near the bottom.
UTJazzFan_Echo1
Lead Assistant

Post#53 » by UTJazzFan_Echo1 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:46 pm

Ya next years draft should be loaded with talent. Dont know what we will do if we get the #1 pick though, Wall is a pg so unless he plans on playing SG...
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#54 » by babyjax13 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:48 pm

Wall is not going to be the best player in the draft. Guys like him with bad attitudes/reputations normally tend to hurt teams instead of helping them, or at the very least not have as much impact as they should (Beasley, Marbury, etc.). Right now I like Evan Turner and Cole Aldrich the most. As for 2007 draft, it had Kevin Durant, Jeff Green, JoAkim Noah, Greg Oden, Spencer Hawes, Al Horford, Mike Conley, Thaddeus Young, Al Thornton, Marc Gasol and Wilson Chandler. Not the best, but it was certainly a deep draft, and those types of guys are the ones we need on this team.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
UTJazzFan_Echo1
Lead Assistant

Post#55 » by UTJazzFan_Echo1 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:38 pm

Wall is being projected as the #1 pick on Draftexpress. I like the idea of Aldrich, seems like the kinda player that we need if we lose one of our bigs. Warren is certainly an interesting prospect also. I think the best looking fits for the Jazz will be Aldrich, Warren, and Turner. Henson and Davis need to bulk up before they interest me. Wall and Favors I'm skeptical about...and this foreign guy Donatas Motiejunas is intriguing but also needs to bulk up.
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#56 » by babyjax13 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:28 pm

I think Wall is the consensus number one right now, but I just don't buy the hype--even if he is still at the top coming into the draft I don't think he is going to make the most out of his opportunities.

JColl
erudite23
Lead Assistant
And1: 659

Post#57 » by erudite23 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:44 pm

New Jazzy Nets wrote:
erudite23 wrote:I don't think Hill is going to be any near as good (let alone better) than David Lee. He may be a better defender, but he won't be anywhere near as good of a rebounder, and his offense is still very raw. Lee might not be a world beater, but he was extremely efficient with the possessions he used and always made good decisions. He was a low mistake guy, and I don't see Hill being that guy. Also, its not like he is a Mutombo, Duncan, Robinson or even Okafor type prospect. Very few players come out of college and end up being good defenders in their rookie seasons, and the ones that do are the great help-side shot blocking bigs, traditionally. He is not that type of guy. He might hustle, but he'll still get schooled on defense, especially without any good team defenders to help....unless Darko can stay out of fould trouble, stay involved and alert mentally and at least put everything together on the defensive end. That would be a huge blow to us, were that to happen.

wow can we at least see what free agency does for us? or maybe a trade? To say were not going to contend is ridiculous. The Jazz as it stands right now have one of the most talented rosters in the league. Lets wait and see what we do and dont do then we can say our predictions. We did have 148 games lost to injury this past year.

The Jazz will certainly compete, and likely win 50+ games again. But they won't contend. Orlando is looking far too strong. Cleveland will fall off a little in the regular season, but should still be extremely good, and LA should be right there at 60+ win level again, too.

No, the Jazz won't be able to match those teams, even with every one of our guys back and healthy, I don't believe. The biggest key to next season, imo, will most likely be the fortunes of this pick. If it becomes a the top overall pick, we will almost certainly be competing for championship throughout the rest of this next decade. If it falls to the late lottery, we could be facing some tough time ahead.
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,973

Post#58 » by Manhattan Project » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:38 am

Derrick Favors
Cole Aldrich
Ed Davis
John Henson
Greg Monroe
Patrick Patterson

All look to be amazing front court players. Some shooting guards include James Anderson, Xavier Henry and Sylven Landesberg. The Jazz should come away with a good player regardless the pick, scouts are drooling over the talent in this draft.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Porter Jr l Marshall l Tucker
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
partnerfusion
Freshman

Post#59 » by partnerfusion » Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:05 pm

Have you guys already mentioned Donatas Motiejunas - he looks to have some amazing potential but I worry about his lack of constant intensity...thoughts?
DelaneyRudd
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 9,340

Post#60 » by DelaneyRudd » Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:14 pm

Well, no one has ever seen him play, but visions of Tskitishvili dance in my head. Unfair and uneducated opinion in my head. Considering the pick is likely to be a 4 through 10 he may be a more palatable choice.

Return to Utah Jazz