Basketball - Quarterfinals Aug. 16/17

Popovich
Pro Prospect
And1: 293

Re: Basketball - Quarterfinals Aug. 16/17 

Post#21 » by Popovich » Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:17 am

Serbia vs Croatia

Games between these two fears rivals are almost copy-pasted. Its always hard game with lot of tension and pressure on both sides. High risk game for organizations (luckily diaspora of both countries is not as nearly big as it was in Sydney Olympics) so I do not expect some conflicts between fans. So as I said these games are usually hard, nervous, with hard defenses where opponents read each-other because they communicate on the flour on the same language. In head to head Serbia won all played games except minor one when played at some friendly tournament in London. Odds are settled in such a way that again Serbia is favorite but not so big one. So Serbia have to carry tha weight of a favourite. Although Croatia has the quality to answer on the equal terms to Serbia starting 5 it might encounter problems to parry with Serbian bench. I see some interesting duels. To name a few: Nino Bilan vs Miroslav Raduljica advatage here more on Serbian side, Roko Leni Ukic vs Teodosic same case. Saric vs Jokic I can give advantage to Croatians only on their player Simon position. But the most interesting match-up will be Bogdanovic duel. I hope we finally see on big stage who is the original one Bogdanovic.

Some even believe that Croatia is cursed not to take any medal ever after they willingly left the podium for receiving medals in Athens 1995 before ceremony was over. Croatian team decided not to listen Yugoslav anthem and that move was political and unsportsmanlike if you ask me. Maybe they can brake this curse if they win over Serbia, maybe that is the only cure. For Sure Croatia never climbed up to the medal podium after they willingly walked away from it in Athens. Of-course this is not serious stuff but who knows. Serbia must stay focused and full percent ready for this clash.

Pachinko_
RealGM
And1: 23,781

Post#22 » by Pachinko_ » Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:34 am

yeah they were booed big time on that one in Athens. Greeks always with the Serbians (orthodox brothers etc etc).
Well they used to anyway, until 2010 when Krstic threw that chair on Bourousis' head :D

I know there's not many fans in those games but I'd keep some police near the players... just in case
Popovich
Pro Prospect

Post#23 » by Popovich » Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:39 am

Pachinko_ wrote:yeah they were booed big time on that one in Athens. Greeks always with the Serbians (orthodox brothers etc etc).
Well they used to anyway, until Krstic threw that chair on Bourousis' head :D

I know there's not many fans in those games but I'd keep some police near the players... just in case

Yugoslavian side was the one which were booed actually. It was real surprise for Serbian people back than, it was because Serbs were satanazed in all western media. And that fight later was just between some guys, was not enough to make Greek-Serbian relation look bad, I think Teodosic was the one who started all and was mostly guilty.
Pachinko_
RealGM

Post#24 » by Pachinko_ » Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:46 am

Yeah Teodosic is a weird one. I like how some people wonder why he never played in the NBA, I'd love the see the American coaches face when they first saw him light up a cigarette in the locker room :lol:
minami
Senior
And1: 514

Post#25 » by minami » Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:39 pm

Any link for Australia-Lithuania anyone? No chance on national tv here...
Von Bismarck
Pro Prospect
And1: 651

Post#26 » by Von Bismarck » Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:40 pm

Popovich wrote:Some even believe that Croatia is cursed not to take any medal ever after they willingly left the podium for receiving medals in Athens 1995 before ceremony was over. Croatian team decided not to listen Yugoslav anthem and that move was political and unsportsmanlike if you ask me. Maybe they can brake this curse if they win over Serbia, maybe that is the only cure. For Sure Croatia never climbed up to the medal podium after they willingly walked away from it in Athens. Of-course this is not serious stuff but who knows. Serbia must stay focused and full percent ready for this clash.

I could now say that Serbian players provoked Croatians during the tournament while half of the Croatia was burning in flames, but let's not go down that way.

''Curse'' story is ridiculous. It just happened that Serbia had much stronger teams after ''golden'' Croatian generation either retired (Kukoc, Radja, Vrankovic, Tabak, Perasovic) or, unfortunately passed (D. Petrovic).

But as of today, Croatia's future is really bright. Bogdanovic, Saric, Hezonja + youngins like Bender, Zubac, Zizic etc. Croatia will be major power for the next decade for sure. Serbia will too so we'll have some epic games in the future.
Von Bismarck
Pro Prospect

Post#27 » by Von Bismarck » Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:42 pm

minami wrote:Any link for Australia-Lithuania anyone? No chance on national tv here...

https://mediahint.com/login

Add this plugin and you can watch all the Olympic events through BBC page (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/rio-2016)

It's in full HD.

p.s pay attention that the plugin is ON while watching.
minami
Senior

Post#28 » by minami » Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:50 pm

Installed, thanks!
Popovich
Pro Prospect

Post#29 » by Popovich » Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:05 pm

Von Bismarck wrote:
Popovich wrote:Some even believe that Croatia is cursed not to take any medal ever after they willingly left the podium for receiving medals in Athens 1995 before ceremony was over. Croatian team decided not to listen Yugoslav anthem and that move was political and unsportsmanlike if you ask me. Maybe they can brake this curse if they win over Serbia, maybe that is the only cure. For Sure Croatia never climbed up to the medal podium after they willingly walked away from it in Athens. Of-course this is not serious stuff but who knows. Serbia must stay focused and full percent ready for this clash.

I could now say that Serbian players provoked Croatians during the tournament while half of the Croatia was burning in flames, but let's not go down that way.

''Curse'' story is ridiculous. It just happened that Serbia had much stronger teams after ''golden'' Croatian generation either retired (Kukoc, Radja, Vrankovic, Tabak, Perasovic) or, unfortunately passed (D. Petrovic).

But as of today, Croatia's future is really bright. Bogdanovic, Saric, Hezonja + youngins like Bender, Zubac, Zizic etc. Croatia will be major power for the next decade for sure. Serbia will too so we'll have some epic games in the future.

I will not fall into arguing here and specially about non-basketball issues, lets skip politics talk please. In my opinion I would not be shocked if Croatia wins tomorrow morning , sooner or later it will happen, that is how probability law works. Only I do think Serbia has the deeper bench and overall better team, bookies seems to share my views too.
Pachinko_
RealGM

Post#30 » by Pachinko_ » Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:07 pm

does anybody know how the pairs cross in the semis?
who does Australia play if they go through?
Apollo64
Starter
And1: 724

Post#31 » by Apollo64 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:08 pm

Huge day for basketball with so many narratives. Two major rivalry games and also (probably) the last game together of the golden Argentinian generation.
minami
Senior

Post#32 » by minami » Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:25 pm

Yes, things are getting serious and the matches are mouthwatering. Last time for the Spanish generation also, and France to some extent (Parker, Diaw...). Can´t wait.
Dupp
RealGM
And1: 66,689

Post#33 » by Dupp » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:13 pm

It's peanut butter and Delly time
minami
Senior

Post#34 » by minami » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:19 pm

The winner here is the green and yellow combination surely...
Pachinko_
RealGM

Post#35 » by Pachinko_ » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:21 pm

Delly!!!
NewWolvesOrder
Head Coach
And1: 1,262

Post#36 » by NewWolvesOrder » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:24 pm

Man, what a day of basketball :droop:
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,971

Post#37 » by Diop » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:26 pm

Dupp wrote:It's peanut butter and Delly time

He's seriously made me erect
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,971

Post#38 » by Diop » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:28 pm

Seriously.......why can't more be like patty mills
Von Bismarck
Pro Prospect

Post#39 » by Von Bismarck » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:29 pm

Lithuania is unrecognizable in the last 3 games (Spain, Croatia and now Australia).

But what the hell happened to Valanciunas, seriously, he's awful in throughout the whole tournament.

As an European, I still support Lithuania and hopefully they'll be able to pick themselves up and make this game interesting.
Dupp
RealGM
And1: 66,689

Post#40 » by Dupp » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:31 pm

Diop wrote:
Dupp wrote:It's peanut butter and Delly time

He's seriously made me erect

Pics?!

Return to Olympics