All Things Thunder Offseason Thread

Moderators: retrobro90, Dadouv47

ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,321

Re: All Things Thunder Offseason Thread 

Post#561 » by ThunderBolt » Wed Sep 13, 2023 4:26 pm

bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
cjmcallist
Sixth Man
And1: 758

Post#562 » by cjmcallist » Wed Sep 13, 2023 8:39 pm

Nice to see. Now can we get a rebrand to go with it?
Clav
Starter
And1: 1,838

Post#563 » by Clav » Thu Sep 14, 2023 5:03 am

I hope for a rebrand too. Good news for OKC, should help to bring more investment until the city
Cheers
\m/
:guitar:
Mr Thunder Nick
Junior
And1: 91

Post#564 » by Mr Thunder Nick » Fri Sep 15, 2023 7:13 am

Does anybody knows, on which date this years Thunder Media-day will be?
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#565 » by ThunderBolt » Fri Sep 15, 2023 8:54 am

cjmcallist wrote:Nice to see. Now can we get a rebrand to go with it?

I’d give up multiple picks for a new and better logo.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,158

Post#566 » by slick_watts » Fri Sep 15, 2023 4:00 pm

a $50 million contribution from the thunder is a hilariously low amount. it's doubly insulting that the mayor is speaking about it like it's an unprecedented gift to the city. herb kohl alone contributed $100 million to the bucks new arena, and they got more private funding from the ownership group. sacramento had far more private investment. thunder ownership knows they have the city's feet over the flames on this one and david holt's grim allusions to potentially losing the team if the city doesn't foot 95% of the arena bill is sad to see.

okc citizens have no choice but to vote 'yes' if they want to keep the team there but if you thought the owners had any sort of genuine civic virtue then their pittance contribution to this arena project should tell you otherwise.
cjmcallist
Sixth Man

Post#567 » by cjmcallist » Fri Sep 15, 2023 9:22 pm

slick_watts wrote:a $50 million contribution from the thunder is a hilariously low amount. it's doubly insulting that the mayor is speaking about it like it's an unprecedented gift to the city. herb kohl alone contributed $100 million to the bucks new arena, and they got more private funding from the ownership group. sacramento had far more private investment. thunder ownership knows they have the city's feet over the flames on this one and david holt's grim allusions to potentially losing the team if the city doesn't foot 95% of the arena bill is sad to see.

okc citizens have no choice but to vote 'yes' if they want to keep the team there but if you thought the owners had any sort of genuine civic virtue then their pittance contribution to this arena project should tell you otherwise.

Help me understand. I don’t know a lot about these agreements, but doesn’t the city own the arena? Why would the thunder ownership invest any money in something that they don’t own?
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,158

Post#568 » by slick_watts » Sat Sep 16, 2023 6:52 am

cjmcallist wrote:
slick_watts wrote:a $50 million contribution from the thunder is a hilariously low amount. it's doubly insulting that the mayor is speaking about it like it's an unprecedented gift to the city. herb kohl alone contributed $100 million to the bucks new arena, and they got more private funding from the ownership group. sacramento had far more private investment. thunder ownership knows they have the city's feet over the flames on this one and david holt's grim allusions to potentially losing the team if the city doesn't foot 95% of the arena bill is sad to see.

Help me understand. I don’t know a lot about these agreements, but doesn’t the city own the arena? Why would the thunder ownership invest any money in something that they don’t own?

thunder ownership gets to reap the benefits as the primary tenant regardless. golden 1 center and fiserv in sacramento and milwaukee are both owned by their cities. climate pledge arena in seattle is owned by the city even though the $1 billion renovation was entirely funded privately.
cjmcallist
Sixth Man

Post#569 » by cjmcallist » Sun Sep 17, 2023 12:16 pm

slick_watts wrote:
cjmcallist wrote:

thunder ownership gets to reap the benefits as the primary tenant regardless. golden 1 center and fiserv in sacramento and milwaukee are both owned by their cities. climate pledge arena in seattle is owned by the city even though the $1 billion renovation was entirely funded privately.

Hmm…. I’m just not there. I see those examples too, but I don’t really see a reason why NBA owners should pay into a publicly owned property.

I don’t live in OKC though. If you do, will this affect your vote?
cjmcallist
Sixth Man

Post#570 » by cjmcallist » Sun Sep 17, 2023 12:17 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:
cjmcallist wrote:Nice to see. Now can we get a rebrand to go with it?

I’d give up multiple picks for a new and better logo.

Lol. I’m generally good with our colors though. Just a new logo is what we need.

Our alternates have been pretty solid, for the most part. The potential is there.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 6,323

Post#572 » by Dadouv47 » Wed Sep 20, 2023 11:25 pm

Read on Twitter

yeah that's sad
Clav
Starter
And1: 1,838

Post#573 » by Clav » Thu Sep 21, 2023 1:21 am

Poku... 6 weeks re-eval, it must have been a pretty bad sprain. Really, Poku can't stay healthy unfortunately. For his own sake he needs to have a good season to earn a solid RFA offer next summer or the QO / trade is imminent.
Cheers
\m/
:guitar:
JKiddy
Bench Warmer
And1: 329

Post#574 » by JKiddy » Thu Sep 21, 2023 6:13 pm

I am rooting for Poku. I hope he heals and gets the help he needs to stay healthy and show what he is capable of very soon.
Thabo Sefolosha
Thunder Forum The Opening Tip
And1: 6,563

Post#575 » by Thabo Sefolosha » Thu Sep 28, 2023 5:10 pm

I like our logo :dontknow:
especially our current uniforms
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#576 » by ThunderBolt » Fri Sep 29, 2023 12:03 pm

So far I've listened to Presti's introductory comments but no question and answers. I'm generally pretty supportive of Presti and perhaps the rest of the press conference was better. But he sounds like an old man trying to micromanage children and kill excitement of fans. It sounds like he has social media paranoia for the team. He talks about wanting to have a real home court advantage again but yet spends his entire comments downplaying any reasons for excitement that fans might have. What really got me was when he said the unexpected success was "stealing (development) from the future". His approach to how he describes the team is baffling to me.
retrobro90
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 911

Post#577 » by retrobro90 » Sat Sep 30, 2023 12:19 am

ThunderBolt wrote:So far I've listened to Presti's introductory comments but no question and answers. I'm generally pretty supportive of Presti and perhaps the rest of the press conference was better. But he sounds like an old man trying to micromanage children and kill excitement of fans. It sounds like he has social media paranoia for the team. He talks about wanting to have a real home court advantage again but yet spends his entire comments downplaying any reasons for excitement that fans might have. What really got me was when he said the unexpected success was "stealing (development) from the future". His approach to how he describes the team is baffling to me.

I agree w all your analysis here. However, I trick myself 2-3 times a year into watching every single Presti State of the Union Address and utimately I think he couldve redacted every statement hes ever made and read aloud from the Quran instead and I would probably have an equal understanding of how to prognosticate the future of this team than I did having heard each and every one of his filibustered hardwork/perseverance platitudes.
Devilanche
Head Coach
And1: 1,621

Post#578 » by Devilanche » Sat Sep 30, 2023 1:37 am

ThunderBolt wrote:So far I've listened to Presti's introductory comments but no question and answers. I'm generally pretty supportive of Presti and perhaps the rest of the press conference was better. But he sounds like an old man trying to micromanage children and kill excitement of fans. It sounds like he has social media paranoia for the team. He talks about wanting to have a real home court advantage again but yet spends his entire comments downplaying any reasons for excitement that fans might have. What really got me was when he said the unexpected success was "stealing (development) from the future". His approach to how he describes the team is baffling to me.

First part has always been his MO though, just that he is now older.

Second part is baffling , it’s like he’s not all in on the let’s see where SGA might bring us. Or that we may be cutting off people earlier than he would like ?
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:No I’m myopic and shortsighted and I want my pile of draft picks.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 6,323

Post#579 » by Dadouv47 » Sat Sep 30, 2023 2:09 am

Devilanche wrote:

First part has always been his MO though, just that he is now older.

Second part is baffling , it’s like he’s not all in on the let’s see where SGA might bring us. Or that we may be cutting off people earlier than he would like ?

maybe he's just pissed we had no shot at Wemby/Scoot/Amen.

Seriously speaking, I think it's fine to lower fans expectations. It's not common to have such a leap like last season (+16 wins from one season to another) and everything went in our way: our core was healthy all season, SGA went from a borderline all star to superstar status, JDub killing it as a rookie, Giddey figuring it out, Isaiah Joe shooting better than Curry, etc.

I do think our team can improve next season and I love our core but I don't mind Presti doing his usual show. I love him as a GM but I barely listen to him honestly because apart from being a very smart man and good speaker, you can't extract much from his interviews anyway.

I was just a bit surprised the two or three times he spoke about Micic over the last 3-4 months...he doesn't look that excited to have him. i don't know what his long term plan is for him.

Season didn't start yet but I already blame him for not making a decent (not crazy one) move to improve our team. He's all in on Chet and Cason Wallace to a lower extent and that's a risky way to do it. He can talk whatever he wants about development and I get it but the ultimate goal is still to win a Championship and our best odds are with Shai before his contract ends so we better make some splash in the next offseason
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#580 » by ThunderBolt » Sat Sep 30, 2023 12:00 pm

retrobro90 wrote:
Devilanche wrote:

It's just odd to me because he talked so much about "serving the game" and seems to really value the essence of what sports is about. I don't think he understands that from the fans perspective irrational hope of success in the offseason is a huge part of the fun. The fact this basic concept is lost upon someone that could derive major life lessons after going to the theater to watch barbie is a head scratcher to me. Oh well. Carry on.

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder