Andrew Bogut mad at Village accommodations

Berserk_Raptor
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,744

Andrew Bogut mad at Village accommodations 

Post#1 » by Berserk_Raptor » Tue Aug 2, 2016 7:15 pm

It’s been a rough welcoming for the Australians at the 2016 Rio de Janeiro Olympics.

First, there was the “blocked toilets, leaking pipes and exposed wiring” that forced the Australian Olympic Committee to delay their athletes’ entry into the Olympic Village last week. Then, when they finally did check into their accommodations, laptops and clothing were stolen from their rooms while they were forced to evacuate because of a trash fire near their building early Friday morning.

So, you can imagine the frustration of veteran Dallas Mavericks center Andrew Bogut — an outspoken member of Australia’s national basketball team — when his arrival at the Olympic Village began with him having to put together a shower curtain for his bathroom and only seemed to devolve from there.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/andrew-bogut-isnt-too-pleased-with-australias-olympic-village-digs-152754709.html

Read on Twitter
@raptor21_85
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM
And1: 28,365

Re: Andrew Bogut mad at Village accommodations 

Post#2 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Tue Aug 2, 2016 7:22 pm

They should not have had the Olympics in Brazil to begin with. Too many problems between security, accommodations, health risks, etc.

I remember reading how some countries are keeping their athletes in hotels because the Olympic Village is in such bad shape.
RCM88x
RealGM
And1: 18,979

Post#3 » by RCM88x » Tue Aug 2, 2016 7:27 pm

Knickstape1214 wrote:They should not have had the Olympics in Brazil to begin with. Too many problems between security, accommodations, health risks, etc.

I remember reading how some countries are keeping their athletes in hotels because the Olympic Village is in such bad shape.

USA Basketball is staying on the cruise ship.

LookToShoot wrote:Melo is the only player that makes the Rockets watchable for the basketball purists. Otherwise it would just be three point shots and pick n roll.
matt6715
Veteran
And1: 2,797

Post#4 » by matt6715 » Tue Aug 2, 2016 7:34 pm

The Olympics as a whole are a total sham. Honestly would prefer they just do away with them entirely. Just read an article about how 50+ medals have been stripped from the last decade of Olympics due to blood doping. who really cares at this point about the Olympics anyway
WESCO
Head Coach
And1: 981

Post#5 » by WESCO » Tue Aug 2, 2016 8:10 pm

matt6715 wrote:The Olympics as a whole are a total sham. Honestly would prefer they just do away with them entirely. Just read an article about how 50+ medals have been stripped from the last decade of Olympics due to blood doping. who really cares at this point about the Olympics anyway

I love the Olympic.

I'm also a fan of doping/hgh/steroids in professional sports.

And cocaine and whores among other things....
JazzyPhinz
Starter
And1: 1,200

Post#6 » by JazzyPhinz » Tue Aug 2, 2016 8:21 pm

If it werent for the Olympic soccer I wouldnt even care.
And my wife loves the gymnastics but thats it for us.
Blame Rasho
On Leave
And1: 8,466

Post#7 » by Blame Rasho » Tue Aug 2, 2016 10:20 pm

JazzyPhinz wrote:If it werent for the Olympic soccer I wouldnt even care.

Yeah... Olympic soccer isn't even remotely high on the national team accomplishment scale...

If you were to ask most followers of the sport, they would put the World Cup(clearly) and their respective regional tournaments(Copa America/Euro 2016) at a higher level than Olympics and not to mention it is all players under 23 for men.
JazzyPhinz
Starter
And1: 1,200

Post#8 » by JazzyPhinz » Tue Aug 2, 2016 10:24 pm

Blame Rasho wrote:
JazzyPhinz wrote:If it werent for the Olympic soccer I wouldnt even care.

Yeah... Olympic soccer isn't even remotely high on the national team accomplishment scale...

If you were to ask most followers of the sport, they would put the World Cup(clearly) and their respective regional tournaments(Copa America/Euro 2016) at a higher level than Olympics and not to mention it is all players under 23 for men.

Yea the U23 is definitely not up there but its still international soccer when nothing else is really going on.
Plus each team gets 3 overage players to use and you still have lots of young talent to see. (Germany, Mexico etc).

Heck even teams like South Korea put their best team possible since a medal gets them military exemption.
3Diamantidis
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,301

Post#9 » by 3Diamantidis » Tue Aug 2, 2016 10:33 pm

Soccer never saw the Olympics as something serious. Justified.
In europe players of the major leagues are playing ball 10 months per season. One more month inside the summer is catastrophe.
World Cup is a different story.
It's the greatest sports tournament of the planet and everybody want to be there. They don't care at all about olympics.

As far as i am concerned, only 5, 10, 20kms interest me in racing circuit and gymnastics until a point.
Augusto61
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,862

Post#10 » by Augusto61 » Tue Aug 2, 2016 10:34 pm

This is only the beginning. 9 out of 10 people here in Brazil will tell they'd much rather not have the Olympics here. Our country have all the problems in the world, more than 11 million people unemployed because of our corrupt government that use the money from the taxes to fill their pockets. Brazil was never in conditions to have the Olympics in its territory. I feel ashamed of this situation and trust my sig.
it's only after we've lost everything that we are free to do anything
DNP - Old
Rookie
And1: 1,262

Post#11 » by DNP - Old » Tue Aug 2, 2016 11:43 pm

Augusto61 wrote:This is only the beginning. 9 out of 10 people here in Brazil will tell they'd much rather not have the Olympics here. Our country have all the problems in the world, more than 11 million people unemployed because of our corrupt government that use the money from the taxes to fill their pockets. Brazil was never in conditions to have the Olympics in its territory. I feel ashamed of this situation and trust my sig.

Change "Rio" for "Madrid" and "2016" for "2024" and it fits perfectly. :(
oaktownwarriors87
RealGM
And1: 4,358

Post#12 » by oaktownwarriors87 » Wed Aug 3, 2016 12:58 am

WESCO wrote:
matt6715 wrote:The Olympics as a whole are a total sham. Honestly would prefer they just do away with them entirely. Just read an article about how 50+ medals have been stripped from the last decade of Olympics due to blood doping. who really cares at this point about the Olympics anyway

I love the Olympic.

Doping has ruined sports. I like skinny white people and Honda Accords.
cdubbz wrote:Donte DiVincenzo will outplay Poole this season.
Mr. E
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,510
Location: Defending Planet Earth with a Jet-Pack & a Ray-Gun!

Post#13 » by Mr. E » Wed Aug 3, 2016 2:02 am

RCM88x wrote:
Knickstape1214 wrote:They should not have had the Olympics in Brazil to begin with. Too many problems between security, accommodations, health risks, etc.

USA Basketball is staying on the cruise ship.

I believe that most IOC officials are as well. At least those who are higher up on the food chain.
"A fanatic is one who can't change their mind and won't change the subject."
- Winston Churchill
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,542

Post#14 » by zzaj » Wed Aug 3, 2016 3:16 am

There are always stories about how The Olympics actually ends up COSTING the host country/city money. They should establish a place for both the Summer and Winter games, build facilities and hold them there.
Mr. E
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,510
Location: Defending Planet Earth with a Jet-Pack & a Ray-Gun!

Post#15 » by Mr. E » Wed Aug 3, 2016 5:08 am

zzaj wrote:There are always stories about how The Olympics actually ends up COSTING the host country/city money. They should establish a place for both the Summer and Winter games, build facilities and hold them there.

This is usually not a popular opinion world-wide; but if people wanted to go in this direction then I've long been a proponent of the Games being held in the United States (Summer) and Canada (Winter). Maybe even crossover between the two.

But I don't like that idea. I like the nomadic nature of the Games (as long as it makes sense).

What I would prefer is to see regional; but multinational Games. For example, how about a Balkan Games? Opening & Closing ceremonies in Athens. Then you split the events around the region, seeing cities like Zagreb, Sarajevo, Belgrade, Sofia, Bucharest, etc. playing the host to different events. Delegate the responsibilities, rather than just put it all on one city.
"A fanatic is one who can't change their mind and won't change the subject."
- Winston Churchill
gavran
RealGM
And1: 7,435

Post#16 » by gavran » Wed Aug 3, 2016 7:24 am

My buddy already got sick with a stomack virus there, so has a few players for the women's waterpolo players for Australia. This is going to be a disaster.
pootbrah
Bench Warmer
And1: 897

Post#17 » by pootbrah » Wed Aug 3, 2016 8:46 am

bogut 4 most trill
matt6715
Veteran
And1: 2,797

Post#18 » by matt6715 » Wed Aug 3, 2016 1:04 pm

oaktownwarriors87 wrote:
WESCO wrote:

I love the Olympic.

Doping has ruined sports. I like skinny white people and Honda Accords.

Doping ruins the integrity of sports when dozens of winners are stripped of their medals after the fact. I do agree though, just open up any and all drugs/doping options and let guys look down at the rim or hit 700 foot homeruns
Cruzeirao
Rookie
And1: 33

Post#19 » by Cruzeirao » Wed Aug 3, 2016 4:28 pm

Augusto61 wrote:This is only the beginning. 9 out of 10 people here in Brazil will tell they'd much rather not have the Olympics here. Our country have all the problems in the world, more than 11 million people unemployed because of our corrupt government that use the money from the taxes to fill their pockets. Brazil was never in conditions to have the Olympics in its territory. I feel ashamed of this situation and trust my sig.

You're a moron.
Don't trust this guy... He doesn't speak for all brazilians.

Like the World Cup, will be an amazing event.
DrewBynum77
Lead Assistant
And1: 322

Post#20 » by DrewBynum77 » Wed Aug 3, 2016 6:22 pm

Well, there are a lot of problems, of course, but IOC is probably less concerned with security in Rio then if the event was being held in Europe or USA, due to terrorism. The army and national forces are everywhere you go. If the Olympics were being held in France right now most of the highly paid athletes wouldn't compete. Also, remember there was a terrorist attack last time USA held the Olympics, Atlanta's 1996... A bombing attack in the middle of the Olympic park that left 100+ people injured. Luckily only two died because a worker found the bomb prior its' explosion and was able to clear some of the people off the area.

I'm not trying to portray the situation as if it's better than it really is but you are buying the sensationalism by the media. The health issue due to pollution is the same crap they pulled against the Olympics in China. They said athletes could've a heart attack while competing due to the polluted air in Beijing. Athletes wont swim in the Lagoa Rodrigo de Freitas, which is polluted. Canoeing and Rowing athletes will have to take precautions but it's what it's. The Olympics is being held in a developing country after all.

Now about athletes staying in hotel rooms, that's false. 99% of the athletes are in the Village. Some apartments didn't pass the hydraulic and electric stress tests. Less than 20% of the 6000+ apartments built but it's a shame. No excuses there. Still, the problems were resolved in 48 hours and Australia moved back immediately.

The 1% of athletes that don't stay at the Olympics Village are the super rich/famous athletes, like the NBA's Dream Team. It's worth to remember that the last time the NBA 'Dream Team' didn't stay in the Village they lost in the semifinals.

Return to Olympics