OKC Thunder 2023-24 Regular Season Discussion

Moderators: retrobro90, Dadouv47

Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 6,302

Re: OKC Thunder 2023-24 Regular Season Discussion 

Post#2881 » by Dadouv47 » Fri May 3, 2024 8:14 pm

cjmcallist wrote:If KD comes back I'm switching teams. No joke.

Also, if we don't extend Giddey, we have ~$54m in cap space next offseason. We'll see how extensions play out, but the 2025 class looks pretty good so far.

My main point is that we don't have to - and should not - use our space this summer on KD.

it's already difficult enough to attract FAs in OKC so waiting another year would be crazy. We also don't know how many of those attractive players will end up extending their contrat. I don't think we will have 54 millions in cap space because we are likely at least declining option and extending one of Isaiah Joe or Wiggins...well at least that would be the smartest thing to do. Agree about Durant obviously because I don't want him back.
Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,539

Post#2882 » by Kizz Fastfists » Fri May 3, 2024 8:20 pm

Also, if we don't extend Giddey, we have ~$54m in cap space next offseason. We'll see how extensions play out, but the 2025 class looks pretty good so far.

My main point is that we don't have to - and should not - use our space this summer on KD.

I don't think they can resign Giddey this off-season unless they offer him a max contract. Why would Giddey sign for less instead of betting on himself? He can go into next off-season as a RFA and some team will offer him a big contract. He might not get offered a max contract, but there will be a team that is interested enough in him as a primary ball handler to offer him 25M+. The max will be around $36M.
"The secret to success is to offend the greatest number of people." -George Bernard Shaw
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#2883 » by Dadouv47 » Fri May 3, 2024 8:24 pm

Kizz Fastfists wrote:

I don't think they can resign Giddey this off-season unless they offer him a max contract. Why would Giddey sign for less instead of betting on himself? He can go into next off-season as a RFA and some team will offer him a big contract. He might not get offered a max contract, but there will be a team that is interested enough in him as a primary ball handler to offer him 25M+. The max will be around $36M.

You start saying there's no way he doesn't sign for less than the max then u say that he might not get more than 25M...this is weird.

He should be happy if a team offers him 25m which would already be a big overpay but might be worth the gamble in one or two franchises...I don't think a team would be crazy enough to max him.
Big nick
Senior
And1: 352

Post#2884 » by Big nick » Fri May 3, 2024 8:36 pm

I don't think I could support okc if they brought back kd also just can't stand cupcake.
cjmcallist
Sixth Man
And1: 752

Post#2885 » by cjmcallist » Fri May 3, 2024 8:44 pm

Dadouv47 wrote:
Kizz Fastfists wrote:

You start saying there's no way he doesn't sign for less than the max then u say that he might not get more than 25M...this is weird.

He should be happy if a team offers him 25m which would already be a big overpay but might be worth the gamble in one or two franchises...I don't think a team would be crazy enough to max him.

I don't know what his value is. I would imagine he'll get $25 pretty easily though. The new world is very different than the old one. Maybe a $32m descending 5 yr. contract?

I agree that Giddey won't take a bargain deal, but after an up and down year he would be smart to at least consider locking up long term guaranteed money.
cjmcallist
Sixth Man
And1: 752

Post#2886 » by cjmcallist » Fri May 3, 2024 8:46 pm

Dadouv47 wrote:

it's already difficult enough to attract FAs in OKC so waiting another year would be crazy. We also don't know how many of those attractive players will end up extending their contrat. I don't think we will have 54 millions in cap space because we are likely at least declining option and extending one of Isaiah Joe or Wiggins...well at least that would be the smartest thing to do. Agree about Durant obviously because I don't want him back.

Good point - if we can get someone this offseason (trade or otherwise) we should do it. No need to wait.
Big nick
Senior
And1: 352

Post#2887 » by Big nick » Fri May 3, 2024 9:11 pm

I believe giddy will extend for less this was where he wanted to get drafted to.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#2888 » by Dadouv47 » Fri May 3, 2024 9:18 pm

Big nick wrote:I believe giddy will extend for less this was where he wanted to get drafted to.

if he's willing to come off the bench, maybe.

but yeah it sucks to trade a player that really like our team.
Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,539

Post#2889 » by Kizz Fastfists » Fri May 3, 2024 9:23 pm

Dadouv47 wrote:You start saying there's no way he doesn't sign for less than the max then u say that he might not get more than 25M...this is weird.

Why is that weird? If he signs this off-season for $20M he negates any chance at a bigger payday and eliminates any chance at a bidding war or letting his agent create the illusion of one. If he comes out next season with drastically improved 3pt shooting he can play his way to max contract. He might only get $25M next off-season if he doesn't take another step forward, but if he has a Dejounte Murray fluke contract season he'll get at least one max offer. It only takes one team desperate enough to offer him a max. Even Kanter got a max offer that Presti matched and he was garbage.

If your employer offered you with a contract for five years at a rate that you could easily match on the open market and probably beat would you sign? Would you laugh and tell him you'll shop your services around and get back to him? Signing this off-season surrenders any chance at a bigger payday without exploring it. Why would you intentionally sabotage your earning potential like that?
"The secret to success is to offend the greatest number of people." -George Bernard Shaw
Devilanche
Head Coach
And1: 1,601

Post#2890 » by Devilanche » Sat May 4, 2024 4:45 am

Big nick wrote:I believe giddy will extend for less this was where he wanted to get drafted to.

Not a year early though .

A year early he will want what he thinks is his market.
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:No I’m myopic and shortsighted and I want my pile of draft picks.
Bremzi
Sophomore
And1: 71

Post#2891 » by Bremzi » Sat May 4, 2024 6:09 am

There is likely no way that OKC has 54 mil cap space next year. Giddey, Wiggins and Joe will get some type of contract extrnsion and theres no way Sam lets all 3 of them go. Jaylin Williams will also possibly be resigned. Moreover, OKC likely gets a 1st this year and then some picks next year as well.

The time to bring in someone is this year’s free agency. That someone also probably shouldnt have more than 2 years guaranteed if Sam wants to have a semi clean slate on salary cap in 2026. Tough to say who fits the criteria, but waiting would be detrimental. If Sam extends all those mentioned above next year, then there will be 0 cap space instead od 30-35ish this year.
Zagor
Junior
And1: 115

Post#2892 » by Zagor » Sat May 4, 2024 7:55 am

In series with Dallas, biggest problems will be those lobs for Gafford. They not only get points from that but also big energy and motivation.

In offense, Thunder should target Luka whenever they can. He is bad defender and he is also preserving energy for offense.

Thunder can win but it's crucial to stay focused and smart. If the game move into chaotic situation, Dallas will be in advantage because Luka and Kyrie are better creators then our best players.
Mr Thunder Nick
Junior
And1: 90

Post#2893 » by Mr Thunder Nick » Sat May 4, 2024 8:13 am

K.Erving did a fantastic defensive Job this night. Especially against PG13. So I suppose he will play against SGA and therefor the other guys have to step up even more then they do already. JDub will get more importance in this series. Also is it important to get Luka tired during the game. Let him work as much as possible. On whom will Dort play defense? Erving or Doncic an who will play against the other one? A lot of questions, I know. Lets go Thunder
Zagor
Junior
And1: 115

Post#2894 » by Zagor » Sat May 4, 2024 9:04 am

If Kyrie is going to defend Shai, then Shai should just post up him every action.

About Dort.... I think he's better suited for defending Luka.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#2895 » by Dadouv47 » Sat May 4, 2024 11:25 am

a bit offtopic but tons of decisions / uncertainties for the Clippers, Sixers and Miami during the offseason that could impact our picks.
bbms
Analyst
And1: 594

Post#2896 » by bbms » Sat May 4, 2024 5:40 pm

i think giddey is a bit underrated here

for the second straight year he's having a much stronger late than early season which is an underrated trait to a player's projection imo

not to mention he's younger than jalen williams adjusting to a new continent. also the mental toll of the scrutiny he's put himself into this season shouldn't go unchecked by clubs

i think he'd do good for himself if he made a club friendly extension negotiation. maybe a shorter commitment is the ideal for him, if he's willing to bet on himself.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#2897 » by Dadouv47 » Sat May 4, 2024 5:59 pm

bbms wrote:i think giddey is a bit underrated here

for the second straight year he's having a much stronger late than early season which is an underrated trait to a player's projection imo

not to mention he's younger than jalen williams adjusting to a new continent. also the mental toll of the scrutiny he's put himself into this season shouldn't go unchecked by clubs

i think he'd do good for himself if he made a club friendly extension negotiation. maybe a shorter commitment is the ideal for him, if he's willing to bet on himself.

yeah but the issue is that he's stronger when Shai and/or JDub are out. I do agree that Giddey is underrated and I like him a lot. He's still very young as u mentioned and can improve several aspects of his game. I just hate the long term fit for him next to Shai and JDub and Dort is a more reliable piece than Giddey despite having a lower ceiling. He needs to be the primary ball handler to be really valuable and it won't happen in OKC except if we switch our rotation and he leads our second unit.
bbms
Analyst
And1: 594

Post#2898 » by bbms » Sat May 4, 2024 6:58 pm

Dadouv47 wrote:He needs to be the primary ball handler to be really valuable.

i don't think any good team is going to give that to him in the nba. of course he's still adjusting but his nba role (for good teams) is definitely an all around offensive connector imo. mainly because the ball in the nba is dominated by players that can be explosive scorers.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#2899 » by Dadouv47 » Sat May 4, 2024 7:02 pm

bbms wrote:
Dadouv47 wrote:He needs to be the primary ball handler to be really valuable.

i don't think any good team is going to give that to him in the nba. of course he's still adjusting but his nba role (for good teams) is definitely an all around offensive connector imo. mainly because the ball in the nba is dominated by players that can be explosive scorers.

Brooklyn lack a true PG for example. They have tons of wings that can shoot from three. I think Giddey would be great there. Same with Utah...fit with Lauri and Keyonte George would be nice. But yeah he isn't good enough to be the primary ball handler for a contending team.
Bremzi
Sophomore
And1: 71

Post#2900 » by Bremzi » Sat May 4, 2024 7:42 pm

I dont think Giddey can get 25 mil a year in his current state. You hear ‘some teams’ will offer it, but not many teams have that kind of cap space. Those that do, they arent anywhere near contention. With as good of a team as OKC has, the guys knows that they cant all earn max contracts. At a certain point this season, we were discussing how low his value is.

So many posters just come up with huge numbers because of some peculiarities (like Joes 3pt %). Giddey does a lot of things well, but isnt amazing at any. He reminds me of a guy like his copatriot Joe Ingles. He can likely get somewhere in the 15-20 mil range a season - which is a potential 5 year 75-100 mil contract!! I’m not sure Presti will offer that asap anyway. But if he does, why would Giddey go anywhrre else? Because Detroit at the bottom of the standings offered him a 4y/100mil deal? And thats a huge question mark. We shouldnt overrate people and expect that all of them will earn crazy money. At this point Giddey isnt a top3 player on the team and likely wont be. Those guys dont get paid over 25mil annually.

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder