New division?

Moderators: retrobro90, Dadouv47

gordeng
Junior
And1: 12

New division? 

Post#1 » by gordeng » Mon Jul 7, 2008 4:41 am

Will this team be part of a new division? OKC is much closer to the Southwest division than the Northwest, and logically it should go there. Unfortunately, no other team in that division could reasonably be bumped out ahead of OKC, although Memphis should be in the Eastern conference.
ljp24
Bench Warmer
And1: 21

Re: New division? 

Post#2 » by ljp24 » Mon Jul 7, 2008 4:45 am

Nah, OKC is going to replace Seattle because too there are already too many teams near the Texas media zone, etc

article from Newsok explains this: http://newsok.com/article/3232776/1208751773
Dr. Evil
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#3 » by Dr. Evil » Mon Jul 7, 2008 5:11 am

It would be very hard for Oklahoma City to get into the playoffs in the Southwest Division, a division where four teams make up half of the Western Conference Playoffs.
m23uza1hem36
Starter
And1: 1

Post#4 » by m23uza1hem36 » Mon Jul 7, 2008 5:31 pm

No same division.
Follow @mouzaihem
Jack wore plaid
Sixth Man
And1: 56

Post#5 » by Jack wore plaid » Mon Jul 7, 2008 7:57 pm

Dr. Evil wrote:It would be very hard for Oklahoma City to get into the playoffs in the Southwest Division, a division where four teams make up half of the Western Conference Playoffs.

It will be much easier to get into the playoffs in the SW division once you guys are actually close to making the playoffs.

SA, Dallas and Houston are all on their downward trails, while Portland and Utah are both getting better.

It's not like you guys will really even get to the playoffs for several, several years. You will almost have to win your division to get there IMO.

I don't even think you guys are better than Memphis anymore. Which is ironic because that's the most likely team to go back to Seattle.

Durant will more than likely bolt as soon as he can because judging by his Bennett is a fat ass comment, I don't think he really likes the guy much. I don't really feel a lot of players will because of his boohoo comment through his emails. If I had the choice, it's probably not someone I would want to work for, and any prominent FA will have a choice.
OKCFan
Ballboy

Post#6 » by OKCFan » Mon Jul 7, 2008 11:12 pm

Jack, I already saw another one of your posts in another topic, and decided to ignore it. But then I come into the very next topic and see the exact same whining and bashing of Oklahoma City and the team's ownership. Give it a rest. That's why they made the OKC forum, so that OKC fans can discuss their team here and Seattle fans can stay on their own forum to bash everyone and everything.
bmw42690
Sophomore

Post#7 » by bmw42690 » Tue Jul 8, 2008 2:08 am

At some point they are going to have to rearrange the divisions i would think. Kick memphis to the east and move Milwaukee to the west. Memphis takes a spot in the central division and Milwaukee replaces Memphis in a newly named division. My ideas: North division or Cold and Snowy division :lol:
Jack wore plaid
Sixth Man
And1: 56

Post#8 » by Jack wore plaid » Tue Jul 8, 2008 4:27 am

OKCFan wrote:Jack, I already saw another one of your posts in another topic, and decided to ignore it. But then I come into the very next topic and see the exact same whining and bashing of Oklahoma City and the team's ownership. Give it a rest. That's why they made the OKC forum, so that OKC fans can discuss their team here and Seattle fans can stay on their own forum to bash everyone and everything.

Oh I'm not a Seattle fan at all. I'm a Blazer fan. I'm also not bashing OKC, I'm calling it like it really is. That city will stuggle to lure top end FA's because of market size. As I said in the other thread the Blazers have the same problem, and Portland is bigger than OKC. As for ownership, I was simply repeating what ESPN reported, and what former Sonic players have said. I know nothing about Bennett except that he really didn't want to keep the team in Seattle, and with their lease who could blame him.

The OKC team will need to more than likely win their division to make the playoffs, and that will probably be easiest to do in the SW if they can actually keep their players
m23uza1hem36
Starter
And1: 1

Post#9 » by m23uza1hem36 » Tue Jul 8, 2008 4:41 am

OKCFan wrote:Jack, I already saw another one of your posts in another topic, and decided to ignore it. But then I come into the very next topic and see the exact same whining and bashing of Oklahoma City and the team's ownership. Give it a rest. That's why they made the OKC forum, so that OKC fans can discuss their team here and Seattle fans can stay on their own forum to bash everyone and everything.

The question is...WHAT IS YOUR PROBLEM bashing people? He's telling the truth, the team isn't going to be in the playoffs for some time and the SW division would be better because the teams are on the decline. You need to stop picking on other peoples posts and worry about your self.
Follow @mouzaihem
oksportsguy
Ballboy

Post#10 » by oksportsguy » Tue Jul 8, 2008 5:27 am

Its not his opinion about the division setup, but his condescending attitude and his belief that he knows what the players are going to do. We've heard all this, time to move on.

That being said, I agree that the SW might be better long term, but you don't get better playing powder puffs either. At some point their will be a realignment, until then the NW will work.
Tony Plow
Ballboy

Post#11 » by Tony Plow » Tue Jul 8, 2008 9:47 pm

oksportsguy wrote:Its not his opinion about the division setup, but his condescending attitude and his belief that he knows what the players are going to do. We've heard all this, time to move on.

That being said, I agree that the SW might be better long term, but you don't get better playing powder puffs either. At some point their will be a realignment, until then the NW will work.

I want Oklahoma City to stay in the division they are in now. It seems Oklahoma City always has a rivalry with Texas teams. I want rivalries with TALENTED teams like the Lakers.
"This is Mr. Plow... OH. You mean THAT Mr. Plow. No. I'm TONY Plow. You know, from Leave it to Beaver?" : Homer Simpson
Trueblood
Sophomore

Post#12 » by Trueblood » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:33 am

When you get down to it, the division with Minnesota, Denver, Utah and OKC is stretched long from a geographic standpoint. It really doesn't matter who the 5th team is, whether it's Phoenix or Portland. However, it makes more sense from a pacific division standpoint to have Portland than Phoenix simply because it's much closer to the actual pacific ocean....

Pacific -Portland, GS, LAL, LAC and Sacramento
Mountain -Phoenix, Utah, Denver, OKC and Minnesota
Southwest -remains as is

That being said, I think they want to keep the Northwest division intact for now or at least until we see if Seattle gets it's act together in the next 18 months. If they don't, then look for them to get rid of the northwest and maybe go with something like the Mountain idea.
Joe Jackson
Analyst

Post#13 » by Joe Jackson » Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:35 am

m23uza1hem36 wrote:

The question is...WHAT IS YOUR PROBLEM bashing people? He's telling the truth, the team isn't going to be in the playoffs for some time and the SW division would be better because the teams are on the decline. You need to stop picking on other peoples posts and worry about your self.

And if you knew half as much as you act like you think you do you would KNOW that it doesn't make a damn bit of difference what division you are in as far as making the playoffs or not goes.
What you have to do to make the playoffs is have one of the top 8 records in the conference to qualify. PERIOD!
And it doesn't make any difference what division you're in as you saw all the teams from the SW make the playoffs last year.
And it doesn't make any difference what division you're in as far as the schedule goes either because you basically play everybody in the conference 4 times, except for 4 teams only 3 times.
McG
Sophomore

Post#14 » by McG » Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:53 pm

Joe Jackson wrote:And if you knew half as much as you act like you think you do you would KNOW that it doesn't make a damn bit of difference what division you are in as far as making the playoffs or not goes.
What you have to do to make the playoffs is have one of the top 8 records in the conference to qualify. PERIOD!
And it doesn't make any difference what division you're in as you saw all the teams from the SW make the playoffs last year.
And it doesn't make any difference what division you're in as far as the schedule goes either because you basically play everybody in the conference 4 times, except for 4 teams only 3 times.

Unfortunatley this is common knowledge for approximately 100% of NBA fans, but I do appreciate the heart.

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder