Olympic Boxing...

Blame Rasho
On Leave
And1: 8,483

Re: Olympic Boxing... 

Post#41 » by Blame Rasho » Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:13 am

I hate the boxing... since when is China a boxing powerhouse? The sport was banned for years and now they are beating Cubans? Something is wrong.
ivDT
RealGM
And1: 1,579

Post#42 » by ivDT » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:18 am

Blame Rasho wrote:I hate the boxing... since when is China a boxing powerhouse? The sport was banned for years and now they are beating Cubans? Something is wrong.

co-sign.

the whole thing's been a joke.

and now i'm hearing that the IOC has approved women's boxing for the next olympics.

why even bother?
cowboyronnie
RealGM
And1: 1,465

Post#43 » by cowboyronnie » Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:00 pm

Ukrainian featherweight guy!!!

IDK what the rate is that these guys become pro sensations, but that was a fantastic finishing.
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
manun
Lead Assistant
And1: 57

Post#44 » by manun » Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:43 am

How can they even show this ****.... i keep seeing a dude aggressive giving punches and hes no awarded but then i see a dude fall down and the other dude doesnt get points. Take away the damn sport, only one i liked was a cuban dude that was aggressive all the way. He lost because the other dude poked his head....

Ron ron on how commited he is to the team.
If he tells me to jump off the building, I'll jump off the building.
Blame Rasho
On Leave

Post#45 » by Blame Rasho » Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:24 am

It is pretty bad when both the US and Cuba agree on something.

I am disappointed with what went on...
Blame Rasho
On Leave

Post#46 » by Blame Rasho » Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:00 am

manun wrote:How can they even show this ****.... i keep seeing a dude aggressive giving punches and hes no awarded but then i see a dude fall down and the other dude doesnt get points. Take away the damn sport, only one i liked was a cuban dude that was aggressive all the way. He lost because the other dude poked his head....

The International Boxing Association has suspended an official over 'possible attempts of manipulation' at the Beijing Olympic Games.

The AIBA said in an official statement that Romanian technical delegate Rudel Obreja faces disciplinary charges over feared interference with the make-up of the fight judging panels.

The AIBA revealed it had learned of the possible scandal involving its own staff and competition officials, two months before the Olympics.

It said "a number of steps" were put into place to stamp it out.

The AIBA also noted that when "the situation became more serious" it also notified the IOC sports department of the problem. It said the IOC provided an independent observer to review the situation.

The statement said that as "additional information regarding possible attempts of manipulation emerged the AIBA Executive Committee Bureau suspended Mr Obreja on August 22 from the competition."

Obreja earlier called an impromptu press conference at which he made serious allegations against senior AIBA officials.

The Olympics has seen several judging controversies with boxers from Algeria, France and Ireland all crying foul.

On Friday, Zhang Xiaoping reached the light-heavyweight final when he drew 4-4 against Kazakhstan's Yerkebulan Shynaliyev before being given the decision in another controversial fight.

The fight ended in a draw despite Zhang being given a point at the end of the third round that many believed should have gone to Shynaliyev.
\

Kinda funny that this went under the radar....
canoner
Lead Assistant
And1: 0

Post#47 » by canoner » Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:31 am

Blame Rasho wrote:I hate the boxing... since when is China a boxing powerhouse? The sport was banned for years and now they are beating Cubans? Something is wrong.

I don't know what you are implying. Here is the medalist list from AIBA World Boxing Championship Chicago 2007. China won one gold and 4 bronzes in Chicago. Maybe the host city Chicago was helping China too?

http://www.aiba.org/documents/site1/wch ... llists.pdf
Blame Rasho
On Leave

Post#48 » by Blame Rasho » Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:37 am

canoner wrote:

I don't know what you are implying. Here is the medalist list from AIBA World Boxing Championship Chicago 2007. China won one gold and 4 bronzes in Chicago. Maybe the host city Chicago was helping China too?

I understand that you are in the pro China crowd, but you fail to take into account that many Latin nations didn't send their boxers to the Chicago. I doubt that you saw any of the boxing or even a boxing fan so why are you even commenting on this?

China got many favorable calls, it isn't my fault that you can't deal with it
Blame Rasho
On Leave

Post#49 » by Blame Rasho » Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:44 am

Zhang Xiaoping shouldn't have gotten metal much less a gold... He got two gifts from the judges... one by Yerkebulan Shynaliyev and in the gold metal match vs Kenny Egan.
canoner
Lead Assistant
And1: 0

Post#50 » by canoner » Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:48 pm

I was commenting on your question regarding when China became a factor in amature boxing. Things change fast when it comes to China, holding onto your old impression is a dangerous exercise. The other guy who won gold this time won a bronze in Athens. So it is not like China came out of nowhere.

Regarding Zhang, the semi-final was 4-4, the call could go either way, 50-50 chance. The final was 11-7, how is that a gift from refs?
dacher
Lead Assistant
And1: 1

Post#51 » by dacher » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:05 pm

Why can't olympic style boxing go high tech with fencing-type sensors?
Dry_Fish
RealGM
And1: 8,385

Post#52 » by Dry_Fish » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:51 pm

Blame Rasho wrote:Zhang Xiaoping shouldn't have gotten metal much less a gold... He got two gifts from the judges... one by Yerkebulan Shynaliyev and in the gold metal match vs Kenny Egan.

damn I felt for Egan. They show a short clip of the medal ceremony and Egan kissing the gold medal from the Chinese boxer. He knew it was his. The whole scoring thing seem random at time. I made an attempt to avoid watching the matches.
Blame Rasho
On Leave

Post#53 » by Blame Rasho » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:57 pm

canoner wrote:I was commenting on your question regarding when China became a factor in amature boxing. Things change fast when it comes to China, holding onto your old impression is a dangerous exercise. The other guy who won gold this time won a bronze in Athens. So it is not like China came out of nowhere.

Regarding Zhang, the semi-final was 4-4, the call could go either way, 50-50 chance. The final was 11-7, how is that a gift from refs?

Someone just proved their ignorance... thank you. It is clear that you didn't see the fight so keep your misguided and frankly stupid opinion to yourself.
dsorc
Pro Prospect
And1: 91

Post#54 » by dsorc » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:49 am

dacher wrote:Why can't olympic style boxing go high tech with fencing-type sensors?

This is exactly what's wrong with Olympic boxing. They've neutered the sport and made into fencing with gloves. Let the guys actually box and stop all this touches crap.
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets
And1: 13,969

Post#55 » by Rich Rane » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:01 am

canoner wrote:

In terms of boxing talent sent there, that was a weak amateur tournament. Not a great example of China ever being a supreme boxing powerhouse. Before you even think it, this isn't a world against China thing. This is more about the sport of Olympic boxing and why it's such a farce now.
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets
And1: 13,969

Post#56 » by Rich Rane » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:16 am

dsorc wrote:
dacher wrote:Why can't olympic style boxing go high tech with fencing-type sensors?

This is exactly what's wrong with Olympic boxing. They've neutered the sport and made into fencing with gloves. Let the guys actually box and stop all this touches crap.

Computerized scoring...the downfall of Olympic boxing (At least it is for me. I watched one match and I will never watch another one again). Three out of five judges have to push a button corresponding to the boxer that just dealt a good blow. The drawback? It has to be within one second of the first button pushed.
BlackMamba
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 81

Post#57 » by BlackMamba » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:03 pm

just a question for all the better knowers of boxing, why isn't olympic boxing scored as pro boxing?
Blame Rasho
On Leave

Post#58 » by Blame Rasho » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:41 pm

BlackMamba wrote:just a question for all the better knowers of boxing, why isn't olympic boxing scored as pro boxing?

They wanted to get rid of debacles like the RRJ incident in Seoul and now use a point system that has brought even more criticism. It used to be that there were 5 judges and they simply said who was the winner at the end of the 4 rounds.

You can't have a 10 point must system when the rounds are only 2 min long and 4 rounds long. You would have little little to judge it on and there would/could be many draws and that wrecks havoc when you have 16 fighters fighting in a weight division.

All of this would have been fixed if the IOC simply awarded the gold to RRJ when the host country utterly cheated and got a gold metal by influencing the judges.
BlackMamba
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 81

Post#59 » by BlackMamba » Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:01 pm

RRJ? sorry...
Blame Rasho
On Leave

Post#60 » by Blame Rasho » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:32 pm

BlackMamba wrote:RRJ? sorry...

Roy Jones Jr....

He got screwed out of a gold metal due to the host city wine and dining the judges before the contest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0cNugcG6zg

Here is the fight... you tell me he doesn't deserve the gold...

Return to Olympics