Basketball - Day 5 Game Thread Aug. 10th

zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 37,379

Re: Basketball - Day 5 Game Thread Aug. 10th 

Post#321 » by zimpy27 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:23 am

I wonder which NBA team will grab Ryan Broekhoff? Seems like a good fit on any team as a backup sg/sf with his quality 3 and D game (fresher and more athletic Ingles).
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
Dr Salad Bowl
Junior
And1: 51

Post#322 » by Dr Salad Bowl » Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:23 am

Mr. E wrote:
Alonzo_Morning wrote:What's the difference between a sprint and a wind sprint? Is it just a case of adding in unncessary terms?

I may be using the wrong popular term, but that's what our coaches called it when you had to do the sprints to the free throw line and back, then the half-court line and back, and then the other free throw line and back, and finally the other baseline and back.

Wash, rinse, repeat. Hated those things!

I know them as "suicides"

zimpy27 wrote:I guess we wait until 2020 to see this:

Mills, Exum, Simmons, Thon, Bogut with a bench of Delly, Broekhoff, Ingles, Gak, Baynes

That team might win gold.

Highly doubt Bogie gets there unfortunately. He's been labouring up and down the court for a couple of years now. That said, a 35 year old Bogie with bum legs and no motor might still be more valuable than anyone else you could find. Hard to replace that BBIQ.

Seriously sour grapes from PG. Take the W and move on, what's to gain by sooking?
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 37,379

Post#323 » by zimpy27 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:27 am

Dr Salad Bowl wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:I guess we wait until 2020 to see this:

Mills, Exum, Simmons, Thon, Bogut with a bench of Delly, Broekhoff, Ingles, Gak, Baynes

That team might win gold.

Highly doubt Bogie gets there unfortunately. He's been labouring up and down the court for a couple of years now. That said, a 35 year old Bogie with bum legs and no motor might still be more valuable than anyone else you could find. Hard to replace that BBIQ.

Seriously sour grapes from PG. Take the W and move on, what's to gain by sooking?

Nothing to gain by sooking in international competition, there is in NBA though so maybe it's a cultural thing from that. Just reflects badly on him in this instance. Only thing this bought him was more aggression from Aussie's next game, but maybe that's what he wants.

Yeah I still think Bogut will make it in unless he does another serious injury.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
Dr Salad Bowl
Junior

Post#324 » by Dr Salad Bowl » Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:32 am

Carlton Blue wrote:The difference in the two sides is Australia embrace the concept of team, The USA are a team but only in name.

There's playing for your country and then there's going to war for your country.

US basketball too often just turns up and plays hero ball while those nations with lesser talented teams often give their heart and soul for their countries team.

While that's true, I can understand that after they whip the pants off a couple of teams, they can fall into lazy habits. That's true of anyone.

Team USA is generally the most athletic and gifted team, while the other countries have to scurry and hustle to scrap points, so they probably look a lot 'busier' than the US. It's easier for the US to score at will so they look a bit more chilled out there, I don't think it's a lack of national pride.
Carlton Blue
Ballboy
And1: 19

Post#325 » by Carlton Blue » Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:33 am

Paul George...

bakesale
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,776

Post#326 » by bakesale » Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:34 am

Harden2Dwight wrote:
bakesale wrote:
DWadeno3 wrote:Embarrassing defensive effort, far too many basic mistakes that allowed Australia to stay in the game.

Offensively, we can play good team basketball, but too often enjoy quick triggers and poor shots after just one pass.

Australia played great defence. They switched and closed hard on USA shooters. Melo got open a few times and credit to him he nailed his shots.

On the other end Lemanis (our coach) has excellent offensive schemes and we've been easily the second best offence after the USA this tournament. Our passing game is second to none with Delly averaging 11 assists per game, Bogut and Ingles are excellent passers. I haven't fully checked but I reckon Australia is leading the tourney in assists. Mills might well be leading the tournament in scoring too if I'm not mistaken.

C'mon mate, give credit where credit is due, Australia played well.

Australia played well, but he's not wrong. The U.S. didn't come to play today, at least not half the guys that went on that court. The defense was subpar and that had most to do with effort than anything else.

The U.S. offense was just more about missing open shots and not moving the ball. Australia played good defense as well, but the U.S.' issue for why this was a close game was more due to lack of effort on defense than anything else.

I think US are always trying on defence. I think Australia played intelligent offence with great movement and passing like they have this whole olympics thus far. That kind of offence works well against any team, even the elite NBA players. The Australians got tired in the end and ran out of steam.

And any shot that KD or Klay missed was balanced out by Melo being absolutely on fire. USA struggled to score inside because Bogut and Baynes were controlling the paint.
young_frogger
Rookie
And1: 965

Post#327 » by young_frogger » Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:38 am

90sgoat wrote:
wilt wrote:
90sgoat wrote:This game pretty much disproved that 'where is the international talent' thread. Give them a shot in the big leagues and they show up. You got to wonder, is someone like Delly being underappreciated in the NBA?

not made to play 80 games against top notch athletes playing at an inflated pace due to the rules in place. He´s a very good basketball player and a decent-good NBA player.

He dominated against an all star team? Should't that tell you something more than being a backup point guard?

Juan Carlos Navarro had a dominant game against the 08 Olympic team but he was still back-up status. I like Delly though and his defense and passing are much better than JCN. Delly is starting caliber for a few of the teams in the league but not the Cavs.
Carry On My Hayward Son
Carlton Blue
Ballboy

Post#328 » by Carlton Blue » Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:39 am

Dr Salad Bowl wrote:While that's true, I can understand that after they whip the pants off a couple of teams, they can fall into lazy habits. That's true of anyone.

Team USA is generally the most athletic and gifted team, while the other countries have to scurry and hustle to scrap points, so they probably look a lot 'busier' than the US. It's easier for the US to score at will so they look a bit more chilled out there, I don't think it's a lack of national pride.

Staying on a luxury boat while all the other athletes embrace the Olympic team spirit makes them look like pampered posers.

They've snubbed the Olympic village experience because they aren't about the team.
Dr Salad Bowl
Junior

Post#329 » by Dr Salad Bowl » Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:49 am

Carlton Blue wrote:Staying on a luxury boat while all the other athletes embrace the Olympic team spirit makes them look like pampered posers.

They've snubbed the Olympic village experience because they aren't about the team.

I think you're just trolling, but anyway, you've moved the goalposts there. If they're "not about the team" I'm not sure what's more team building than locking yourselves away together with no external influences :D I don't see how hanging out with Ecuadorian equestrian riders, Papua New Guinean wrestlers and Rwandan synchronised swimmers would make them any more or less of a "team".

If your new point is that staying on their boat makes them pampered posers... well then yes, I agree.
marcush
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,152

Post#330 » by marcush » Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:50 am

Great effort Boomers.

Teams USA lead brilliantly by Melo who along with Irving took on the challenge, embraced the physicality and got the job done.

As for PG....seemed offended that some team would dare to play them hard. Obviously just wanted an easy night.
NOD
Junior
And1: 584

Post#331 » by NOD » Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:52 am

good to see all these threads turn into the same crap both here and on the GB.

Meanwhile, US keeps winning while playing 'hero ball'. If only we had a recent example of how 'hero ball' wins championships...
Carlton Blue
Ballboy

Post#332 » by Carlton Blue » Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:55 am

Dr Salad Bowl wrote:
Carlton Blue wrote:Staying on a luxury boat while all the other athletes embrace the Olympic team spirit makes them look like pampered posers.

I think you're just trolling, but anyway, you've moved the goalposts there. If they're "not about the team" I'm not sure what's more team building than locking yourselves away together with no external influences :D I don't see how hanging out with Ecuadorian equestrian riders, Papua New Guinean wrestlers and Rwandan synchronised swimmers would make them any more or less of a "team".

If your new point is that staying on their boat makes them pampered posers... well then yes, I agree.

Erhm they would be at the "US" team village. With the other US athletes...

Not sure you grasp the concept of the Olympics.
NOD
Junior

Post#333 » by NOD » Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:58 am

marcush wrote:Great effort Boomers.

Teams USA lead brilliantly by Melo who along with Irving took on the challenge, embraced the physicality and got the job done.

As for PG....seemed offended that some team would dare to play them hard. Obviously just wanted an easy night.

Please, the Aussies played dirty, from Bogut to the rest of them. They knew mucking it up w/ holding/moving/ elbowing/ hip check screens and 'blockouts' -- in concert w/ some seriously humorous flops and dives -- would pay off if the refs bought it, and it almost worked. It's truly absurd that US shot so few FT's until the end of the game (when, by happenstance :roll: , the Aussies weren't even in the ballpark of putting the US in the bonus). US guys were apparently unfoulable...
Carlton Blue
Ballboy

Post#334 » by Carlton Blue » Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:06 am

NOD wrote:Please, the Aussies played dirty, from Bogut to the rest of them. They knew mucking it up w/ holding/moving/ elbowing/ hip check screens and 'blockouts' -- in concert w/ some seriously humorous flops and dives -- would pay off if the refs bought it, and it almost worked. It's truly absurd that US shot so few FT's until the end of the game (when, by happenstance :roll: , the Aussies weren't even in the ballpark of putting the US in the bonus). US guys were apparently unfoulable...

Seems anyone who plays hard against the US gets labelled dirty.

Seems there's some soft fans to match some of the soft players.
NOD
Junior

Post#335 » by NOD » Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:09 am

Carlton Blue wrote:
NOD wrote:Please, the Aussies played dirty, from Bogut to the rest of them. They knew mucking it up w/ holding/moving/ elbowing/ hip check screens and 'blockouts' -- in concert w/ some seriously humorous flops and dives -- would pay off if the refs bought it, and it almost worked. It's truly absurd that US shot so few FT's until the end of the game (when, by happenstance :roll: , the Aussies weren't even in the ballpark of putting the US in the bonus). US guys were apparently unfoulable...

Seems anyone who plays hard against the US gets labelled dirty.

Seems there's some soft fans to match some of the soft players.

Or maybe there are too many Aussies who seem to think this is a game of 7's...
Dr Salad Bowl
Junior

Post#336 » by Dr Salad Bowl » Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:09 am

Carlton Blue wrote:Erhm they would be at the "US" team village. With the other US athletes...

Not sure you grasp the concept of the Olympics.

Haha. I do get it, and I think it's great. I think the US team is crazy for not wanting to be amongst it, but that's their loss.

You're going way off your original point, which was that they don't care about representing their country as much as the other teams. I suppose we'll just have to agree to disagree on that one.

PS go Bluebaggers 8-)
Alonzo_Morning
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,624

Post#337 » by Alonzo_Morning » Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:21 am

Mr. E wrote:
Alonzo_Morning wrote:What's the difference between a sprint and a wind sprint? Is it just a case of adding in unncessary terms?

I may be using the wrong popular term, but that's what our coaches called it when you had to do the sprints to the free throw line and back, then the half-court line and back, and then the other free throw line and back, and finally the other baseline and back.

Yeah they're suicides.

There's no reason to term that a 'wind sprint' since they are done indoors on a basketball court.

And a 'wind sprint' done outside would just be a sprint. There's no need to add the word wind in there other than to try and sound fancy.
Mr. E
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,510
Location: Defending Planet Earth with a Jet-Pack & a Ray-Gun!

Post#338 » by Mr. E » Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:28 am

Dr Salad Bowl wrote:
Mr. E wrote:

I know them as "suicides"

Ahhh....gotcha. Back then we had a kid who did kill himself and it was a pretty crappy situation all around for a small town. I can see why they didn't call them that back then for us. I've just always known them as wind sprints.
"A fanatic is one who can't change their mind and won't change the subject."
- Winston Churchill
NOD
Junior

Post#339 » by NOD » Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:28 am

Alonzo_Morning wrote:
Mr. E wrote:

Yeah they're suicides.

There's no reason to term that a 'wind sprint' since they are done indoors on a basketball court.

And a 'wind sprint' done outside would just be a sprint. There's no need to add the word wind in there other than to try and sound fancy.

Must be a matter of where you're from. I've literally never heard of anyone calling them anything but suicides, but I always played/practiced in the US.
Carlton Blue
Ballboy

Post#340 » by Carlton Blue » Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:36 am

NOD wrote:Or maybe there are too many Aussies who seem to think this is a game of 7's...

It's because most have grown up playing other sports like AFL/Rugby at some stage in their lives and as such aren't soft life time basketballers who cry over a little bump.

No doubt Aussies play the traditionally non-contact sports like Basketball and Soccer with a harder edge.

Return to Olympics