New York Watch thread. The race for the 2010 #1 pick.

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

jazzfan1971
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,130

Re: New York Watch thread. The race for the 2010 #1 pick. 

Post#661 » by jazzfan1971 » Fri Dec 4, 2009 5:36 pm

NY's current record: 4-15

NY's final record if win% is unchanged: 17-65
"Thibs called back and wanted more picks," said Jorge Sedano. "And Pat Riley, literally, I was told, called him a mother-bleeper and hung up the phone."
erudite23
Lead Assistant
And1: 659

Post#662 » by erudite23 » Fri Dec 4, 2009 6:55 pm

I think that would be a great move for us. Harrington isn't a good player by any stretch, but he does provide NY a shooting presence and offensive force when his shot is falling. Tyrus doesn't really have a niche in the NBA yet. He wants to be a small forward who can drop down and play the 4, but his jumper ranges from decent to awful. His defensive effort runs hot and cold and he doesn't make good decisions. He is a great finisher who might thrive in a system that allows him to get out and run and get easy buckets, but the Knicks aren't good enough passers to facilitate that kind of thing for him.

Still, I like TT as a player a lot and there's no question it would be an overall win for the Knicks, should they keep him long term. For this season, though, I do think that would be a better deal for us than for the Knicks.
OC Jazzfan
Senior
And1: 2

Post#663 » by OC Jazzfan » Sat Dec 5, 2009 2:41 am

Stupid Hawks.
schneiderjazz
Assistant Coach
And1: 19

Post#664 » by schneiderjazz » Sat Dec 5, 2009 3:04 am

**** the Hawks.
UTJazzFan_Echo1
Lead Assistant
And1: 279

Post#665 » by UTJazzFan_Echo1 » Sat Dec 5, 2009 3:19 am

wtf...the Knicks are actually good all a sudden...
Jerry Sloan >>>>>>>> Everything else.
@ndrew
Analyst
And1: 198

Post#666 » by @ndrew » Sat Dec 5, 2009 5:19 am

UTJazzFan_Echo1 wrote:wtf...the Knicks are actually good all a sudden...

Thats right. They are going to be at least 3rd team in nba. just pray iverson will do good for sixers.
erudite23
Lead Assistant

Post#667 » by erudite23 » Sat Dec 5, 2009 6:14 am

....and I'm officially worried.

I know it sounds ridiculous when talking about a 5-15 team (20 win pace) but them beating Phoenix and Atlanta twice in one week following a near miss AT Boston has to be disconcerting. Really, that beatdown against Sacto was the only time we've seen the team that started 1-9 recently. They've been decent otherwise.

HOWEVER....how many times this season is Chris Duhon going to post 25 and 10 with 4 3s, 60%+ FGs, and such? Let alone on a night when Free Candy scores 25 in one half and the whole team shoots nearly 60% from the field and 50% from 3 land.

I suppose any team can beat any other team when you are just shooting lights out, and the Knicks really were due. They've been shooting terrible so far. No team could keep up that horrible pace.

At least that's what I'm telling myself.
Knicksick
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#668 » by Knicksick » Sat Dec 5, 2009 11:43 am

quick question: Did you guys or your FO think of trading the pick packaged with Boozer for an all-star type of player?Right now you guys have enough leverage to sell it as a top 3 pick or at worst top 5 pick. That packaged with a 20/10 guy for an all-star type player would be a good deal. The other team would get a terrific rookie and a very good PF. I could envision Toronto being interested in such a deal---they'd get Boozer whom they would re-sign for big Bucks in the offseason and they'd add a good talent to the core of Bargnani,Turkoglu,Boozer,DeRozan,Calderon.

Such a deal would only be doable if Bosh agreed to sign an extension with the Jazz prior to the trade. But it would bring Bosh to a city where he doesn't have that big time pressure, he'd be playing with a terrific PG and a coach that knows how to form a PG/PF duo. He'd be on a constant playoff team that would emerge into contending status with him.

Toronto would avoid losing Bosh for nothing while keeping them competitive and building for the future.

Another idea would be: Pick+Okur+Harpring to Sacramento for Kevin Martin+Spencer Hawes.
Would give you a terrific SG and a very dangerous backcourt along with a young talented Center that can shoot it well but also block some shots.
Sacramento would hand the 2 guard over to Tyreke while adding a decent veteran to help the young guys and a top 5 pick. They'd be building around Thompson,Evans,pick.
homeboi21
Freshman

Post#669 » by homeboi21 » Sat Dec 5, 2009 4:58 pm

Even though the knicks record is 5-15 and some of those games they were just awful, but they are better then their record indicates. They lost a couple of games by 2 points or less or in over time and those were against teams such as the 76ers , bobcats, celtics and your utah jazz. i know the knicks have been pathetic the last decade, but they look a little rejuvenated in the last couple days and duhon has finally woken up.
Knicksick
Banned User

Post#670 » by Knicksick » Sat Dec 5, 2009 5:03 pm

Of course they look better--I mean if you start the season 1-9 and trail by 20 points in every game it is hard to not look better after a while. But they lack so man things that it makes it diffcult to win consistantly. No frontocurt defense,no good PG play,questionable shooters and defense overall, lack of go to scorer etc......
cjs55
Pro Prospect
And1: 17

Post#671 » by cjs55 » Sat Dec 5, 2009 5:55 pm

I would only trade this pick+Boozer for a legit center or a star. Brook Lopez would be the #1 option here, and maybe Oden/Bynum/Bogut, although they'd have to package more with them.

Martin is too injury prone.

Bosh isn't that much of an upgrade from Boozer and doesn't help us defensively. I'd rather keep our pick than do that deal.
carrottop12
RealGM
And1: 30

Post#672 » by carrottop12 » Sat Dec 5, 2009 7:06 pm

WTF Atlanta.
carrottop12
RealGM

Post#673 » by carrottop12 » Sat Dec 5, 2009 10:38 pm

Evan Turner who is projected to be a top 5 pick this year broke his back today on a dunk attempt and is going to miss 8 weeks. That sucks, I wanted to watch him play more. He'll still get in some time at the end of the season and into the tourney, but this could really hurt Ohio State.
Pai Gow
Lead Assistant
And1: 1

Post#674 » by Pai Gow » Sat Dec 5, 2009 11:20 pm

Damn, Even Turner was beating this year, that is to bad for him, hopefully he recovers nicely from it
carrottop12
RealGM

Post#675 » by carrottop12 » Sun Dec 6, 2009 12:33 am

erudite23 wrote:....and I'm officially worried.

I know it sounds ridiculous when talking about a 5-15 team (20 win pace) but them beating Phoenix and Atlanta twice in one week following a near miss AT Boston has to be disconcerting. Really, that beatdown against Sacto was the only time we've seen the team that started 1-9 recently. They've been decent otherwise.

HOWEVER....how many times this season is Chris Duhon going to post 25 and 10 with 4 3s, 60%+ FGs, and such? Let alone on a night when Free Candy scores 25 in one half and the whole team shoots nearly 60% from the field and 50% from 3 land.

I suppose any team can beat any other team when you are just shooting lights out, and the Knicks really were due. They've been shooting terrible so far. No team could keep up that horrible pace.

At least that's what I'm telling myself.

First of all, the loss to Boston was @ NY, not @ Boston, but that's neither here nor there.

Then, looking at Phoenix is a little strange when evaluating where the Knicks are for two reasons.

1. D'Antoni knowing every weakness of this Suns team.
2. Playing a team that allows you to run your exact system.

It's like when Don Nelson and the Warriors play the Suns, they just win those games. They know the players, they know the system, and it doesn't hurt that the Suns only shot 23% from 3 that game.

Then, looking at the Hawks, like you said that was just a matter of Duhon having the best game of his career and the Knicks shooting 57%.

Now, while I don't like what has happened, and I actually see them finishing the month at around 8-24 to 10-22.

Just a good week for the Knicks, and a fluke win in Atlanta. Just like the Wolves winning in Denver, or Charlotte winning in LA last year, it happens a couple of times a season, and it's more a fluke than a sign of things to come.
Paper Face
Pro Prospect
And1: 101

Post#676 » by Paper Face » Sun Dec 6, 2009 1:23 am

I'm so worried about the Hawks loss that I'm going to go eat a turkey sandwich.
sipclip - "Even though I love what I have seen from Mitchell if you were to ask anyone if they would rather have Booker and the 24th pick or Mitchell they would all take Booker and the pick."
The Sheik
General Manager

Post#677 » by The Sheik » Sun Dec 6, 2009 5:51 am

Would you guys trade the 2010 pick and say Millsap or Boozer for Kevin Love and a filler or bad contract. I honestly would. He is the perfect PF for our system IMO. He is good around the rim, exceptional rebounder, good in the p&r, has a mid-range game, good passer and is 21. Favors and Wall have a lot of potential, but with no guarantee of either guy I would sell for Love....I doubt Minny does it or even considers it unless its Millsap and the pick. Then again they did draft 2 PGs back to back in the lottery.
hotshotschamp
Rookie
And1: 14

Post#678 » by hotshotschamp » Sun Dec 6, 2009 6:49 am

Minny more likely to move Jefferson than Love.

Love is a guy they are going to build around.

Last year he averaged almost 10 rebs in 23 minutes or something, he is a rebounding machine, and adding an outside game this year, and his passing is great for a big man.
erudite23
Lead Assistant

Post#679 » by erudite23 » Sun Dec 6, 2009 7:57 pm

They would be crazy. Love isn't a good defender right now and his foot speed is even worse than Boozer's. Really, he is a very similar player to Boozer, but not the talent as a scorer that Booz is while being even better as a rebounder. I don't like the fit, cause we'd still be looking for that big defensive presence in the paint to pair alongside him. Lateral move to its core. Which is not to say that I don't really like Love. He is a great looking young guy.

I wonder if Portland would do a deal like that in return for Oden now that he's out with yet another injury. I would be interested.
truth serum
Banned User
And1: 35

Post#680 » by truth serum » Sun Dec 6, 2009 8:46 pm

Another win! Can't help but hate all of you for rooting against us so hard :)

The Knicks will make you pay. This team is starting to look a lot better and some of these guys' trade value is going up. You better hope Walsh doesn't pull off a good trade.

Check out the Knicks schedule for the next month or so. We've started this season with one of the toughest schedules in the league. The next month is FULL of games that the Knicks can and should win.

Return to Utah Jazz