Re: OKC Thunder 2023-24 Regular Season Discussion 

Post#2941 » by bbms » Wed May 8, 2024 4:01 am

insane to see a player of kenrich's caliber just not crack the rotation
RingoKid
Junior
And1: 62

Post#2942 » by RingoKid » Wed May 8, 2024 4:09 am

Daaaaammmmnnn!!!...that 4th quarter was impressive.

Well played coaches and team.
Bremzi
Sophomore
And1: 71

Post#2943 » by Bremzi » Wed May 8, 2024 7:33 am

A defensive masterpiece by the Thunder. Could sagg off off DJJ and Green more than Mavs could sagg off of any OKC player. Glad that Giddey had limited playing time, he finished -7 in those 17 mins. He is a good player, just seems a bad fit vs this particular Dallas team.

To hold Doncic to 6/19 shooting with only 1 (reverse) layup is as good as it can get. The help defense was excellent for the roller Mavs bigs. Let's see how teams try to adjust, but I saw OKC as much better overall, since they can play 5 out at all times offensively.
RingoKid
Junior

Post#2944 » by RingoKid » Wed May 8, 2024 7:41 am

Bremzi wrote:Glad that Giddey had limited playing time, he finished -7 in those 17 mins. He is a good player, just seems a bad fit vs this particular Dallas team.

If Giddey can't take a gimpy Luka off the dribble and score one on one, his minutes are gonna come down even more.
cjmcallist
Sixth Man
And1: 757

Post#2945 » by cjmcallist » Wed May 8, 2024 11:00 am

We’re just a better team all around. Luka/Kyrie still make me nervous, but we seem to be a level above them across the board.

Gafford/Lively aren’t a problem if we don’t foul. Everyone did a great job of being straight up last night.

Feeling good right now.
cjmcallist
Sixth Man
And1: 757

Post#2946 » by cjmcallist » Wed May 8, 2024 11:01 am

RingoKid wrote:
Bremzi wrote:Glad that Giddey had limited playing time, he finished -7 in those 17 mins. He is a good player, just seems a bad fit vs this particular Dallas team.

If Giddey can't take a gimpy Luka off the dribble and score one on one, his minutes are gonna come down even more.

Still a Giddey believer, but last night was rough for him. Daigneault had a quick trigger though.
shakes0
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,984

Post#2947 » by shakes0 » Wed May 8, 2024 1:01 pm

Great win!

At the end of the day, the big difference between the two teams is that OKC's two best wing players are also great defensive players whereas Dallas' two best wing players are strictly one way players. And the offensive gap between Kyrie/Luka vs SGA/JDub is miniscule (if it exists at all) where as the defensive gap is miles wide.

Throw in that OKC also has the best big man in the series and it sure looks like Dallas is completely over matched here.
mr570
Senior
And1: 304

Post#2948 » by mr570 » Wed May 8, 2024 2:06 pm

Can’t believe we’re going to extended and bump Wiggins into a starting role and then snag Claxton in the off season what a time to be alive!
Bremzi
Sophomore
And1: 71

Post#2949 » by Bremzi » Wed May 8, 2024 2:22 pm

mr570 wrote:Can’t believe we’re going to extended and bump Wiggins into a starting role and then snag Claxton in the off season what a time to be alive!

Any source? :D
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 6,319

Post#2950 » by Dadouv47 » Wed May 8, 2024 5:45 pm

Not a Jwill believer but he was able to contribute pretty well yesterday...very happy to see this.

Game 2 gonna be tricky as hell. I'm worried about that game but think it will be difficult for Dallas to come back into this series if we win.
Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,540

Post#2951 » by Kizz Fastfists » Wed May 8, 2024 6:39 pm

Dallas is in trouble. Luka having a bum left ankle will reduce his impact even more, which has been limited since he hurt his right knee against LAC. Luka's 3pt shooting has been terrible since he hurt his knee. Kleber being out is a big deal as it prevents Dallas from being able to run effective smaller lineups and reduces the impact of their big lineups because outside of Gafford and Kleber they don't have a big that can switch onto guards and not get completely abused. Kleber being out is similar to Jaylin going down for OKC. It would hurt significantly as Chet/Jaylin on the floor together presents a bigger lineup option for OKC without giving up too much athleticism and Jaylin at center helps them rest Chet without eliminating options for an inside presence while maintaining their spacing. If you had to play Biyombo instead it would destroy the offensive flow and no one else from the bench can have the inside and outside presence on both ends that Jaylin offers.

Gafford and Lively present some issues, but without Luka being healthy they are not disruptive enough to carry Dallas. I'm not sure how Dallas generates enough offense with Luka hobbled and their defense isn't good enough to carry them if they can't generate consistent offense. Going bigger isn't going to help Dallas as Lively can't switch onto wings effectively.
"The secret to success is to offend the greatest number of people." -George Bernard Shaw
shakes0
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,984

Post#2952 » by shakes0 » Wed May 8, 2024 8:00 pm

and to answer the question I'm sure you are all wondering about, no I was not able to stay awake for the entire game lol. Called it quits at the end of the 3rd, but got up a little early today and watched the 4th quarter before going to work. Rinse and repeat on Thursday.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#2953 » by Dadouv47 » Wed May 8, 2024 8:04 pm

Still worried about Shai's health. I'm biased because I was worried about it before the regular season ended but I just think he's having a hard time to come back at 100% and it's the second game in a row that he was having some issues. He won't cry like Luka but it's still concerning.
Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,540

Post#2954 » by Kizz Fastfists » Wed May 8, 2024 8:18 pm

Dadouv47 wrote:Still worried about Shai's health. I'm biased because I was worried about it before the regular season ended but I just think he's having a hard time to come back at 100% and it's the second game in a row that he was having some issues. He won't cry like Luka but it's still concerning.

I think that will be a bigger issue against Minny than Dallas. OKC has enough matchup advantages against Dallas with JDub and Chet plus the number of shooters they can throw out there that I don't think Dallas can stop them consistently given their defensive matchup issues and offensive issues with Luka hobbled and Kleber out. Minny will be an entirely different animal given their defense and size along with their numerous offensive weapons. Minny's dismantling of Denver on the road was surprising.
"The secret to success is to offend the greatest number of people." -George Bernard Shaw
RingoKid
Junior

Post#2955 » by RingoKid » Wed May 8, 2024 8:50 pm

Dadouv47 wrote:Still worried about Shai's health. I'm biased because I was worried about it before the regular season ended but I just think he's having a hard time to come back at 100% and it's the second game in a row that he was having some issues. He won't cry like Luka but it's still concerning.

SuGA looks fine to me as long as he's drawing them 'superstar' fouls. Sure, he's a little banged up. Most everyone is and it only gets worse the deeper the playoff run.

I honestly thought Chet 'Homegrown' would be way worse for wear having to bang against Valanciunas but the kid proved me wrong.

For me, Chet is the key. Losing SuGA would be a big deal, losing Homegrown an even bigger one.

J-Will, Biz and Muscrat ain't gonna fill that hole!
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#2956 » by Dadouv47 » Wed May 8, 2024 8:53 pm

Kizz Fastfists wrote:

I think that will be a bigger issue against Minny than Dallas. OKC has enough matchup advantages against Dallas with JDub and Chet plus the number of shooters they can throw out there that I don't think Dallas can stop them consistently given their defensive matchup issues and offensive issues with Luka hobbled and Kleber out. Minny will be an entirely different animal given their defense and size along with their numerous offensive weapons. Minny's dismantling of Denver on the road was surprising.

I still think Dallas will improve and have some good games. If SGA can play like game 1 during all series, it might be enough yeah but he was hurt late in the game and we would need December/January SGA to have a shot at a Finals run.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#2957 » by Dadouv47 » Wed May 8, 2024 8:56 pm

Dort became an amazing role player. Kind of player you hate to face and love to have on your team. His BBIQ improved so much...credits to him and to our coaching staff.
RingoKid
Junior

Post#2958 » by RingoKid » Wed May 8, 2024 9:13 pm

Dadouv47 wrote:Dort became an amazing role player. Kind of player you hate to face and love to have on your team...

I miss that about watching Steven Adams game.

Can't believe he's been 2 years outta the league and have no idea who or what he'll be when he gets back. Vet presence off the bench and cheerleading locker room guy in Houston doesn't do him justice.

I don't know that i can root for Houston solely for his sake cos of the PatBev Russ knee thing and all those Jimmy Pubeface years of hook fouls and ref baiting...UGGGGGHHHH!!!

I hold sports grudges way longer than i need to. Thankfully it's just a healthy distraction. Got no real hate for the players but got no respect for some too.

LuDo earns every bit of it from his play, to his demeanour, to his work ethic and to his commitiment to the vibe.

How he doesn't get a look in for DPOY is also beyond me!
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#2959 » by Dadouv47 » Wed May 8, 2024 9:23 pm

Chet is so hungry too. I was surprised how he was celebrating after some plays. I hate to say this because of that stupid bark stuff but he got that "dog in him"
RingoKid
Junior

Post#2960 » by RingoKid » Wed May 8, 2024 10:35 pm

Dadouv47 wrote:Chet is so hungry too. I was surprised how he was celebrating after some plays. I hate to say this because of that stupid bark stuff but he got that "dog in him"

Thunder vibe is reminiscent of Memphis before The Funaki went down and the front office traded chemistry for supposed talent upgrades and to accomodate Morant's superstar extension.

It's sad to see what happened there!

Coach Jenkins has been exposed as a regular season guy who relied on talent and couldn't cut it in the post season. I have no idea how hes still got a job with the Grizz.

Adams and Dylan Brooks were the heart and soul of that team. Without them its the Ja Morant ego flashing highlight reel with a clueless Jackson jr losing the plot and his defensive chops with out Adams holding the centre and Bane taking on too much pressure without Brooks doing it as the release valve with his 'villain' antics.

Maybe there's a cautionary tale there for OKC, but with Coach Dags, Presti and SuGA being more grounded and talented the ceiling is through the roof for this Thunder iteration.

I think Grizz maxed out theirs and now need to raise the floor with a total front office and coaching clearout. I just can't see that Jenkins can coach Morant to greater heights or that Kleiman can recreate chemistry/vibe through the draft or trades.

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder