OKC Thunder Trades and Transaction Thread

Moderators: Dadouv47, retrobro90

Clav
Starter
And1: 1,881

Re: OKC Thunder Trades and Transaction Thread 

Post#1561 » by Clav » Mon May 20, 2024 5:35 pm

I am unsure about Bey. he had an ACL injury so he would be out until ASB ish. He's not a great defender.

Nwora I'm okay with, Craig is cheap likely but I'm not thrilled

No to Reddish plz. Stevens the same.
Cheers
\m/
:guitar:
Bremzi
Sophomore
And1: 81

Post#1562 » by Bremzi » Mon May 20, 2024 5:54 pm

Allen, Claxton, Lauri, DJJ, Hartenstein, Capela, possibly another rookie center. Need to get bigger and play Chet at PF a large amount.

We got outrebounded by double digits and lost close games. Cant have a center grabbing 3 boards.
Woerzboerg
Sophomore
And1: 79

Post#1563 » by Woerzboerg » Mon May 20, 2024 7:49 pm

I propose the following moves to fix OKCs Problems this offseason:

1. Trade Josh Giddey, Lindy Waters and 2-3 Secondroundpicks for Wendell Carter Jr. (maybe in a 3-way-trade if Orlando doesn't like Giddey, but they could use some ballhandling)

WCJ provides solid shooting and ±10 rebounds per 36. He is the ideal backup for Chet and could also play next to him. He also has a team-friendly contract until 2026, the moment when Chets and JDubs extensions kick in.

2. Trade Ousmane Dieng, Kenrich Williams, Pick #12 and Phillys 2025 Firstroundpick for Deni Avdija (if not enough, add Miamis 2025 Firstroundpick).

Avdija brings length, shooting and better D to the starting 5, where he should replace Giddey. His contract is enormously team friendly, with overall 55 million $ over the next four years; also the money is declinig per every year. Also, he is a young player who can improve in the next years, something Presti likes.

Instead of Avdija, Presti could also go for Mikal Bridges. Although overall Bridges is the better player (for now, at least), I opted for Avdija because he will be cheaper, provides more size and has a better contract.

Then there should be a remaining cap-space of around 40 million $, if you renounce Hayward et al (what Presti should do).

So, then...

3. Trade Utahs 2025 Firstroundpick for Collin Sexton and absorb his contract worth 18 million $ into that space.

In a reduced role, Sexton can bring creation and scoring off the bench in an efficient way. The Utah-pick somehow isn't that valuable for OKC, because it will never become unprotected (instead the obligations will be extinguished, if the pick isn't conveyes until the 2026 NBA draft). But it costs Utah its flexibility in the next two years, and so, it has some more value for them to get it back. Overall, I think this is a fair trade.

4. With the remaining capspace of around 22 million $ extend the contracts of Joe and Wiggins.

Both are valuable role players in small roles and both of them have the interest to get paid immidiately. I think 26/4 for Wiggins and 40/4 for Joe should be fair price tags. Both contracts should be frontloaded, so that they will become cheaper when the extensions of JDub and Chet (and Wallace and Shai in 2027) will kick in.

5. Bring back Mike Muscala for the vet min and have a look at someone like Robert Covington, Jae Crowder, Joe Ingles, Robert Covington or even Jeff Green with the room-exception (up to 7.7 million $ per year).

Bringing back Muscala should be a no brainer.

With the room-mle Presti should look at a veteran who could provide some size, experience and - ideally - shooting at the wing. Hayward would be good, also, but after his comments, I don't want him back. But the other players mentioned above could all bring like 15-20 mpg and help the team with their experience.

So, overall then you have:

Shai - Wallace
Dort - Sexton - Joe
JDub - Wiggins
Avdija - Covington/Crowder/Batum/Ingles - Muscala
Chet - WCJ - JWill

Leave the final two rosterspots open for some young players who can get theirselves a contract during training camp.

This is a balanced and deep roster, with enormous room to grow. I think, they would be instant favourite to win the west and maybe it all.

Thoughts?
Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,571

Post#1564 » by Kizz Fastfists » Mon May 20, 2024 8:07 pm

You should post those trades on the trades and transactions board here on realgm and get some feedback. You have OKC getting a starting PF, Carter Jr, a backup forward, Avadija and a backup guard in Sexton for virtually no value. Giddey and pick #12 are the only asset of real value you are trading. Arguably the Miami pick, if you have to. You have the most value going out for the least valuable player. If you could get with Presti and tell him how to make that happen we'd all be greatly appreciative.
"The secret to success is to offend the greatest number of people." -George Bernard Shaw
Big nick
Senior
And1: 356

Post#1565 » by Big nick » Mon May 20, 2024 8:17 pm

So would just drafting edey cure most of our problems?
Clav
Starter
And1: 1,881

Post#1566 » by Clav » Tue May 21, 2024 12:17 am

What are your guys' opinions of an extension to Giddey and trade him for Julius Randle (remaining contract is 2/60)?

Pieces to include to NYK that might make it happen, Dieng, KWilliams, #12, 2025 Utah/Mia/OKC/PHL picks of your choice ?
Cheers
\m/
:guitar:
Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant

Post#1567 » by Kizz Fastfists » Tue May 21, 2024 1:44 pm

Big nick wrote:So would just drafting edey cure most of our problems?

It would potentially solve most of the issues in the paint. I'd like to add a veteran big man as well since we are not certain how Edey would perform in a 5-man out system. Edey showed off more athleticism than any of the other 7 footers at the combine and his shooting was very good, especially compared to expectation. I think Edey has the best chance of being a solution that OKC would have a legitimate shot at in the draft for next year. I'm not sure Presti will see it that way and he is probably more likely to want Cody Williams or Knecht. Presti has typically gone for younger draft picks and Edey was a four year college player.
"The secret to success is to offend the greatest number of people." -George Bernard Shaw
retrobro90
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 911

Post#1568 » by retrobro90 » Tue May 21, 2024 4:02 pm

Clav wrote:What are your guys' opinions of an extension to Giddey and trade him for Julius Randle (remaining contract is 2/60)?

Pieces to include to NYK that might make it happen, Dieng, KWilliams, #12, 2025 Utah/Mia/OKC/PHL picks of your choice ?

Gave you a +1 because this is interesting and out of the box. I'm not completely sold though as the trickiest part to me would be selling Randle on buying into a new role where he wouldn't be pushing a USG% close to 30 and doing so in an anti-glamour market with an established core. He's also coming off an injury and even when healthy his 3pt% took a dip to 31. Never been the headiest decision maker and the defense is often suspect. I think I'd prefer a reasonable extension to Giddey to be honest but I can see the reasoning behind Randle given his superior strength on the glass and ability as a self creator.
Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant

Post#1569 » by Kizz Fastfists » Tue May 21, 2024 4:13 pm

Clav wrote:What are your guys' opinions of an extension to Giddey and trade him for Julius Randle (remaining contract is 2/60)?

First, the Knicks foolishly see Randle as part of their core and are not going to move him for anything that would be considered reasonable. Second, Randle would not upgrade the rotation. He's a high usage Jaylin Williams. Randle is not a good 3pt shooter and has the same rebounding rates as Jaylin and Giddey. It would be about as worthless as adding Hayward was.

As far as a Giddey extension, if he signs at up to $20M/yr then great. If I were his agent I'd tell him not to sign anything other than a max extension. He won't lose value next season and if he improves his 3pt shooting he can gain significant value. No one questions his ball handling and passing and he is a plus rebounder for a guard. The issue is that OKC has other ball handlers and when Giddey is turned into a spot up shooter his offensive impact is minimal. Giddey could be a triple double machine on a team that surrounded him with shooters and let him run loose at PG. Giddey would be a great fit for a team like Washington that has shooters in place with Kuzma, Avdija, Jones and Kispert.
Devilanche
Head Coach
And1: 1,673

Post#1570 » by Devilanche » Tue May 21, 2024 6:10 pm

Option A -
Draft - Edey for C
Free Agency - Kyle Anderson,Patrick Williams OR Tobias Harris as PF
Trade - if no free agent then WCJ as PF/C

Option B -
Draft -Tristan De Silva as PF
Free Agency - Isaiah Harstenstein , Goga OR Jonas
Trade - if no free agent then WCJ as PF/C
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:No I’m myopic and shortsighted and I want my pile of draft picks.
mr570
Senior
And1: 304

Post#1571 » by mr570 » Tue May 21, 2024 6:32 pm

I like Tristan De Silva but none of the moves here make me feel like the team gets appreciably better. Could just be weong. Feel like I am again just waiting for the Nets to throw in the towel on their treadmill team.
Devilanche
Head Coach

Post#1572 » by Devilanche » Tue May 21, 2024 6:52 pm

I’m not sure there’s a trade for a better 2nd or 3rd option that might be available.
If PG or another vet is available sure I take my chances but otherwise I’m counting on Jdub and Chet to be better in the playoffs next season onwards.
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:No I’m myopic and shortsighted and I want my pile of draft picks.
Big nick
Senior

Post#1573 » by Big nick » Wed May 22, 2024 3:31 am

Here is what I think Sam will do either draft edey or Kyle Filipowski, and hope dieng will improve more this summer.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,362

Post#1574 » by ThunderBolt » Wed May 22, 2024 2:23 pm

I really don't see a longterm Giddey reaplcement that I love who is actually available.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
Big nick
Senior

Post#1575 » by Big nick » Thu May 23, 2024 2:42 am

ThunderBolt wrote:I really don't see a longterm Giddey reaplcement that I love who is actually available.

I really don't either. Does anyone think dieng has or could improve enough to be a small answers to our size problems. He did come a long way last year.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 6,352

Post#1576 » by Dadouv47 » Thu May 23, 2024 10:15 am

ThunderBolt wrote:I really don't see a longterm Giddey reaplcement that I love who is actually available.

Same. Don't think we will find a long term solution this offseason. Lauri gonna cost too much, Mikal too (and we don't have premium assets). I can't name a single team outside of the Blazers in the West that is committed to rebuild and the few in the East don't have the guy we need. Well some want to try to give Kuzma a shot but I don't like the idea and it's certainly not a long term replacement.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 6,352

Post#1577 » by Dadouv47 » Thu May 23, 2024 10:16 am

Big nick wrote:

I really don't either. Does anyone think dieng has or could improve enough to be a small answers to our size problems. He did come a long way last year.

I hope we will give him a shot since his trade value is probably too low but I don't like his chances. He's not strong enough to be a PF but I don't how he can play at the 3 with his size/playing style.
Devilanche
Head Coach

Post#1578 » by Devilanche » Thu May 23, 2024 12:13 pm

Big nick wrote:

He still have a long way to go .
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,362

Post#1579 » by ThunderBolt » Thu May 23, 2024 12:22 pm

Big nick wrote:

Even if Dieng does succeed, it feels like he's at least two years away. I can't imagine him making enough of a leap in one year to be a reliable option in the playoffs.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
Devilanche
Head Coach

Post#1580 » by Devilanche » Thu May 23, 2024 12:27 pm

Success for Dieng this upcoming season is carving up a role between range of wiggins to cason in the playoff.

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder