OKC Thunder 2023-24 Regular Season Discussion

Moderators: retrobro90, Dadouv47

Bremzi
Sophomore
And1: 75

Re: OKC Thunder 2023-24 Regular Season Discussion 

Post#3101 » by Bremzi » Tue May 14, 2024 7:18 am

Bremzi wrote:I think in the next matchup Wallace will have to play more. I'd bring Giddey off the bench and go something like this matchup wise:

- Dort on Doncic
- Wallace on Kyrie
- SGA on their SF (DJJ/Green)
- JDub on PJ
- Chet on Gafford

In this manner we have better shooting and defense. I also think it's beneficial if SGA and JDub can 'rest' a bit more on defense and/or assist with help defense for alley-oop disruptions. I'd say Dort and Wallace are our best perimeter defenders that also don't have to do much offensively - which is why it's better to pair them on the defensive side together vs their best two options. That five lineup is probably OKC's best defensive unit.

Dallas plays one of Green/DJJ, Lively and now likely someone else (Exum). I feel Giddey matches up better with Exum and I'd also play Wiggins on the replacement wing and Jaylin on Lively.

Can someone message this to OKC staff. They have SGA on PJ and JDUB on SF, that's a toss up. But the last quarter really showed how much of a better defender Cason is on Kyrie than anything where Giddey has to match up. He is always a step slow defensively this series. Bench him and play him at most the 5 minutes that SGA sits. I also liked seeing Kenrich in. Wiggins ought to play a bit more too, he has that length to really bother people defensively and can swap Dort/Cason if they're in foul trouble or to give them a breather.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 6,346

Post#3102 » by Dadouv47 » Tue May 14, 2024 7:42 am

Hayward didn't play, what a miracle.

I'm glad they tried the Kenrich experiment but I didn't like it.

Now they gotta bench Giddey. That leave us with a 8 men rotation (lack of size obviously but still better than playing Josh)
Zagor
Junior
And1: 120

Post#3103 » by Zagor » Tue May 14, 2024 8:05 am

In the end, missed free throws were more important for them than missed threes for us. And Shai went crazy in key moment.

I liked Kenny minutes, but I would only play him with SGA and Chet.

J-Dub mostly was horrific, Joe and Wiggins were also bad. Jaylin was ok.
I was mad on Dort in first half, too many misses and stupid drives to the rim. He was better in second half.

Stagnant offense is still the biggest problem. Shai isolations can't win you series. either J-Dub will find his game or other role players like Joe and Wiggins need to hit threes by lot.
RingoKid
Junior
And1: 62

Post#3104 » by RingoKid » Tue May 14, 2024 8:47 am

Giddey had a couple of timely defensive stops.

I wouldn't give up on him so fast but i would keep him on a short leash.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,350

Post#3105 » by ThunderBolt » Tue May 14, 2024 10:31 am

Dadouv47 wrote:Jdub is either injured or worse than I thought

He’s just young. He and Chet will grow more from these playoffs than any others in their careers but it sucks for now.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#3106 » by Dadouv47 » Tue May 14, 2024 10:33 am

We attempted 34.2 3pts shots/game during the regular season. 35 game one, 30 game two and only 19 and 27 in the last two games (with 10 coming from Dort in the last one omg). I think Dallas is doing a great job defensively but still our success rely a lot on shooting, not only because it's so good in the NBA but also because we have the best midrange shooter in the NBA and it open some space for him.
I think the team is struggling moving the ball but sometimes players like Isaiah Joe are a bit afraid to take some shots.
cjmcallist
Sixth Man
And1: 768

Post#3107 » by cjmcallist » Tue May 14, 2024 11:38 am

Agree that Cason needs more minutes and maybe to start. Gafford and Lively are definitely in SGA and JDubs heads on their drives. We’re not getting to the rim in the same way.

Dallas deserves credit too. They’ve been pretty tight defensively.
shakes0
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,984

Post#3108 » by shakes0 » Tue May 14, 2024 12:55 pm

I was never on the "Presti needs to make some big moves at the deadline" train, but watching JWill in the playoffs as our backup big has made it abundantly clear that Presti's refusal to bring in a competent back up big at the trade deadline should've resulted in criminal neglect charges against Presti.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#3109 » by Dadouv47 » Tue May 14, 2024 1:02 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:
Dadouv47 wrote:Jdub is either injured or worse than I thought

He’s just young. He and Chet will grow more from these playoffs than any others in their careers but it sucks for now.

I don't know. Looks like he's still dealing with some stuff but I might be wrong...the way he's shooting is weird. U will be able to watch it live if true ;)

Chet is definitely struggling a lot offensively too but he's a monster on defense already and it's good to see.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#3110 » by Dadouv47 » Tue May 14, 2024 2:40 pm

I just hope our players know they got away with it yesterday and they were lucky to some extent so they can take advantage of it and play better tomorrow...otherwise we are screwed
Devilanche
Head Coach
And1: 1,672

Post#3111 » by Devilanche » Tue May 14, 2024 4:11 pm

Dadouv47 wrote:We attempted 34.2 3pts shots/game during the regular season. 35 game one, 30 game two and only 19 and 27 in the last two games (with 10 coming from Dort in the last one omg). I think Dallas is doing a great job defensively but still our success rely a lot on shooting, not only because it's so good in the NBA but also because we have the best midrange shooter in the NBA and it open some space for him.
I think the team is struggling moving the ball but sometimes players like Isaiah Joe are a bit afraid to take some shots.

I think with ball movement in the regular season we just get more guys open and in this playoff they are less open so they taking lesser shots but hey 3 point shooting have been a marked difference from previous season so hopefully we will get there.
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:No I’m myopic and shortsighted and I want my pile of draft picks.
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,158

Post#3112 » by slick_watts » Tue May 14, 2024 4:34 pm

thunder are shooting 40%+ from three as a group in all lineups besides the starters btw. starting lineup is 3-24 (!).
Zagor
Junior
And1: 120

Post#3113 » by Zagor » Tue May 14, 2024 7:38 pm

One thing is sure, they need to let it( fear) go and just start shooting those open threes. Don't think or search better option, just shoot and run transition defense.
Over dribbling almost killed us because it leads to turnovers and easy buckets for them.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#3114 » by Dadouv47 » Tue May 14, 2024 7:57 pm

Presti messed up last offseason / at the deadline but he couldn't draft a more NBA ready player than Cason. Hope I'm not gonna jynx him because I still think Irving is gonna have a big game but his defense on him yesterday was insane. He has obvious size issues but he's gonna be an elite role player for more than a decade.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#3115 » by Dadouv47 » Tue May 14, 2024 8:00 pm

Read on Twitter

small sample size obviously but still worth it
Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,562

Post#3116 » by Kizz Fastfists » Tue May 14, 2024 8:22 pm

cjmcallist wrote:Agree that Cason needs more minutes and maybe to start. Gafford and Lively are definitely in SGA and JDubs heads on their drives. We’re not getting to the rim in the same way.

Dallas deserves credit too. They’ve been pretty tight defensively.

I wouldn't start Cason, but I understand the argument. I'd rather have him coming off the bench fresh to continue the pressure that Dort applies from the tipoff. They should move Joe or Wiggins into the starting lineup over Giddey. Then bring Giddey and Cason in off the bench for JDub and Dort. Keep two of SGA, Giddey and JDub on the floor for ball handling and playmaking, but do not put all three out there together at any point unless Giddey is just on fire from 3 on a given night. Keep one of Cason and Dort on the floor at all times and depending on the situation you might have both of them out there to close the game putting more pressure on Kyrie and Luka.

Dallas' size is a problem, as most of us expected, but OKC has shown they can overcome that if they run their offense like they did during the regular season with the guard screens, ball movement, off-ball movement and creating quality looks. There were too many times in game 4 where someone was driving into the paint with 2-3 other Thunder players standing there leaving no ability to finish the play. Keeping it close and SGA taking over the last 4 minutes of the game is not a strategy that should be counted on. If Dallas knocks down their FTs or SGA misses one of his difficult shots the game swings the other way. Through 4 games OKC has not won a single first quarter. They need to change up what they are doing at the start of the game and that adjustment should be changing the starting lineup. They go back to Giddey in the starting lineup in the WCF, but for this matchup they need something different.
"The secret to success is to offend the greatest number of people." -George Bernard Shaw
RingoKid
Junior

Post#3117 » by RingoKid » Tue May 14, 2024 10:44 pm

OKC have won 6 of 8 playoff games and finished 1st seed starting Giddey.

It ain't broke. It don't need fixing
RingoKid
Junior

Post#3118 » by RingoKid » Tue May 14, 2024 10:52 pm

A few seasons ago Memphis Coach Jenkins benched Adams in round 1 of the playoffs claiming a bad match up with KAT.

He didn't even give the Funaki spot minutes but started X Tillman instead. This depite Stevo being every reason why Grizz finished 2nd seed and around whom their identity was built.

End result was a 1st round war of attrition Grizz barely won with all their 'stars' getting injured and bounced by the Dubs in the next round.

Jenkins realising hes a shït coach then tried to bring Adams back for that warriors matchup but by then Adams had covid and was literally running on fumes getting gassed up on oxygen in the timeouts.

Moral of the story...you tell me ?
Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,562

Post#3119 » by Kizz Fastfists » Tue May 14, 2024 11:02 pm

RingoKid wrote:Moral of the story...you tell me ?

Steven Adams is useless at playing outside the paint. That was before knee surgery. If he ever gets medically cleared and comes back he'll be even more useless than post knee surgery Kendrick Perkins was.
"The secret to success is to offend the greatest number of people." -George Bernard Shaw
RingoKid
Junior

Post#3120 » by RingoKid » Tue May 14, 2024 11:20 pm

Still angry huh Kizz ? What are you.. like 4yrs old or something ?

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder