General Olympic Basketball Thread

Mr. E
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,510
Location: Defending Planet Earth with a Jet-Pack & a Ray-Gun!

Re: General Olympic Basketball Thread 

Post#21 » by Mr. E » Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:32 pm

chetshome wrote:There's no discussion here.
Can we please discuss basketball in the basketball forum?

thank you!

This has been answered several times, including your own question in the feedback forum.

Please limit discussion of this topic to this thread: viewtopic.php?f=335&t=1468052
"A fanatic is one who can't change their mind and won't change the subject."
- Winston Churchill
bb22
Starter
And1: 1,011

Post#22 » by bb22 » Mon Aug 1, 2016 6:57 am

USA is clearly on another level, talent-wise, in comparison to the rest of the world. That being said, they are human and do struggle from time to time. How much of that can be blamed on the FIBA rules and style of play? Almost all of the international players have been playing in this dimension their entire career. Can you imagine what this competition would look like if they employed NBA rules?
Smitty731
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 24,744

Post#23 » by Smitty731 » Mon Aug 1, 2016 5:29 pm

I have posted my newest version of NBA Salary and Roster sheets, including Olympic Rosters with Player Profiles here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1T2Eg_zvqNqQD_5TpE4Ns6xhElatXdLpYG1roZtRLyvE/edit?usp=sharing

Enjoy!
Mr. E
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,510
Location: Defending Planet Earth with a Jet-Pack & a Ray-Gun!

Post#24 » by Mr. E » Mon Aug 1, 2016 7:22 pm

bb22 wrote:USA is clearly on another level, talent-wise, in comparison to the rest of the world. That being said, they are human and do struggle from time to time. How much of that can be blamed on the FIBA rules and style of play? Almost all of the international players have been playing in this dimension their entire career. Can you imagine what this competition would look like if they employed NBA rules?

There is some effect acclimating to the FIBA rules; however, I don't think that is the reason for any of Team USA's struggles.
And I use the word "struggle" very lightly here considering the nature of the wins in the exhibitions. I'm more concerned how the team will respond to some of the stronger teams like Spain, Lithuania, France, etc. where their All-Star Game style of play won't work as well.
"A fanatic is one who can't change their mind and won't change the subject."
- Winston Churchill
shanghaifanzi
Senior
And1: 796

Post#25 » by shanghaifanzi » Tue Aug 2, 2016 5:20 am

after i saw today game between Nigeria and US, i still don't have a clue why Fiba didn't allow jordan clarkson to play for Phillipines as local player since he never compete for any national team and he still holding phillipine passport? in contrast today's game Nigerian team full of US born player (i saw at least 3-4 players) and Fiba allow them to play alltogether :nonono:
First Step
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,929

Post#26 » by First Step » Tue Aug 2, 2016 6:30 pm

shanghaifanzi wrote:after i saw today game between Nigeria and US, i still don't have a clue why Fiba didn't allow jordan clarkson to play for Phillipines as local player since he never compete for any national team and he still holding phillipine passport? in contrast today's game Nigerian team full of US born player (i saw at least 3-4 players) and Fiba allow them to play alltogether :nonono:

It's just how Nigeria works.
dalton749
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,433

Post#27 » by dalton749 » Wed Aug 3, 2016 6:04 am

The team plays better with Lowry on the floor over Irving, no surprise. Derozan with the best net rating as well, showing why the raptors are contenders.
pootbrah
Bench Warmer
And1: 897

Post#28 » by pootbrah » Wed Aug 3, 2016 8:51 am

aus got a tough ass first 3 games; france, serbia and usa. china and venezuela should be give mes though. is it normally you need to win 3 games to advance?
Von Bismarck
Pro Prospect
And1: 651

Post#29 » by Von Bismarck » Wed Aug 3, 2016 12:17 pm

shanghaifanzi wrote:after i saw today game between Nigeria and US, i still don't have a clue why Fiba didn't allow jordan clarkson to play for Phillipines as local player since he never compete for any national team and he still holding phillipine passport? in contrast today's game Nigerian team full of US born player (i saw at least 3-4 players) and Fiba allow them to play alltogether :nonono:

Same thing as Justin Hamilton wasn't allowed to play for Croatia as local player. His mother is Croatian, he lived, played and went to school in Croatia.

It's really weird since Nigeria could have had 10 US born players apparently who never lived or played there.

Return to Olympics