WarriorGM
General Manager
And1: 3,701

Re: Simone Biles 

Post#61 » by WarriorGM » Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:00 pm

LikeABosh wrote:
WarriorGM wrote:
LikeABosh wrote:
Right, but are you saying it'd be less excusable for LeBron to miss game 7 due to mental health reasons because he had more resources to deal with it?

It's not as dangerous so what's the reason? Yips and he believes the team would perform better without him? Then he'll take a hit to being called the best. Kevin Love and DeMar DeRozan have spoken out about mental health. They seem to retain respect from what I can tell.

...mental health is the reason.

?????

Mental health is a broad category. The catalyst for its deterioration is different in many cases. A person who gets the yips only when they are on the cusp of victory is different from one who just wants to give up the sport because of the long grueling grind. Becoming scared because one is starting to make mistakes that one normally doesn't in an event that could potentially injure you badly if you are off is yet another kind of situation.
alebaba
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,393

Re: OT - Simone Biles 

Post#62 » by alebaba » Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:02 pm

Mental health is a serious issue, but some of these athletes are just using it as an excuse and it makes me sick...
TheAlanParsons
Junior
And1: 240

Post#63 » by TheAlanParsons » Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:03 pm

The excuse making for this woman is off the charts. She couldn't handle the pressure and had a nervous breakdown. It's a black mark on her resume. It certainly isn't something to be celebrated. Jesus.
Wigginstime
Sixth Man
And1: 2,520

Post#64 » by Wigginstime » Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:03 pm

LARRY NASSAR SEXUAL ABUSE SCANDAL

The fact that Biles could continue to train and compete after that is amazing. It destroyed all of the other girls from the 2016 teams. Laurie Hernandez said she spent two years dealing with mental health before she could even begin to train agin.
infintybeyond
Rookie
And1: 1,802

Post#65 » by infintybeyond » Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:08 pm

bradybunch wrote:Did she quit because she wasn't doing well?

I have no idea about her or gymnastics, so forgive my ignorance.

I do recall some girl a long time ago refusing to quit with a fractured tibia and landing an incredible vault.

I don't think she quit because she wasn't doing well. Even if she was not at her best, she would still medal because she is that great and her degree of difficulty would make up for any deductions. She wasn't her usual self during this Olympics. There is something else going on. I'm glad she pulled out. It took a ton of courage for the gold medal favorite to pull out.

She had a couple miscues during the qualifying rounds which are very uncharacteristic for such a great athlete.

She flew out of bounds during her floor routine. Very uncharacteristic for a gymnast of her caliber. Starts at the 1:30 mark.

Again, she stepped out on her vault attempt. Again, very uncharacteristic of her.

Lastly, her last vault before pulling out of competition

All of these are very strange for the GOAT gymnast and GOAT vaulter.
WarriorGM
General Manager

Post#66 » by WarriorGM » Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:09 pm

alebaba wrote:Mental health is a serious issue, but some of these athletes are just using it as an excuse and it makes me sick...

An excuse for what? Doesn't call for celebration but it shouldn't be making you sick either.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 8,004

Post#67 » by BlazersBroncos » Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:10 pm

So if a female athlete makes mistakes in their sport it can be attributed to mental health and therefore doesnt count?

How do you then tell if someone is just sucking?
WarriorGM
General Manager

Post#68 » by WarriorGM » Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:10 pm

infintybeyond wrote:
bradybunch wrote:Did she quit because she wasn't doing well?

I have no idea about her or gymnastics, so forgive my ignorance.

I do recall some girl a long time ago refusing to quit with a fractured tibia and landing an incredible vault.

I don't think she quit because she wasn't doing well. Even if she was not at her best, she would still medal because she is that great and her degree of difficulty would make up for any deductions. She wasn't her usual self during this Olympics. There is something else going on. I'm glad she pulled out. It took a ton of courage for the gold medal favorite to pull out.

She had a couple miscues during the qualifying rounds which are very uncharacteristic for such a great athlete.

She flew out of bounds during her floor routine. Very uncharacteristic for a gymnast of her caliber. Starts at the 1:30 mark.

Again, she stepped out on her vault attempt. Again, very uncharacteristic of her.

Lastly, her last vault before pulling out of competition

The problem I see here is calling her the GOAT gymnast and GOAT vaulter.
LikeABosh
RealGM
And1: 8,638

Post#69 » by LikeABosh » Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:13 pm

WarriorGM wrote:
LikeABosh wrote:
WarriorGM wrote:
It's not as dangerous so what's the reason? Yips and he believes the team would perform better without him? Then he'll take a hit to being called the best. Kevin Love and DeMar DeRozan have spoken out about mental health. They seem to retain respect from what I can tell.

?????

Mental health is a broad category. The catalyst for its deterioration is different in many cases. A person who gets the yips only when they are on the cusp of victory is different from one who just wants to give up the sport because of the long grueling grind. Becoming scared because one is starting to make mistakes that one normally doesn't in an event that could potentially injure you badly if you are off is yet another kind of situation.

I feel like you're trying to sell me on Biles' justification for leaving and there's no need. I get that there are not only mental but physical ramifications to continuing.

But it's enough to quit an event because of mental health without there being any physical dangers. Your mind isn't a static thing. If you're continuing doing something that's negative to your mental health, then it'll probably cause more damage in the long run with anxiety, PTSD, depression, who knows what else. You have to take care of it just as much as your body

Athletes in both scenarios are right to sit out and shouldn't be attacked
KyRo23
Lead Assistant
And1: 12,330

Post#70 » by KyRo23 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:13 pm

WarriorGM wrote:
LikeABosh wrote:
WarriorGM wrote:
A basketball player makes much more money and has many more opportunities to recover. There's always next year for the basketball player. It is a much more severe case career-wise for a gymnast to miss the Olympics.

"Mental health isn't as important to people who have money"

You're paid more so you have more resources to deal with it. One reason I think that actors making millions are not necessarily overpaid. They have to put up with a lot of public scrutiny and criticism.

I see Biles on TV every 4 minutes. She's not struggling with resources. Not a very good rebuttal to be honest.
WarriorGM
General Manager

Post#71 » by WarriorGM » Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:15 pm

KyRo23 wrote:
WarriorGM wrote:
LikeABosh wrote:
"Mental health isn't as important to people who have money"

You're paid more so you have more resources to deal with it. One reason I think that actors making millions are not necessarily overpaid. They have to put up with a lot of public scrutiny and criticism.

I see Biles on TV every 4 minutes. She's not struggling with resources. Not a very good rebuttal to be honest.

I don't really care if you think it is a good rebuttal or not.
KazuoOda
Rookie
And1: 1,368

Post#72 » by KazuoOda » Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:16 pm

K For Three wrote:I have mixed feelings on it all.

On one hand I understand it, it's tough to compete under that pressure and she wasn't at her best. And her mental health is what matters most.

On the other hand, it hurts to see them win silver when they should have been bringing home the gold. And Russia of all countries wins the gold.

Team USA wasnt winning gold even if Simone competed.
KyRo23
Lead Assistant
And1: 12,330

Post#73 » by KyRo23 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:16 pm

WarriorGM wrote:
KyRo23 wrote:
WarriorGM wrote:

At least you know your point wasn't good. Carry on.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 65,059

Post#74 » by Duke4life831 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:18 pm

I wouldnt blame her teammates for having negative feelings about her because of this. Its not an individual sport, its a team sport and when you quit during a tournament, youre not only affecting yourself.

We've seen players quit on a team before, they got destroyed because of it. People still bash Pippen to this day (close to 30 years later) for quitting on his team mid game.

I will also say there is a difference between nerves getting to you and cracking because of that and mental health. This is why I think many had push back against PG in the bubble last year. He would have a good game and it was all good, then he would have a bad game and say he's having depression and mental health issues, then he would have a good game again.

Ive seen people say this shows that she is even a greater competitor than we knew. I don't believe that. But ff she is dealing with actual mental health issues, Im glad she took a step back and is getting it taken care of.
WarriorGM
General Manager

Post#75 » by WarriorGM » Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:18 pm

LikeABosh wrote:
WarriorGM wrote:
LikeABosh wrote:

?????

I feel like you're trying to sell me on Biles' justification for leaving and there's no need. I get that there are not only mental but physical ramifications to continuing.

But it's enough to quit an event because of mental health without there being any physical dangers. Your mind isn't a static thing. If you're continuing doing something that's negative to your mental health, then it'll probably cause more damage in the long run with anxiety, PTSD, depression, who knows what else. You have to take care of it just as much as your body

Athletes in both scenarios are right to sit out and shouldn't be attacked

I feel like you are trying to justify hating on her. She's out. People can question if she should be made of sterner stuff in their assessments of her later if the question ever comes up. But I don't think she's getting bonus points for what happened. It doesn't help her record. So anything more is just piling on.
jsierra1985
Senior
And1: 963

Post#76 » by jsierra1985 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:19 pm

Mental Illness is a very real thing and i would hate if an athlete/celebrity uses it as an excuse.

To me in MY OPINION....i think its bullsh*t

She preached about being the GOAT....

and decides to bail in the middle of the event.....

she is blessed to have such a great talent and with that obviously comes with resources which she has plenty....

the thing that bothers me is when she decided to bail out...

very sketchy and i dont believe her reasoning
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,276

Post#77 » by clyde21 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:20 pm

K For Three wrote:And Russia of all countries wins the gold.

what's wrong with Russia winnin a gold? :-?
MrPerfect1
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,425

Post#78 » by MrPerfect1 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:22 pm

She's definitely not the Goat to quit on her team. Part of being a top athlete is having the mental strength to rise above adversity rather than losing to it. Sports are meant to teach teamwork and self sacrifice, not bailing because you feel stressed. Stress is Jesse Owens competing in the Berlin Olympics. Heck, she brought the stress on herself! Don't call yourself the goat then complain about stress and pressure.

If Lebron refused to come out of the locker room at half timein the FInals because he felt too stressed, he would be roasted and destroyed.
WarriorGM
General Manager

Post#79 » by WarriorGM » Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:22 pm

KyRo23 wrote:
WarriorGM wrote:
KyRo23 wrote:

At least you know your point wasn't good. Carry on.

Nah my point is fantastic. That you have nothing say other than whether you liked it or not shows how empty you are.
CobraCommander
RealGM
And1: 14,361

Post#80 » by CobraCommander » Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:22 pm

Not diminishing anything Biles had going on but sports is physical and mental- and it’s 100% about results. People destroyed AD for getting hurt and KP for always being hurt - Biles should be slammed for not stepping aside sooner so another woman could have been there for the team. That was a horrible look.

The people sticking up for Biles should be calling her out for taking a spot from another woman that could have performed that day...she made the team go 3 against 4

Return to Olympics