USA vs. Venezuela Men's basketball friendly 7/29

Mr. E
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,510
Location: Defending Planet Earth with a Jet-Pack & a Ray-Gun!

USA vs. Venezuela Men's basketball friendly 7/29 

Post#1 » by Mr. E » Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:46 pm

This one will be coming from United Center in Chicago. 8:00 PM CDT (UTC -6) start time on Friday, July 29th.

Venezuela features Greivis Vasquez at shooting guard, and it looks like their lineup will be:

C - Gregory Enchenique
PF - Nestor Colmenares
SF - Jon Cox
PG - Greivis Vasquez
PG - Gregory Vargas

I have no idea at this time what the USA starting lineup will be, but I'll be shocked if Jimmy Butler does not get the start.
"A fanatic is one who can't change their mind and won't change the subject."
- Winston Churchill
Mr. E
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Re: USA vs. Venezuela Men's basketball friendly 7/29 

Post#3 » by Mr. E » Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:08 pm

SirCharles3434 wrote:http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2654314-mike-krzyzewski-thinks-team-usa-needs-to-tone-down-its-antics?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=programming-national

Coach K wants team USA to tone down its antics. Come on Coach K they're just having fun.

You start to hit a fine line between "having fun" and showing up your opponent at some point. That 360 dunk attempt was unnecessary, as was Klay pulling up for a three while bringing it up the court when they were already up close to 50 points.
- Winston Churchill
bb22
Starter
And1: 1,019

Post#4 » by bb22 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:48 pm

I'll never forgive Canada for losing to Venezuela. They might be the weakest team in Rio (just lost to spain 91-55).
Mr. E
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by Mr. E » Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:58 pm

bb22 wrote:I'll never forgive Canada for losing to Venezuela. They might be the weakest team in Rio (just lost to spain 91-55).

What happened with that game? Just bad luck?

I see that Wiggins, Olynyk, Stauskas and other all played while Vasquez did not play for Venezuela.

That must have been frustrating to watch.
- Winston Churchill
bb22
Starter

Post#6 » by bb22 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:06 pm

Mr. E wrote:
bb22 wrote:I'll never forgive Canada for losing to Venezuela. They might be the weakest team in Rio (just lost to spain 91-55).

What happened with that game? Just bad luck?

I see that Wiggins, Olynyk, Stauskas and other all played while Vasquez did not play for Venezuela.

That must have been frustrating to watch.

Ya it was a scrappy game, where no one showed up for Canada other than Olynyk. But the ending was just awful. Tie game with 24 or so seconds left, Venezuela has last possession. Their guard takes a contested fadeaway and misses, and then the ref calls A LAST SECOND LOOSE BALL FOUL on one of the Canadian forwards while fighting to secure the rebound! They were in the bonus, so they basically gave Venezuelan 2 free throws to win the game.
Winsome Gerbil
RealGM
And1: 13,086

Post#7 » by Winsome Gerbil » Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:29 pm

Enchenique might at least be able to provide some physical resistance against Cousins and Jordan after the Chinese all string bean thing got them savaged.
Mr. E
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by Mr. E » Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:55 pm

Winsome Gerbil wrote:Enchenique might at least be able to provide some physical resistance against Cousins and Jordan after the Chinese all string bean thing got them savaged.

This is going to be my first chance to see Venezuela play since...I can't remember the last time I watched them in international competition. I did not see the tournament where they qualified, so this is first-look for me.

Any word on the USA lineup for tonight?
- Winston Churchill
Hawk
Starter
And1: 818

Post#9 » by Hawk » Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:02 am

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCF_X-JRKHya4zdkpFjvxNXg/live

I hope this stream works fine

George is out for tonight (left calf)

Starrting 5:

Irving
Butler
Durant
Melo
Cousins
Hawk
Starter

Post#10 » by Hawk » Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:59 am

18-36 at the halftime

2 for 18 in 3PT
Mr. E
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by Mr. E » Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:23 am

I only now got a chance to check in for the game. I'm heading out in a bit, but let's see how it looks!

Lower scoring affair than I was expecting.
- Winston Churchill
NeoWarriors
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,325

Re: RE: Re: USA vs. Venezuela Men's basketball friendly 7/29 

Post#12 » by NeoWarriors » Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:25 am

Mr. E wrote:I only now got a chance to check in for the game. I'm heading out in a bit, but let's see how it looks!

It's not so much of a low-scoring affair as it is a brickfest.
Mr. E
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Re: RE: Re: USA vs. Venezuela Men's basketball friendly 7/29 

Post#13 » by Mr. E » Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:27 am

NeoWarriors wrote:
Mr. E wrote:I only now got a chance to check in for the game. I'm heading out in a bit, but let's see how it looks!

It's not so much of a low-scoring affair as it is a brickfest.

Oh. That's not good to hear. I was at least hoping it was a defensive battle!
- Winston Churchill
Mr. E
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by Mr. E » Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:40 am

There is so much talent on this team. It's ridiculous that there is so much talent on this team (just like most Olympic teams).

But something about these guys doesn't seem to click for me. They had Glove on earlier talking about point guards, and there were other comments about guys on the team being guys who always look for their own shot.

This is a team who could be humbled by a well-oiled, cohesive team. Not saying that they could lose - I think that they are too talented; but someone could make things interesting. One of those teams who have played together and know each other so well.
- Winston Churchill
Hawk
Starter

Post#15 » by Hawk » Sat Jul 30, 2016 3:10 am

Mr. E wrote:There is so much talent on this team. It's ridiculous that there is so much talent on this team (just like most Olympic teams).

But something about these guys doesn't seem to click for me. They had Glove on earlier talking about point guards, and there were other comments about guys on the team being guys who always look for their own shot.

This is a team who could be humbled by a well-oiled, cohesive team. Not saying that they could lose - I think that they are too talented; but someone could make things interesting. One of those teams who have played together and know each other so well.

I can see them losing to Spain, France, Serbia or Lithuania. Not in a best of 7 series but it could happen in just one game.

Really bad game. Terrible shooting from 3, 4/25. When outside shooting is not working, which is weird having Durant, Melo and Thompson, I think Cousins should get more touches down low (just 4 FGA's tonight)
bb22
Starter

Post#16 » by bb22 » Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:02 am

The offense has been looking very choppy since day 1. The coaching staff have been insisting that the offense is not a problem, that it will come with time, etc. I don't necessarily agree with this. Even with the superior talent, they need to find a way to get easier baskets off of plays/motion, rather than relying on contested 1 on 1 plays all game. 2 guys need to become facilitators and playmakers to make the most of this talent. One of those guys is Green, but judging by the rotation he won't be on the floor enough. Not sure who the other guy could be. All in all, as coach K said, the defense is what will set this team apart from the rest. That is for certain.
Mr. E
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#17 » by Mr. E » Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:58 pm

Dr Olajuwon wrote:I can see them losing to Spain, France, Serbia or Lithuania. Not in a best of 7 series but it could happen in just one game.

Really bad game. Terrible shooting from 3, 4/25. When outside shooting is not working, which is weird having Durant, Melo and Thompson, I think Cousins should get more touches down low (just 4 FGA's tonight)

Yeah, I could see each of those teams being a solid threat as they play so well together.

And Serbia just had a fantastic game against the French!
- Winston Churchill
Mr. E
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#18 » by Mr. E » Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:59 pm

bb22 wrote:The offense has been looking very choppy since day 1. The coaching staff have been insisting that the offense is not a problem, that it will come with time, etc. I don't necessarily agree with this. Even with the superior talent, they need to find a way to get easier baskets off of plays/motion, rather than relying on contested 1 on 1 plays all game. 2 guys need to become facilitators and playmakers to make the most of this talent. One of those guys is Green, but judging by the rotation he won't be on the floor enough. Not sure who the other guy could be. All in all, as coach K said, the defense is what will set this team apart from the rest. That is for certain.

That's one of the reasons why I was so bothered by the blatant showboating against China. I'm hoping that these guys are working harder to gel as a cohesive unit during practice than we've seen in any of the exhibitions so far.
- Winston Churchill

Return to Olympics