Lead Assistant
And1: 3,425

Re: Tokyo Olympic Basketball Tournament Discussion 

Post#4062 » by MrPerfect1 » Sat Aug 7, 2021 12:56 pm

FreeThrowLine wrote:
MrPerfect1 wrote:
FreeThrowLine wrote:
No he’s not :banghead:

USA has a million good shooters and scorers, they only have 1 great defensive wing who looks to not just get his own.

There is a reaon USA struggled much more until he arrived.

Not a single one of those “million good shooters and scorers” was doing a damn thing vs Australia in the first half while KD was keeping the US from getting blown out

Holidays contribution to the team is much easier to replace than Durants

Imagine jumping to conclusions from 1 half. Some of the players hardly even played the 1st half.

There are numerous players on the team with shooting percentages not far from Durant.

There is no wing defender on the team even close to Jrue. What other primary ball handler on the team other than Jrue thinks pass 1st?

Team USA lost 3 games recently. 2 of those were games Jrue missed. Durant played in both.
Tecmo
Senior
And1: 219

Post#4063 » by Tecmo » Sat Aug 7, 2021 12:57 pm

Grats to Australia for getting a medal!
syntax
Sixth Man
And1: 651

Post#4064 » by syntax » Sat Aug 7, 2021 12:57 pm

brettski
Analyst
And1: 1,733

Post#4065 » by brettski » Sat Aug 7, 2021 12:58 pm

EmperorLocky wrote:
brettski wrote:Doncic yapping at Thybulle at the end there then walking off the court with time left. Sums his personality up perfectly

Thybulle gave it back. Which is fair enough. Doncic could not score when Thybulle was on him. Defensive juggernaut and owned Doncic's soul this game.

he did, but it was more the walking off the court bitching. When the game ends you leave it there and congratulate your opponent.
MilBucksBackOnTop06 wrote:Mark my words....Gooden will be this year's teams MVP. Watch and see.....

http://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1139340&start=15&p=29252753&view=show#p29252753
Dupp
RealGM
And1: 66,689

Post#4066 » by Dupp » Sat Aug 7, 2021 12:58 pm

brettski wrote:As an Australian Bucks fan this has been a pretty great last couple of months.

Word
Johnny Firpo
RealGM
And1: 8,901

Post#4067 » by Johnny Firpo » Sat Aug 7, 2021 12:58 pm

brettski wrote:
EmperorLocky wrote:
brettski wrote:Doncic yapping at Thybulle at the end there then walking off the court with time left. Sums his personality up perfectly

Thybulle gave it back. Which is fair enough. Doncic could not score when Thybulle was on him. Defensive juggernaut and owned Doncic's soul this game.

he did, but it was more the walking off the court bitching. When the game ends you leave it there and congratulate your opponent.

He congratulated later, which is good enough, right?
Dupp
RealGM
And1: 66,689

Post#4068 » by Dupp » Sat Aug 7, 2021 12:59 pm

Diop wrote:Philly should have traded Simmons for Patty

Spurs better off letting patty walk then taking on bens contract
EmperorLocky
Sixth Man
And1: 3,151

Post#4069 » by EmperorLocky » Sat Aug 7, 2021 1:01 pm

brettski wrote:
EmperorLocky wrote:

Oh I agree 100%. Just meant I was happy Thybulle gave it back and let him know who Doncics daddy is and Doncic knows it's Thybulle
FreeThrowLine
Veteran
And1: 4,274

Post#4070 » by FreeThrowLine » Sat Aug 7, 2021 1:01 pm

MrPerfect1 wrote:
FreeThrowLine wrote:
MrPerfect1 wrote:
USA has a million good shooters and scorers, they only have 1 great defensive wing who looks to not just get his own.

There is a reaon USA struggled much more until he arrived.

Not a single one of those “million good shooters and scorers” was doing a damn thing vs Australia in the first half while KD was keeping the US from getting blown out

Imagine jumping to conclusions from 1 half. Some of the players hardly even played the 1st half.

There are numerous players on the team with shooting percentages not far from Durant.

There is no wing defender on the team even close to Jrue. What other primary ball handler on the team other than Jrue thinks pass 1st?

Team USA lost 3 games recently. 2 of those were games Jrue missed. Durant played in both.

Imagine thinking Holidays impact on a game is anywhere near KD’s, you have to be a Bucks fan I’m guessing.

I’m not ‘jumping to conclusions’, I watched the games and I’m stating a fact. Without KD the US don’t get Gold, without Holiday they still do. Those games they lost you brought up, if KD didn’t play but Holiday did, they’d have lost by even more.

Way to ignore the fact they were early in the tournament/friendly games and the team chemistry was even worse
Khashbaatar
Junior
And1: 164

Post#4071 » by Khashbaatar » Sat Aug 7, 2021 1:01 pm

Gold for KD, Silver for TLC, Bronze for Mills. BKN runs the Olympics.
EmperorLocky
Sixth Man
And1: 3,151

Post#4072 » by EmperorLocky » Sat Aug 7, 2021 1:03 pm

It was almost fitting. Gold and silver are obviously the bigger results but after going 0 for 4 in bronze medal games chasing our first medal it seems fitting it was setup again for that do or die moment.

And they all responded and Patty Mills imo just dethroned the great Andrew Gaze as Australia's greatest ever.
Jimmy Recard
RealGM
And1: 5,486

Post#4073 » by Jimmy Recard » Sat Aug 7, 2021 1:05 pm

Khashbaatar wrote:Gold for KD, Silver for TLC, Bronze for Mills. BKN runs the Olympics.

Brooklyn don’t deserve Patty
kcbworth
Freshman
And1: 53

Post#4074 » by kcbworth » Sat Aug 7, 2021 1:05 pm

EmperorLocky wrote:It was almost fitting. Gold and silver are obviously the bigger results but after going 0 for 4 in bronze medal games chasing our first medal it seems fitting it was setup again for that do or die moment.

Agree overcoming that hurdle is poetic.

But cant help but be disappointed we didnt draw Slovenia in the semis rather than the US

EmperorLocky wrote:And they all responded and Patty Mills imo just dethroned the great Andrew Gaze as Australia's greatest ever.

I'm happy for them to share it but also cant really disagree

42 points amazing
MrPerfect1
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,425

Post#4075 » by MrPerfect1 » Sat Aug 7, 2021 1:09 pm

FreeThrowLine wrote:
MrPerfect1 wrote:
FreeThrowLine wrote:

Imagine thinking Holidays impact on a game is anywhere near KD’s, you have to be a Bucks fan I’m guessing.

I’m not ‘jumping to conclusions’, I watched the games and I’m stating a fact. Without KD the US don’t get Gold, without Holiday they still do. Those games they lost you brought up, if KD didn’t play but Holiday did, they’d have lost by even more.

Way to ignore the fact they were early in the tournament/friendly games and the team chemistry was even worse

With Durant and without Holiday they lost to Nigeria.

Hmmmm, so the team's Chemistry was poor, then after adding the primary thing the team lacked- a facilitating ball handler and lockdown defensive player, the chemistry and ball movement improved. I am sure that is a complete coincidence.

Just because Durant was the best player doesn't mean he was the most important. If a team had 11 Hall of Fame Centers that couldn't dribble and 1 Point Guard, the Point Guard would be the most important player on the team, even if it was Johnny Flynn or Jimmer Fredette.
Phreak50
Lead Assistant
And1: 10,963

Post#4076 » by Phreak50 » Sat Aug 7, 2021 1:09 pm

Basketball is the 5th, possibly 6th most popular sport in Australia. It's incredible what the team has achieved for the last decade and a real reward today for the team.
AussieCeltic
RealGM
And1: 21,628

Post#4077 » by AussieCeltic » Sat Aug 7, 2021 1:09 pm

I hope Simmons watches this Patty Mills interview and takes something away from it. This guy is beloved by all Australians and just an inspiration.

Simmons could be that guy but he choose not to be. The Olympics could’ve really helped his image.
eyeatoma wrote:IMO the bigger issue is that Denver and the Jazz are allowed to host games at a high altitute, when they have literally had news exposes saying how it's a clear competetive advantage to play there.
GroundBound
Sophomore
And1: 60

Post#4078 » by GroundBound » Sat Aug 7, 2021 1:11 pm

Dante Exum's 4th quarter was impressive. Defensive plays, knocking down shots right as the game was getting tight. He was pretty much the player Quin Snyder wanted him to be! :lol:
kcbworth
Freshman
And1: 53

Post#4079 » by kcbworth » Sat Aug 7, 2021 1:13 pm

Btw Matisse Thybulle has been vlogging his road to the olympics (although still only up to the first Vegas game) but it should be epic watching their run to bronze

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLMICLletO8dAcxp8ac-LpQw7VGfiy-WbI
FreeThrowLine
Veteran
And1: 4,274

Post#4080 » by FreeThrowLine » Sat Aug 7, 2021 1:15 pm

MrPerfect1 wrote:
FreeThrowLine wrote:
MrPerfect1 wrote:

With Durant and without Holiday they lost to Nigeria.

Hmmmm, so the team's Chemistry was poor, then after adding the primary thing the team lacked- a facilitating ball handler and lockdown defensive player, the chemistry and ball movement improved. I am sure that is a complete coincidence.

Just because Durant was the best player doesn't mean he was the most important. If a team had 11 Hall of Fame Centers that couldn't dribble and 1 Point Guard, the Point Guard would be the most important player on the team, even if it was Johnny Flynn or Jimmer Fredette.

OK bro, the addition of Holiday was the biggest reason the US team played better, he’s not only the most important player on the team but possibly in the world…in fact he might be the most important player of all time

Return to Olympics