What do you guys think about this trade?

Moderators: retrobro90, Dadouv47

BlaZeN27
Sixth Man
And1: 0

What do you guys think about this trade? 

Post#1 » by BlaZeN27 » Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:49 am

Luke Ridnour doesnt play much, and has a pretty big contract for a backup. I also heard that he hates the owner, and wants to be traded ASAP.

How would you OKC fans feel about this trade?

Ricky Davis S&T (1 year, 4 million dollar deal with a team option)
Dorel Wright (2.9 million, 1 year)
2009 2nd Round Pick

For

Luke Ridnour

Ricky gives you a scorer off your bench, but his biggest value comes in giving you more cap room next year. Dorel Wright has some talent, and still has some upside, hes a pretty good defender and athlete. You guys could either re-sign him after this year or let him go and gain 7 million in extra cap space.
Joe Jackson
Analyst

Re: What do you guys think about this trade? 

Post#2 » by Joe Jackson » Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:21 am

no, thanks.

He is worth a little more.
wizkid27
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 166

Post#3 » by wizkid27 » Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:29 pm

I would do that deal just for Wright. Davis has been considered a bit of a cancer in most places he's played, so it might be hold him out of the deal or we'd just cut him. But I think due to a few different factors, Ridnour will not be a long-term piece of the team. Wright has looked pretty good at times and would definitely help out the rebuilding effort.
BadWolf
General Manager
And1: 3,278

Post#4 » by BadWolf » Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:15 pm

Joe Jackson wrote:no, thanks.

Really? Who's gonna give you more?
I'd also do it for Wright and any expiring filler, and that's probably overpaying.
wizkid27
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by wizkid27 » Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:02 pm

If I had Wright... there is NO WAY I'd give him up for Ridnour. He's a great prospect who has both shown that he can play wing at a decently high level and also that he may be able to play at a VERY high level. Ridnour, meanwhile has proven that he can be a decent backup PG.
bmw42690
Sophomore

Post#6 » by bmw42690 » Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:51 pm

I think its a decent deal. If they dont work out they are one year deals so you can just let them go at the end of the season. I think Wright would be a good young player to add to the mix.
Joe Jackson
Analyst

Post#7 » by Joe Jackson » Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:39 pm

BadWolf wrote:

I'd also do it for Wright and any expiring filler, and that's probably overpaying

He's a decent backup PG which is something there are always teams looking for.
Miami for one right now.
They for one could give more. We don't have to take their offer, they came in here asking about our player so we need to inform him what it will take to get what they want from us.

First of all, we want Wright which is the only reason we would even talk to them.
Then Ridenour will make $6.5 million, so we want the 25% plus the $100,000 differential in the deal meaning we will only take back about about $5.2 million in contracts. So if Wright makes $2.9 they have to get Davis signed and send him for about $2.3 million. Or come up with somebody else.

Finally and crucial is don't come offering a useless 2nd round pick like it is some incentive. Anybody gets a player out of the second round it is just a shot in the dark.
We want your 1st round pick - lets say top 10 protected - and we'll send you our 2nd rounder.

Fair counter offer.
ljp24
Bench Warmer
And1: 21

Post#8 » by ljp24 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:10 pm

Joe Jackson wrote:
BadWolf wrote:

I'd also do it for Wright and any expiring filler, and that's probably overpaying

Miami for one right now.
They for one could give more. We don't have to take their offer, they came in here asking about our player so we need to inform him what it will take to get what they want from us.

First of all, we want Wright which is the only reason we would even talk to them.
Then Ridenour will make $6.5 million, so we want the 25% plus the $100,000 differential in the deal meaning we will only take back about about $5.2 million in contracts. So if Wright makes $2.9 they have to get Davis signed and send him for about $2.3 million. Or come up with somebody else.

Finally and crucial is don't come offering a useless 2nd round pick like it is some incentive. Anybody gets a player out of the second round it is just a shot in the dark.
We want your 1st round pick - lets say top 10 protected - and we'll send you our 2nd rounder.

Fair counter offer.

Miami has Williams and Banks.
Joe Jackson
Analyst

Post#9 » by Joe Jackson » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:32 pm

Miami for one right now.

Fair counter offer.[/quote]

Miami has Williams and Banks.[/quote]

Both of whom they are trying to dump.
And quite understandably so.
BlaZeN27
Sixth Man

Post#10 » by BlaZeN27 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:38 am

Lol, Williams is gone. We have Banks who's a solid backup and were super high on Chalmers.

But we still want a vet back-up PG.

A first rounder is fair? I wouldn't give up a 1st for Luke straight up, like you said. Hes a backup PG who is over paid.
wizkid27
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by wizkid27 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:56 am

Agree with you BlaZeN27... I think at this point Luke is probably good for a salary cap dump or maybe a 2nd rounder... Why give up a first for a fairly highly paid backup?
Joe Jackson
Analyst

Post#12 » by Joe Jackson » Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:07 am

BlaZeN27 wrote:Lol, Williams is gone. We have Banks who's a solid backup and were super high on Chalmers.

But we still want a vet back-up PG.

A first rounder is fair? I wouldn't give up a 1st for Luke straight up, like you said. Hes a backup PG who is over paid.

Ok. We'll take Wright and a 2nd rounder and Davis signed for $2.3 mil or some other filler to give us a little cap relief.
BlaZeN27
Sixth Man

Post#13 » by BlaZeN27 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:05 am

Wright is cheap, backup SF who's ceiling is higher the Ridnour's. How is that not a fair deal?
Joe Jackson
Analyst

Post#14 » by Joe Jackson » Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:43 am

BlaZeN27 wrote:Wright is cheap, backup SF who's ceiling is higher the Ridnour's. How is that not a fair deal?

You have to meet the salary cap. So we have to take Davis, who we don't want, so you have to give us a pick for compensation.
Besides, you're the ones who want to trade and are getting what you need in a legitimate nba PG.
Radiohead311
Senior

Post#15 » by Radiohead311 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:52 am

Dude Dorell Wright is a restricted free agent. Why even involve Ricky Davis to make the numbers match? If you want Wright then just sign Wright for 4.5-5 million and hope Miami doesn't match or do a S&T with Miami.

I like Wright a lot but this team doesn't need another SF anyway.

As for Luke i'd rather just trade him to the Knicks for Malik Roses expiring contract and a 2nd rounder.
BlaZeN27
Sixth Man

Post#16 » by BlaZeN27 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:16 am

Uhhhh, so you don't have to over pay Wright?

You act as if Ricky is bad, coming off the bench hes decent. Especially for a young team like you guys, and he would only be here for one year.
Joe Jackson
Analyst

Post#17 » by Joe Jackson » Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:16 am

Radiohead311 wrote:Dude Dorell Wright is a restricted free agent. Why even involve Ricky Davis to make the numbers match? If you want Wright then just sign Wright for 4.5-5 million and hope Miami doesn't match or do a S&T with Miami.

I like Wright a lot but this team doesn't need another SF anyway.

As for Luke i'd rather just trade him to the Knicks for Malik Roses expiring contract and a 2nd rounder.

Mainly because this thread started with Miami interests coming in wanting to trade for Luke and that aspect has been the focal point of the entire thread with Wright being offered as a trading piece. Dude.
Radiohead311
Senior

Post#18 » by Radiohead311 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:39 am

BlaZeN27 wrote:Uhhhh, so you don't have to over pay Wright?

You act as if Ricky is bad, coming off the bench hes decent. Especially for a young team like you guys, and he would only be here for one year.

NO WAY to Ricky Davis being an influence on a young team. NEVER. He's is a talent but i've never liked his attitude. No young team needs a guy like him around. If he were to be involved in your S&T scenario he should be cut immediately.

So IF this team were to be interested and Wright, (and I have no clue why they would be since he would be playing behind Durant) Paying 5 million to Wright and Davis isn't overpaying, yet just flat out giving Wright the 5 million is overpaying? What's the difference?

The Thundercats don't NEED Dorell Wright especially since he's due for a contract extention and because he would be buried on the bench. Trade him to a team that needs a SF, we're pretty set at that position.

On the other hand a S&T of Ricky Davis and Daequan Cook for Ridnour would make much more sense. What do you think about that? Didn't think so.
BlaZeN27
Sixth Man

Post#19 » by BlaZeN27 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:12 am

Woah.

First off, Durant plays SG so you do need a backup SF if he stays there.

Second off, I doubt you could sign Wright to a ONE year deal worth like 5 million, he wants like 3 million a year for atleast a few years.

Third off, I would easily trade Cook instead of Wright. He's a pure SG, he can't play PG and he can't play SF. It just so happens our best player is a SG.

I would do Cook and Davis as well.
Radiohead311
Senior

Post#20 » by Radiohead311 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:04 pm

I would trade Ridnour for Cook and filler in a heartbeat.

I'd rather just trade Ridnour for and expiring contract than to take on Wright. We can get someone better than Wright with the extra 6.5 million in cap space next summer.

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder