New York Watch thread. The race for the 2010 #1 pick.

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

Racer X
Sixth Man
And1: 2

Re: New York Watch thread. The race for the 2010 #1 pick. 

Post#501 » by Racer X » Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:36 pm

I would be so happy if we got like the 5th pick and got Evan Turner. He is exactly what the Jazz need. He is a legit ball handler (ala Brandon Roy) who can take pressure off of DWill and has a lethal midrange game. I would let Ronnie B walk if he was asking for a bit too much and we had Turner.
darthkiller
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#502 » by darthkiller » Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:30 pm

xavier henry is beasting. utah should get him with their own pick.
DelaneyRudd
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 9,340

Post#503 » by DelaneyRudd » Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:14 pm

They will end up outside the lottery. They finally learned it's more fun to play as a team.
edfmx86
Club Captain- MLS Soccer
And1: 199

Post#504 » by edfmx86 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:19 pm

worst first 10 games in franchise history. couldnt have come at a better time.
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,973

Post#505 » by Manhattan Project » Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:19 am

Just curious, how do you view Brewer? Regarding what he is now and what he projects to be. A lot of people including myself earlier have viewed Cole Aldridch as the "Sloan" pick. However I agree that Turner or Henry should be the pick. I would think that Turner would be the Jazz pick considering his all around game.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Porter Jr l Marshall l Tucker
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
carrottop12
RealGM
And1: 30

Post#506 » by carrottop12 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:19 am

The Jazz like Brewer even though he has had a silent year so far. He'll benefit when Korver and CJ Miles come back to back him up, they'll take some of hte pressure off him that will help him.

I've really liked whay Wes Matthews has shown so far though, he's a player.
StocktonShorts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,551

Post#507 » by StocktonShorts » Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:08 pm

I just hope the Jazz draft a basketball player and not some guy whose best characteristics are upside, potential and wingspan.
erudite23
Lead Assistant
And1: 659

Post#508 » by erudite23 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:41 pm

Manhattan Project wrote:Just curious, how do you view Brewer? Regarding what he is now and what he projects to be. A lot of people including myself earlier have viewed Cole Aldridch as the "Sloan" pick. However I agree that Turner or Henry should be the pick. I would think that Turner would be the Jazz pick considering his all around game.

Brewer is viewed as a one of our core group. He appeared to have star potential at times during his second season, but right now it doesn't look like he'll get there. But he's improved his rebounding, which was a terrible and inexcusable weakness, and is probably the best off-ball slasher in the NBA from the wing. As long as he doesn't get an exorbitant offer in FA, he's here to stay long term.

Aldrich does seem like a Jazz pick, and very well might be considering the talents he brings and position he plays. The Jazz haven't had a legit defensive presence since Ostertag's heyday (and even then it was only some nights) and we have a system that is largely predicated on funneling players to our help (not like most teams don't use the same philosophy, but just saying) in the form of a defensive big. We really need a player that can do those things. Aldrich could very well fit the bill there. HOWEVER, the Jazz have shown that they have their own evaluation criteria and will stick to their guns. They never draft for need or position unless the players involved are comparable.

It's all going to come down to what the draft grades are, and there's no way to predict that right now, obviously. All that said, I do think that Evan Turner looks like a "Sloan guy" and would thrive in our system. I would love him on this team, and I think our organization would too. Generally speaking, the only players the Jazz avoid are the self-promoting prima donna types, or players they feel like have off the court issues that are too serious to overlook. I don't see anyone like that in the top 10 but John Wall. He's the only guy I see us passing on if he is BPA at our pick.
DelaneyRudd
Senior Mod
Senior Mod

Post#509 » by DelaneyRudd » Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:44 pm

Manhattan Project wrote:Just curious, how do you view Brewer? Regarding what he is now and what he projects to be. A lot of people including myself earlier have viewed Cole Aldridch as the "Sloan" pick. However I agree that Turner or Henry should be the pick. I would think that Turner would be the Jazz pick considering his all around game.

Just curious, what makes Cole Aldrich a Sloan pick?
StocktonShorts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#510 » by StocktonShorts » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:44 pm

DelaneyRudd wrote:

Just curious, what makes Cole Aldrich a Sloan pick?

He's white and from the midwest?
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#511 » by Manhattan Project » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:02 pm

- Comes from a good school.
- Coached by Bill Self, a great coach.
- Is regarded as a safe pick, something the Jazz seem to do.
- Replacement in Boozer, gives a nice front court rotation.
- Is better than Koufos and Fesenko.

Also keep in mind this is when people the Jazz were getting a 4-7 pick range, something that is out of the question now.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
DelaneyRudd
Senior Mod
Senior Mod

Post#512 » by DelaneyRudd » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:13 pm

There's the metaphor I was looking for. ;)
erudite23
Lead Assistant

Post#513 » by erudite23 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:39 pm

Manhattan Project wrote:- Comes from a good school.

Also keep in mind this is when people the Jazz were getting a 4-7 pick range, something that is out of the question now.

Lawl. You know, I was frustrated to the point of tears trying to get Knicks fans to see reason during the off season, but you have to hand it to them. Once they saw the product they gave up all hope with little to no hesitation.
erudite23
Lead Assistant

Post#514 » by erudite23 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:43 pm

Manhattan Project wrote:- Comes from a good school.

To be fair, this is pretty spot on. At least the first 3 points and probably the 4th, too. Whether he's better than Koufos or Fesenko, though likely, is yet to be determined. Both of those guys have huge upsides, and Fesenko could be a monster if he ever really "gets" it. Jazz fans are a little sensitive about being stereotyped in which players they will go after, but they really do follow this blueprint.
HitMan52
Starter
And1: 33

Post#515 » by HitMan52 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:27 pm

This thread brings back memories of our Chicago Bulls Knicks tracking thread back in 2006

Although it was a poor draft we still picked in the top 2 so good luck to you guys because you will need it since there are some great prospects in this draft.

Oh and it will be frustrating at times if the Knicks ever get lucky wins like Eddy Curry hitting a game winning three against the Bucks in 2007 but its okay we got Joakim Noah out of that draft so Im happy.

Also if you guys get the 1st pick and John Wall lives up to the hype do you guys still take him even though you have one of the best players in the league that already plays PG?
DelaneyRudd
Senior Mod
Senior Mod

Post#516 » by DelaneyRudd » Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:52 pm

We will see how the college season plays out but you don't not take the best player with the 1st.
DelaneyRudd
Senior Mod
Senior Mod

Post#517 » by DelaneyRudd » Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:52 pm

(oh and we will see how the NBA season and lotto go too first, lol)
StocktonShorts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#518 » by StocktonShorts » Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:24 am

So rumors are starting to swirl about Iverson joining the Knicks.

Is this anything but great news for the Jazz?
carrottop12
RealGM
And1: 30

Post#519 » by carrottop12 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:35 am

Iverson has shown to be nothing but a cancer for the teams he joins, so it could very well be a bad thing for the Knicks.

Tom Nissalke always says you can have one screw ball on the team and if you have 11 other guys who can keep their heads on straight you'll be fine.

However adding Iverson to the mix of Harrington, Robinson, and even Larry Hughes I could really see that team tearing itself apart.

Personally, right now everything is going wrong for the Knicks, and going right for the Jazz. I am very hesitant to mess would a good thing the Jazz have going because you never know what adding a player will do to a roster.

Personally I hope they don't get him and that he goes to a team like the Hornets or the Nets and finds a way to win them a few more games to give them a better record than the Knicks.

The more the Knicks stay the same the better imo.
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#520 » by Manhattan Project » Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:21 am

erudite23 wrote:
Lawl. You know, I was frustrated to the point of tears trying to get Knicks fans to see reason during the off season, but you have to hand it to them. Once they saw the product they gave up all hope with little to no hesitation.

A lot of people expected us to be bad, but can you truly say you believed THIS BAD? I really thought that we could be decent, but a 1-9 start changes that quickly.

erudite23 wrote:To be fair, this is pretty spot on. At least the first 3 points and probably the 4th, too. Whether he's better than Koufos or Fesenko, though likely, is yet to be determined. Both of those guys have huge upsides, and Fesenko could be a monster if he ever really "gets" it. Jazz fans are a little sensitive about being stereotyped in which players they will go after, but they really do follow this blueprint.

2005: Trade up and clearly have your eyes set on Williams. He was coming off a strong march madness run and really played outstanding defense. Paul might of had the tools to be a good defensive player, but Williams had the ideal size and proved it already.

2006: Ronnie Brewer was projected to go a little earlier then he did, but he was the best player there. He played nice defense, versatile. The only knock on him was that hitch in his jumpshot.

2007: Still unsure what you had in Brewer, but needed an outside shooter. Many people thought Almond could contribute from day one in that regard, seemed to get a bit greedy no?

2008: I'm assuming they hoped that Koufos would be like Okur in regards to similar playing style. He had a few huge games in which really helped Ohio State advance.

I personally don't care for either Koufos or Fesenko but than again I rarely see them.

DelaneyRudd wrote:We will see how the college season plays out but you don't not take the best player with the 1st.

Getting past the stigma that comes with being a Jazz pick, it's going to be interesting to read mock drafts and their reasoning. Favors and Wall, neither sounds like a Jazz pick. To me Henry and Aldridch reek of a Jazz pick.

Hell this draft is so deep you could trade down and get three Jazz picks.

Just imagine a Turner-Monroe-George draft.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones

Return to Utah Jazz