2022 NBA Draft Thread

Moderators: retrobro90, Dadouv47

retrobro90
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 911

Re: 2022 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#41 » by retrobro90 » Fri Mar 4, 2022 1:14 am

Dadouv47 wrote:Is Banchero struggling a lot to be considered 5th or 6th now? I wasn't high on him but surprised he's falling that much.

I badly want Chet...think the fit with Giddey is incredible.

Paolo has just had back to back great games. Before that he had a stretch of tentative play on offense because he often likes to get to his spots and work in iso instead of grabbing and going or shooting off the catch. I don't think there's any way he slips to 5 or below given his size and ability as a creator. I'm still a big supporter of his and think his weaknesses have gotten overblown.
retrobro90
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#42 » by retrobro90 » Sun Mar 13, 2022 12:55 am

Old Man Game wrote:Got to see Jalen Duren about a week ago when they played Cincinnati. Very intriguing. Bam Adebayo vibes. Overall skill level and motor may not be sufficient though.

Sent from my moto g power using RealGM mobile app

Really been coming around on Jalen Duren. Even outside of his 20/20 game in the AAC tourney opener he's really been demonstrating a better motor. Gets so much of his points off his teams' misses and the skill package is getting clearer and clearer. He's way more modern than given credit. Could be deadly as a DHO/Delay playmaking hub. Passes super well out of short roll too. Got a clean looking middy and wouldn't be surprised if he extended his range. He's just not much of a post up threat and isn't much of an option to run offense through in that setting. The body he's got at such a young age though is wild. He's grown-manning every opposing team and it's pretty eye-opening. Today he's gotten in foul trouble early and then hurt his hand in the 2nd half but as soon as he's come back in late he's been getting it done for them on both ends in a close game.
namlede
Sophomore
And1: 122

Post#43 » by namlede » Sun Mar 20, 2022 1:25 am

Duren vs Chet tonight. these 2 guys are probably atop Prestis board for big men.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using RealGM mobile app
Patches Perry
RealGM
And1: 15,982

Post#44 » by Patches Perry » Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:40 pm

I want Griffin. His game is tailor made for the NBA. He plays A LOT off the ball with Duke and still impacts the game significantly. He knows how to find the open space as the offensive play develops. With his build and ability, he can probably guard 4 positions in the NBA. He has a quiet confidence and demeanor on the court that I love, and having NBA in his genes doesn't hurt.

He might not have the superstar ceiling, but he seems like an Iguodala type who would have near superstar impact as a roleplayer.
Big nick
Senior
And1: 354

Post#45 » by Big nick » Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:52 am

Patches Perry wrote:I want Griffin. His game is tailor made for the NBA. He plays A LOT off the ball with Duke and still impacts the game significantly. He knows how to find the open space as the offensive play develops. With his build and ability, he can probably guard 4 positions in the NBA. He has a quiet confidence and demeanor on the court that I love, and having NBA in his genes doesn't hurt.

He might not have the superstar ceiling, but he seems like an Iguodala type who would have near superstar impact as a roleplayer.

This I really like him also but I really think he should go around 7 and I also wonder if he would be happy in a small market.
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,158

Post#46 » by slick_watts » Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:24 pm

paolo is getting slept on a bit. chet is my easy #1 but paolo would be my #2. i believe in his shooting.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 6,337

Post#47 » by Dadouv47 » Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:56 pm

Chet is still my number one but after that I have no idea who I want us to pick.

I like Paolo a lot but a bit worried about the fit in OKC. I know we should pick BPA but we are building a team around SGA/Giddey and I'm really worried about lack of outside shooting. Ivey could be the steal of the draft but tough to pick another guard.

At this point I would rather try to move up with the LAC pick to get two top 8 picks instead of trying to move up from 4-6 to #2 or 3 (except if Chet is available at 2)
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,331

Post#48 » by ThunderBolt » Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:57 pm

I honestly don’t have the energy to get too invested in who we might draft this year. I’ll be excited on pong pong poll night, draft night and opening night. I got too emotional invested in Mobley and now I’m apathetic despite loving Giddey. I will say that I am in total favor of trying to use assets with the clippers pick to move up.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#49 » by Dadouv47 » Thu Mar 24, 2022 12:43 am

I obviously want a high pick but the top of this draft isn't good enough for me to care as much as last season(no studs like Mobley/Cade). I like our team but we badly need a #1 option and it's very unlikely we find one in this draft.
I hope Presti will be more aggressive on the trade market (or move up to get two top 7-8 picks) this offseason if we decide to keep building around Shai.
mr570
Senior
And1: 304

Post#50 » by mr570 » Thu Mar 24, 2022 2:12 am

Just get whoever this year but make sure you get Victor Wembanyama next year.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#51 » by Dadouv47 » Thu Mar 24, 2022 2:36 am

mr570 wrote:Just get whoever this year but make sure you get Victor Wembanyama next year.

Still only a 14% chance even if we badly underperform next season. But yeah the 2023 draft is stacked so a top 3 pick could change everything.
ElectricMayhem
RealGM
And1: 11,196

Post#52 » by ElectricMayhem » Fri Mar 25, 2022 3:27 am

Hi!

As the fifth team to mathematically drop out of the race for an NBA Championship, the Oklahoma City Thunder are now featured in the Post-Mortem series on the GB. Your insights would be much more valuable than those of us who don't get to watch them much and the data you provide on the surveys would lead to much more accurate charts at the end of it. Here is the link:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2178216
At the end of the day, it's not about wins and losses. Teamwork, fair play, and good sportsmanship make champions of us all.

Go arbitrary assortment of athletes! Beat the other arbitrary assortment of athletes or my mood will suffer!
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#53 » by Dadouv47 » Fri Mar 25, 2022 6:29 pm

ElectricMayhem wrote:Hi!

As the fifth team to mathematically drop out of the race for an NBA Championship, the Oklahoma City Thunder are now featured in the Post-Mortem series on the GB. Your insights would be much more valuable than those of us who don't get to watch them much and the data you provide on the surveys would lead to much more accurate charts at the end of it. Here is the link:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2178216

congrats for the good job. Great to see a thread about each team situation.
Big nick
Senior

Post#54 » by Big nick » Thu Mar 31, 2022 2:21 am

Dadouv47 wrote:Chet is still my number one but after that I have no idea who I want us to pick.

I like Paolo a lot but a bit worried about the fit in OKC. I know we should pick BPA but we are building a team around SGA/Giddey and I'm really worried about lack of outside shooting. Ivey could be the steal of the draft but tough to pick another guard.

At this point I would rather try to move up with the LAC pick to get two top 8 picks instead of trying to move up from 4-6 to #2 or 3 (except if Chet is available at 2)

I agree with this two top eight picks would be great. I like aj he can really shoot the three and maybe Duran. But I think pressti would do just about anything to get chet presstis type of guy.
Dn4sty
Analyst
And1: 1,916

Post#55 » by Dn4sty » Fri Apr 8, 2022 3:43 am

I finally reset my password (I had forgotten it and was just lurking). Anyway here’s my big overview draft thoughts.

- Sharpe is my favorite player in this draft. I think he is a bigger Jalen Green who cares about defense. To me the guys ahead of him have too many flaws.

My current draft board is as follows. It’s very Thunder centric. I’m sure it will get updated as I continue to look at more players.

Sharpe
Jabari
Paolo
Ivey or Chet
AJG
Mathurin
Duren
Eason or Murray
Dyson or Sochan
Agbaji
Davis
Jovic
Mark Williams
Procida

Jabari is number 2 for because of his age. The possibility to that he won’t be more than a 3&D player concerns me for sure

Paolo - scares me and yet intrigues me a ton. I don’t want him to become a Randle type player for OKC as that isn’t great imo. His stock for me jumped because of his tourney play.

Chet - he scares and intrigues me. I don’t think he has really put on any noticeable weight in a few years. He also disappears so much on offense. If he could get to 225-230lbs, then my thoughts change, but I’m hesitant.

Ivey - is he the next Ja with Russ size? Purdue did him no favors on offense playing with two plodding bigs which negates Ivey’s best skill of getting to the rim. His shot was up and down, but I think it’s much further along than where Ja shot was at.

AJG - I like him but he plays kinda at Kyle Anderson speed. I don’t see a chance he isn’t a good NBA player, but not sure good is the guy you want to take at 5 or 6.
Big nick
Senior

Post#56 » by Big nick » Sat Apr 9, 2022 3:42 am

If we could draft Sharpe or AJ with the first pick,don't think Jabari will still on the board then I would be happy. Also wouldn't mind picking mark Williams with our lac pick. I think that would be a great draft for us.
mr570
Senior
And1: 304

Post#57 » by mr570 » Sun Apr 10, 2022 2:17 pm

Dn4sty wrote:Chet - he scares and intrigues me. I don’t think he has really put on any noticeable weight in a few years. He also disappears so much on offense. If he could get to 225-230lbs, then my thoughts change, but I’m hesitant.

What's interesting to me is his potential at the 4. I think if they got him they could play him at the 5 but that's not where I'd like to see him. You want him at the 5 because he's not physically a 5 yet, so you're still awful enough to tank. And then you want to unload the warchest for Wembanyama - who is your true future 5 - so you can then play Chet at the 4. It's a dream scenario that will likely never happen but I spend most nights falling asleep thinking about it (exaggerating but man it would be fun to have all that length on our team between those two and Poku).
Dn4sty
Analyst
And1: 1,916

Post#58 » by Dn4sty » Sun Apr 10, 2022 10:46 pm

Guys I Really Like -
Chet
Jabari
Paolo
Ivey
Sharpe
AJG
Tari
Benedict
Sochan
Jovic
Daniels
Dieng
Procida
Christie

Guys I like -
Duren
Agbaji
Mark Williams
Jaylin Williams
Branham
McGowens

Guys I’m ok with -
Murray
Davis
Koloko
PBJ
Braun

Guys I’m not a fan of -
TyTY
Brown
Liddell
Kessler
Beauchamp
Montero
Hardy
Kamagate
Chandler

I’m still in the process of watching more guys and these lists are not in order.
retrobro90
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#59 » by retrobro90 » Mon Apr 11, 2022 4:15 pm

Dn4sty wrote:I finally reset my password (I had forgotten it and was just lurking). Anyway here’s my big overview draft thoughts.

- Sharpe is my favorite player in this draft. I think he is a bigger Jalen Green who cares about defense. To me the guys ahead of him have too many flaws.

My current draft board is as follows. It’s very Thunder centric. I’m sure it will get updated as I continue to look at more players.

Sharpe
Jabari
Paolo
Ivey or Chet
AJG
Mathurin
Duren
Eason or Murray
Dyson or Sochan
Agbaji
Davis
Jovic
Mark Williams
Procida

Jabari is number 2 for because of his age. The possibility to that he won’t be more than a 3&D player concerns me for sure

Paolo - scares me and yet intrigues me a ton. I don’t want him to become a Randle type player for OKC as that isn’t great imo. His stock for me jumped because of his tourney play.

Chet - he scares and intrigues me. I don’t think he has really put on any noticeable weight in a few years. He also disappears so much on offense. If he could get to 225-230lbs, then my thoughts change, but I’m hesitant.

Ivey - is he the next Ja with Russ size? Purdue did him no favors on offense playing with two plodding bigs which negates Ivey’s best skill of getting to the rim. His shot was up and down, but I think it’s much further along than where Ja shot was at.

AJG - I like him but he plays kinda at Kyle Anderson speed. I don’t see a chance he isn’t a good NBA player, but not sure good is the guy you want to take at 5 or 6.

I like your list overall but I kinda disagree here. Purdue had plenty of good shooters on their squad for spacing and their two plodding bigs were excellent finishers that very rarely played together. One of Ivey's big ?'s is his playmaking and I thought they gave him a borderline ideal situation to help him in that regard but he was still pretty subpar as a distributor. I worry he's a guy who's not gonna make his teammates better and may in fact be fool's gold when it comes to his overall offensive impact.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,331

Post#60 » by ThunderBolt » Mon Apr 11, 2022 4:44 pm

How does anyone have any idea what to think with Sharpe, for better or worse?
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder