RealGM
And1: 41,264

Re: Basketball - Semifinals Aug. 18/19 

Post#161 » by Sedale Threatt » Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:06 pm

Bball0000 wrote:
90sgoat wrote:
Supreme- wrote:
overrated or not, theyre undefeated.

a consequence? maybe you should look up the definition. the depth is a reflection of the talent available in the US

this team has played less than two months together , while other teams have played together for years.

Listen.

Let me know you understand 'total pool of basketball players' and 'basketball players pr. capita'.

Do you understand what it means?

Basketball is like the 5th or 6th most popular sport in Spain, US has many many times the players of Spain, so talking about 'talent' I don't see it. I see two equal teams beaten by depth, because US has many more basketball players. And Spain has doping testing. Lance Armstrong was allowed to dope forever in US. Everyone knows Americans begin doping in high school already.

If you remove those factors, I don't see US superioty, just normal domination due to having a bigger pool of players to choose from.

Nothing 'Dream Team' about it at all. No MJ, Bird, Magic, not even a Barkley or David Robinson. NBA players imo have never looked worse since I began watching.

Lol "doping"? Reach much. That's ridiculous. And it's not football or wrestling or something, being crazy athletic or jumping high doesn't mean someone's going to be good at basketball. It's a game of skill.

What you're saying, you can say about anything. USA could say, "If only we had more people interested in soccer and a different culture, we'd have the best team". Yup. That's how it works. It's that history, culture, pool of players, training, etc. that gives the USA the best players to choose from. If Spain doesn't care about basketball, good for them. We don't care about soccer lol. You become what you prioritize.

You're right though, this USA team is probably the worst mix of players since 2004 bronze team. But injuries happen, Zeka, etc.

Ignore him, it's just a cheap attempt to diminish our success.

Trust me -- nobody chalks up all the World Cups that Brazil has won to their massive population.
Sedale Threatt
RealGM

Post#162 » by Sedale Threatt » Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:07 pm

At any rate, fabulous line by DeAndre -- 9 pts, 16 rebs, 4 blks, even made 4-6 FTs!

In contrast, DeMarcus -- 2 pts, 5 fls in 11 mins.
Badams
Ballboy
And1: 62

Post#163 » by Badams » Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:12 pm

Sedale Threatt wrote:
Bball0000 wrote:
90sgoat wrote:
Listen.

Let me know you understand 'total pool of basketball players' and 'basketball players pr. capita'.

Basketball is like the 5th or 6th most popular sport in Spain, US has many many times the players of Spain, so talking about 'talent' I don't see it. I see two equal teams beaten by depth, because US has many more basketball players. And Spain has doping testing. Lance Armstrong was allowed to dope forever in US. Everyone knows Americans begin doping in high school already.

If you remove those factors, I don't see US superioty, just normal domination due to having a bigger pool of players to choose from.

Nothing 'Dream Team' about it at all. No MJ, Bird, Magic, not even a Barkley or David Robinson. NBA players imo have never looked worse since I began watching.

Lol "doping"? Reach much. That's ridiculous. And it's not football or wrestling or something, being crazy athletic or jumping high doesn't mean someone's going to be good at basketball. It's a game of skill.

What you're saying, you can say about anything. USA could say, "If only we had more people interested in soccer and a different culture, we'd have the best team". Yup. That's how it works. It's that history, culture, pool of players, training, etc. that gives the USA the best players to choose from. If Spain doesn't care about basketball, good for them. We don't care about soccer lol. You become what you prioritize.

You're right though, this USA team is probably the worst mix of players since 2004 bronze team. But injuries happen, Zeka, etc.

Ignore him, it's just a cheap attempt to diminish our success.

Trust me -- nobody chalks up all the World Cups that Brazil has won to their massive population.

But he has it all figured out! Doping and a large population are the only two reasons the US keeps beating the superior white players!
90sgoat
Bench Warmer
And1: 401

Post#164 » by 90sgoat » Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:17 pm

Why are you turning it racial?

I've watched NBA since 1992, I have no problems admitting that MJ, Magic, Ewing, Pippen, Barkley, Malone (big time doper), were in a league of their own.

These new 'stars'? This SoMe generation paid 30 million a year to inch by players far below their payscale? Yeah, that deserves some scorn.
Sedale Threatt
RealGM

Post#165 » by Sedale Threatt » Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:20 pm

"Why are you turning it racial" asks someone who started a thread titled:

Is it racist that team USA basketball has no whites?
Alonzo_Morning
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,624

Post#166 » by Alonzo_Morning » Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:20 pm

Sedale Threatt wrote:At any rate, fabulous line by DeAndre -- 9 pts, 16 rebs, 4 blks, even made 4-6 FTs!

Wasn't 4-6. I saw him miss at least three

He certainly played a nashty game doe
Sedale Threatt
RealGM

Post#167 » by Sedale Threatt » Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:21 pm

Alonzo_Morning wrote:
Sedale Threatt wrote:At any rate, fabulous line by DeAndre -- 9 pts, 16 rebs, 4 blks, even made 4-6 FTs!

Wasn't 4-6. I saw him miss at least three

My bad, misread the box score. 1-4. Still had a great game. He and Klay were the MVPs.
chudak
Senior
And1: 336

Post#168 » by chudak » Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:26 pm

dballislife wrote:i want to say these plays by coach k suck, but what plays

http://www.usab.com/mens/national-team/roster.aspx

look at this coaching staff... and they draw up - nothing? :banghead: :roll:
California Gold
Starter
And1: 2,740

Post#169 » by California Gold » Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:26 pm

90sgoat wrote:
Supreme- wrote:
90sgoat wrote:
This American team is made up of second tier 'stars' and they're very very overrated´. US have Lebron, Curry, AD, who are in a league of their own, the rest are not 'superstars' like the Dream Team were. This team gets by on physique and depth. And depth is a direct consequence of 20 times or so more basketball players pr. capita than other teams.

a consequence? maybe you should look up the definition. the depth is a reflection of the talent available in the US

this team has played less than two months together , while other teams have played together for years.

Listen.

lol You sound like a sore ass loser.

Don't be so upset because we baptize Spain's bitch ass every time we see them even with our B team.
Spanish_Laker
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,010

Post#170 » by Spanish_Laker » Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:27 pm

Well, it was a nice game, but we lost it because we got murdered on the boards. You can't beat a great team with a -20 rebound differential. On the other hand, our role players didn't show up offensively, just Pau...I think we played a fantastic D for 30-35 minutes, but again the rebound was the deciding factor...
Banned after 15 years in this forum for no reason. Farewell RealGM users
Edrees
RealGM
And1: 11,276

Post#171 » by Edrees » Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:35 pm

Enjoy the close victories, when pop takes over it's gonna be a bloodbath every game.
Mr. E
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,510
Location: Defending Planet Earth with a Jet-Pack & a Ray-Gun!

Post#172 » by Mr. E » Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:36 pm

I didn't get to see the game, and I haven't read through this thread, but I have noticed some reports that I'm going to have to look into when I get out of an upcoming appointment. Remember the terms & conditions of this site when you signed up for an account.

If you are posting in anger or outrage then take some time to calm down.
"A fanatic is one who can't change their mind and won't change the subject."
- Winston Churchill
Dupp
RealGM
And1: 66,689

Post#173 » by Dupp » Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:50 pm

Didn't realise Spain and USA was before our game. 6 points... Was it close the whole way? Was USA in cruise control?
90sgoat
Bench Warmer
And1: 401

Post#174 » by 90sgoat » Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:50 pm

Mr. E wrote:I didn't get to see the game, and I haven't read through this thread, but I have noticed some reports that I'm going to have to look into when I get out of an upcoming appointment. Remember the terms & conditions of this site when you signed up for an account.

If you are posting in anger or outrage then take some time to calm down.

Hey man,

I hope those reports are not on me. If so, that's low, when I just present opinions, perhaps a bit heated, and people could debate instead of snitch.
'
However, as a show of good faith I will make sure to not fan any further flames and refrain from posting more in this thread tonight.

8-)
wizfactor94
Rookie
And1: 384

Post#175 » by wizfactor94 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:57 pm

The thing that Americans do not understand is that NBA defense reeks.

People play off man about 3 feet and then expect not to get crapped on.

In Euroleague which I watch a lot now, every possession is key, every defensive possession is played like the last 2 minutes of a close game.

In the NBA the only time defense is played like that is when it is down to the last minutes. The rest of the time it is about 75% effort on defense.

This is why you see guys like Jimmy Butler become a bum, Paul George, Draymond etc

These guys are only good one on one players. Jimmy Butler is like a scrub, the entire world besides the U.S. probably sees him as a complete bum.

Lowry has played some good ball, but in the NBA he is a point guard god.

The reality is simple, NBA teams in the bottom tier would get beat in Euroleague competition IMO , solely because teams in Euro play defense on every possession of the game.

As crazy as it sounds, I think Curry against many teams in Euro would not be as good as he is in the NBA solely because of the style of play. One in that you can contact players unlike the NBA which you can't even breath on.

The one player that would be an automatic monster in Euro is Lebron James

Because he is an ultimate rounded player who knows how to play real basketball. HE does do ISO but that is because it is the NBA game. If he were to play on a team he would be such an amazing player.

If you take a bum like Jimmy Butler and put him on one of these teams he probably would be sitting the bench.
jptremblay
Rookie
And1: 1,215

Post#176 » by jptremblay » Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:02 pm

90sgoat wrote:
Supreme- wrote:
90sgoat wrote:
This American team is made up of second tier 'stars' and they're very very overrated´. US have Lebron, Curry, AD, who are in a league of their own, the rest are not 'superstars' like the Dream Team were. This team gets by on physique and depth. And depth is a direct consequence of 20 times or so more basketball players pr. capita than other teams.

Listen.

Whaaaat? I'm spanish, and thought soccer is number 1 miles ahead of basketball... basketball is clearly #2 in Spain, and miles ahead to from others team sports.
When this account gets more "And1"s than posts written ...then my life will be complete. And maybe it will be the right time to hang it up. (Achieved on 2017-2018 season)...but still here.
Sedale Threatt
RealGM

Post#177 » by Sedale Threatt » Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:05 pm

This is one of my favorite things about the Olympics/World Cup -- using a handful of games every other summer as a referendum on the state of the NBA/U.S. basketball.

As I said a few days ago in another thread, you want a referendum? Nando De Colo was just EuroLeague MVP.

Nando De Colo.
Dupp
RealGM
And1: 66,689

Post#178 » by Dupp » Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:14 pm

The reason the USA dont look immortal is poor team chemistry, not anything to do with the state of the nba. Silly stuff.
jptremblay
Rookie
And1: 1,215

Post#179 » by jptremblay » Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:15 pm

Congrats USA, i'm spaniard and your win was totally deserved.
You can't beat these guys when you aren't protecting your own boards...
But well, i'm pride of our guys...just a shame that Marc Gasol isn't here, and that Pau was playing through pain on right leg...also, we really shoot that bad and besides that we keep it close to the very end...and at some times it seemed that we could tie them...but our constant errors keep them always on the lead.
So again, congrats to the USA, and congrats to my boys, whom while being shorthanded they managed to keep Usa below 85 points, and never gave up.
The sad thing, is that this match probably was the last of our golden generation...And that Pau probably will retire without an olympic Gold medal.
When this account gets more "And1"s than posts written ...then my life will be complete. And maybe it will be the right time to hang it up. (Achieved on 2017-2018 season)...but still here.
wizfactor94
Rookie
And1: 384

Post#180 » by wizfactor94 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:16 pm

Aussies are turd

Return to Olympics