bb22
Starter
And1: 1,019

Re: Basketball - Day 5 Game Thread Aug. 10th 

Post#301 » by bb22 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:54 am

90sgoat wrote:
wilt wrote:
90sgoat wrote:
He dominated against an all star team? Should't that tell you something more than being a backup point guard?

did you really read my post ? The NBA schedule and style of play is too physically demanding to think he could realistically be a 35 minute player. There are also a ton of things he does exceptionally well that are a non-factor in the NBA (like moving off the ball, hand-offs, moving the ball into the midrange area strategically). He´s not fast enough or strong enough to consistently get to the basket in the NBA, so he is kinda limited to being a passer and a shooter off the ball. Internationally, even against the US, there are much more opportunities to free him up to get to the FT-line extended and then pass the ball to the wing or a cutter.

Perhaps, but that's on the NBA having strange rules. The FIBA rules are real basketball and you don't have to go back further than the 90s to find virtually identical rules. Australia barely played zone D btw.

You are officially crowned the FIBA rules and regulations advocate on this forum.
deflated
Sophomore
And1: 74

Post#302 » by deflated » Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:58 am

Harden2Dwight wrote:
deflated wrote:
Harden2Dwight wrote:
So... then you agree Cousins is letting him get destroyed? Him being in his head has everything to do with Cousins. If Cousins had a cooler head and put his ego aside, he would easily dominate.

You're basically preaching to the choir with your post. So either you thought I said something different or you just said one of the stupidest things you've ever read too. We're both pretty much saying the same thing, just differently.

Stop being obtuse. BBIQ is as much of a talent as a 40" vertical and the difference between Bogut and Cousins in on-court intelligence is a yawning chasm. Bogut on the Warriors had no problem playing Cousins, he was so easy to manipulate.

Is Bogut better than Cousins? Yes or no? If you're better than someone, especially by quite a large margin, no one can make you play the way you want to play other than yourself. That's not a slight to Bogut. You could say Bogut is smarter, sure, that still doesn't make him a better player or a better talent. Cousins isn't stupid. He's a hard head with a temper. Rasheed Wallace was similar to that too, but Rasheed never really let it affect his play. I'm not being obtuse. Try again.

So whichever NBA team has the 5 players with the better physical tools wins every time? Bogut is smarter, a better ballhander and a better technical defender than Cousins, Cousins is a physical beast and a better scorer. Guess what, Bogut's particular set of skills gives Cousins fits no matter what you think of their respective levels. Bogut wins far more of their match-ups than your simple view allows.
bklynspursfan
Junior
And1: 307

Post#303 » by bklynspursfan » Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:02 am

Aussie executed much better than US. US just hit some tough shots. Well, Melo and Irving.

It's interesting, Marc Stein reported the Aussie's wouldn't show their full hand tonight knowing another matchup is possible. They only used half their playbook, or less. You can tell if you move the ball against the US, their offense will struggle cause they'll expend more energy.

1 adjustment I think is inevitable is not having Baynes guard Melo. If they meet, I don't think it's a sure thing the US wins
California Gold
Starter
And1: 2,740

Post#304 » by California Gold » Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:02 am

deflated wrote:
Harden2Dwight wrote:
deflated wrote:
Stop being obtuse. BBIQ is as much of a talent as a 40" vertical and the difference between Bogut and Cousins in on-court intelligence is a yawning chasm. Bogut on the Warriors had no problem playing Cousins, he was so easy to manipulate.

Is Bogut better than Cousins? Yes or no? If you're better than someone, especially by quite a large margin, no one can make you play the way you want to play other than yourself. That's not a slight to Bogut. You could say Bogut is smarter, sure, that still doesn't make him a better player or a better talent. Cousins isn't stupid. He's a hard head with a temper. Rasheed Wallace was similar to that too, but Rasheed never really let it affect his play. I'm not being obtuse. Try again.

So whichever NBA team has the 5 players with the better physical tools wins every time? Bogut is smarter, a better ballhander and a better technical defender than Cousins, Cousins is a physical beast and a better scorer. Guess what, Bogut's particular set of skills gives Cousins fits no matter what you think of their respective levels. Bogut wins far more of their match-ups than your simple view allows.

The person who said Bogut is in Cousins' head is correct. That is the exact reason for why he struggles against Bogut. Again, I'm not taking anything away from Bogut. But Cousins should be destroying him if it wasn't for that one reason. It's not Bogut's skills, it's Cousins' mental lapse. I haven't even said anything about physical tools, I'm talking about TALENT. Talent does not mean physical tools.

If you're trying to say Bogut is just a bad match up for Cousins, sure I could agree with that. Cousins should still have played a lot better, and he was a non factor today mostly due to the fact that he looked like he didn't give two ****. That's all Cousins and you can say that's Bogut being in his head or whatever. The point is it's on Cousins, not Bogut making Cousins the way he played today.
California Gold
Starter

Post#305 » by California Gold » Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:04 am

bklynspursfan wrote:Aussie executed much better than US. US just hit some tough shots. Well, Melo and Irving.

It's interesting, Marc Stein reported the Aussie's wouldn't show their full hand tonight knowing another matchup is possible. They only used half their playbook, or less. You can tell if you move the ball against the US, their offense will struggle cause they'll expend more energy.

1 adjustment I think is inevitable is not having Baynes guard Melo. If they meet, I don't think it's a sure thing the US wins

You're only looking at it from one side. Just as well as Australia played, the U.S. equally played worse. It's a sure thing the U.S. wins if they play the way they normally do with some energy on defense.
bklynspursfan
Junior

Post#306 » by bklynspursfan » Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:15 am

Harden2Dwight wrote:
bklynspursfan wrote:Aussie executed much better than US. US just hit some tough shots. Well, Melo and Irving.

You're only looking at it from one side. Just as well as Australia played, the U.S. equally played worse. It's a sure thing the U.S. wins if they play the way they normally do with some energy on defense.

They did, but Aussie had something to do with that. I don't think anything is a given if they meet up. It's not like we haven't seen upsets and this isn't the A squad for US. They don't have great defenders all positions either. Australia has talent and continuity, and they can win IMO.

Now I know Klay and Durant missed some good looks, but Melo also hit some really tough shots. US can look like they're playing great defense against some of these weaker teams, but against a cohesive unit? They need more than their athleticism. They need high bbiq play and decisions. They're dangerous when they're out and running. If Australia plays under control and makes smart passes, US won't be able to run as much. It's not about just playing harder, they need to be smarter.
California Gold
Starter

Post#307 » by California Gold » Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:21 am

bklynspursfan wrote:
Harden2Dwight wrote:

They did, but Aussie had something to do with that. I don't think anything is a given if they meet up. It's not like we haven't seen upsets and this isn't the A squad for US. They don't have great defenders all positions either. Australia has talent and continuity, and they can win IMO.

Now I know Klay and Durant missed some good looks, but Melo also hit some really tough shots. US can look like they're playing great defense against some of these weaker teams, but against a cohesive unit? They need more than their athleticism. They need high bbiq play and decisions. They're dangerous when they're out and running. If Australia plays under control and makes smart passes, US won't be able to run as much. It's not about just playing harder, they need to be smarter.

Sure Australia had SOME to do with that. But again, some isn't all. The U.S. not competing on defense was more to do with a lack of effort than anything Australia did. You don't need to have great defenders at all positions. They have one of the best defensive lineups in the world on this team though. Defense is more about effort than talent.

Just because Australia has talent and continuity doesn't mean they can win. If the U.S. plays harder, it's theirs to lose and by a good margin too. I'm sorry but I don't buy that just because Australia was cohesive is why they didn't look great defensively. If they put in even half as much effort as they did today, they win by 10-15 pretty easily. You're giving way too much credit to Australia and not enough slack to the U.S.
Spens1
RealGM
And1: 3,878

Post#308 » by Spens1 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:23 am

what a game from us, bit frustrating we were missing 3's like crazy but damn we kept up and kept up well, if it weren't for Melo who knows what could have happened.

Mills was amazing today, honestly San Antonio need to give him a bigger role, he'll do a great job for them.

if Bogut remains healthy for Dallas they're going to be a top 6 team for one main reason, Bogut's passing is going to be key for the other 4 players out of the post and around the place, Dirk will get more open shots with him at C.

After seeing that if we don't get a medal at least i will be dissapointed because we have shown we can hang with the best (even if it wasn't the full strength squad, that is an all star team regardless). We can pull this off

Ryan Broekoff should be in the NBA also as an end of the bench guy or a rotation guy on a bad team, he's pretty good.
AussieCeltic
RealGM
And1: 21,650

Post#309 » by AussieCeltic » Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:23 am

Great game from the Boomers, I was really proud of how we played. Down 5 with 2 mins to go, I thought we could have stole one but Kyrie and Melo were just too good in the clutch.

I love our style of play. Tough and physical on defense and slick cutting and passing on the offensive end. Bogut passing in the high post is a true thing of beauty.

I knew our physicality would worry the US, I just didn't think it would worry them that much. Harden2Dwight seems to think the US just played poorly, but I attribute most of that to the Boomers tough defense.

The fact that PG is already complaining and calling us dirty is laughable and shows how soft the NBA has become. Superstars didn't get their ticky tack fouls that they're used to (although there were some laughable ones both ways).
eyeatoma wrote:IMO the bigger issue is that Denver and the Jazz are allowed to host games at a high altitute, when they have literally had news exposes saying how it's a clear competetive advantage to play there.
Spens1
RealGM
And1: 3,878

Post#310 » by Spens1 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:29 am

oh yeah Kyrie you chose the wrong country ;)

Would have dropped 50 that game had he been on our team :lol:
Worldwide
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#311 » by Worldwide » Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:46 am

I hope America and Australia play again. That was fun to watch. I doubt any of America's games will be that close against any other countries.
First Step
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,929

Post#312 » by First Step » Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:48 am

zimpy27 wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:I love Paul George. The man plays without fear.

I rescind my comment and lost all respect. The guy just called the Australia team 'dirty'. What a cry baby. :nonono:

I think he was referring to being actually dirty. The Australian team doesn't get to stay on a luxury cruise ship with state of the art washing facilities.

The Boomers are staying in the Olympic Village, and reports have suggested they don't have regular access to showers.
bklynspursfan
Junior

Post#313 » by bklynspursfan » Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:59 am

Harden2Dwight wrote:
bklynspursfan wrote:
Harden2Dwight wrote:

Sure Australia had SOME to do with that. But again, some isn't all. The U.S. not competing on defense was more to do with a lack of effort than anything Australia did. You don't need to have great defenders at all positions. They have one of the best defensive lineups in the world on this team though. Defense is more about effort than talent.

Just because Australia has talent and continuity doesn't mean they can win. If the U.S. plays harder, it's theirs to lose and by a good margin too. I'm sorry but I don't buy that just because Australia was cohesive is why they didn't look great defensively. If they put in even half as much effort as they did today, they win by 10-15 pretty easily. You're giving way too much credit to Australia and not enough slack to the U.S.

Certainly your opinion to think Aussie can't win. just as you say I'm giving Aussie too much credit, it seems you are for the US. This isn't the last team to play in London. This team is not a proven one, and they have holes. It would take a near perfect game for Aussie to pull it off, but to say it can't be done ? Not buying it
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 37,454

Post#314 » by zimpy27 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:08 am

It's a shame that Simmons, Exum and Thon aren't up to scratch yet. They would've made a difference on the bench here.

I guess we wait until 2020 to see this:

Mills, Exum, Simmons, Thon, Bogut with a bench of Delly, Broekhoff, Ingles, Gak, Baynes

That team might win gold.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
Carlton Blue
Ballboy
And1: 19

Post#315 » by Carlton Blue » Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:10 am

The difference in the two sides is Australia embrace the concept of team, The USA are a team but only in name.

There's playing for your country and then there's going to war for your country.

US basketball too often just turns up and plays hero ball while those nations with lesser talented teams often give their heart and soul for their countries team.
Zombiesonics
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,213

Post#316 » by Zombiesonics » Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:10 am

zimpy27 wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:I love Paul George. The man plays without fear.

I rescind my comment and lost all respect. The guy just called the Australia team 'dirty'. What a cry baby. :nonono:

delly was up to his usual shenanigans, did you miss him clamp DJ when he went for a board? the "olynyk love" play? Also bogut had a number of fouls that could be classified as dirty, the main one when he body checked irving. lets not sit here and act like bogut and delly are choir boys
DaleyBlind
Veteran
And1: 1,832

Post#317 » by DaleyBlind » Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:10 am

Fun game to watch, Paul George embarrassed himself with that dirty comment though.
Zombiesonics
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,213

Post#318 » by Zombiesonics » Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:12 am

Carlton Blue wrote:There difference in the two sides is Australia embrace the concept of team, The USA are a team but only in name.

There's playing for your country and then there's going to war for your country.

US basketball too often just turns up and plays hero ball while those nations with lesser talented teams often give trheir heart and soul for their country.

:lol: what a ridiculous statement. so australia cares more about playing for their nation than melo and co?
ciueli
Analyst
And1: 2,314

Post#319 » by ciueli » Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:14 am

This game was brutal to watch. There were rebounds off of missed shots that it seemed no one was going to get because big men were so tangled up. The FIBA referees are horrible because they would miss egregious stuff but call minor contact at other times. Even worse is the crazy FIBA rules that allow guys to just park themselves in the lane all day long on defence, turning the game into a 3 point shooting competition. It's gotten bad enough in the NBA but it's worse in FIBA because of the shorter 3 point line and no 3 second defence call.
Carlton Blue
Ballboy
And1: 19

Post#320 » by Carlton Blue » Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:14 am

Zombiesonics wrote:
Carlton Blue wrote:There difference in the two sides is Australia embrace the concept of team, The USA are a team but only in name.

US basketball too often just turns up and plays hero ball while those nations with lesser talented teams often give trheir heart and soul for their country.

:lol: what a ridiculous statement. so australia cares more about playing for their nation than melo and co?

Absolutely, 150% so.

What's ridiculous is that you think these overinflated egos on the US team are all pulling together and leaving their egos at the door when they check in.

Return to Olympics