What's your view on Wesley Matthews?

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

Millsap_24
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#1 » by Millsap_24 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:32 am

Now, he's starting SG for the Utah Jazz. I haven't been watching a lot Jazz games this season, so what's his playing style like? Is he a decent shooter? Good defender? Can people give me a breakdown on this guy?

It's amazing for a un-drafted rookie to start a SG over veteran guys like CJ Miles and Kyle Krover. Although it's tough to see brewer go, I really don't think it's a huge loss for this team.
Pai Gow
Lead Assistant
And1: 1

Re: What's your view on Wesley Matthews? 

Post#2 » by Pai Gow » Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:05 am

Well the 4 years of college is why Sloan prolly trusts him more than CJ at this point. We have seen Wesley close a bunch of games for us already.

I think as long as he plays off of Booz, D-Will and Andrei he is gonna fit into the starting lineup well. he doesn't demand the ball nor does he need it to be effective on both ends of the floor.

If any of you follow Locke on facebook you'll notice his little updates he usually does about Matthews when he is guarding the other teams "usually" top 2-guard. He always holds them to below their season average on very poor field goal percentage.

If he can find his niche as being our defensive stopper while hitting the open J ala Bruce Bowen than we are really gonna have something here. As gloomy as it looked to start the season with both KK and CJ on injured list, we really lucked out finding a guy like Matthews and getting him on the roster.
Batu7
Starter
And1: 248

Post#3 » by Batu7 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:34 am

He is the only reason why I'm not that upset Brewer's gone.
"I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious."

- Vince Lombardi
Ming Kong!
RealGM
And1: 31

Post#4 » by Ming Kong! » Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:34 pm

Batu7 wrote:He is the only reason why I'm not that upset Brewer's gone.

True, and the fact of the matter is that Korver and Mathews needed extra minutes. Maybe even Miles will get better as he gets a bigger role.
seejaydeja
Lead Assistant
And1: 53

Post#5 » by seejaydeja » Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:57 pm

Wes has displayed a tenacity and knack for hustle that is really hard to find in this league. He reminds me a lot of Sap last season. He does everything Sloan loves in a player and that's why he's starting. I'm hoping that if the Jazz bring him back next season he doesn't settle under the weight of a secure contract.
jazzfan1971
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,134

Post#6 » by jazzfan1971 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:40 pm

I idon't see him being a good add except for in deep leagues.
"Thibs called back and wanted more picks," said Jorge Sedano. "And Pat Riley, literally, I was told, called him a mother-bleeper and hung up the phone."
erudite23
Lead Assistant
And1: 659

Post#7 » by erudite23 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:50 pm

This team has been needing that Bruce Bowen type desperately. A guy without an ego who thinks defense first but isn't so much of a liability that teams don't have to be honest in guarding him. If Matthews can be that guy....I mean, I can't even say how huge that would be for us. We need that more than anything. We are a team full of offensive minded players. I don't think you win championships with that kind of team. If we could find a way to get one defensive minded big and one defensive minded wing, I think we have every other thing we need to win it all. If Matthews can grow into the perimeter defender/shooter that we need and we can get an Aldrich/Favors/Cousins type in the draft to clog the lane and rebound, it will be game on for the next 4 seasons, because this team has everything else in place to dominate if they can get those two pieces.

Obviously, Matthews is still young and rarely does a player come in right away and become a top notch defender. That's usually the province of veterans. If he doesn't plateau and continues to make progress, I see the right mindset and enough physical gifts, along with his innate sense for the game, to become that type of player. Impossible to predict, though.
carrottop12
RealGM
And1: 30

Post#8 » by carrottop12 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:20 pm

He's the best man defender on the Jazz, and his offensive game is a solid, despite being the worst in the starting line up. He's a better shooter than Brewer but not as good of a finisher. He's takes better shots than CJ, but is less likely to have CJ's 10+ point quarters.
outerspacefella
Analyst
And1: 73

Post#9 » by outerspacefella » Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:51 pm

My view on Matthwes requires to see how he reacts to playoff basketball. Untill then I think I won't be ready to spell my take on him. He certainly has the drive and the tools, and he's been a very nice surprise if you think that, back in time at training camp, all Jazz fans were thinking an inactive dude or an eternal bench warmer with no PT.
So the Jury's still on duty methinks.... even if it has to be conceded that he really looks like a guy who belongs on an NBA court.
TexFTW
Sophomore

Post#10 » by TexFTW » Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:11 pm

He can get it done.

He is a pretty decent defender and he is a pretty underrated shooter in my opinion. He is not unidimentional. His averages are not that shiny because he's playing time is pretty limited. But that is a great thing because if he plays more minutes and really excel he will demand more money than the Jazz is willing to pay next season. What I would like to see is him distributing the ball better.
Reckless
Analyst
And1: 564

Post#11 » by Reckless » Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:38 am

He's got the spotlight on him now, i'm interested to see how he plays
DFO
Sophomore

Post#12 » by DFO » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:22 am

He's also 5 months older than CJ.

They compliment each other as 2 guards. Matthews more of a stopper with limited offensive game (decent perimeter shooter), whereas CJ is a streak shooter who can also create offence for others with his creative passing.
drivewayball
Suspended
And1: 68

Post#13 » by drivewayball » Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:26 pm

My view of Wesley Matthews is that he represents a lot of good qualities but probably ranks as the worst starting two guard in the NBA. In fairness to Wesley, Brewer was pretty close to the bottom as well. Scoring guard and center when Okur plays it are not positions that the jazz can take pride in.

Return to Utah Jazz