New York Watch thread. The race for the 2010 #1 pick.

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

StocktonShorts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,551

Re: New York Watch thread. The race for the 2010 #1 pick. 

Post#541 » by StocktonShorts » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:31 am

Man.. New Jersey needs to start winning some games. Minnesota, too.

Can we lend them some guys for a few games?
carrottop12
RealGM
And1: 30

Post#542 » by carrottop12 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:19 am

Knicks won, I hate that feelings.
GopherIt!
RealGM
And1: 24,145

Post#543 » by GopherIt! » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:55 am

haha. This thread cracks me up.

As an MN fan, I think that this might be the worst Wolves team we've ever had.
Possibly worse than the '91-92 team that won 15 games.

No thread hilarity like this on our board but for obvious reasons: Go Jazz! :wink:
Knicksick
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#544 » by Knicksick » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:37 am

erudite23 wrote:....on that note, this provides them with momentum headed into the massive showdown with the Nets on the 21st. Dare we say win streak? Hope not.

However, the good news after that is that they are heading into a stretch against Boston, the Lakers and Denver. Should be able to wash the taste of this win right off of our tongues.

Edit:

Upcoming schedule:

Sat, Nov 21 @ New Jersey
Sun, Nov 22 Boston
Tue, Nov 24 @ LA Lakers
Wed, Nov 25 @ Sacramento
Fri, Nov 27 @ Denver
Sun, Nov 29 Orlando

Tue, Dec 1 Phoenix
Wed, Dec 2 @ Orlando
Fri, Dec 4 @ Atlanta
Sun, Dec 6 New Jersey
Mon, Dec 7 Portland

Lol, two games against NJ, but besides that there are 9 winning teams on that list, with 5 of them on the road, including two games versus defending ECC Orlando, a game against WCC Lakers, possible best team in the west Phoenix, possible best team in the east Atlanta....I mean, wow.... Hard to see them being any better than 5-17 or so by December 8th. Wow.

I have absolutely given up on the season. Not that I expected playoffs but I did think we could land in the 35-38win range---boy was I ever wrong. Knicks look even trashy in a comeback win against the Pacers.
Read that:
The Knicks were down by 20 or more points in 9 of their first 11 games!!!I don't think I've ever witnessed something like that--never ever do I remember such a pathetic start. I know there were some comebacks but it was 100% due to other teams stop playing--like last night: Indiana was trashing the Knicks left and right but then suddenly stopped playing. Defense was better but 90% was due to Indiana playing like they were leading 50points instead of 15-20. Worst part is that the schedule through the first 11 games was the easiest stretch of the season. Even when I was thinking 35-38 wins (=losing season) I anticipated 6-5 or 5-6 through the first 11.

You guys don't need to worry at all---the Bulls team that fought back to make the playoffs was entirely different. They got career season from hungry,young terrific players back then(Hinrich,Gordon,Deng etc.). This Knick team is dead--if you watch them play you'll see that they are just way inferior to any decent team.It's not about confidence,bad luck,lack of passion etc. They are just inferior in many aspects: athleticism,basketball IQ,defensive awareness,team play,skill level,toughness. These are not things that you can fix in 30 year old veterans.

At the VERY VERY worst this is gonna be the 5th pick of the draft. That is if the Knicks sign Iverson and he provides some unexpected wins(although he doesn't really adress any area of weakness--but maybe by keeping Duhon on the bench the Knicks might improve some).

THANK GOD the Jazz are a team I'm totally indifferent about--much different then the Bulls back then. That aside with the upcoming departure of Boozer and the overall talent level of your team you can definitely use that pick to keep you competitive. Actually if the Jazz completely tanked the season it'd be the best move they could do. Would give you two top 5 picks. With a good draft=rebuilding completed within a single season.

Good luck.
Knicksick
Banned User

Post#545 » by Knicksick » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:43 am

Concerning upcoming games: 3 wins is the absolute maximum I can picture. Don't even start talking about upset wins. Teams like Boston,Lakers,Denver,Orlando,Phoenix couldn't lose against the Knicks even if they tried to. I'm not kidding or being overly dramatic---the skill level is so different that as a Knick fan you don't even have the slightest glimmer of hope. Heck if you offered us 5 competitive games and a losing margin of 10 or less points , 99% of Knick fans would jump on that just so we could avoid having the Celtics humiliate us in MSG, Denver humiliate us,Orlando take us apart, Bryant ridicule us etc. etc. You get the picture.
seejaydeja
Lead Assistant
And1: 53

Post#546 » by seejaydeja » Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:17 pm

What happened in the 4th last night? Looks like Knicks completely tore the Pacers apart.
jazzfan1971
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,109

Post#547 » by jazzfan1971 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:46 pm

NY's current record: 2-8

NY's final record if win% is unchanged: 16-66
"Thibs called back and wanted more picks," said Jorge Sedano. "And Pat Riley, literally, I was told, called him a mother-bleeper and hung up the phone."
boogydown
Banned User
And1: 15

Post#548 » by boogydown » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:08 pm

Bad news Jazz fans. Iverson about to sign with New York.
jazzfan1971
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#549 » by jazzfan1971 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:21 pm

I think it's far from guaranteed that he'll help NY.
"Thibs called back and wanted more picks," said Jorge Sedano. "And Pat Riley, literally, I was told, called him a mother-bleeper and hung up the phone."
JoyDivision
Freshman

Post#550 » by JoyDivision » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:36 pm

Because we have no legitimate shot at the title I like to see the Knicks lose more than i like to see the Jazz win. I'm relying on them to lose so we can draft an potential superstar like Favors. Iverson has me worried, Duhon is pretty incompetent at the point so that looks to be an upgrade if they end up picking him up.
Knicksick
Banned User

Post#551 » by Knicksick » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:45 pm

JoyDivision wrote:Because we have no legitimate shot at the title I like to see the Knicks lose more than i like to see the Jazz win. I'm relying on them to lose so we can draft an potential superstar like Favors. Iverson has me worried, Duhon is pretty incompetent at the point so that looks to be an upgrade if they end up picking him up.

Don't leave out the D'Antoni factor. For some strange reason he has a weird fascination and love for Chris Duhon. Duhon is shooting 20 for the season (I'm not kidding) but hasn't seen any decline in playing time. Rumor has it Nate Robinson is the odd man out--not Duhon, as unbelievable as it may sound.
Knicksick
Banned User

Post#552 » by Knicksick » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:53 pm

0 for 6 for zero points in 39 minutes
0 for 4 for 1 point in 20 minutes
2 for 7 for 8 points in 28 minutes
0 for 6 for zero points in 25 minutes
1 for 7 for 5 points in 30 minutes
1 for 5 for 6 points in 33 minutes

that's Duhon's stats for the past 6 games. His defense has been non existant as well.It's amazing that no one on the team has tried to intentionally hurt him in practice.He is shooting 4-36 in the past 6 games. Have you ever witnessed a starting PG playing like that?If so then please tell me because I'm questioning D'Antoni's mental health.
StocktonShorts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#553 » by StocktonShorts » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:35 pm

boogydown wrote:Bad news Jazz fans. Iverson about to sign with New York.

Best case scenario this gives the Knicks 2-3 more wins over the course of the season, and while that could be significant I think it's the absolute best-case. Worst case is it massively screws up the development of the youngsters and drives D'Antoni to quit.
erudite23
Lead Assistant
And1: 659

Post#554 » by erudite23 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:10 pm

Iverson is a risky signing. What, exactly, is going to happen if/when things don't go well for him and he starts with the "poor me" act that he has gone into every time he hasn't gotten carte blanche from his team? The dude has to get 40mpg and 20 shots per game or he feels disrespected and abused and starts making trouble. There's a very good chance that this could make things worse. The team already has problems with selfish chuckers taking ill-timed and -advised shots. I don't get why you bring in another player to do the same thing.
seejaydeja
Lead Assistant
And1: 53

Post#555 » by seejaydeja » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:14 pm

Looks like Iverson wants to sign with NY...I'm betting this is done by Friday... Hopefully he has the same effect as he did in Detroit... Cross your fingers

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/ ... th_knicks/
jazzfan1971
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#556 » by jazzfan1971 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:16 pm

Well, the downside is low, if he becomes a problem you just cut him. But, I dont' see the upside being that high either. If he could help a team much at this point, why would NY be his only suitor?
edfmx86
Club Captain- MLS Soccer
And1: 199

Post#557 » by edfmx86 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:25 pm

is Iverson SO much of a cancer that he will ruin the Knicks? :s
Tabasco
Bench Warmer
And1: 185

Post#558 » by Tabasco » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:36 pm

erudite23 wrote:Iverson is a risky signing. What, exactly, is going to happen if/when things don't go well for him and he starts with the "poor me" act that he has gone into every time he hasn't gotten carte blanche from his team? The dude has to get 40mpg and 20 shots per game or he feels disrespected and abused and starts making trouble. There's a very good chance that this could make things worse. The team already has problems with selfish chuckers taking ill-timed and -advised shots. I don't get why you bring in another player to do the same thing.

It's only a risky signing for the Jazz. How is he going to make the Knicks any worse? They are atrocious. While Iverson is a selfish chucker, at least he's a good selfish chucker. He WILL make the Knicks better, and that's bad news for the Jazz. I really hope they don't end up signing him.
StocktonShorts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#559 » by StocktonShorts » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:01 pm

Tabasco wrote:While Iverson is a selfish chucker, at least he's a good selfish chucker.

If you're a selfish chucker you have to be flat-out phenomenal to outweigh the harm you do to your team by being so self-centered. That was the case for AI at the height of his career in Philly. I think it's no longer the case.
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,968

Post#560 » by Manhattan Project » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:53 pm

Tabasco wrote:
It's only a risky signing for the Jazz. How is he going to make the Knicks any worse? They are atrocious. While Iverson is a selfish chucker, at least he's a good selfish chucker. He WILL make the Knicks better, and that's bad news for the Jazz. I really hope they don't end up signing him.

That's why some people endorse the move, we can't get any worse.
- Possible youth movement stunted is the only downside. However I have to imagine that D'Antoni is going to realize that they give us the best chance to win.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Porter Jr l Marshall l Tucker
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones

Return to Utah Jazz