LikeABosh
RealGM
And1: 8,638

Re: Simone Biles 

Post#81 » by LikeABosh » Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:23 pm

WarriorGM wrote:
LikeABosh wrote:
WarriorGM wrote:

Mental health is a broad category. The catalyst for its deterioration is different in many cases. A person who gets the yips only when they are on the cusp of victory is different from one who just wants to give up the sport because of the long grueling grind. Becoming scared because one is starting to make mistakes that one normally doesn't in an event that could potentially injure you badly if you are off is yet another kind of situation.

I feel like you're trying to sell me on Biles' justification for leaving and there's no need. I get that there are not only mental but physical ramifications to continuing.

But it's enough to quit an event because of mental health without there being any physical dangers. Your mind isn't a static thing. If you're continuing doing something that's negative to your mental health, then it'll probably cause more damage in the long run with anxiety, PTSD, depression, who knows what else. You have to take care of it just as much as your body

Athletes in both scenarios are right to sit out and shouldn't be attacked

I feel like you are trying to justify hating on her. She's out. People can question if she should be made of sterner stuff in their assessments of her later if the question ever comes up. But I don't think she's getting bonus points for what happened. It doesn't help her record. So anything more is just piling on.

Huh? I never said anything close to that. I think we're done here
WarriorGM
General Manager
And1: 3,703

Re: OT - Simone Biles 

Post#82 » by WarriorGM » Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:23 pm

CobraCommander wrote:Not diminishing anything Biles had going on but sports is physical and mental- and it’s 100% about results. People destroyed AD for getting hurt and KP for always being hurt - Biles should be slammed for not stepping aside sooner so another woman could have been there for the team. That was a horrible look.

The people sticking up for Biles should be calling her out for taking a spot from another woman that could have performed that day...she made the team go 3 against 4

But another woman was there wasn't there as an alternate?
WarriorGM
General Manager

Post#83 » by WarriorGM » Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:25 pm

LikeABosh wrote:
WarriorGM wrote:
LikeABosh wrote:
I feel like you're trying to sell me on Biles' justification for leaving and there's no need. I get that there are not only mental but physical ramifications to continuing.

But it's enough to quit an event because of mental health without there being any physical dangers. Your mind isn't a static thing. If you're continuing doing something that's negative to your mental health, then it'll probably cause more damage in the long run with anxiety, PTSD, depression, who knows what else. You have to take care of it just as much as your body

Athletes in both scenarios are right to sit out and shouldn't be attacked

I feel like you are trying to justify hating on her. She's out. People can question if she should be made of sterner stuff in their assessments of her later if the question ever comes up. But I don't think she's getting bonus points for what happened. It doesn't help her record. So anything more is just piling on.

Huh? I never said anything close to that. I think we're done here

My apologies then. But there seem to be no shortage of those looking for a reason to make more of this than there needs to be.
CobraCommander
RealGM
And1: 14,361

Post#84 » by CobraCommander » Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:25 pm

WarriorGM wrote:
CobraCommander wrote:Not diminishing anything Biles had going on but sports is physical and mental- and it’s 100% about results. People destroyed AD for getting hurt and KP for always being hurt - Biles should be slammed for not stepping aside sooner so another woman could have been there for the team. That was a horrible look.

The people sticking up for Biles should be calling her out for taking a spot from another woman that could have performed that day...she made the team go 3 against 4

The alternate couldn’t come out after the event started.
WarriorGM
General Manager

Post#85 » by WarriorGM » Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:27 pm

CobraCommander wrote:
WarriorGM wrote:

I read that Jordan Chiles was replacing her, but I won't claim to know the full of it.
MrPerfect1
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,425

Post#86 » by MrPerfect1 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:27 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
DroseReturnChi wrote:the question is why did she quit midway and waste roster spot? nobody forced to do it.

Because she had anxiety due to crazy expectations and knew it was best to put her mental (and likely physical health first). You won't know this will be a problem until in the moment.

The U.S. has a great team with enough people to cover. Most of the others still ranked near the top and some barely didn't make the finals due to being squeezed out because only 2 people per country were allowed. And the team events we are fine.

The U.S. has plenty of roster spots.

Her health is more important to focus on.

She is to blame for the crazy expectations. Don't go around calling yourself the goat and have a goat sewed on your uniform then complain about pressure and stress. Being called the goat seemed great with her when things were going well, but when she has to deal with the downside of it all she just peaced out.
bigbird
Ballboy
And1: 21

Post#87 » by bigbird » Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:32 pm

As people mentioned her anxiety is running high because of the expectations from her. I don't think it was mentioned but (correct me if I'm wrong) she's not getting any difficulty points from the judges which puts her in an unfair handicap, so she's basically getting scored by the expectations of her performance is how I'm reading it.
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 58,000

Post#88 » by bisme37 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:33 pm

I was proud of the other girls for winning silver in the team event without their best "player." Can't think of too many examples across sports where a team finishes as the 2nd best team without their superstar. Especially with the distraction of Biles withdrawing and then everyone asking them about it non-stop.

As far as Simone, if she didn't have it she didn't have it. You don't want to injure yourself and/or bring the rest of the team down with bad scores. Seems like she's over the whole thing, which is very understandable. Wishing her all the best.
infintybeyond
Rookie
And1: 1,802

Post#89 » by infintybeyond » Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:33 pm

WarriorGM wrote:
infintybeyond wrote:
bradybunch wrote:Did she quit because she wasn't doing well?

I have no idea about her or gymnastics, so forgive my ignorance.

I do recall some girl a long time ago refusing to quit with a fractured tibia and landing an incredible vault.

I don't think she quit because she wasn't doing well. Even if she was not at her best, she would still medal because she is that great and her degree of difficulty would make up for any deductions. She wasn't her usual self during this Olympics. There is something else going on. I'm glad she pulled out. It took a ton of courage for the gold medal favorite to pull out.

She had a couple miscues during the qualifying rounds which are very uncharacteristic for such a great athlete.

She flew out of bounds during her floor routine. Very uncharacteristic for a gymnast of her caliber. Starts at the 1:30 mark.

Again, she stepped out on her vault attempt. Again, very uncharacteristic of her.

Lastly, her last vault before pulling out of competition

All of these are very strange for the GOAT gymnast and GOAT vaulter.

The problem I see here is calling her the GOAT gymnast and GOAT vaulter.

Why is it a problem? She is in fact the most decorated gymnast ever.
thebigbird
Head Coach
And1: 20,040

Post#90 » by thebigbird » Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:37 pm

She quit on her team when they needed her the most. Bottom line. When you’re the best on your team you’re expected to show up when it matters. She didn’t. You all know damn well that if LeBron decided to sit out a game 7 of the NBA finals because he didn’t feel like playing and “needed a mental health day” he’d get torn to pieces. It’d be evidence that he’s “mentally weak” and “doesn’t have Jordan’s toughness.”
CobraCommander
RealGM

Post#91 » by CobraCommander » Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:38 pm

WarriorGM wrote:
CobraCommander wrote:
WarriorGM wrote:

I read that Jordan Chiles was replacing her, but I won't claim to know the full of it.

Chiles had to replace her because Biles left no options.

So you have 4 people on the team performing and you pick your 3 best at a discipline. Because Biles came out the team didn’t have a chance to pick a better woman from the larger women’s team to replace Biles.
CobraCommander
RealGM

Post#92 » by CobraCommander » Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:41 pm

thebigbird wrote:She quit on her team when they needed her the most. Bottom line. When you’re the best on your team you’re expected to show up when it matters. She didn’t. You all know damn well that if LeBron decided to sit out a game 7 of the NBA finals because he didn’t feel like playing and “needed a mental health day” he’d get torn to pieces. It’d be evidence that he’s “mentally weak” and “doesn’t have Jordan’s toughness.”

If a male athlete did this yall (we) would kill him...

Hell people still clowning pippin for getting a headache and then for sitting out on the Kukoc shot.

Mental toughness means overcoming demons....

But real talk...if I’m flipping and I don’t know where I am in the air...”F y’all I’m out”

I just wish Biles made the call before the event started...she said she knew it before hand.
CobraCommander
RealGM

Post#93 » by CobraCommander » Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:45 pm

bigbird wrote:As people mentioned her anxiety is running high because of the expectations from her. I don't think it was mentioned but (correct me if I'm wrong) she's not getting any difficulty points from the judges which puts her in an unfair handicap, so she's basically getting scored by the expectations of her performance is how I'm reading it.

She is 24 in a sport where people are done before this. The pressure was high...I would say higher than anything a nba player has but she signed up for it . I don’t begrudge her emotions but I don’t feel bad that she had them either. Everyone of those girls had expectations too
DroseReturnChi
RealGM
And1: 3,142

Post#94 » by DroseReturnChi » Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:47 pm

John Murdoch wrote:How did this turn into a lebron thread , i can see Fultz

bc shes lebron of her world. this is like lebron quitting finals game 7. so no one is going to blame when its exact same situation?
Doncic will be goat. Lauri will be his sidekick.
DroseReturnChi
RealGM
And1: 3,142

Post#95 » by DroseReturnChi » Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:49 pm

CobraCommander wrote:
bigbird wrote:As people mentioned her anxiety is running high because of the expectations from her. I don't think it was mentioned but (correct me if I'm wrong) she's not getting any difficulty points from the judges which puts her in an unfair handicap, so she's basically getting scored by the expectations of her performance is how I'm reading it.

She is 24 in a sport where people are done before this. The pressure was high...I would say higher than anything a nba player has but she signed up for it . I don’t begrudge her emotions but I don’t feel bad that she had them either. Everyone of those girls had expectations too

kind of shocked she has anxiety issues when nba is literally world champions theres no bigger stage. to make it worse, theres 0 crowds so its one of the easiest environments as well. i suspect its from internally maybe shes getting bullied.
Doncic will be goat. Lauri will be his sidekick.
KyRo23
Lead Assistant
And1: 12,330

Post#96 » by KyRo23 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:50 pm

WarriorGM wrote:
KyRo23 wrote:
WarriorGM wrote:
I don't really care if you think it is a good rebuttal or not.

At least you know your point wasn't good. Carry on.

Nah my point is fantastic. That you have nothing say other than whether you liked it or not shows how empty you are.

You have no idea how empty I am lol. You said he makes more so he is able to deal with it better. Simone makes plenty of money. That's really the only point I was commenting on, the rest is whatever you made up in your head. It was just a trash point about being able to deal with mental health issues with money, even though both are well off.
DeBlazerRiddem
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
And1: 6,174

Post#97 » by DeBlazerRiddem » Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:51 pm

Wow I just saw her called a "selfish sociopath", "shame to the country" and part of a "generation of weak people".

I hate the people of this country sometimes man, I really do. Some people really just need a punch to the face.
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#98 » by bisme37 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:51 pm

DroseReturnChi wrote:
CobraCommander wrote:

kind of shocked she has anxiety issues when nba is literally world champions theres no bigger stage. to make it worse, theres 0 crowds so its one of the easiest environments as well. i suspect its from internally maybe shes getting bullied.

I didn't see the interview for myself but when I briefly talked about this with my buddy he mentioned a recent interview where Biles was saying all the other girls make fun of her for being "old" and call her grandma and she seemed legit bummed about it.
CobraCommander
RealGM

Post#99 » by CobraCommander » Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:53 pm

DroseReturnChi wrote:
CobraCommander wrote:

I think the stakes are higher for the Olympics- especially gymnastics- because it’s once every 4 years, women’s bodies change and it impacts the ability to compete at a high level (which is why China brought some 9year olds a couple years ago and won) and there are 20 girls waiting to take your spot (at least) plus one mistake and you done... one or 2 falls and you go from gold to 5th place.

All world nba players shooting 50% from the line and it’s alright in the NBA...
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#100 » by bisme37 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:53 pm

JT knows what's up.

Read on Twitter

Return to Olympics