Predict the winner of 2016 Olympics Bids

canoner
Lead Assistant
And1: 0

Re: Predict the winner of 2016 Olympics Bids 

Post#21 » by canoner » Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:09 am

crime concern for Rio is probably like pollution concern for Beijing.
MAQ
RealGM
And1: 2,895

Post#22 » by MAQ » Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:22 am

canoner wrote:I think Rio deserves it. South America deserves a chance.

There are several things work against Chicago. Transportation system being one (still loads better than NYC IMO). Also, Atlanta got the 1996 game, LA got the 1984 game. If Chicago got 2016, it would be the 2nd time in 20 years and 3rd time in 32 years that the olympic games are held in one country. If I were IOC I wouldn't want that.

Besides, I am not sure it makes economic sense for Chicago to hold 2016. It costs a lot of money that state and federal governments don't have.

i dont see transportation in chicago being a problem. they've got buses...can get more. and they dont put all of their trains in use at the same time. they could add more if need be.

of course they said the transportation needs to be modernized....and i cant really see that happening.
GYBE wrote:I don't think my behaviour changes at all when I'm drunk. But when I'm wasted, my girlfriend becomes a real klutz. She starts walking into doors and falling down stairs. Weird.
canoner
Lead Assistant
And1: 0

Post#23 » by canoner » Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:32 am

maq25060 wrote:

There are several things work against Chicago. Transportation system being one (still loads better than NYC IMO). Also, Atlanta got the 1996 game, LA got the 1984 game. If Chicago got 2016, it would be the 2nd time in 20 years and 3rd time in 32 years that the olympic games are held in one country. If I were IOC I wouldn't want that.

Besides, I am not sure it makes economic sense for Chicago to hold 2016. It costs a lot of money that state and federal governments don't have.

i dont see transportation in chicago being a problem. they've got buses...can get more. and they dont put all of their trains in use at the same time. they could add more if need be.

of course they said the transportation needs to be modernized....and i cant really see that happening.

Buses are ok if you only take major routes, such as lake shore dr. or Michigan Ave. If you reserve those routes for the game only, the rest of the city will come to a halt. There is little can be done to "modernize" the system. Stations cannot be easily expanded or renovated. Maybe they should consider putting some venues and athletes in the suburbs to the west of the city or even at UIUC.
MAQ
RealGM
And1: 2,895

Post#24 » by MAQ » Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:40 am

canoner wrote:
maq25060 wrote:

Buses are ok if you only take major routes, such as lake shore dr. or Michigan Ave. If you reserve those routes for the game only, the rest of the city will come to a halt. There is little can be done to "modernize" the system. Stations cannot be easily expanded or renovated. Maybe they should consider putting some venues and athletes in the suburbs to the west of the city or even at UIUC.

the rest of the city wont hault. im sure they can provide the proper amount of buses needed to not only get to the games (it's not like they have to make major turns. you yourself said they can get on michigan and make it where they need to. if they are building venues to hold the games, why wouldnt they be able to add buses?

i agree about the "modernization". cant do much about those crappy looking train stations unless they make entire new routes...but how would that even happen? is there enough time? enough money?(of course not)

players from other countries often stay at citizens homes. there are plenty of south and west suburbs near chicago. of course not every player is going to stay at someones house, but im sure they'll be able to provide dorms near downtown as well as hotel accommodations for others.

ugh, why am i even making a case for chicago? i dont even really want the games.
GYBE wrote:I don't think my behaviour changes at all when I'm drunk. But when I'm wasted, my girlfriend becomes a real klutz. She starts walking into doors and falling down stairs. Weird.
The Duke
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,178

Post#25 » by The Duke » Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:09 pm

If the Oympic Committees likes the whole "lasting legacy" kinda thing, there will be nuthing that stands in the way of Rio and South America getting these games.

.... its pretty shameful that the games have not gone to that continent as of yet, but I can understand that maybe bid cities before were not ready (for different reasons, or had high concerns).... I'm pulling for Rio

Did I mention ... Brazilian girls and cheerleaders EVERYWHERE
BlackMamba
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 81

Post#26 » by BlackMamba » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:58 pm

what i'm not sure about is how are rio's and brazlis economy to make such an event.
Blame Rasho
On Leave
And1: 8,486

Post#27 » by Blame Rasho » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:00 pm

BlackMamba wrote:what i'm not sure about is how are rio's and brazlis economy to make such an event.

One word...Petrobras.
BlackMamba
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#28 » by BlackMamba » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:06 pm

yeah, but after that? brazil has A LOT of poverty.
Rasho Brezec
Knicks Forum Euro Scout
And1: 18,400

Post#29 » by Rasho Brezec » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:12 pm

BlackMamba wrote:yeah, but after that? brazil has A LOT of poverty.

And a lot of criminal, especially in Rio.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,910

Post#30 » by dougthonus » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:52 pm

I live near Chicago, but I really hope they don't win the bid. It's basically pissing money down the toilet to host the games from as a practical financial matter.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
dacher
Lead Assistant
And1: 1

Post#31 » by dacher » Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:22 pm

China has a lot of poverty too.

I don't know how bad crime is, or if it's getting better in Brazil. I've seen the movie City of God. But I've watched Godfather and lots of CSI too, and those shows aren't accurate portrayals of America's crime reality.

Security will always be a main concern.
BlackMamba
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#32 » by BlackMamba » Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:33 pm

well, there is a lot of crime because of poverty, the famous favelas exist in great numbers.

and china has a lot of poverty too because they have the largest population in the world, but the government did have the resources and the manpower to overcome it. or at least that's what i think...
Da Schwab
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,619

Post#33 » by Da Schwab » Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:34 pm

dougthonus wrote:I live near Chicago, but I really hope they don't win the bid. It's basically pissing money down the toilet to host the games from as a practical financial matter.

Won't there be millions of dollars of revenue coming with Olympics, as a source to get most of that money back? I'd like to see what China pulled in after these Games.
The Duke
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,178

Post#34 » by The Duke » Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:19 pm

Fact:

Only 1984 Los Angelos Olympics MADE money... and that was because they were allowed to host the games a 2nd time, when the original host could not deliver, and LA was choosen again.
Da Schwab
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,619

Post#35 » by Da Schwab » Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:35 pm

The Duke wrote:Fact:

Only 1984 Los Angelos Olympics MADE money... and that was because they were allowed to host the games a 2nd time, when the original host could not deliver, and LA was choosen again.

Wow, that surprises me quite a bit.
BlackMamba
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#36 » by BlackMamba » Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:46 pm

supossedly beijing was going to set a new record on revenue for the olympics, but i don't know it that is for the olympic comitee or for the city.
hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,585

Post#37 » by hermes » Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:27 pm

The Duke wrote:
Did I mention ... Brazilian girls and cheerleaders EVERYWHERE

how could i forget! forget Chicago, i'm supporting Rio
hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,585

Post#38 » by hermes » Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:28 pm

BlackMamba wrote:supossedly beijing was going to set a new record on revenue for the olympics, but i don't know it that is for the olympic comitee or for the city.

probably not $50 billion though, so i'm guessing they didn't break even

would Rio have any transportation problems? or is it just crime their worried about
BlackMamba
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#39 » by BlackMamba » Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:58 pm

11 million is the population

Transportation
In Rio de Janeiro, buses are the main means of mass transportation. There are nearly 440 municipal bus lines serving over four million passengers each day, in addition to intercity lines. Although cheap and frequent, Rio's transportation policy has been moving towards trains and subway in order to reduce traffic jams and increase capacity. Driving in Rio de Janeiro, as in most large cities of Brazil, might not be the best choice due to the large car fleet. The city is served by a number of expressways though traffic jams are very common.

i suppose any city hosting the olympics is going to have transportation problems, normally they citizen's needs aren't satisfied, now add tons of tourists, athletes and media...
WEFFPIM
RealGM
And1: 473

Post#40 » by WEFFPIM » Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:02 pm

I want it to be Chicago, because how many opportunities will you have to actually see the Olympics live in person?
ReddWing wrote:Being a fan of this team is tantamount to being in hell...There is no Christ that is coming to save us. Even if there was, we'd trade him for a 28 year old wing.

Return to Olympics