Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,628

Sochi General News Thread 

Post#1 » by kyphi » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:18 pm

Russia kills senior militant leader ahead of Sochi Olympics, officials say

NBCNews.com - ‎7 hours ago‎
By Henry Austin, NBC News contributor
. A senior militant leader was killed during a gun battle with Russian security forces as they hunted three Muslim women dubbed “black widows” and other terror suspects ahead of the Winter Olympics, officials said.
mojomarc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 966

Re: Sochi General News Thread 

Post#2 » by mojomarc » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:35 am

And in even more important news: tandem toilets!

http://www.sfgate.com/news/world/articl ... 165145.php
kyphi
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,628

Post#3 » by kyphi » Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:21 pm

that could explain the faces on the luge picture. They just used a tandem toilet. It's like, dam, we have to do EVERYTHING as a tandem?; I got a date Saturday night, and you better not show up!
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,832

Post#4 » by C.lupus » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:07 pm

Winter Olympics 2014: Welcome to Sochi – a city where 'there are no gay people'
President Putin has claimed that gay people will be welcome at the 2014 Winter Olympics but no one seems to have passed the message to the mayor of the host city Sochi, where the action begins a week on Friday. I have been in Sochi for a Panorama programme to be broadcast on Monday night, and Anatoly Pakhomov told us that there are no gay people in his town.

And despite Mr Putin’s guarantee to the International Olympic Committee (IOC) that journalists would also be welcome in Sochi, soldiers from the FSB – the state security organisation, detained the Panorama team, including me, and took our passports.

Mr Pakhomov’s claim – an echo of the Radio Stars’ 1977 hit “No Russians in Russia” – is preposterously untrue to anyone who knows anything about the beach resort in Russia’s deep south. Boris Nemtsov, the opposition politician and unsuccessful candidate for the Sochi mayoralty, collapsed into giggles when I told him about the mayor’s statement, saying: “No gays in Sochi? Unbelievable, unbelievable.”

Drag queen Miss Zhu-Zha, a performer at the city’s best-known gay bar, said: “In some places there’s serious prejudice against gay people. In other places, it’s not so bad.” It’s a cautious comment, but none the less evidence of existence.

Our experience of detention at the hands of the FSB summed up Putin’s Games for me: the authorities pretending to be all smiley, but every now and then the guard drops, and you glimpse what feels like a police state.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 86424.html

This is going to be quite the "interesting" Olympics.

Return to Olympics